ADVERTISEMENT

VJ vs AM

SJP80

Sep 22, 2013
What real wrestling fan doesn’t like to see a Vincenzo Joseph vs Alex Marinelli match. Great action between two evenly matched wrestlers. I could watch those guys all day. It sure feels like VJs turn to win in a few weeks. Plus, I’m much more comfortable Cenzo won’t have a slip up on the way...

I hate that Cenzo lost, but the real prize is in Minneapolis. It should be the last match of the year....hopefully we have pulled a Hail Mary and it means more than just Cenzos 3rd title!!!

Unfortunately the loss to Marinelli will likely place them vs each other in the semis. I expect Griffith will get the 1 seed. The drooling for Cenzo and the Bull in the NCAA finals is over. :(

Reactions: Dogwelder
I hadn't even thought about Griffith with the one, but it makes sense. Damn. Oh well.

Unfortunately the loss to Marinelli will likely place them vs each other in the semis. I expect Griffith will get the 1 seed. The drooling for Cenzo and the Bull in the NCAA finals is over. :(

Nomad, who usually has been pretty good with the formula for Nationals, has Marinelli at the 1 seed. Griffith and Cenzo interchangeable at 2/3 depending on RPI. I would be surprised if Griffith got the one.

Marinelli and Cenzo both have quality wins(20%), coaches rank(15%) and RPI(10%) over Griffith. Griffith's only advantage over Marinelli is winning percentage(10%) and he has winning% and qualifying event placement(10%) over VJ. As long as the seeding criteria hasn't changed, it should go (1)Marinelli, (2)Joseph, (3)Griffith.

VJ and AM is a coin flip when they wrestle. It's become a great rivalry.

My youngest daughter who is 24 and a sports fan is watching the match with me yesterday says. " He looks like he's 38 years old with a mortgage payment." I laughed out loud.

We actually have one of those on our team and he also punched his way to Minneapolis.

Great comment on her part.

Agree with the posts that have Marinelli as top-seed. Understand the math too, but will wait patiently until it's in black-and-white.

Reactions: Dwayne_Johnson33
Marinelli after his match admitted during the dual meet that he didn't give Cenzo enough respect and just assumed he will win the upper body position every time and said now he knows he has to back out of it sometimes. When accepting the trophy with Spencer he said he has a great deal of respect for Cenzo, amazing competitor and that he loves that there's always fireworks whenever they wrestle. Very classy by Bull.

Big change from last year when he said "that was won on my attacks not his" then in his interview with Flo he said "you'd think he'd learn". Not saying those were classless comments but he clearly thought he always is winning the upper body exchange with Cenzo. Who can blame him, he completely kicked Cenzo's ass in the 2019 B1G finals. He admitted that affected his dual as he went for it again when it wasn't there. He knew yesterday a few of those upper body positions weren't going to go his way and backed out. Funny enough, it might have helped if Cenzo was 0-4 against Bull now without hitting the upper body move and save it for Nationals aha.

Either way, I hope to see them wrestle one final time. Hat tip to Marinelli, that was the most exciting 3-2 match I think I'll ever watch.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Griffith. Assuming he and VJ meet in the semifinals, what kind of match can we expect?
I'd say low scoring, most likely a 1 takedown match. Griffith has exceptional defense. They did meet last year during Griffith's redshirt without checking I believe it was a 2 point or so match, something like 6-4.

I am not familiar with Griffith. Assuming he and VJ meet in the semifinals, what kind of match can we expect?
Griffith's best win is against shields 3-0 and in SV. This year he hasnt even wrestled the Big10 competitors at this weight who are IMO the cream of 165.

My prediction? He doesn't make it to the semis. If he does, VJ wins in a controlled manner.

Seen him (video) several times, and he 1) is rarely out of position, and 2) wrestles a controlled style, meaning not a lot of attacks, and very good defense. I agree, it likely would be low scoring. I do believe wrestling Cenzo for the first time, if they meet, is advantage Cenzo.

Looked at WrestleStat, and Griffith did pin Ethan Smith (tOSU), and beat Shields twice in the season. Nice resume.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
Seen him (video) several times, and he 1) is rarely out of position, and 2) wrestles a controlled style, meaning not a lot of attacks, and very good defense. I agree, it likely would be low scoring. I do believe wrestling Cenzo for the first time, if they meet, is advantage Cenzo.

Looked at WrestleStat, and Griffith did pin Ethan Smith (tOSU), and beat Shields twice in the season. Nice resume.

They wrestled at the Scuffle last year, he wrestled Cenzo tough as a true freshman. I expect a nail biter if it happens.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
They wrestled at the Scuffle last year, he wrestled Cenzo tough as a true freshman. I expect a nail biter if it happens.
Thanks, forgot about that. For those with Flo, you can see the Scuffle bout. All the offensive scoring was in the 1st period. Cenzo with the first takedown, Griffith with the next, tying the bout 3-3. Cenzo with a late takedown to go up 5-3 at the end of the period. Traded escapes the last two periods for the final 6-4 score.

Griffith also beat Wittlake and Monday this year.

The only other possible quarters opponents who could give him trouble are White and Wick.

Reactions: diggerpup
Marinelli after his match admitted during the dual meet that he didn't give Cenzo enough respect and just assumed he will win the upper body position every time and said now he knows he has to back out of it sometimes. When accepting the trophy with Spencer he said he has a great deal of respect for Cenzo, amazing competitor and that he loves that there's always fireworks whenever they wrestle. Very classy by Bull.

Big change from last year when he said "that was won on my attacks not his" then in his interview with Flo he said "you'd think he'd learn". Not saying those were classless comments but he clearly thought he always is winning the upper body exchange with Cenzo. Who can blame him, he completely kicked Cenzo's ass in the 2019 B1G finals. He admitted that affected his dual as he went for it again when it wasn't there. He knew yesterday a few of those upper body positions weren't going to go his way and backed out. Funny enough, it might have helped if Cenzo was 0-4 against Bull now without hitting the upper body move and save it for Nationals aha.

Either way, I hope to see them wrestle one final time. Hat tip to Marinelli, that was the most exciting 3-2 match I think I'll ever watch.
Cenzo almost caught Marinelli again yesterday but he was able to roll through it. If it wasn't for Marinelli being covered in sweat, Cenzo most likely hangs on to him and it is a 4 or 6 point move.

The two blood timeouts helped a lot too. That is the way it goes.

Cenzo almost caught Marinelli again yesterday but he was able to roll through it. If it wasn't for Marinelli being covered in sweat, Cenzo most likely hangs on to him and it is a 4 or 6 point move.

He also came close to getting him in a cow catcher in the 2nd period when Marinelli reached back for the head on bottom.

Sweat? Lmao. Blood timeouts? Marinelli needed a breather since when?

Cenzo definitely tried more leg attacks this time. AM has great defense, but he has two weeks with the coaches to fine-tune and go for another championship.

Griffith also beat Wittlake and Monday this year.

The only other possible quarters opponents who could give him trouble are White and Wick.

Griffith was #1 RPI prior to the tournaments as well.

I’ve seen the committee drop Ed Ruth in favor of an undefeated and equally less qualified Jimmy Sheptock.

Why, because he lost to Gabe Dean. Sooooo. I think he shouldn’t be #1 but the precedent is there.

Griffith is from Bergen Catholic!! That is all you need to know!! You can never count out a Crusader!!

Cenzo definitely tried more leg attacks this time. AM has great defense, but he has two weeks with the coaches to fine-tune and go for another championship.

I think that was a Cael/Cenzo scout match. You can see that Cenzo is in Marinelli's head and he is now nervous rather that confident in his tie-ups with Cenzo. I expect Cenzo to completely flip the script in the NCAAs final. He has the talent to do it. He took down IMAR twice! He can take down the Bull. That last match was razor close. I thought Cenzo did a good job getting to AMs legs but AM was able to just step in time. I have faith in Cael and Cenzo!

Anyone know what the deal was with Wick taken the default first round in the tourney? I wasn’t aware he was injured.

I could watch these two (vj/am) wrestle every week and it wouldn’t get boring.

Griffith was #1 RPI prior to the tournaments as well.

I’ve seen the committee drop Ed Ruth in favor of an undefeated and equally less qualified Jimmy Sheptock.

Why, because he lost to Gabe Dean. Sooooo. I think he shouldn’t be #1 but the precedent is there.
Personally, I believe that Griffith deserves the top seed. And I also believe that it would be advantageous to Cenzo to meet Marinelli on Friday night where he he has had less time to recover from his earlier bouts or to gain more weight.

Last edited:
If Joseph does take 2nd at NCAA’s do you think he’ll actually accept his medal? Or turn it down on the stand like his B1G silver this year?

If Joseph does take 2nd at NCAA’s do you think he’ll actually accept his medal? Or turn it down on the stand like his B1G silver this year?
Do you read HR? Everyone over there is admitting that you guys are winning this contest 2-1 with Perry and Mcdonough.

Mark Perry and McD have no impact on what Joesph will do on the stand. Do you think he will refuse the trophy? Or take it?

Who knows. Maybe he should try the Marinelli strategy. If you lose on Friday at Nationals you can get the disappointment out of the way, that way you are comfortable with that fake smile from the bottom of the podium.

Reactions: danoftw
Who knows. Maybe he should try the Marinelli strategy. If you lose on Friday at Nationals you can get the disappointment out of the way, that way you are comfortable with that fake smile from the bottom of the podium.

Do you think the extra time would be enough for him?

This would be best case for PSU's path to winning the NC. Taking out AM prior to the final's will widen the points gap at 165. Same for 133, 141, 174, 184 & 197. The sooner our guys can hit the Iowa guys in the tournament the better.

It would be shocking for Griffith to be over Marinelli. MAYBE over Cenzo because of conference placement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT