ADVERTISEMENT

Wendy's to start "surge pricing"

During the production of paper and cloth, chlorine is used as a bleaching agent. It is also used in cleaning products, including household bleach which is chlorine dissolved in water. Chlorine is used in the preparation of chlorides, chlorinated solvents, pesticides, polymers, synthetic rubbers, and refrigerants.

I am not a business person and yet you are an asshole. Just seems silly that nobody else saw a market there....or did they and knew what they could charge now.
So you’re not a business person, have no clue to all the regulatory and financial obstacles involved, how any proposed new manufacturing facility would be delayed for years…… just that you want cheap chlorine tabs.

And whine about chlorine tabs for your pool seems like a first world problem. There are lots of people they can’t afford food. Or medicos. Or utilities. Or rent.

and they are still very high compared to pre covid.
I price shopped quite a bit. For a relatively rural area, we got a number of pool stores. I was amazed at how different prices were for essentially the same product. My uncle is the cheapest I found, even without his friends and family discount. My problem is that he is nearly an hour away.

Sams Club (Members Mark brand) was also decently priced. I took a chance amd bought some to try. So far no issues with using it and their algaecide.

During the production of paper and cloth, chlorine is used as a bleaching agent. It is also used in cleaning products, including household bleach which is chlorine dissolved in water. Chlorine is used in the preparation of chlorides, chlorinated solvents, pesticides, polymers, synthetic rubbers, and refrigerants.
There aren't many substances deadlier than Chlorine gas.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
You left out toxic, explosive, corrosive, flammable, unstable, and more.

All of this...ordered Chikfila using Door Dash...2 adult...2 kids...was almost 70 bucks. Still paid it.

And events are a great example. Everything is overpriced because people pay it. I don't think many that go to Wendy's now are going to stop but time will tell
I will never understand the infatuation with these delivery services like DoorDash, particularly those that then complain about the price. There's an easy solution, go get it yourself. The markup on those services is insane, and then you tip on top of it. Financial highway robbery. The next time I use one of these gig economy services that add 30%+ to your cost will be the first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
RE: Chlorine prices...Like everything thing else, there is no one simple answer. It started with the LA chemical plant fire, one of the largest chlorine plants in the country, at a time just after COVID hit and people were bleaching everything. In addition, the installation of home swimming pools and spas exploded during that time. Finally, inflation...everything costs more now. A triple whammy.

Hey folks. Figure I will just add a tad of context since the news unfortunately spread an insane amount. I'm a Wendy's franchisee and can tell you this isn't happening. We were presented with the dynamic pricing concept more than a year ago to mostly address late night, less profitable times of day in lieu of removing menu items. For some reason, one news agency likened dynamic pricing to surge pricing which is not accurate. There are no statements from anyone at Wendy's talking about surge pricing. Even the quotes they pulled do not state that. Wendy's has already clarified this but as they say the toothpaste is out of the tube. But just wanted to share.
Marketing spin. Dynamic pricing is going to mean the price today will be the lowest price you'll ever see going forward, and it will probably be pushed as a special happy hour or late night price at certain slow times for business. The new "regular" price will be higher the rest of the day. Essentially the same thing but will be spun as a customer benefit just like you're attempting to do now, but overall will equate to a net price increase. Marketing 101.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I will never understand the infatuation with these delivery services like DoorDash, particularly those that then complain about the price. There's an easy solution, go get it yourself. The markup on those services is insane, and then you tip on top of it. Financial highway robbery. The next time I use one of these gig economy services that add 30%+ to your cost will be the first.
I didn't complain about it. Hence still paid it. You pay for convenience which I'm fine with.

I agree that Five Guys has gotten very expensive, but one small differentiator.
There is a difference between fast food/QSR (Wendy's, Taco Bell) and Fast casual(Five Guys, Chipotle). Five guys is better quality than Wendy's so it costs more and takes a few minutes longer.

If Wendy's needs to increase prices, then they need to increase prices. My assessment is that people will not tolerate watching prices change while they stand is line. The idea of waiting 20minutes for a wendy's burger AND having to pay more for the inconvenience will turn customers away, I believe, especially if there are alternatives. This is very similar to Bud Light, economically. Lower quality, commoditized offerings, in a crowded market, are easily avoided.
You mentioned Chipotle…. good food but I am still hungry after I eat a meal there. For Mexican fast food I actually prefer Moe‘s, acceptable quality and the three taco meal is enough to satisfy me. If you’re like me, married with kids in your upper 40s and no longer care what people think, the best deal in town is a Costco samples loop of the store followed by $1.50 hotdog and fountain drink!

You mentioned Chipotle…. good food but I am still hungry after I eat a meal there. For Mexican fast food I actually prefer Moe‘s, acceptable quality and the three taco meal is enough to satisfy me. If you’re like me, married with kids in your upper 40s and no longer care what people think, the best deal in town is a Costco samples loop of the store followed by $1.50 hotdog and fountain drink!
Invest the difference of what you earn and what you spend in an index fund. I predict you will enjoy a very happy retirement.

Reactions: LMTLION
Agree that true surge pricing would be a problem. But I am not sure that is what Wendy’s was proposing. Never….ever….trust the media to get it right. Surge pricing would piss off a ton of people just as you explained.

My guess is that they were talking about peak vs off peak times. That is what management has to plan around.

As @lilromeo posted the idea was tossed out but quickly shot down. Perhpas it will resurface either at Wendys some other establishments. Probably will before long.
I think surge pricing is fine. Those who society values more who have been accordingly blessed with more money get to eat first on their own schedule. Those who have not shown themselves worthy have to wait for off peak times to eat. That's capitalism.

That's a problem for you. You should be concerned no matter what your income or net worth. If you don't care about your money, it will soon be gone.
He should very worried. As soon Trump takes office we evil Rs are gonna steal their playbook and weaponize government against all those wealthy libs until we bankrupt them with lawfare. Including him!

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Not everyone has to worry to the point they can't door dash occasionally
Give it up, Poser. Wealthy people become and stay wealthy by not wasting their money. Even Bezos moves to Florida to avoid wasting millions on their stupid wealth taxes and he’s a billionaire. You’re too stupid wasting money on fast food delivery to ever become wealthy. “We all know it” so quit pretending and get a job.

That's not what you said. You said that "money isn't a concern here". I am merely suggesting that if you don't have concern for your money then you are unlikely to have it long.
Correct it isn't a concern here. No everyone worries about every purchase. We're talking about $70 not $7000 or even $700.

Replace Costco with Sams Club and I'm right there with you. I'll even get crazy sometimes and add on the Frozen Yogurt for another buck each.

Five Guys isn't intended to be cheap. It was also 20 bucks plus tax and tip which is normal if people actually look at the receipt. Five Guys isn't McDonald's or BK or Wendy's. They make that clear.
GHmVXwVW8AUHkXj.jpg

I guess that would be OK if it was Wendy from OnlyFans but this is the fast food joint.

Forget surge pricing. Doing away with the $5 box was criminal. They should have raised the price and kept offering it. My client who is upper middle class loves them but won't pay the new $9.00+ price.
It was a good cooks night off.

no way would I tip 10% at five guys. For places that pay their employees $17/hr here in MD, I dont even tip anymore unless service is spectacular because the restaurant prices have skyrocketed.

This is even more than the standard sit down restaurant price for the same meal here in central MD. Went out Wednesday night and had a burger/fries. Regular burger is 12.99, add cheese and bacon and its 15.99. The fries and drink come with the meal if you get a soda or something but after taxes its still 16.95.

Just looked at the Walmart site. You can bug give pounds of potatoes for &3.27! And you know these restaurants buy by the truckload and get them for half of that.

And soda costs 5-10 cents each.

There's a really good answer to price inflation -- the free market. If people don't want to pay $5 for a single serving of fried potatoes or $3 for sugared water, don't pay it. If enough people make that choice, the price magically goes back down or the place charging those prices goes out of business.

Consumers have to play their part and don't overpay and then the system sorts itself out. But somehow it's become fashionable to make bad choices and then whine when the bill comes due. I loved the NYT columnist who ordered not one but TWO double shots of top shelf bourbon with his burger at the airport and then squealed like a pig when the check was $70.

There's a really good answer to price inflation -- the free market. If people don't want to pay $5 for a single serving of fried potatoes or $3 for sugared water, don't pay it. If enough people make that choice, the price magically goes back down or the place charging those prices goes out of business.

Consumers have to play their part and don't overpay and then the system sorts itself out. But somehow it's become fashionable to make bad choices and then whine when the bill comes due. I loved the NYT columnist who ordered not one but TWO double shots of top shelf bourbon with his burger at the airport and then squealed like a pig when the check was $70.
yep...could have saved $5 by drinking water ($2.89) and skilling the tip for kids that didn't do much but flip a meat pattie (they didn't server or clean the table) ($2.19)

Reactions: tboyer

Yep. Eat at home. Costs about a third or less. Or find a local burger/hot dog joint for half the cost.

No need to eat at a status symbol burger joint. Like drinking Starbucks and whining it cost too much.

yep...could have saved $5 by drinking water ($2.89) and skilling the tip for kids that didn't do much but flip a meat pattie (they didn't server or clean the table) ($2.19)

At some point we just stopped buying soda when we took the kids to restaurants -- cost a lot plus the kids would suck down the sugar and immediately lose all interest in food.

We would try to get them to delay drinking the soda but then that became the sole focus of dinner for them -- to ingest the sugar as soon as possible. It was like putting a little dish of crack in front of an addict.

Yep. Eat at home. Costs about a third or less. Or find a local burger/hot dog joint for half the cost.

No need to eat at a status symbol burger joint. Like drinking Starbucks and whining it cost too much.
Yep. I don't want to be too righteous about it because there are a lot of super busy working people who don't have time or brain space to cook. But, being retired, with a little bit of brain space and a good pantry and freezer, we eat so incredibly well so cheaply.

It doesn't take much skill or time to cook better than we can get in restaurants. Tonight is going to be cassoulet with some leftover ham, chicken thighs, leftover wine, onions beans and veggies. Cost well under $10, it's French peasant food and it will rock.

At some point we just stopped buying soda when we took the kids to restaurants -- cost a lot plus the kids would suck down the sugar and immediately lose all interest in food.

We would try to get them to delay drinking the soda but then that became the sole focus of dinner for them -- to ingest the sugar as soon as possible. It was like putting a little dish of crack in front of an addict.
Soda should be banned. Worse than smoking tobacco. Sugar is a poison. Destroys body chemistry.

I typically tip based on the pre-tax bill; I know that I'm cheap and, in this case, the difference is only 13¢but, just in principle, I wouldn't calculate my tip after tax is added. Am I wrong?
Nope. I don't tip fast food places because I do the majority of the work. If your people need to make more money, give them a higher hourly rate. It all comes out of my pocket, eventually.

I typically tip based on the pre-tax bill; I know that I'm cheap and, in this case, the difference is only 13¢but, just in principle, I wouldn't calculate my tip after tax is added. Am I wrong?
In some cities the restaurant tax is close to 20 percent, so if you tip 25% post-tax (like some restaurant waiters expect) you're really tipping 30%. That is a lot.

It just makes eating out that much more expensive -- a $150 meal becomes more like $200 real quick. It's worth a ticket to Europe just to spend 2 weeks eating in restaurants where the menu price is what you actually pay. Plus wine at the table is E20 a bottle, not $80.

Reactions: Woodpecker
Nope. I don't tip fast food places because I do the majority of the work. If your people need to make more money, give them a higher hourly rate. It all comes out of my pocket, eventually.

Restaurant wait staff (and busboys) make a "tipped minumum wage" ($2.83 an hour in Pa) which presumes they make nearly all their money from tips. So people should tip generously because table service requires a lot of skill to get right. Table waiters in good restaurants make a nice living, and they should.

Counter employees, on the other hand, make an actual minimum wage (and in most places considerably more than the minimum wage) for a job that requires very little skill. Someone making $15 an hour basically answering the phone and handing you bags is less in need of a tip than a skilled table waiter making less than $3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT