ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where we stand with Recruits 8/6

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: First things, first: Patterson to VT, Adams to TT, Smothers to WVU, Farrell to OSU, Tanielu to Utah. No surprises there. Hudson was going to announce Saturday but has now delayed his decision. Apologies for the other thread where I was requesting verification of his non-commitable offer, I was on vaca and access to outside sources was limited. I have now seen it confirmed on other sites and twitter. No one knows for sure why he delayed the decision, which looks like it was going to be WVU, but him waiting increases the odds for him to end up as a Nittany Lion, but since it has been confirmed that if it happened today, it wouldn’t be us, he gets moved down. Chavis did not go to the Lasch Bash and I've seen others move PSU’s interest in him down so I will as well.

Betiku …. Literally as I was writing this sentence he just committed to UCLA. Initial reaction: I hope we still try to get Lavar to bring him in on an official visit.

I said a few weeks ago that I liked Hamlin as a dark horse on commit watch but the most likely scenario was that in a few weeks I would end up moving him back down and it has happened. Hamlin had good visits to OSU and ND recently. If him and Ford are really committed to playing together in college it could be ND who is the major threat since Ford’s half-brother played there and he really seemed to enjoy being there. I still like us to get Hamlin in the end. Some people have insinuated losing Lavert would help us get Hamlin and I don’t think that is true at all. They seem to have struck up a friendship at the Opening.

The longer Pryts recruitment goes on, the better it is for us at the moment. TOS thinks he’ll now end up at PSU and I think there is a better chance than before. Dioubate has some travel issues and is waiting to take officials especially to check out schools in the SEC. He could be in line for a downgrade soon. Ferns visited WVU last week. I am less confident about him by the day. We need to get him back on campus and wow his family again. Nixon visited Georgia last week. I thought he would decide soon and it would be us, but he has mentioned taking officials also. I think Ferns is the next to decide but otherwise it could be not until the season starts until we get a new 2016 commit.

Commit Watch:
4* WR Nixon, 4/3* OLB Hansford

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DL Dioubate, 4* ATH Fuller, 4* S Pryts

In The Battle:
4/3* G Valentin, 3* S Hudson, JC DT Chavis

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Diggs

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* WR Corley, 3* OT Niang, 3* CB Rene, 3* DT Kamara, 3* DT Wheeler

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none; including no longer recruiting).

Update: First things, first: Patterson to VT, Adams to TT, Smothers to WVU, Farrell to OSU, Tanielu to Utah. No surprises there. Hudson was going to announce Saturday but has now delayed his decision. Apologies for the other thread where I was requesting verification of his non-commitable offer, I was on vaca and access to outside sources was limited. I have now seen it confirmed on other sites and twitter. No one knows for sure why he delayed the decision, which looks like it was going to be WVU, but him waiting increases the odds for him to end up as a Nittany Lion, but since it has been confirmed that if it happened today, it wouldn’t be us, he gets moved down. Chavis did not go to the Lasch Bash and I've seen others move PSU’s interest in him down so I will as well.

Betiku …. Literally as I was writing this sentence he just committed to UCLA. Initial reaction: I hope we still try to get Lavar to bring him in on an official visit.

I said a few weeks ago that I liked Hamlin as a dark horse on commit watch but the most likely scenario was that in a few weeks I would end up moving him back down and it has happened. Hamlin had good visits to OSU and ND recently. If him and Ford are really committed to playing together in college it could be ND who is the major threat since Ford’s half-brother played there and he really seemed to enjoy being there. I still like us to get Hamlin in the end. Some people have insinuated losing Lavert would help us get Hamlin and I don’t think that is true at all. They seem to have struck up a friendship at the Opening.

The longer Pryts recruitment goes on, the better it is for us at the moment. TOS thinks he’ll now end up at PSU and I think there is a better chance than before. Dioubate has some travel issues and is waiting to take officials especially to check out schools in the SEC. He could be in line for a downgrade soon. Ferns visited WVU last week. I am less confident about him by the day. We need to get him back on campus and wow his family again. Nixon visited Georgia last week. I thought he would decide soon and it would be us, but he has mentioned taking officials also. I think Ferns is the next to decide but otherwise it could be not until the season starts until we get a new 2016 commit.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Diggs

4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* WR Corley, 3* OT Niang, 3* CB Rene, 3* DT Kamara, 3* DT Wheeler

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none; including no longer recruiting).

Forget Pryts, Valentin, Hudson, Chavis, and Gary. Stopped paying attention to Diggs a while ago.

I'm not going to lose sleep over him... not that I literally lose sleep over any of the potential recruits. I think continuing to recruit a local kid who committed to a school across the country makes more sense than this situation. It was a long shot at best, and not we are officially not his first choice. Maybe CJF and the rest of the coaches have so much time that they can afford to keep giving him the love he needs to flip, but I would think this time is better spent on keeping the studs we have already and adding one or two more at key positions.

I'm disappointed that Chavis is listed as still in the battle. I would have hoped to gain some ground or even got a verbal from him. Does this mean that he's really not into us? I mean, a guy like him has playing time written all over him.

Diggs is going to maryland. He acts like he is open but he just likes the attention. He can't go out on his own...would rather walk in his brother's footsteps and that's okay. Some people don't like going out on their own.

I'm not going to lose sleep over him... not that I literally lose sleep over any of the potential recruits. I think continuing to recruit a local kid who committed to a school across the country makes more sense than this situation. It was a long shot at best, and not we are officially not his first choice. Maybe CJF and the rest of the coaches have so much time that they can afford to keep giving him the love he needs to flip, but I would think this time is better spent on keeping the studs we have already and adding one or two more at key positions.

I'm disappointed that Chavis is listed as still in the battle. I would have hoped to gain some ground or even got a verbal from him. Does this mean that he's really not into us? I mean, a guy like him has playing time written all over him.
On Chavis: I couldn't find an explanation anywhere. I know he talked about taking officials a loonngg while back. Maybe that's still in the cards. Maybe the coach's saw enough out of our DT's on the roster. Maybe it was the allure of having more highly rated HS players. I really don't know but Rutgers likes him too and all of his CBs to PSU are from Rutger's Insiders from a while back.

Diggs is going to maryland. He acts like he is open but he just likes the attention. He can't go out on his own...would rather walk in his brother's footsteps and that's okay. Some people don't like going out on their own.
His recruitment is bizarre. I actually think he will visit PSU again before he decides. He visited like 6 or 7 times previously and a number of them were unannounced. I would expect it again if he is uncommitted come Sept 19th. Not that it means anything with regard to him coming to PSU, because he's not.

On Chavis: I couldn't find an explanation anywhere. I know he talked about taking officials a loonngg while back. Maybe that's still in the cards. Maybe the coach's saw enough out of our DT's on the roster. Maybe it was the allure of having more highly rated HS players. I really don't know but Rutgers likes him too and all of his CBs to PSU are from Rutger's Insiders from a while back.

Loss of interest is on the PSU side, thank heaven.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Diggs

Interesting as always.

Any thoughts on Onwenu? I thought we were in contention to flip him?
Sorry, I responded then wasn't sure if what I said was true. There were rumors two weeks ago and he deleted all references to Michigan off his Twitter profile. He admitted in an interview that Penn State was coming after him hard, but it's been quiet since. From what I can tell, he DID make it to Michigan's "Barbecue at the Big House" (the one Lavert went to with Corley), and Michigan feels fine with him right now. It is a long shot at best.

When was the last time Pryts was on campus? No shot unless he shows up again. He'll decide in next month b/w OSU and ND.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Commit Watch:
Very Good Chance:
In The Battle:

Nice job as always.
  • Your comments about Dioubate and Ferns are depressing. I think those are the top two priorities.
  • Any thoughts on being able to hang onto L. Hill?
  • Didn't you have Chavis on commit watch? What happened?

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this and sharing it with us.

I've seen Hudson play and if he wants to commit...I say we take him. His only flaw is his height. He has good speed, hits like a Mack truck and has great hands. He could play any number of positions. I honestly think he will turn out to be better than many of the guys we've taken.

Reactions: CappyToCJF
As of now, it appears Hudson missed the boat. He could be a good plan B if we don't get some of our other targets, however.

Reactions: bmw199
Nice job as always.
  • Your comments about Dioubate and Ferns are depressing. I think those are the top two priorities.
  • Any thoughts on being able to hang onto L. Hill?
  • Didn't you have Chavis on commit watch? What happened?
Yes, not a lot of good news. Ferns is the one we need to get back no campus asap because he is the most likely to decide soon. Everyone else (outside of maybe Pryts) we can schedule visits for during the fall. So for everyone else winning games will be big.

Hill keeps saying he is 100% to PSU, he's even retweeting PSU stuff which he used to not do very often. Remember his brother goes to Michigan and so he is there some times for no reason than that. They will continue to try and only he knows where he feels most comfortable.

Chavis never made it above very good chance, but it appears all that info was out dated when I had him there and he should have been moved down before. The staff has moved on.

I think we should take Hudson's verbal if its available

I don't think we get Nixon, Ferns or Pryts. Dioubate is tough to figure out. Getting Fuller would be a big upset. All of the sudden we could be looking at Hansford and Hamlin (not a sure thing at all) and a class of 20

It's still early, and a lot will depend on how our season goes. If we went 10-2, we'd have a number of guys that would flip to us, most likely. If we go 6-6, we're going to lose some of these kids.

I know it's anathema to discuss here, but if we banked a few scholies for next year, that would not be a bad thing. There's a mother lode of PA and nearby talent for 2017, and we're looking at a small class right now. There are 8 kids in PA alone that are 4stars, that they'd love to get. We're in the running for several of NJ's top 5 players, as well. We could use the room.

As I see it, we have only 4 or 5 spots left and, if things don't fall just right, we can always hold the ships for next year as I think we'll be limited to about 17 scholarships in 2017.

Here's who I think we get:
1. Dioubate
2. Hansford
3. a DB (Fuller, White, Hamlin or possibly even Hudson)
4. a surprise flip, someone not on our radar right now.

I think we're done on the offensive side of the ball but for Nixon-- I see it as a 3 team race between Georgia, Auburn and Penn State. While I'd absolutely love to get him, I'm feeling like we usually don't do well pulling kids out of the south when they have SEC offers. He did come to the BBQ and he's saying all the right things so hope I'm wrong and he commits. Georgia has or is in the running for other WRs so that may work to our advantage. I just read where a Georgia WR just visited, a 3* as I recall.

As for Ferns, who knows. Word was he had us near the top. Now, he's been "iffy" (not all that unusual for kids this age- this is an awfully tough decision). If we get Hansford, I could see the staff telling Ferns the same thing they've supposedly told Hudson, he no longer holds a commitable offer.

Finally, two wildcards that I know of: Terrel Hall decommiteded from Ohio State. While I think he's Bama's to lose, we still have a shot; and then there's the DB from Florida who is taking officials- you just never know.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Diggs

Gary and Diggs are 0% Chance

Wheeler is ours if we want him. We don't.

If we get Hansford, I could see the staff telling Ferns the same thing they've supposedly told Hudson, he no longer holds a commitable offer.
Ferns is a take no matter what. Literally, if it means going to 26 or 27 or 28 (not even possible but you get my point) he's a take.

Terrell Hall is not considering Penn State. He decommitted to go to Alabama. We have a better shot at Gary and the national title.

I'm not going to do a full 2017 Update for a while, but a bunch of IMG prospects were interviewed and we are trending well for 4 of them and one is a bit of a surprise. 5* DE Kaindoh (originally from MD), 4* OT Hainsey (PA), 4* OLB Anthony (MD), and the surprise 4* DT Spence (MD).
We've held the lead for Kaindoh for a long time. Hainsey was on commit watch prior to transferring to IMG. Anthony has an uncle PSU alum and a cousin currently enrolled. Spence was an OSU lean.

Class could end up being killer.

I'm not going to do a full 2017 Update for a while, but a bunch of IMG prospects were interviewed and we are trending well for 4 of them and one is a bit of a surprise. 5* DE Kaindoh (originally from MD), 4* OT Hainsey (PA), 4* OLB Anthony (MD), and the surprise 4* DT Spence (MD).
We've held the lead for Kaindoh for a long time. Hainsey was on commit watch prior to transferring to IMG. Anthony has an uncle PSU alum and a cousin currently enrolled. Spence was an OSU lean.

Class could end up being killer.

Now you are speaking my language....."Class could end up being killer".......YES!

Cam Spence named us his leader today. Any chance all these IMG guys can get in Rahshaun Smith's ear?
He did decommit. Said he wants to take visits and Clemson doesn't allow their commits to take visits. IDK, but I think they'll all be to all southern schools. Again WIN GAMES and that's an off the radar guy that could bring about the possibility.

I seriously have no idea how we are going to have room for all of the talent that wants to come here in 2017. I hope they are paying attention to what happened to Kirkland last year and Wheeler and potentially to Hudson this year.

Nixon, Hansford, Hamlin, Ferns (I guess), Dioubate, Fuller

Unless the staff gets in on some other big time blue chippers in the fall, it seems to me that those are the recruits we are still actively pursuing. The "have to get really lucky" verbiage isn't really accurate when most of those kids probably don't have committable offers anymore.

At the end of the day, we are always going to have kids who want to come here, not be able to. And we are always going to have kids that we want, not wanting us.

The key is, we hope that the ones that want in, but can't fit, are really good players. We don't want to dip down into the low 3star ratings, if we can help it, unless the staff sees something that the star-raters do not.

Nixon, Hansford, Hamlin, Ferns (I guess), Dioubate, Fuller

Unless the staff gets in on some other big time blue chippers in the fall, it seems to me that those are the recruits we are still actively pursuing. The "have to get really lucky" verbiage isn't really accurate when most of those kids probably don't have committable offers anymore.
True Judge, I think I need a "Former Interest" category. Have to get really lucky was good early in the process but now the reason most are down there is different.

in general I do not believe we will have any problem getting over 20 kids and closer to 25 every year from here on out.

It is simple math:
first off take out the '5 year plan' out of the equation - 5th year seniors will be the exception from here on out

over a four year period 25 per class equals 100
with a limit of 85 that would be 4 per year would need to leave (besides the normal 25) for this equation to work

they WANT kids to leave after 3 years for graduation or the NFL or 4 years for at a minimum to graduation. Plus you will always have attrition by other means (ie: transfer for playing time, academics, etc).

So let me summarize
* they WANT kids to leave after 3 years
* they will REQUIRE kids to leave after 4 years
* there will be a 5th year here and there so for each one of those you need 1 additional 3 year person

As long as they leave being prepared for 'what's next' - ie: Diploma or NFL (preferably both) - I have no problem with this and do NOT consider it running kids off. Coach upheld his responsibility and the grand experiment.

You may see an odd sized class until he can get the numbers set up correctly but think in terms of FOUR years and not five and its quite simple to see that we will not be seeing any classes under 20 at a minimum any more. I really believe 25 each year will be the norm.

The best "news" for us is that we no longer have any positions of "need". So whoever we get will be the "best athlete available". I am guessing we have 3-4 spots left. Nixon, Pryts, Chavis are the ones I would like :)

Sorry, I responded then wasn't sure if what I said was true. There were rumors two weeks ago and he deleted all references to Michigan off his Twitter profile. He admitted in an interview that Penn State was coming after him hard, but it's been quiet since. From what I can tell, he DID make it to Michigan's "Barbecue at the Big House" (the one Lavert went to with Corley), and Michigan feels fine with him right now. It is a long shot at best.
Some thoughts from a couple guys mentioned from a Michigan perspective:

1) Onwenu: I think your take on him is accurate. It seems that the "rumor" fell victim to the internet and became bigger than it was. Most people around the situation would be surprised if he didn't end up at Michigan and that the "rumor" of a flip was nothing more than fan speculation and driven. With that said, the "rumor" didn't start from nowhere. My read of the tea leaves (gut feeling so tifwiw) is: The kid feels quite confident/solid in his decision based on the information he has. However, he is not as confident that he has all the information. I guess that is the danger of kids committing 6-12 months before NSD becoming the new norm...they might be happy with their decision but have doubts they did enough due diligence (especially on the schools they didn't choose). My guess is that we don't hear much from him for a little while but at the same time we haven't heard the last from him (in regards to his recruitment)...wouldn't shock me one bit to see him take a visit to PSU.

2) Hill: This is starting to turn into a strange one - his actions and words certainly don't add up. Speaking of which, now that it is a couple/few months behind us, from what I understand, he did tell people (at one point) that he was going to flip. But before anyone freaks out, I only mention this because at this point it seems like ancient history though indicative of how things can change with this kid. He is no longer saying that on or off the record and obviously he didn't do it. As for the future...there are some who believe that if Michigan put on the full court press they would have a very good chance of flipping him...but weeks before some people thinking it was Sparty that was in the best position to flip him...so who knows (well him obviously but you know what I mean)? What I have gathered is that the Michigan staff seems concerned about his inconsistency. There is little doubt that he has the natural ability and sometimes shows elite level cover skills...some other times he looks completely lost. What should be noted is that is anything but unusual for a Detroit kid. In fact, similar things were said about his brother (was considered a great athlete but not yet a true football player) who after a few years in the program appears to starting to put it all together. However, wots is that this concern about Lavert has led to the Michigan staff to not really push him as they want to see a few games of his senior film...this does not mean they aren't recruiting him now (they know they need to express enough love to keep him interested) and it also doesn't mean that if they turn up the heat he'll for sure flip...just that it could get more interesting down the line.

Just because you say something, doesn't make it true. So now you're panning Hill's "inconsistency" as a cover for why he may not flip after all? Sure.

Hill's interview last week was quite comforting. At least to us.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Just because you say something, doesn't make it true. So now you're panning Hill's "inconsistency" as a cover for why he may not flip after all? Sure.

Hill's interview last week was quite comforting. At least to us.

This clown is consistently annoying.

Reactions: bmw199
So Harbaugh has no problem picking up 2 star guys with crap offer sheets because they play well for 3 days at a non contact camp- but he's not convinced Hill is worthy of 'turning up the heat' because he's inconsistent? And what is the dig at Detroit kids?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT