ADVERTISEMENT

Try to beat me

it seems, at the time, many people would disagree with you.....

Of course, Billy Ray Cyrus first broke out on the national scale in 1992 with his debut single "Achy Breaky Heart." Thanks to a supremely catchy chorus and a video that made line dancing a nationwide phenomenon, "Heart" charged all the way to No. 4 on the Hot 100 -- an exceedingly rare country crossover hit for the early '90s,

This thread reminds me of Beavis and Butt-Head. They would watch an awful music video and get a wide-eyed, horrified look. Here is one video that drew that reaction from them. I still remember it from Beavis and Butt-Head because it's so awful.

BxylKrVCMAAxF-S.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone that has been to Disney knows this is the winner...

It's A Small World

Not exactly in same category as others, but technically a song.

Last edited:
Reactions: YeOldeCup
I preface this by saying this song was before my time, and I am aware it's widely considered one of the greatest songs of all time, but "Hey Jude" annoys the hell out of me because it just....doesn't....end. First half of the song is great, but the na-na-na-na coda goes on for 4 minutes - longer than the lyrical portion at the start of the song. I've nothing against long songs, but it's the same damned phrase over and over that goes nowhere.

"What's Up" by Four Non Blondes (horrible vocals)

Someone earlier mentioned "Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando & Dawn. My college roommate at PSU had a band that had a record deal with Dave Appel, who played guitar on records by Chubby Checker, The Orlons, The Dovells and Bobby Rydell, and also produced The Tokens. We went to New York over December break in 1969 or '70 to listen to some demos. One of them was "Knock Three Times," sung on the demo by two women (not the same ones who later became "Dawn.") My roommate and my reactions were identical: "Yech!"
I always kidded him that he could have spent his life wearing platform shoes and performing in Branson, Mo.

I preface this by saying this song was before my time, and I am aware it's widely considered one of the greatest songs of all time, but "Hey Jude" annoys the hell out of me because it just....doesn't....end. First half of the song is great, but the na-na-na-na coda goes on for 4 minutes - longer than the lyrical portion at the start of the song. I've nothing against long songs, but it's the same damned phrase over and over that goes nowhere.

Maybe this is better?

No clue who it is written or sung by, but that annoying cookie cutter pop song from not long ago with no semblance of a melody or any creativity "Call Me Maybe"...
The fact that it was apparently actually popular enough to be played incessantly enhanced the degree of annoyance.
Rant concluded :cool:.

Probably an extremely unpopular opinion, but for me.... 99% of any country music since about 1985 is dreadful, and the more sentimental or patriotic the intent, the worse. Music-wise, that is. I am enough of a farte d'olde that I don't count rap in the same category as music in general, or that genre would win this dubious distinction, at 99.85%.

From my youth: "In the Year 2525" (Zager & Evans? - do yourself a favor and do NOT look it up) was one that had me reaching to turn the radio knob quicker than anything else. So many others, and many were already included in the responses so far. Another good job by the BWI Board posters!

Amazing how universal some music taste/distaste is.
We can disagree on many things, but so many of us like or don't like the same music, comedy, movies, TV, etc. You my boyz (and girlz), BWI Board!

We had the Year 2525 on a 45 when I was growing up. I don't know why but I did listen to it a few times when I was very young.

Anybody remember that 80’s classic by Don Johnson of Miami Vice, “ Heartbeat “ ?
The video was also excreble.

Tough to comment on a thread that lists Hey Man Nice Shot, Big Yellow Taxi and New York as among the worst ever recorded. Three very good songs. First reactions were already mentioned: that terrible Eddie Murphy song and Seasons in the Sun.

Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" was always like fingernails on a blackboard to me. I'm not a fan of slow, maudlin songs.

Edited thanks to a correction from WeAre . . .

Last edited:
“But if memories are all I sang, I’d rather drive a truck”. This may be the single worst line of lyrics ever written.
I’ll see that lyric and raise you the profound Fergie lyric, “I’m going to miss you like a child misses a blanket”.

Reactions: Nitwit
Zoot Suit Riot by some band that hopefully turned their lives around to do something useful... like riding shotgun on a garbage truck. That song was popular with 13-year-old boys when my son was that age. Seems I couldn't get away from it.

The cherry poppin daddies have been around since 1989. Zoot suit riot was a huge hit during the swing revival. They played state college last month. I think they are doing way better than you are.

Being a dentist, I have to listen to a lot of contemporary, “ easy listening “ pop music.
Sometimes, you hear a song and you just know you’re going to really grow to hate it, because all of the “ easy listening “ stations have essentially the same playlist and you will have to listen to it 83,000 times.

Reactions: PSUfiji
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT