ADVERTISEMENT

Weirdest Movie(s) you have ever seen?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
What is the weirdest movie or movies you have seen? I've seen a number over the years, but my guess is that people's standards concerning what is "weird" or "good" might vary considerably. I thought The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and her Lover was both crazy and bad. I also thought The Blair Witch Project was bad in a weird sort of way (with all of the POV shots of people whimpering in fear), and ended up rooting for the (never to be seen) witch. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (with Donald Sutherland) was mainly bad, but also weird. Seems like most weird movies are bad, but they can occasionally be good. The Gods Must Be Crazy was very offbeat, but I thought it was good.

How about you?

What is the weirdest movie or movies you have seen? I've seen a number over the years, but my guess is that people's standards concerning what is "weird" or "good" might vary considerably. I thought The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and her Lover was both crazy and bad. I also thought The Blair Witch Project was bad in a weird sort of way (with all of the POV shots of people whimpering in fear), and ended up rooting for the (never to be seen) witch. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (with Donald Sutherland) was mainly bad, but also weird. Seems like most weird movies are bad, but they can occasionally be good. The Gods Must Be Crazy was very offbeat, but I thought it was good.

How about you?
The Cook is worth it for the Helen Mirren sex scenes!
helen-mirren-nude-movie.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
Movie 43 was pretty terrible. I’m not sure what dirt they had on these big name stars to actually get them to film that. Also, The Tree of Life. It was supposedly one of the best films of the decade, but it kept flashing back to dinosaurs, and made no sense whatsoever. My wife and I turned it off after 30 minutes.

Eyes Wide Shut....weird and bad, but with a ton of skin.
Agree. The nudity was the only thing that made that movie worth watching. It was weird.
Yeah, weird and bad seems to be the general evaluation of Eyes Wide Shut but for some reason I like it more than a lot of Kubrik’s other stuff. (2001 totally does not work for me.)

Last edited:

How about you?

Eraserhead.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Blue Velvet (1986) by David Lynch with Kyle MacLachlan, Dennis Hopper, Isabella Rossellini and Laura Dern. Nearly followed a dozen other theater goers out the door at about the 15-minute mark, but ended up being glad I hung in there and stayed 'til the end.

The Room. Cult classic for how bad it is, but my goodness Tommy Wisseau is so weird.

Also, human centipede.

Maybe it’s because I don’t seek out weird movies, but the only movie that popped into my head was A Clockwork Orange. I guess the movie was no more weird than the book, but it was very disturbing. Started out with an “X” rating, as I recall, but was an “R” when I saw it in a local theater when I was in high school.

Not a movie, but if you have at least 15 minutes to spare while you’re channel surfing, pop into The Oval on the BET network.

The show is written, directed and produced by Tyler Perry. It is about a mixed race family whose white male husband/father is POTUS.

The terrible directing and shooting, the absolutely bonkers plot, awful acting and even worse script writing, actually make the show watchable and have you questioning whether Tyler Perry intentionally made it so bad. The show does readily admit that it’s a “soap opera.” However the marketing makes it seem as if they are taking themselves seriously.

Most of the show is filmed in front of a green screen, and it is sooo obvious that part of your brain spends most of its time trying to figure out who is and is not part of the green screen.

The weirdness comes with the 5,000 different and completely stupid mini-plot lines that happen in every episode, especially when there really is no over arching or major plot line or theme running through the show. (again it is a soap)

Reactions: BBrown
Two movies stick out to me.

1970’s “ I spit on your grave” which is considered the worst movie of the 1970s so I should have known

Modern problems with Chevy chase came out at Christmas and we walked out. Only movie in my life I have walked out of because it was so bad.

Blue Velvet (1986) by David Lynch with Kyle MacLachlan, Dennis Hopper, Isabella Rossellini and Laura Dern. Nearly followed a dozen other theater goers out the door at about the 15-minute mark, but ended up being glad I hung in there and stayed 'til the end.

Probably in my top 10 of favorite movies.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Midnighter2
Momento

A man who, as a result of an injury, has anterograde amnesia (the inability to form new memories) and has short-term memory loss approximately every fifteen minutes. He is searching for the people who attacked him and killed his wife, using an intricate system of Polaroidphotographs and tattoos to track information he cannot remember.

At least 10 people walked out. The guy behind us stood up and announced, “This is the worst movie I’ve ever seen.”

Not a movie, but if you have at least 15 minutes to spare while you’re channel surfing, pop into The Oval on the BET network.

The show is written, directed and produced by Tyler Perry. It is about a mixed race family whose white male husband/father is POTUS.

The terrible directing and shooting, the absolutely bonkers plot, awful acting and even worse script writing, actually make the show watchable and have you questioning whether Tyler Perry intentionally made it so bad. The show does readily admit that it’s a “soap opera.” However the marketing makes it seem as if they are taking themselves seriously.

Most of the show is filmed in front of a green screen, and it is sooo obvious that part of your brain spends most of its time trying to figure out who is and is not part of the green screen.

The weirdness comes with the 5,000 different and completely stupid mini-plot lines that happen in every episode, especially when there really is no over arching or major plot line or theme running through the show. (again it is a soap)

LOL that pretty much describes all of Tyler Perry's TV shows. I'm not even sure they have a script.

Reactions: MoyerJones
Happy Birthday to Me and Pandemonium - there were always on cable when we first got it back in the very early 80s.

Maybe it’s because I don’t seek out weird movies, but the only movie that popped into my head was A Clockwork Orange. I guess the movie was no more weird than the book, but it was very disturbing. Started out with an “X” rating, as I recall, but was an “R” when I saw it in a local theater when I was in high school.
I saw A Clockwork Orange as a midnight showing at The Forum in college. My girlfriend was the Arts Editor for the Collegian and had talked this up as an incredible film. I had no idea what to expect content wise- but I found the gratuitous violence bizarre and upsetting. "Art" and "Great" are definitely in the eyes of the beholders. It totally ruined my buzz....never saw it again.

How about you?

I throw in
-Donnie Darko with Jake Gyllenhaal (2001)
-Horse Girl starring Allison Brie (2020 on Netflix)

Reactions: PSUSignore
Momento

A man who, as a result of an injury, has anterograde amnesia (the inability to form new memories) and has short-term memory loss approximately every fifteen minutes. He is searching for the people who attacked him and killed his wife, using an intricate system of Polaroidphotographs and tattoos to track information he cannot remember.

At least 10 people walked out. The guy behind us stood up and announced, “This is the worst movie I’ve ever seen.”
Seriously? Saw it at Sundance and I thought to myself, "This director is going to have an amazing career." I thought it was very thought provoking and original. It crushed the festival circuit and even though domestic distributors were hesitant and unsure how to market it, the film still ended up with a mushrooming release and made a nice profit.

I'd cringe if I looked at that "worst movie ever" guy's DVD collection.

Nolan sure survived the experience. His next movie had a $46M budget and he became Warner Bros. A-list director.

Perfume, with Dustin Hoffman & Ben Whishaw. Whishaw was Rabbi Milligan in S4 of Fargo.

I read the book before the movie and wow, it's just - bonkers. I forgot Whishaw was in that. It's a gritty movie and mostly fine up until the end, which is just f'n insane.

Eraserhead
Eraserhead and Blue Velvet are both mentioned on this thread, both by David Lynch. Anything by David Lynch is weird.

Lynch's movies are weird but with purpose; everything means something - it's just filtered through his very hard art house/French cinema/auteur lens. I would add Lost Highway to this group, but maybe not Mulholland Drive - he did try to explain that to people (with some success). It's actually amazing (and a testament to Lynch's ability to tell a compelling, immersive story) that Twin Peaks was a hit show in this country for years.

Momento

Quentin Tarantino punched a pretty big hole in Memento when it came out - 'If he has short term memory loss, how can he remember that he can't remember?' It's a good question, but ruins the fun - Memento is a great film IMO and a testament to Christopher Nolan's ability to use time as a narrative in innovative ways (which is the case with *all* of his non-Batman movies - Inception, Tenet, even Dunkirk - all use time in different ways to tell a story).

The one movie that is so subversive and weird that I can't believe it actually got made by MTV is 'Freddy Got Fingered' - it's one giant prank by Tom Green on the whole movie industry. A series of surrealist non-sequiturs that add up to nothing; everyone plays it pretty straight, especially Rip Torn as his dad, but really, it's just a bunch of absurdist sketches stitched together with zero point.

The 'weirdest' movie I've seen that made me feel the worst is 'Happiness'. Don't watch it, despite the amazing cast (Philip Seymour Hoffman, Lara Flynn Boyle, Jon Lovitz, Dylan Baker). Actually, the opening scene is awesome, but stop after that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT