ADVERTISEMENT

Two ways to look at the OSU game....

VaNtyLion

Jul 11, 2001
1 - What have we seen from PSU to think this game won't be a blowout?
This is mainly taking the view that PSU's offense going against OSU's defense will be a nearly impossible task. For much of the analysis, you're banking on the Temple game tape, and this isn't really the same PSU offense. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but there have been adjustments made that have decreased the pressure on Hack to the point most of the sacks then have been from coverage variety as opposed to lack of protection. If PSU took this same offensive plan into Temple (and feed Barkley more), it's highly unlikely that game takes on the same demeanor.

Has the offense been "great" since Temple? Well, no, but it hasn't altogether stunk either. We knew it was going to be a constant work in progress given where the production has had to come from (i.e., the freshman and sophomores). For the first time this year, PSU will be playing as an underdog and I think that suits this team a lot better.

2 - What have we seen from OSU so far to think PSU can't hang with them?
OSU has been the epitome of "playing to the level of the competition" so far. Lots of Buckeye fans pointing to their offense emerging the last two weeks against terrible IU and Maryland defenses as reason to believe they kick it into gear vs. PSU and blow us out....that's fine and all but is no different than PSU saying our own offense is improving against the same crap resistance.

Bigger worry for OSU would be that their own defense has not been up to par for them lately. Maryland is a terrible football team but that game is tied at 21 in the 2nd half and just a 2 score game going into the final 7 minutes. IU also moved the ball on them and is sitting there 6 yds from a tie game in the final seconds. Penn State - even with our own issues offensively - is a much better overall team than IU and Maryland.

In any case, I would also buy the argument that OSU will be more prepared for PSU given what happened last year and this being a showcase prime time game on their own turf (although he black unis are hideous given the tradition of their normal duds).

I'm thinking its more of a 27-10 type of score. PSU's chances to keep it close bank almost entirely on having Barkley close to 100%, which given the ankle/foot location of that injury just over 2 weeks ago seems like a remote possibility. More than likely we're going to need to be +2 on turnover margin and get some points on short fields or special teams.

Reactions: Marshall30
This is mainly taking the view that PSU's offense going against OSU's defense will be a nearly impossible task. For much of the analysis, you're banking on the Temple game tape, and this isn't really the same PSU offense. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but there have been adjustments made that have decreased the pressure on Hack to the point most of the sacks then have been from coverage variety as opposed to lack of protection. If PSU took this same offensive plan into Temple (and feed Barkley more), it's highly unlikely that game takes on the same demeanor.

Has the offense been "great" since Temple? Well, no, but it hasn't altogether stunk either. We knew it was going to be a constant work in progress given where the production has had to come from (i.e., the freshman and sophomores). For the first time this year, PSU will be playing as an underdog and I think that suits this team a lot better.

OSU has been the epitome of "playing to the level of the competition" so far. Lots of Buckeye fans pointing to their offense emerging the last two weeks against terrible IU and Maryland defenses as reason to believe they kick it into gear vs. PSU and blow us out....that's fine and all but is no different than PSU saying our own offense is improving against the same crap resistance.

Bigger worry for OSU would be that their own defense has not been up to par for them lately. Maryland is a terrible football team but that game is tied at 21 in the 2nd half and just a 2 score game going into the final 7 minutes. IU also moved the ball on them and is sitting there 6 yds from a tie game in the final seconds. Penn State - even with our own issues offensively - is a much better overall team than IU and Maryland.

In any case, I would also buy the argument that OSU will be more prepared for PSU given what happened last year and this being a showcase prime time game on their own turf (although he black unis are hideous given the tradition of their normal duds).

I'm thinking its more of a 27-10 type of score. PSU's chances to keep it close bank almost entirely on having Barkley close to 100%, which given the ankle/foot location of that injury just over 2 weeks ago seems like a remote possibility. More than likely we're going to need to be +2 on turnover margin and get some points on short fields or special teams.

Like most game against top teams it will most certainly be decided in the trenches. The dline that creates more havoc wins the game.

BTN does that fan vote count during BTN Live. The fans picked us to win last night.

tumblr_mxcv34M4Bn1s4ip2qo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

PSU's chances to keep it close bank almost entirely on having Barkley close to 100%, which given the ankle/foot location of that injury just over 2 weeks ago seems like a remote possibility. More than likely we're going to need to be +2 on turnover margin and get some points on short fields or special teams.

I think PSU's best chance to keep it close is to avoid turnovers. If we do that the defense should keep us in the game. That won't be an easy task. It's easy to see Bosa flying by Palmer and causing problems.

OSU fans are hoping that the team has been going through the motions since VT, and is somewhat bored. That's the hope. And this is the type of game that will motivate them to play their best.

What hurt the OSU defense vs. IU and Maryland were QB runs, especially on broken plays. While Hackenberg isn't a statue, he probably won't be gashing us for 100+.

I have no idea what to expect from the OSU offense. They could score 27, as predicted above, or 50.

Marcus Ray of "We Michigan and they Penn State" fame last night on BTN live mentioned Barkley in the Wildcat. Not sure if he's just pulling that out of thin air or not, but that would be interesting....as long as Hack isn't split wide.

Marcus Ray of "We Michigan and they Penn State" fame last night on BTN live mentioned Barkley in the Wildcat. Not sure if he's just pulling that out of thin air or not, but that would be interesting....as long as Hack isn't split wide.
Predicting that one might see stuff that we haven't seen all year long is always - at best - a dicey proposition.

That said:

CJF staffs in the past used a lot of WILDCAT and a lot of UNBALANCED LINES.

To the best of my knowledge, we have not seen a single WILDCAT snap this year.....and - also ttbomk - have seen just one snap in an UNBALANCED LINE (not even a real snap, as the IU defense jumped off sides before the snap, when PSU came out in this formation)

I am certainly not going to predict we see either, but more than most years (due to the weather, offensive line issues, whatever) this seems to be a year when the offensive staff has been VERY slow to roll out the entire offensive portfolio. Just last week against IU we saw stuff we had not seen (or seen very little of) all year.

I certainly don't see such things as a panacea, but I would not be surprised at all to see a couple new wrinkles on a handful of plays - just to see if the OSU defense (after NOT having any tape to study) react appropriately. Maybe...MAYBE....PSU can bust a couple nice plays just due to some OSU confusion.

We can not let the Buckeyes get around the "edge" again. IIRC OSU always runs the ball pretty well against us (2008 not included) even though we have a pretty good defense. However, being ranked 11th in total defense with the teams we have played thus far is nothing to flaunt at this point in the season. JT got around on the edge last year against us in OT to win the game for them. It just happens too often!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT