ADVERTISEMENT

WE ARE...#12

The Fiesta would have to take an SEC team with one of their spots. So, that doesn't work. Texas winning rules us out completely.
Thought that may have a shot because UCF was in Peach last year so Fiesta would make sense for them then OU would bring more fans to or easier for them to go to Phoenix so that could be a plausible option.

I don't know how the Peach and Fiesta bowls actually decide the teams and if there are a series of picks e.g. you pick first ,I pick second, you pick third etc.

Sounds like even when picking the at large teams there are conferences they need to take.

At the end of the day PSU's ideal scenario is for UGA to knock off Bama, OU to beat UT and OSU to beat NW. That puts OSU out of playoff (good thing) and ScUM drops to Fiesta which is a BIG disappointment for them from potential playoff just a week earlier. PSU gets NY6 bowl with Peach bowl against higher ranked SEC team. We win that and finish top 10. Pretty good for self destructing and blowing two games in the season.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the rankings of PSU versus Florida or LSU are meaningless in determining which team gets chosen for a NY6 -- as long as the team in question is in the Top 12. For Power 5 conferences, only teams in the top 12 of the final CFP rankings are eligible for an at large spots. But the rankings are used to determine what specific teams are chosen.

The Peach or Fiesta could chose to take PSU over Florida or LSU (I think technically the CFP selection committee assigns teams, but they get input from the bowls) regardless of the rankings as long as PSU is in the Top 12. The problem is that the Fiesta won't be as interested in PSU since we went last year. And the Peach is going to take an SEC team so it is not a PSU versus one of them situation.

So my question: is it possible that (assuming tOSU does not make the CFP and goes to the Rose) that the Fiesta could take Michigan and pair them versus UCF? This would leave the Peach to take PSU versus Florida (or LSU). If I were the Fiesta, I think I'd rather have Michigan than LSU in terms of who might be the bigger draw. It doesn't look like Michigan has been to the Fiesta Bowl since the 1985 season.

This is exactly what I expect will happen, doctornick. Apparently, we are in the vast minority on this board. But I am pretty confident that we are correct.

This is exactly what I expect will happen, doctornick. Apparently, we are in the vast minority on this board. But I am pretty confident that we are correct.
This is a good point but people think in this scenario between the Peach and Fiesta they will split the two SEC teams who are both ranked above us then have ScUM and UCF as their opponents leaving us out.

Remember, the only reason ScUM could drop to the Fiesta is if OSU is out of the playoff and takes the Rose. One way that happens (I will explain the other way below in the next paragraph) is if OU goes to the playoff which leaves us in a death struggle for the last NY6 bid between FL and LSU which we won't win. The committee loves the SEC, there is a reason a 3 loss LSU is 10th ranked and only dropped 3 spots with their loss last week. The committee wants them in a NY6 bowl.

So, the scenario you outline (where scUM is in the Fiesta) can work for us BUT only if either FL or LSU goes to the Sugar so both teams do not hog spots in the Peach and Fiesta. How does that happen? Happens with GA beating Bama (GA now in playoff with Bama) and OU beating UT (OU in Sugar and UT gone with 4 losses). OSU also needs to win sending them to the Rose and we are back to scUM in Fiesta. Peach and Fiesta have scUM, UCF, FL/LSU (whoever does not go to Sugar) AND PSU!

This is a good point but people think in this scenario between the Peach and Fiesta they will split the two SEC teams who are both ranked above us then have ScUM and UCF as their opponents leaving us out.

Remember, the only reason ScUM could drop to the Fiesta is if OSU is out of the playoff and takes the Rose. One way that happens (I will explain the other way below in the next paragraph) is if OU goes to the playoff which leaves us in a death struggle for the last NY6 bid between FL and LSU which we won't win. The committee loves the SEC, there is a reason a 3 loss LSU is 10th ranked and only dropped 3 spots with their loss last week. The committee wants them in a NY6 bowl.

So, the scenario you outline (where scUM is in the Fiesta) can work for us BUT only if either FL or LSU goes to the Sugar so both teams do not hog spots in the Peach and Fiesta. How does that happen? Happens with GA beating Bama (GA now in playoff with Bama) and OU beating UT (OU in Sugar and UT gone with 4 losses). OSU also needs to win sending them to the Rose and we are back to scUM in Fiesta. Peach and Fiesta have scUM, UCF, FL/LSU (whoever does not go to Sugar) AND PSU!

Alternatively if you get two upsets in the ccgs you probably end up with psu/LSU in the citrus.

Was easier for at large to make NY6 last year because 3 bowls could select at large teams. If this was last years bowl set up, we'd be in it again. Since Cotton is a playoff this year, we screwed.

We'd already be out with last year's set up. The Orange would have had to take an ACC team. Syracuse would have taken our spot

The "we are" chant does not mean "we are... players and/or coaches of the Penn State football team".

Saying "we" or "us' doesn't mean "we are players". It is referring to the program we're discussing. The fact you're even trying to make that an issue is ridiculous but predictable. I will continue to use it. Hell, I'll probably use it more now. Thanks

Reactions: odshowtime
I think Georgia stays at 4 in that scenario unless they get blown out. But, yes, absolutely a nightmare especially if UCF beats Memphis

I think they might actually put UCF in in that case. Bama would slaughter them and that would be that. I don't get the logic that with only 4 slots you have to put a team that just lost their ccg into the playoff to play the team that just beat them. Let someone else get their shot at the team that just beat you.

2187 is Pitt's Year said:
Saying "we" or "us' doesn't mean "we are players". It is referring to the program we're discussing.

Well that's certainly one interpretation. It's an incorrect interpretation, but it's certainly an interpretation. I like that you stick to your guns, all 21 of them. It let's other people know that you have a poor grasp of the English language, and you don't care who knows.

So if those terms are used to refer to a football program you as an outsider are discussing, what words would those who are actually involved with the program (players, coaches, etc) use to refer to their program?

The fact you're even trying to make that an issue is ridiculous but predictable.

I think it's hilarious that your need to live vicariously through the accomplishments of a football "program" is so strong, that you feel the need to make this an issue. I simply questioned your involvement with the team, which highlighted your mistake.

Predictable?!?!? How could you predict anything, you are new here!

I will continue to use it. Hell, I'll probably use it more now. Thanks

Hook, Line, and Sinker!

puppets.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT