ADVERTISEMENT

Wendy's to start "surge pricing"

All of this...ordered Chikfila using Door Dash...2 adult...2 kids...was almost 70 bucks. Still paid it.

And events are a great example. Everything is overpriced because people pay it. I don't think many that go to Wendy's now are going to stop but time will tell
You paid $70 for the convenience of not having to drive to chik-fil-a, not for the food.

I'd also add this. In the hierarchy of food establishments, there is fast food/QSR burger/chicken/taco joints (ie Mcd, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell) and then there are Fast Casual places like Chipotle, Five guys, Panera that are better quality and cost a bit more. If people who Wendy's is likely to be charging $14 for a value meal during lunch, and they can go to Five Guys and spend $14 for a much better burger/fries, where are more people going?

Reactions: LandoComando
We can't come together because the people are to stupid and busy pointing fingers at each other's political party. Blaming the other for the same things they ignore from their own party. Busy trying to run the other down, then crying foul because the other party is doing the same. Thus country is ****ed, the entire system is corrupt to the core, but the sheep are too buy taking sides and pointing fingers.
Good Post...
OGC.95cdb8915438e5f6da6bf95db8a46866

Reactions: Phil's Rug
You paid $70 for the convenience of not having to drive to chik-fil-a, not for the food.

I'd also add this. In the hierarchy of food establishments, there is fast food/QSR burger/chicken/taco joints (ie Mcd, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell) and then there are Fast Casual places like Chipotle, Five guys, Panera that are better quality and cost a bit more. If people who Wendy's is likely to be charging $14 for a value meal during lunch, and they can go to Five Guys and spend $14 for a much better burger/fries, where are more people going?
I have no idea what "door dash" is all about. I guess if there is a pop up party that you don't want to leave yet feed your guests a chicken sandwich, but that would seem to be pretty rare. To me, doordash and uber eats is the epitome of waster and foolishness. I can't believe someone is paying a driver $10+ to deliver Big Macs.

I guess they have unlimited funds. My father in law used to say "anyone can make a million dollars, but only smart ones can keep it."

Back to surge pricing. I am a big free-market fan. Let them do it. If it works, God bless them, they are making more money. For me, I'll go elsewhere. I like McD because they are consistent. You can go anywhere in the world and get a consistent experience. So you aren't disappointed. If I go to Wendy's and pay more at 12:00:01 than 11:59:59 I won't be back.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Fast food is no longer financially feasible for the average joe. You’re better off going to a diner, to be honest. My daughter and I went to Five Guys, which I love, for the first time in years last month and spent over $40! We each ordered a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink.
I agree that Five Guys has gotten very expensive, but one small differentiator.
There is a difference between fast food/QSR (Wendy's, Taco Bell) and Fast casual(Five Guys, Chipotle). Five guys is better quality than Wendy's so it costs more and takes a few minutes longer.

If Wendy's needs to increase prices, then they need to increase prices. My assessment is that people will not tolerate watching prices change while they stand is line. The idea of waiting 20minutes for a wendy's burger AND having to pay more for the inconvenience will turn customers away, I believe, especially if there are alternatives. This is very similar to Bud Light, economically. Lower quality, commoditized offerings, in a crowded market, are easily avoided.

I have no idea what "door dash" is all about. I guess if there is a pop up party that you don't want to leave yet feed your guests a chicken sandwich, but that would seem to be pretty rare. To me, doordash and uber eats is the epitome of waster and foolishness. I can't believe someone is paying a driver $10+ to deliver Big Macs.

I guess they have unlimited funds. My father in law used to say "anyone can make a million dollars, but only smart ones can keep it."

Back to surge pricing. I am a big free-market fan. Let them do it. If it works, God bless them, they are making more money. For me, I'll go elsewhere. I like McD because they are consistent. You can go anywhere in the world and get a consistent experience. So you aren't disappointed. If I go to Wendy's and pay more at 12:00:01 than 11:59:59 I won't be back.
Here’s another benefit…..if the surge pricing encourages people to come in at off hours it will mean shorter lines, wait times, and more open tables at peak times. So if it’s fitty cents more for the added convenience big deal?

I agree that Five Guys has gotten very expensive, but one small differentiator.
There is a difference between fast food/QSR (Wendy's, Taco Bell) and Fast casual(Five Guys, Chipotle). Five guys is better quality than Wendy's so it costs more and takes a few minutes longer.

If Wendy's needs to increase prices, then they need to increase prices. My assessment is that people will not tolerate watching prices change while they stand is line. The idea of waiting 20minutes for a wendy's burger AND having to pay more for the inconvenience will turn customers away, I believe, especially if there are alternatives. This is very similar to Bud Light, economically. Lower quality, commoditized offerings, in a crowded market, are easily avoided.
It’s not just about prices. In fact, prices may not be the main motivator. It’s is probably more about staffing problems at peak hours. Capacity of grilles, fryers, and tables. Spread out the demand and solve multiple problems.

It’s business management managing problems.

Yes! Generally speaking, they are absurd. My wife, on occasion, when I'd traveling and our daughter was younger, would leverage it, because NOT packing up a youg child to run out was worth more than the delivery charge, but it was certainly the exception. I think she's leveraged DD maybe 3-4 times ever, and me, zero. I don't understand the average person regularly paying for it.

Reactions: Obliviax
Here’s another benefit…..if the surge pricing encourages people to come in at off hours it will mean shorter lines, wait times, and more open tables at peak times. So if it’s fitty cents more for the added convenience big deal?
Yep. That is probably what Wendy's is trying to do. You can't staff up for one hour, nobody will come in for $15 pay. So you have to staff up for several hours. Companies have to staff for peaks. But if they can spread the peaks out, it makes sense. They should get their PR engine out to call it an effort to reduce the price of food as it looks like it is a way to charge more, right now.

Honestly, I had back to back experiences with Wendy's so stopped going. One was in Key West where I waited over 15 minutes after ordering at the drive up at 10pm on a New Years Eve. Back home, I waited ten minutes for my food after paying for it in a drive up. That isn't "fast food". (and my order was standard)

As others have said, the notion of inexpensive fast food is no longer true. I've started to make more and more at home. Even a big can of hearty soup is better for you and less expensive than a run to McDs. And to that, many good means can be had for $15 at restaurants that aren't considered "fast food". There are some local bars that let you drive up and grab a burger or wings for less than $15. But they don't have the marketing engines so you've got to find them.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yes! Generally speaking, they are absurd. My wife, on occasion, when I'd traveling and our daughter was younger, would leverage it, because NOT packing up a youg child to run out was worth more than the delivery charge, but it was certainly the exception. I think she's leveraged DD maybe 3-4 times ever, and me, zero. I don't understand the average person regularly paying for it.
Lots of people in that situation are moving toward the pre-planned and delivered food like Blue Apron or HelloFresh. It is much cheaper and better quality. It takes 15 minutes to cook or microwave, which is less than driving out for it or having it delivered.

Lots of single people do this too because it is hard to cook for just one person without wasting food.

Plus, you can preplan calory intake to have a better healthy and balanced diet.

Reactions: heckmans
Yep. That is probably what Wendy's is trying to do. You can't staff up for one hour, nobody will come in for $15 pay. So you have to staff up for several hours. Companies have to staff for peaks. But if they can spread the peaks out, it makes sense. They should get their PR engine out to call it an effort to reduce the price of food as it looks like it is a way to charge more, right now.

Honestly, I had back to back experiences with Wendy's so stopped going. One was in Key West where I waited over 15 minutes after ordering at the drive up at 10pm on a New Years Eve. Back home, I waited ten minutes for my food after paying for it in a drive up. That isn't "fast food". (and my order was standard)

As others have said, the notion of inexpensive fast food is no longer true. I've started to make more and more at home. Even a big can of hearty soup is better for you and less expensive than a run to McDs. And to that, many good means can be had for $15 at restaurants that aren't considered "fast food". There are some local bars that let you drive up and grab a burger or wings for less than $15. But they don't have the marketing engines so you've got to find them.
I rarely eat fast food. It’s not healthy food. But sometimes it’s the best option when out and about.

Walked into a Wendy’s at 12:15. Very crowded, line barely moving. After a few minutes walked out and shopped at a nearby Lowes. Stopped into Wendy’s at 1:45 got my order in as fast as I decided what to order and walked out shortly after.

Eat at off hours….no big deal.

It’s not just about prices. In fact, prices may not be the main motivator. It’s is probably more about staffing problems at peak hours. Capacity of grilles, fryers, and tables. Spread out the demand and solve multiple problems.

It’s business management managing problems.
Perhaps, but the wild card is alternatives. Management pushing their problems onto consumers is tough ask, especially if BK, up the street, isn't asking.
Something like a toll road/express lanes, with fixed capacity, and HUGE surges, it makes some sense. Take the express lane for $10-20, or spend extra time in traffic/taking a slower route. There is an easy economic decision and the point is to have some drivers NOT use the toll road.

Wendy's is not that. There is no benefit to customers. They get the same marginal food no matter how much they pay or wait. If Wendy's goal is to encourage customers to patronize their competition instead of Wendy's, then this will be successful in the short term, but likely disastrous in the long term.

Perhaps, but the wild card is alternatives. Management pushing their problems onto consumers is tough ask, especially if BK, up the street, isn't asking.
Something like a toll road/express lanes, with fixed capacity, and HUGE surges, it makes some sense. Take the express lane for $10-20, or spend extra time in traffic/taking a slower route. There is an easy economic decision and the point is to have some drivers NOT use the toll road.

Wendy's is not that. There is no benefit to customers. They get the same marginal food no matter how much they pay or wait. If Wendy's goal is to encourage customers to patronize their competition instead of Wendy's, then this will be successful in the short term, but likely disastrous in the long term.
There are several benefits for customers. I already pointed them out.🤷🏾‍♂️

I guess that would be OK if it was Wendy from OnlyFans but this is the fast food joint.

Hey folks. Figure I will just add a tad of context since the news unfortunately spread an insane amount. I'm a Wendy's franchisee and can tell you this isn't happening. We were presented with the dynamic pricing concept more than a year ago to mostly address late night, less profitable times of day in lieu of removing menu items. For some reason, one news agency likened dynamic pricing to surge pricing which is not accurate. There are no statements from anyone at Wendy's talking about surge pricing. Even the quotes they pulled do not state that. Wendy's has already clarified this but as they say the toothpaste is out of the tube. But just wanted to share.

Hey folks. Figure I will just add a tad of context since the news unfortunately spread an insane amount. I'm a Wendy's franchisee and can tell you this isn't happening. We were presented with the dynamic pricing concept more than a year ago to mostly address late night, less profitable times of day in lieu of removing menu items. For some reason, one news agency likened dynamic pricing to surge pricing which is not accurate. There are no statements from anyone at Wendy's talking about surge pricing. Even the quotes they pulled do not state that. Wendy's has already clarified this but as they say the toothpaste is out of the tube. But just wanted to share.
Oh my gosh. You saying that the propaganda media distorted a news article for sensationalism and click bait?

Say it ain’t so, Joe!

thanks for contributing!

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
I rarely eat fast food. It’s not healthy food. But sometimes it’s the best option when out and about.

Walked into a Wendy’s at 12:15. Very crowded, line barely moving. After a few minutes walked out and shopped at a nearby Lowes. Stopped into Wendy’s at 1:45 got my order in as fast as I decided what to order and walked out shortly after.

Eat at off hours….no big deal.
That's my favorite part about having a lunch hour starting at 1130. We miss the peak times.

We can't come together because the people are to stupid and busy pointing fingers at each other's political party. Blaming the other for the same things they ignore from their own party. Busy trying to run the other down, then crying foul because the other party is doing the same. Thus country is ****ed, the entire system is corrupt to the core, but the sheep are too buy taking sides and pointing fingers.
We have govt at all levels by both parties who have been corrupted by lobbyists $, the lack of term limits, and unethica/immoral behavior that continues without negative consequences.

All of this...ordered Chikfila using Door Dash...2 adult...2 kids...was almost 70 bucks. Still paid it.

And events are a great example. Everything is overpriced because people pay it. I don't think many that go to Wendy's now are going to stop but time will tell
No wonder you have such a low station in life. Wasting $70 like that. If you would have invested $70 every week of your life you’d be a millionaire at retirement instead of the sad sack that you are. What a maroon!

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Society has choices and why we as a society can't come together and say enough is enough is beyond me. Right after COVID there was supposedly a chicken shortage. Wings in my area shot up to about 17.00 a dozen. They still haven't came down. Chlorine tabs were another that went through the roof and in typical fashion, they as well haven't come down. It is things like this I want the government to take care of. Problem is both sides of the government are paid some handsomely that they have no reason to help.
The Chlorine shortage was due to a plant shutdown in Louisiana after a hurricane. They were one of my employer's customers at the time. Not sure it is back on line yet.

Wendy's had some recent disappointing financial results. Their new CEO, Kirk Tanner, recently came from PepsiCo where he ran the North American beverage operations. He's a smart guy but this idea is stupid. I'm sure he feels they need to do something to show the shareholders but I don't see this being successful.
Kirk Tanner is a jackass

Many at his former company predicted that Wendy’s will eventually have round burger patties because that asswad cuts so many corners

Fast food is no longer financially feasible for the average joe. You’re better off going to a diner, to be honest. My daughter and I went to Five Guys, which I love, for the first time in years last month and spent over $40! We each ordered a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink.
I dont know how that place stays in business. I had a similar experience there, and they forgot to include the $11 bag of fries I ordered. I didnt notice until I was home. FWIW, somebody gave us a gift card there. so I wanted to use it.

I guess that would be OK if it was Wendy from OnlyFans but this is the fast food joint.

Wendy's knows they screwed up and are back peddling like crazy. Today they said that they never intended to raise prices during periods of high demand and their intent all along has been to lower prices when demand is low. Total BS but that is their current stance. They should fire the person who came up with the phrase "Surge Pricing". Really stupid move.

Reactions: JimNazium
Wendy's knows they screwed up and are back peddling like crazy. Today they said that they never intended to raise prices during periods of high demand and their intent all along has been to lower prices when demand is low. Total BS but that is their current stance. They should fire the person who came up with the phrase "Surge Pricing". Really stupid move.
the problem is the word "surge". Did they come up with that or did the media? Maybe something like "wane pricing"?

I dont know how that place stays in business. I had a similar experience there, and they forgot to include the $11 bag of fries I ordered. I didnt notice until I was home. FWIW, somebody gave us a gift card there. so I wanted to use it.
It’s the Starbucks of burger joints. It’s more about being a status symbol than it is the food.

No wonder you have such a low station in life. Wasting $70 like that. If you would have invested $70 every week of your life you’d be a millionaire at retirement instead of the sad sack that you are. What a maroon!
Money isn't a concern here

People are all about convenience. It's my InstaCart is huge--people would rather pay 10 bucks then spend an hour grocery shopping. Just like many would rather but 5-10 bucks for someone to pick up lunch for them. If you do that once in a while is it any different than having pizza delivered which has been a thing forever?

We'll see how price surging works. All these decisions are based around what their primary customers will do. People that go to Wendy's regularly like will continue to. Those that hit it once in a while still might because they won't even remember this is a thing.

What’s all the grief about? If their peak hours are from noon to one, show up at 11:45. Or 1:10. I usually do that anyway just to avoid long lines and all those dirty huddled masses. The Great Unwashed.
The problem with surge pricing is that you can't really plan. You might plan to eat lunch at 2 but the place just happens to be crowded with kids who got off school early and your burger suddenly costs $10. That would suck. So really the only way to avoid that is to eat somewhere else where the price is the price.

I can see the logic in it from the restaurant's point of view. You have to staff up for busy times and that's expensive because you have to pay extra employees for a block of time that's more than the actual surge.

It might be that surge pricing only applies to delivery orders, Grubhub or Ubereats. Those people are used to surge pricing anyway, and when you're ordering from home, if the price is too high, you just order later.

What might be smarter from Wendy's point of view would be, instead of raising prices at peak times, reduce prices at off peak when your staff is sitting around. Take 50 cents off the burger at 11 a.m. or say 3 p.m. when things are slow. You can adjust your overall prices to bring in just as much revenue but without taking the PR hit of raising prices.

The problem with surge pricing is that you can't really plan. You might plan to eat lunch at 2 but the place just happens to be crowded with kids who got off school early and your burger suddenly costs $10. That would suck. So really the only way to avoid that is to eat somewhere else where the price is the price.

I can see the logic in it from the restaurant's point of view. You have to staff up for busy times and that's expensive because you have to pay extra employees for a block of time that's more than the actual surge.

It might be that surge pricing only applies to delivery orders, Grubhub or Ubereats. Those people are used to surge pricing anyway, and when you're ordering from home, if the price is too high, you just order later.

What might be smarter from Wendy's point of view would be, instead of raising prices at peak times, reduce prices at off peak when your staff is sitting around. Take 50 cents off the burger at 11 a.m. or say 3 p.m. when things are slow. You can adjust your overall prices to bring in just as much revenue but without taking the PR hit of raising prices.
Agree that true surge pricing would be a problem. But I am not sure that is what Wendy’s was proposing. Never….ever….trust the media to get it right. Surge pricing would piss off a ton of people just as you explained.

My guess is that they were talking about peak vs off peak times. That is what management has to plan around.

As @lilromeo posted the idea was tossed out but quickly shot down. Perhpas it will resurface either at Wendys some other establishments. Probably will before long.

Agree that true surge pricing would be a problem. But I am not sure that is what Wendy’s was proposing. Never….ever….trust the media to get it right. Surge pricing would piss off a ton of people just as you explained.

My guess is that they were talking about peak vs off peak times. That is what management has to plan around.

As @lilromeo posted the idea was tossed out but quickly shot down. Perhpas it will resurface either at Wendys some other establishments. Probably will before long.
Arbys has deals where some food items are cheaper at certain times of day.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
who's gonna tell them that a cheeseburger is different than an uber?
can you imagine the negative consumer feelings of standing in line at wendy's and watching the cost of your lunch increase while you are waiting to order?
Maybe we'd be in a more jovial mood if venues would stop surge pricing for beer/concessions at sporting events

The Chlorine shortage was due to a plant shutdown in Louisiana after a hurricane. They were one of my employer's customers at the time. Not sure it is back on line yet.
So there were no other business people in the world that could make chlorine?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT