ADVERTISEMENT

US News ranks Penn State 14th among public universities

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Big Ten Schools are well-regarded academically. Northwestern is ranked as the #12 National University by US News. The other Big Ten schools are considered to be some of the best public universities in the country. US News ranks the University of Michigan as the #4 public university (#27 National University), University of Illinois and the University of Wisconsin are ranked at #10, Penn State at #14, Ohio State at #16, University of Maryland and Purdue at #20, Rutgers at #25, University of Minnesota at #26, Michigan State and the University of Iowa at #33, Indiana University at 36, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln at #51.

WHERE WE STAND
For more than 150 years we've been leaders in higher education, as shown by rankings from those who monitor academe from the outside. Here are a few examples of recent rankings, primarily relating to our academic standing.

RECENT RANKINGS
U.S. News & World Report, America's Best Graduate Schools 2018

Business:

• Smeal College of Business overall 36
  • Supply Chain/Logistics, #6
Education:

• College of Education overall tied for #38
  • Vocational/Technical Education, #2
  • Higher Education Administration, #6
  • Administration and Supervision, #9
  • Educational Policy, #10
Engineering:

• College of Engineering overall tied for #32
  • Petroleum Engineering, #6
  • Industrial/Manufacturing/Systems Engineering, tied for #8
  • Nuclear Engineering, #8
  • Biological/Agricultural Engineering, #9
Health Disciplines (ranked in 2016):

• Clinical Psychology (doctorate), tied for #18
  • Health Care Management (master's/doctorate), tied for #27
  • Rehabilitation Counseling (master's/doctorate), tied for #6
  • Speech-Language Pathology (master's), tied for #21
Law:

• Penn State Dickinson Law overall tied for #65
  • Penn State Law overall tied for #82
Nursing:

• College of Nursing overall tied for #20
Social Sciences and Humanities:

• Developmental Psychology, tied for #5
  • Sociology of Population, #7
  • Sociology, #17
  • Economics, tied for #25
  • Political Science, tied for #33
  • English, tied for #27
  • Psychology, tied for #26
Sciences (ranked in 2015):

• Geology, tied for #1
  • Environmental Sciences, tied for #2
  • Geochemistry, #2
  • Earth Sciences, #6
  • Paleontology, #8
  • Cosmology/Relativity/Gravity, #10
  • Statistics, tied for #20
  • Chemistry, tied for #21
  • Physics, tied for #23
  • Mathematics, tied for #28
  • Computer Science, tied for #29
  • Biological Sciences, tied for #42
U.S. News 2017 Best Online Program Rankings

Penn State is ranked No. 8 (tied) for the best online bachelor's programs in the country in U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 “Best Online Programs." Individual programs ranked include:

• #4 for best online graduate engineering programs
  • #5 for best online graduate computer information technology programs
  • #7 (tied) for best online graduate business programs excluding MBA
  • #8 for best online MBA programs
  • #9 for best online graduate education programs
U.S. News & World Report "Best Colleges" (Undergraduate) 2017

Penn State ranks No. 50 overall among national universities in U.S. News & World Report's 2017 "Best Colleges" rankings. The University comes in No. 14 among national public universities.

Best Undergraduate Business Programs:

• Overall, #23
  • Accounting, #34
  • Finance, #27
  • Insurance, #10
  • Management, #23
  • Marketing, #24
  • Production / Operation Management, #16
  • Supply Chain Management / Logistics, #5
Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs:

• Overall, #18
  • Aerospace Engineering, #16
  • Chemical Engineering, #18
  • Industrial / Manufacturing Engineering, #9
  • Materials Engineering, #10
Diverse Issues In Higher Education

Diverse rates Penn State among the Top 100 Undergraduate Degree Producers, all disciplines combined, for the latest available academic year, 2014-15. The University ranks No. 57 for Total Minority Bachelor's Degrees; No. 44 for Asian American Bachelor's Degrees; No. 65 for African American Bachelor's Degrees; and No. 76 for Hispanic Bachelor's Degrees.

U.S. News & World Report, Best Children's Hospitals

In 2016, for the sixth consecutive year, Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital ranks among best U.S. hospitals in five pediatrics specialties — cancer, neonatology, neurology & neurosurgery, orthopedics, and urology —in U.S. News & World Report's Best Children's Hospitals.

DesignIntelligence 2015

For the fourth consecutive year, Penn State's undergraduate landscape architecture program has been ranked in the top 3, ranking #1 in the east and #2 overall; the graduate program ranked #5 in the east and #9 overall. In addition, Penn State's architecture program is #16 nationwide in undergraduate architecture programs.

Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014-15

Penn State is ranked No. 68 internationally, by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2016-17.

Center for World University Rankings 2014, Top 100

Penn State is ranked at No. 52 internationally in the 2016 Center for World University Rankings, and ranked 35 nationally.

ADDITIONAL RANKINGS
Gartner, Inc.:
Penn State Smeal College of Business has the No. 1 undergraduate and graduate programs in supply chain management in the country, according to technology research firm Gartner, Inc., in 2016.

Pollstar has announced that the Bryce Jordan Center on the University Park campus has been ranked fourth in the world in concert and event tickets sold among university venues for the first half of 2016, with 66,115 tickets sold. Pollstar is an official trade publication for the concert tour industry.

The 2016 Campus Pride Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning-Friendly Campus Climate Index has ranked Penn State among the top 30 schools in the nation. The University once again received 4.5 out of five stars for overall campus climate by Campus Pride, a national nonprofit organization for student leaders and campus groups working to improve LGBTQ environments at colleges and universities.

Academic Ranking of World Universities (AWRU) has ranked Penn State at 77th in its 2016 ranking of the top 100 world-class universities. Penn State comes in at 41st nationally.

Institute of International Education: Penn State ranks 13th in the U.S. and 1st in Pennsylvania for institutions hosting international students in 2014-15, with 7,728 students at the University Park campus, in addition to several more thousand across the Commonwealth, according to the Institute of International Education’s (IIE) annual Open Doors report for 2014-15.

Association of Research Libraries: The 2013-14 Association of Research Libraries Library Investment Index Rankings list of top research universities in North America ranks the Penn State University Libraries at 10th. The ARL ranking system is based on dollars spent for total library expenditures, salaries and wages and library materials, plus the number of professional plus support staff employees. 

The Chronicle of Higher Education ranks Penn State in 2016 among the top producer of Fulbright scholarsamong research institutions in the nation, with six awards for 2016.

National Research Corporation: Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has been named by in 2016 a Consumer Choice Award winner for Pennsylvania for the 17th consecutive year by the National Research Corporation.

Aviation Week Top Universities for A&D (aerospace and defense): According to Aviation Week's annual Workforce Study for 2016, Penn State is a "preferred supplier" based on the ability to recruit students on campus who are both well-prepared academically and in programs that have a record for quality research and alumni. Penn State was also named among young professionals when asked how important they believe their alma mater is to their career growth.

Compiled by: Penn State Office of Strategic Communications

Last edited:
My Boss always insisted that this would be the eventual and undeniable outcome. It took a little longer than even she desired, but who can really predict “time”?

She is so smart and “well-endowed”...physically and financially. :)

Reactions: 91Joe95
Well, since the data US News uses in the 2017 Rankings is from the entering classes of 2007-2010, that's about what one would expect. (4th-5th in the Big Ten)

[BTW, US News doesn't "hide" that fact, that is just their methodology. It is clearly noted in their data - if anyone actually reads their stuff]

Which is nice - but then makes one weep to see how steeply Penn State has fallen in the succeeding 7 years........ from 4th to 10th in the Conference, in just 7 years.

Alas.

But, of course, these are all the:

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:

The only numbers that really matter are "11" and "11" - - - - the number of wins recorded by the football team the last 2 years.

Hey Norm,
Not sure what your agenda is here.

In your prior post, "PSU # 10", I pointed out that those rankings were based on A SINGLE METRIC. Incoming freshman SAT scores. Thats it. You seem to be ignoring this FACT.

US News rankings are based as follows. And I quote. "To calculate the rankings, U.S. News gathers data from each college on up to 15 indicators of academic excellence. For more details on the variables used, see the "Ranking Model Indicators" section below."

So, to use a football analogy, PSU gets 3* recruits, but coaches them up to be the #14 public school, #3 in B10. Whereas other B10 teams get 4* recruits, but do not coach them up as well.

Hey Norm,
Not sure what your agenda is here.

In your prior post, "PSU # 10", I pointed out that those rankings were based on A SINGLE METRIC. Incoming freshman SAT scores. Thats it. You seem to be ignoring this FACT.

US News rankings are based as follows. And I quote. "To calculate the rankings, U.S. News gathers data from each college on up to 15 indicators of academic excellence. For more details on the variables used, see the "Ranking Model Indicators" section below."

So, to use a football analogy, PSU gets 3* recruits, but coaches them up to be the #14 public school, #3 in B10. Whereas other B10 teams get 4* recruits, but do not coach them up as well.

Exactly. There's ranking the incoming students, and then there is ranking the university. Of course there is SOME correlation between those rankings, but they are two completely different and separate things.

A changing average SAT score of the incoming students does not change the quality of the education and opportunities provided/offered by the University.

We Are #4 in the Big 10, and #14 among all public universities in the United States, according to the US News article which focuses heavily on student and faculty achievement indicators. I edited the original post and added a lot more detail. I’m not sure why the school of anthropology wasn’t shown as I believe we are ranked #1 in the country.

Last edited:
Agenda (LOL).

Yep, the "Agenda" I have is a preference to use facts.
Non-subjective, quantifiable, unmitigated facts - to support reason, logic, analysis, and conclusions.

(By the way - there are far more than one factual, quantifiable metric - including things like Yield, Student Aid, Debt Load, etc etc etc...... all of which I included in that BLOG.
All measures by which - if you pondered a look, or (God forbid) actually did the research independently - you would realize place PSU in even worse standing.
Of course, that is only meaningful and beneficial for those folks who are literate)

But that is so passe.
Better to ignore and continue the death spiral - so much more fun (at least a hell of a lot easier) than actually recognizing - and correcting - the problems. :)

But bull-shit, spin, and ignorance are so much more constructive - certainly so much more prevalent - perhaps I should re-tack?

PS - You may want to actually look at - and read - the section you mentioned: "..."Ranking Model Indicators" section below..."

Cut and pasted from your post:

'Incoming Freshmen Academic Profile: 1) Northwestern 1480 2) Michigan 1405 3) Illinois 1345 4) Maryland 1315 5) Minnesota 1307 6) Wisconsin 1290 7) Rutgers 1229 8) Ohio State 1220 9) Purdue 1214
10) PENN STATE 1190
11) Indiana 1171 12) Iowa 1160 13) Nebraska 1151 14) Michigan State 1128'

These are average SAT scores, nothing else.

You're a moron or a liar or both.

Our law school ranking is the 12th worst in the Big Ten. Only Michigan State, and Purdue are worse. Purdue can be excused because it had no law school until last year when it bought an unaccredited on line law school called Concord. It should be noted that only California allows graduates of unaccredited law schools to take the bar exam and Concord's pass rate there was 16%. Given that fact, I guess you could say Purdue still has no law school which means we are next to last in the BigTen. :(

Last edited:
Used to be higher, no? Like top 8-10?
PSU was the No. 8 public university when my sons applied in 2014.

Nonetheless, PSU continues to be highly ranked. I am very happy that my sons are getting their degree from PSU. Both of them are majoring in Supply Chain, which is ranked pretty highly as well.

Last edited:
My Boss always insisted that this would be the eventual and undeniable outcome. It took a little longer than even she desired, but who can really predict “time”?

She is so smart and “well-endowed”...physically and financially. :)
Flag.

ROTFLMAO

I don't know how many Universities have an anthropology program - - - - but I know Harvard has one.

You think PSU's is better than Harvard's?
You are taking "NitWitting" to new depths.

(FWIW, PSU doesn't rank in the top 100. At least six Big Ten Universities do, however.)

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/anthropology

Of course, all of this subjective, "rated by someone" brag-sheet crap doesn't mean squat - good, OR bad.

Not unless your life goal is to wear a short skirt and wave pom-poms....... and I'm sure that is a role that a lot of people covet......
So I will leave you to your own devices.
There are plenty of real, meaningful issues to address.

PLEASE, clean up when you are done.

Some folks actually would prefer to expend their efforts making something BETTER. (or, at least, less f-ed up)

Hey norm,

There are a zillion ways to parse this data.

So, i think most people would agree that PSU is a "working man's" university. Not an elitist university. Geared at higher ed for the common folk of PA. Educating many students. Not simply the wealthy elite.

Do you agree? Or will you be a contrarian on this?

So, a workers U would educate a bunch of people , right?

Now, lets take the set of universities that have an undergrad enrollment of >40K.

Based on US News rankings where does PSU rank amongst these universities? The universities that educate many students?

Heres the answer.

#1.

arguing with Barry is like pissing into the wind

he's never wrong, as far as he knows

Reactions: LionJim
Yep, attacking the messenger is always a good strategy.
He’s tries to introduce a lot of demeaning words into his posts to elevate his message. Posters who feel a need to use all upper case letters or bold to make a point, or to personally insult a poster with an opposing view are over compensating for their own inadequacy to engage in a reasonable discussion of the merits of the issue. He doesn’t discuss, rather he attempts to disparage. I can’t imagine that he ever worked in a professional environment and he clearly does not understand the complexities of managing a large State university. I generally have him on ignore.

Reactions: LionJim
He’s tries to introduce a lot of demeaning words into his posts to elevate his message. Posters who feel a need to use all upper case letters or bold to make a point, or to personally insult a poster with an opposing view are over compensating for their own inadequacy to engage in a reasonable discussion of the merits of the issue. He doesn’t discuss, rather he attempts to disparage. I can’t imagine that he ever worked in a professional environment and he clearly does not understand the complexities of managing a large State university. I generally have him on ignore.
Ok, perhaps he should tone down the demeaning words within his posts. However, Barry is the only person I've seen on this board or running for the BOT that has a grasp on the real issues facing our great university. Specifically:
Falling student profile - we may not like to see it but it's real. Yes, SAT is only one measure and taken on an individual basis means nothing, but when considering the student population means a great deal. A recent example is a HS senior I know that just got accepted this past Thursday into University Park. She is ranked right in the middle of her class, got a 960 SAT best score out of 3 tries, and a rather weak set of extras. This type of student is perfect for the branch campus system. Prove herself and then come on up. I can give dozens of examples just like the one above.

Rising Cost - Did you know that costs at UP (Tuition, Room and board, books, etc) are now estimated to be >$31,000 for Freshmen and Sophomores and >$35,000 for Juniors and Seniors...for Pennsylvania Residents! Not only that, but we are at the top for Cost of Attendance for Public Universities. Not Good!

In-State/Out-of-State Composition - When I went to school this ratio was about 90/10 and now it is about 60/40 and shifting more every year toward a greater percentage of out-of-state students. Why? Well, out of state tuition is almost double in state tuition so they are doing this is capture more money in order to stay solvent. (see Barry's argument of how little aid PSU gives out in order to understand why I used the word solvent) So, how are they getting the out-of-state students to come to Penn State? By accepting an academic record such that PSU is by far and away the best school that student has been accepted into and therefore they come.

I could go on and on about some real issues that need to be addressed but I'll stop now and simply say:

To HOPE for changes that will fix problems is not a very good plan. However, to IGNORE problems is the worst possible plan. Our Administration seems to be ignoring the problems.

I think Barry will attempt to identify the problems and to fix the problems, the real problems. I would also hope that if the door were open to address the scandal issues that Barry would go through that door, but unlike the other BOT candidates that is NOT his sole objective.

Reactions: nits74
Ok, perhaps he should tone down the demeaning words within his posts. However, Barry is the only person I've seen on this board or running for the BOT that has a grasp on the real issues facing our great university. Specifically:
Falling student profile - we may not like to see it but it's real. Yes, SAT is only one measure and taken on an individual basis means nothing, but when considering the student population means a great deal. A recent example is a HS senior I know that just got accepted this past Thursday into University Park. She is ranked right in the middle of her class, got a 960 SAT best score out of 3 tries, and a rather weak set of extras. This type of student is perfect for the branch campus system. Prove herself and then come on up. I can give dozens of examples just like the one above.

Rising Cost - Did you know that costs at UP (Tuition, Room and board, books, etc) are now estimated to be >$31,000 for Freshmen and Sophomores and >$35,000 for Juniors and Seniors...for Pennsylvania Residents! Not only that, but we are at the top for Cost of Attendance for Public Universities. Not Good!

In-State/Out-of-State Composition - When I went to school this ratio was about 90/10 and now it is about 60/40 and shifting more every year toward a greater percentage of out-of-state students. Why? Well, out of state tuition is almost double in state tuition so they are doing this is capture more money in order to stay solvent. (see Barry's argument of how little aid PSU gives out in order to understand why I used the word solvent) So, how are they getting the out-of-state students to come to Penn State? By accepting an academic record such that PSU is by far and away the best school that student has been accepted into and therefore they come.

I could go on and on about some real issues that need to be addressed but I'll stop now and simply say:

To HOPE for changes that will fix problems is not a very good plan. However, to IGNORE problems is the worst possible plan. Our Administration seems to be ignoring the problems.

I think Barry will attempt to identify the problems and to fix the problems, the real problems. I would also hope that if the door were open to address the scandal issues that Barry would go through that door, but unlike the other BOT candidates that is NOT his sole objective.
I very nearly voted for Barry last time around. But as much as it might be kind of satisfying to send a bomb thrower into that den of iniquity, that's all he would ever be. Because while he's right on the issues, his inability to remain civil in the face of even fairly mild disagreement would mean that he'd be ineffective in garnering any support, even with those who might otherwise listen.

Do the actual numbers mean anything to you?

Does a tuition rate that is the HIGHEST of any public University in the nation tell you anything?
(Hell, I can hear it now "Rah, Rah, Sis-Boom-Bah! We're....Number....One!")

Cause you any concern? Do you wonder why that is? What should be done about it?

Does a Yield - where 3 of every 4 students accepted say "No", and it gets worse every year - tell you anything?

Does declining SAT competitiveness - that has been PLUMMETING - tell you anything?

Does a Student Debt Load that is worst in the Big Ten tell you anything?

Does a student financial aid level - both Merit and Need-Based - that is worst in the Big Ten tell you anything?

Does an in-state composition that has dropped by over 20% tell you anything?

All things that are simple, unmitigated, non-subjective facts mean anything to you?

Or...... is it time for more "Rah, Rah, Sis-Boom-Bah!"?

"Hey, some subjective "rating" (of which probably no one here even knows how it is compiled) says that we are the 7th BEST On-Line undergraduate college! Rah, Rah, Sis-Boom-Bah!."

Even though 7th place is tied with UNC Wilmington, and below Utah State and Oregon State. Yippee! We're better than Harvard and Yale!!!

Good luck with that.

Those choosing to ignore the decline and the bloated admin. are much like the admin. themselves. Pitt has significantly improved its position rel. to PSU. You can ignore that and rationalize anything you care to.
Mitch Daniels shows the way.

I very nearly voted for Barry last time around. But as much as it might be kind of satisfying to send a bomb thrower into that den of iniquity, that's all he would ever be. Because while he's right on the issues, his inability to remain civil in the face of even fairly mild disagreement would mean that he'd be ineffective in garnering any support, even with those who might otherwise listen.
I agree that Barry would need to "play" nicer than he has shown at times, but he is the ONLY BOT candidate that is even slightly concerned about the real issues.

Our Alumni BOT's have been, as far as I can tell, completely "ineffective" with the approach they've taken in the last, well, sadly forever. Barry may or may not be the most effective BOT member but one thing I'm certain about is that he won't just be there for the buffet, and I believe you know this as well.

There is a lot to gain by putting him on the BOT and quite frankly nothing to lose. I want someone who has thought about the issues and clearly cares about the issues on the BOT. I'm nominating him to be on the ballot so that way we can all here his platform and compare it to the other candidates.

Well....then I guess someone ought to notify the folks at Penn State - since they (and most other Universities) use those quantifiable measures - - - - Standardized Test Scores, GPA, Class Standing etc - - - - to determine who should be offered admission, and who has the best chances to succeed in the University environment.

One would think they find them kinda' meaningful.

If your argument is that a lowered quality of incoming student doesn't "...change the quality of the education and opportunities..." derived from the experience, I won't even venture a discussion.

[And we haven't even STARTED scratching the surface of the FUBAR involved here. Like Barron's "Fiscal Responsibility Plan" - the ONLY tangible action item of which was "Replacing Tenured Professors with Instructors" in order to reduce costs...... I shit you not, you can look it up. But that is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish - that stinks to high heaven.]

"Rah, Rah, Sis-Boom-Bah!"

Egads. You're like Art - minus the tact and semblance of intelligence.

These rankings are so subjective and you can argue all day over the metrics used to compile the list. That said, I had to laugh just a little seeing where PSU (14) and UDub (in a 4 way tie for #18) landed on the list. Reading the UDub boards pre Fiesta Bowl, the insults were flying on how bad a school PSU was compared to mighty Washington. ;)

Last edited:
If we wanted the cost of tuition to be lowered we could lobby for more State aid. It’s only about 5% of the budget now and this is very low for a large public university. Of course we would be required to raise State taxes to accomplish that. You could offer free tuition if you raise them enough. Currently PSU is somewhat comparable to a large private research university because of its funding stream.

We also, because of the location, do not have the benefit of a large night school, which many urban campus locations have. These are cash cows for universities because they are getting increased utilization of the bricks and mortar. Night time MBA priograms or Law Schools are very popular.

The World Campus (online learning) is the future and PSU is doing well at this. It is their second largest college. Investment in contunued expansion, including into places like China, are ways to increase tuition income through investment in technology rather than buildings.

Some of the commonwealth campuses are not efficient financially but closing them becomes a political issue. The ones close to the cities which can offer evening programs are better investments than some of the rural locations, but aside from fincancial considerations they serve a need for the communities they service. When compared to other State universities, we also need to examine how they handle this. For example Pitt and Temple are not all over the State as PSU is. I don’t know about the cheaper schools like Iowa and Nebraska.

Room for improvement. Gotta believe "the scandal" set us back a bit in several categories. But as each year passes, the stain fades ever so slightly. Hopefully we get back to "PSU standards" soon. Feels dirty having OSU right behind us.

Room for improvement. Gotta believe "the scandal" set us back a bit in several categories. But as each year passes, the stain fades ever so slightly. Hopefully we get back to "PSU standards" soon. Feels dirty having OSU right behind us.
As Barry points out- correctly- the problem is systemic, and probably won't be fixed until disaster strikes. When applications fall, for instance.

I think the fraternity hazing death sets us back as well. I have spoken to parents who are afraid to send their children there as the reputation for being a party school makes them fear for the safety of their child. They were choosing a small college alternative. It’s always been an issue but it seems to have gotten more publicized recently. I would hope that positive things like THON would help to offset the negative perceptions.

A quick google of the U of Md shows that in 2014 they received over 452 million of state appropriations which accounted for 25% of their budget. That’s not consistent with what was reported above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT