ADVERTISEMENT

UM spring game

How are most games meaningless? See college basketball...because of the large playoff format tons of games are meaningful as teams fight for seeding and a playoff birth unlike college football with a four team playoff about half the teams are eliminated before they even play a game and only about 15-16 are alive after mid October.

You can fairly criticize me for a lot of things but pretending bowl games and a literal scrimmage have meaning are two of them. It's okay though...the playoff goes to 12 soon then hopefully will double that within a decade and I'll be happy while many others will be crying about how it's all just a business despite that being true for about 4 decades now.

And some people live lives that are meaningless but most aren't.
Games are meaningless except to the team and staff. If a particular team wins or loses doesn’t really matter to life. It doesn’t prevent you from getting cancer, having a heart attack k or stroke. Doesn’t help you lose weight or your kids get better grades. Doesn’t pay your bills or get you a promotion at work.

And if a win or loss affects your relationship with your spouse, kids, family, neighbors, co-workers, and friends then you have a problem. No silly game of sports should affect your life. It is just fun and nothing else.

Sports are fun. Entertainment. An escape from skullduggery. Or should be. Fans like to watch practice games or bowl games. Watch and have fun.

Last edited:
With myself? How does one argue with themselves? Others have to engage like you do.

And this whole "he's not a Penn State fan" is tired. Come up with a better argument. Why would I be discussing hockey and volleyball if I wasn't a fan? If I was a fan of another school I'd probably be criticizing their fan base as well. Almost wish I was a ND fan so I could bash them constantly.

You're such a laughable bafoon pal - you babble about people claiming the B/W Game is important and more than a scrimmage..... blah, blah, blag. Nobody ever said the B/W Game was anything other than a scrimmage but don't let that stop you from tilting at windmills.

By the way dipshit the B/W Game is only one part of the events - most people go up for all the fan events of B/W Weekend.... and the tailgating, etc... But you go back to your absurd rants troll.

Reactions: summitlion1
Games are meaningless except tot he team and staff. If a particular team wins or loses does really matter to life. It doesn’t prevent you from getting cancer, having a heart attack k or stroke. Doesn’t help you lose weight or your kids get better grades. Doesn’t pay your bills or get you a promotion at work.

And if a win or lose affects your relationship with your spouse, kids, family, neighbors, co-workers, and friends then you have a problem. No silly game of sports should affect your life. It is just fun and nothing else.

Sports are fun. Entertainment. An escape from skullduggery. Or should be. I cud I g practice games or bowl games. Watch and have fun.
What are you talking about? I'm one of the few that doesn't overreact to a loss. See losing to Ohio State and Michigan. We played well against Ohio State but we were expected to lose both. At no point did anything impact my life let alone negatively.

Sports are competition...its about winning and losing not having fun. I just don't pretend games have more meaning than they do. If I did then your rant would make sense.

You're such a laughable bafoon pal - you babble about people claiming the B/W Game is important and more than a scrimmage..... blah, blah, blag. Nobody ever said the B/W Game was anything other than a scrimmage but don't let that stop you from tilting at windmills.

By the way dipshit the B/W Game is only one part of the events - most people go up for all the fan events of B/W Weekend.... and the tailgating, etc... But you go back to your absurd rants troll.
So if it's a scrimmage why are we criticizing other programs for attendance during it?

And if you enjoy that then enjoy it as I said long ago. You're acting like traveling to State College to tailgait then watch the team practice is supposed to be fun for all. I can hang out with people doing countless better things but if you enjoy it then go.

The problem here is so many on this board have been doing things for years (like going to spring games or bowl games) that they cant stand the logic that those games are meaningless. They are regardless of your spin.

What are you talking about? I'm one of the few that doesn't overreact to a loss. See losing to Ohio State and Michigan. We played well against Ohio State but we were expected to lose both. At no point did anything impact my life let alone negatively.

Sports are competition...its about winning and losing not having fun. I just don't pretend games have more meaning than they do. If I did then your rant would make sense.
It’s about winning and losing for the teams. Has no affect …..or shouldn’t…..on fans. Life goes on the same either way.

It’s about winning and losing for the teams. Has no affect …..or shouldn’t…..on fans. Life goes on the same either way.
Winning or losing is the entire point of watching...people don't spend time and money on sports so they can watch teams have a good time. Sports exist because people love competition. It's even why shows like Survivor Big Brother and The Challenge have existed for decades. It's because people care about who wins. Pretending otherwise is comical.

Life goes on no matter what happens until you die then it still goes on for everyone so what is your point?

Winning or losing is the entire point of watching...people don't spend time and money on sports so they can watch teams have a good time. Sports exist because people love competition. It's even why shows like Survivor Big Brother and The Challenge have existed for decades. It's because people care about who wins. Pretending otherwise is comical.

Life goes on no matter what happens until you die then it still goes on for everyone so what is your point?
So no players are competing when they play in bowl games? You actually believe that no players will be competing on Blue/White day? I will go out on a long limb here and say that players just may even compete during practice! Crazy as it sounds…..they may even compete during weight training!

So no players are competing when they play in bowl games? You actually believe that no players will be competing on Blue/White day? I will go out on a long limb here and say that players just may even compete during practice! Crazy as it sounds…..they may even compete during weight training!
It's like saying a pick up game has value. You compete but it meaningless. Just like practice they're working towards playing time but the outcome of the game doesn't matter. It's not a difficult concept and you know it. You just don't want to admit it. You're going to be very confused in a few years if you truly don't get it.

I heard a rumor that every part of practice is on tape. Staff breaks down the tape of each player and they get a personalized copy, grading, critiquing and offering corrections each day. Of course, practice.....is meaningless and competition is a fan fantasy.

I heard a rumor that every part of practice is on tape. Staff breaks down the tape of each player and they get a personalized copy, grading, critiquing and offering corrections each day. Of course, practice.....is meaningless and competition is a fan fantasy.
Who said practice is meaningless? It's just not a fan event--if it was every practice was televised.

It's like saying a pick up game has value. You compete but it meaningless. Just like practice they're working towards playing time but the outcome of the game doesn't matter. It's not a difficult concept and you know it. You just don't want to admit it. You're going to be very confused in a few years if you truly don't get it.
You compete but it’s meaningless? Seriously?

So there is competition in practice but it is meaningless……and it has no outcome on games. Fascinating.

So why do players and coaches waste their time on such meaningless competition? Why do coaches say you play as you practice?

Practice is meaningless and doesn’t impact games…..and I am the one that is very confused.

Uhhhh…..ok.

So there is competition in practice but it is meaningless……and it has no outcome on games. Fascinating.

So why do players and coaches waste their time on such meaningless competition? Why do coaches say you play as you practice?

Practice is meaningless and doesn’t impact games…..and I am the one that is very confused.

Uhhhh…..ok.
Yes, it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The outcome of the Blue White Game and the bowl game has no meaning--if you want to watch just to see players that's fine but the game itself doesn't mean anything

Again, this isn't a difficult concept and you're ignoring what is being said to make a ridiculous argument because you know I'm right. Desperate times for you apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yes, it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The outcome of the Blue White Game and the bowl game has no meaning--if you want to watch just to see players that's fine but the game itself doesn't mean anything

Again, this isn't a difficult concept and you're ignoring what is being said to make a ridiculous argument because you know I'm right. Desperate times for you apparently.
But you said competition makes games meaningful. Players compete in bowl games. Players compete in practice. Players compete in the Blue White game. Therefore, bowl games, the Blue Shite game, and practice are meaningful.

This is a very very simple concept. Yet you deny it. Convoluted times for you.

Reactions: AvgUser
But you said competition makes games meaningful. Players compete in bowl games. Players compete in practice. Players compete in the Blue White game. Therefore, bowl games, the Blue Shite game, and practice are meaningful.

This is a very very simple concept. Yet you deny it. Convoluted times for you.
You're delusional. Battling for a position or playing time doesn't make a game (scrimmage) have meaning to fans. Why did the Pro Bowl die? Why don't people like preseason football? This is all a simple concept that you refuse to acknowledge do to your inability to admit what you love about college football is dying if not already dead. It's why people here cry about the portal and an expanded playoff. College football is evolving due to exactly what I'm saying but pretend players competing for playing time generates fan interest like a playoff game.

The bowl games certainly do have meaning for the players, fans, and coaches. A simple google search regarding tv ratings for bowl games will show you how many cfb fans tune in.

The bowl games certainly do have meaning for the players, fans, and coaches. A simple google search regarding tv ratings for bowl games will show you how many cfb fans tune in.
Compare that to past ratings and look specifically at non-playoff games
People are slowly starting to realize how pointless the bowls are and coaches like Saban have even stated as much. When the playoff goes to 12 (and hopefully beyond) what do you think will happen to the bowl games?
Watching bowl games is just done out of habit at this point.

Uhhhh…..ok.

This guy is such a clown with his circular arguments - always designed to be critical of all things PSU... I love how everybody is supposed to accept troll-boy's ridiculous concocted prescriptions as "reality".

His notion that Bowl Games and their results are "meaningless" is more of his ridiculous nonsense - one very important thing they do is create your pre-season seeding for the next year which absolutely matters under the current Invitational setup.

Compare that to past ratings and look specifically at non-playoff games
People are slowly starting to realize how pointless the bowls are and coaches like Saban have even stated as much. When the playoff goes to 12 (and hopefully beyond) what do you think will happen to the bowl games?
Watching bowl games is just done out of habit at this point.
10.3 million people will need to kick the Rose Bowl habit. How do we know the future of major bowls? They might be tied into the playoff.

Reactions: 81b&w
This guy is such a clown with his circular arguments - always designed to be critical of all things PSU... I love how everybody is supposed to accept troll-boy's ridiculous concocted prescriptions as "reality".

His notion that Bowl Games and their results are "meaningless" is more of his ridiculous nonsense - one very important thing they do is create your pre-season seeding for the next year which absolutely matters under the current Invitational setup.
Agreed. At a player level the Rose Bowl game certainly meant a lot for our players based on their own comments and gave us good momentum heading into next season. Do you know who considers these games meaningless? Schools like Michigan who lose every single one of these games.

Reactions: marshall23
Agreed. At a player level the Rose Bowl game certainly meant a lot for our players based on their own comments and gave us good momentum heading into next season. Do you know who considers these games meaningless? Schools like Michigan who lose every single one of these games.
Momentum heading into next season is beyond delusional. It doesn't matter at all. Research bowl results and the impact the following season.

You can label them whatever the voices in your head compel you to do. But to the rest of the world, the Rose, Sugar, Cotton Bowls etc. will survive.
If they are a playoff game. As the host site of a bowl game nothing else. But at least you seem to comprehend that the bowls don't matter if they're not a playoff game.

Bowl results don't impact your pre-season ranking going into the next season? Whatever you say moron - not only a troll, but an idiotic moron troll.... aren't we lucky.
No they don't. Will Michigan and Ohio State still be ahead of us? Or because we won and they lost we're going to be ahead of them?

Preseason rankings are based on historical performance and who you're return. Teams with elite returning QBs will be high.

No they don't. Will Michigan and Ohio State still be ahead of us? Or because we won and they lost we're going to be ahead of them?

Preseason rankings are based on historical performance and who you're return. Teams with elite returning QBs will be high.
It’s so cute that you think that’s how preseason ranking work.

Reactions: bison13
What is deeply wrong with a person that has to argue endlessly about what is fun or not? You need help. And you have my sympathies for such a putrid life.
The same guy who just asserted that watching fun sports activities is pointless and that only competition matters in the next breath says that bowl games are worthless because there is no meaning. Well, there is competition between the two teams playing. Jesus Christmas!

Wow, didn’t quite see the thread going this direction…
When one must debate every word of every sentence, threads get hijacked PDQ.
When one proffers that their thoughts are fact and all other thoughts are worthless opinions, threads get hijacked PDQ.

All that is missing is Wallace Breem to chime in with some insane statement

And if you enjoy that (or if they do) great but it's not a real game at Beaver Stadium. Again, I don't see the "fun" in it but if you do that's great.
Here’s an idea. If you don’t care, then SFTU and leave the thread. Let others enjoy their fun.

When one must debate every word of every sentence, threads get hijacked PDQ.
When one proffers that their thoughts are fact and all other thoughts are worthless opinions, threads get hijacked PDQ.

All that is missing is Wallace Breem to chime in with some insane statement
I’ll substitute for Wallace…”Christian Hackenberg had the greatest spring game performance in the history of college football. It was so phenomenal, that Tom Brady called him and asked for some tips. That’s a fact even if you don’t believe it.”

The same guy who just asserted that watching fun sports activities is pointless and that only competition matters in the next breath says that bowl games are worthless because there is no meaning. Well, there is competition between the two teams playing. Jesus Christmas!
Again claiming there's competition is those games is false as people opt out. Many realize what bowls. Based on this board our fan base is apparently one of the slowest to adapt to change.

If they are a playoff game. As the host site of a bowl game nothing else. But at least you seem to comprehend that the bowls don't matter if they're not a playoff game.
Silly me. I thought Professor Irwin Corey was dead.

Again claiming there's competition is those games is false as people opt out. Many realize what bowls. Based on this board our fan base is apparently one of the slowest to adapt to change.
What a genius. People who opt out don't compete. What oh wise one, are those who do play doing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT