ADVERTISEMENT

Travel Heads up - Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

Parkland Fan

Jul 25, 2001
I flew from Atlanta to Allentown last night and the airport was a disaster. I have passed through that airport probably more than 75 times in the past 10 years and it was never this crowded, especially on a Sunday night.
The problem started with traffic backup at the airport. We travelled from Alpharetta with no delays then it took us about 20 minutes to get to the drop off area.
The bag check went quick, but then long lines to clear security. We were fortunate that twice we were directed to shorter lines but it still took about 35 minutes. Most, but not all, followed the mask rule. There was a group of about 8 wearing Abilene Christian Softball gear and none wore a mask.
The shuttle was absolutely packed. It reminded me of the videos for the Japanese subways when they had staff pushing people tighter.
Once we got to the concourse there were long lines at all of the food places. About half weren't open (probably staff shortages) and the ones that were open appeared short staffed.
The good news was that our flight was on time.
Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I flew from Atlanta to Allentown last night and the airport was a disaster. I have passed through that airport probably more than 75 times in the past 10 years and it was never this crowded, especially on a Sunday night.
The problem started with traffic backup at the airport. We travelled from Alpharetta with no delays then it took us about 20 minutes to get to the drop off area.
The bag check went quick, but then long lines to clear security. We were fortunate that twice we were directed to shorter lines but it still took about 35 minutes. Most, but not all, followed the mask rule. There was a group of about 8 wearing Abilene Christian Softball gear and none wore a mask.
The shuttle was absolutely packed. It reminded me of the videos for the Japanese subways when they had staff pushing people tighter.
Once we got to the concourse there were long lines at all of the food places. About half weren't open (probably staff shortages) and the ones that were open appeared short staffed.
Sorry for the rant.

I lived in Flowery Branch, Ga. and Cumming, Ga. sir.

Traffic SUX big time and the airport is MASSIVE!

Glad you made it out.

Sucks…the bus ride from economy parking to the terminal in Newark once took nearly an hour. I got there 2.5 hours prior to my flight (I had a feeling) and barely made it to the gate. Glad I don’t really have to fly for work any longer.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Sorry for the rant.

Sounds pretty normal for Atlanta. When you are the busiest airport in the world, it usually means you aren't going to get through security in 10 minutes or less. Sundays are usually a pretty big day for travel as well.

Ouch... the travel industry is going to take some time to ramp up. I went to San Jose about a month ago and the wait for a rental car was about an hour (fortunately, I am a frequent flier so went straight to my car). If you can get there in six hours, you are better off to drive right now.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Just flew in to ATL today from MSP. As an arriving pax, I had no issues. It WAS very crowded. I’ll let you know how my outbound experience goes later this week.

Last edited:
We’re in Orlando this week, and many of the resorts, hotels and parks are still short staffed. I feel bad for them, but it’s going to be pretty busy this year since so many people weren’t able to take vacations last year.

Air passenger traffic is still only 60-80% of what it was in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re in Orlando this week, and many of the resorts, hotels and parks are still short staffed. I feel bad for them, but it’s going to be pretty busy this year since so many people weren’t able to take vacations last year.

The supply chain is thoroughly screwed due to understaffing. Starbucks across the country have low stock of many items due to a lack of staffing along the supply chain. This is serious. I’m not pleasant to be around when I haven’t had my latte.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: EPC FAN
8 hours!!!!!!

I’m just home from an overnight trip CLT to BWI. The one hour flight required 8 hours of travel. Airports everywhere are mobbed. It’s crazy. I’m diving next week. F it!!!

“Ouch... the travel industry is going to take some time to ramp up. I went to San Jose about a month ago and the wait for a rental car was about an hour (fortunately, I am a frequent flier so went straight to my car). If you can get there in six hours, you are better off to drive right now.”

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Like most other industries, the airports can’t get anyone to work.

I detest that Airport - it is a must to have TSA Pre Check there and getting there sucks as well - only airport I missed my flight from - stupid trains were down and couldn’t get to my terminal in time walking.

Tell me about it. I had to wait 30 minutes to get a lap dance at the local shaker bar. Not emough talent working. 🙄
How did the strippers file to get the stimulus money? I know when I was in college I had a summer job updating info for the RL Polk city directory and I had a prostitute tell me her occupation was social worker, so who knows what strippers put down as their occupation.

It is, but with so many flights getting cancelled over the past 15 months or so, my understanding is that even more flights are being routed through hubs for efficiency reasons.

I detest that Airport - it is a must to have TSA Pre Check there and getting there sucks as well - only airport I missed my flight from - stupid trains were down and couldn’t get to my terminal in time walking.
Twice in the past on Rt. 400 I had to tell my driver to get off the highway and drop me off at a MARTA station. Traffic is terrible and unpredictable.

Sorry for the rant.
I have never had a good flight in or out of Atlanta. Of all the airports I hate, they get my #1 vote! Delta is the worst through there!!!

I flew from Munich to JFK on Delta. My luggage wound up in Atlanta. I figured it was gone for good, but it showed up a week later.

I go through Atlanta a ton. I don't really have any issues with the place. But every experience of mine is as a connector and rarely an originator. What I've heard from some who live there that fly out of there they say that you need to get there earlier because of the security lines. As one of my trips soon involves originating there, I'll need to keep that in mind even though I have TSA Precheck.

Reactions: TheGLOV
8 hours!!!!!!

I’m just home from an overnight trip CLT to BWI. The one hour flight required 8 hours of travel. Airports everywhere are mobbed. It’s crazy. I’m diving next week. F it!!!

“Ouch... the travel industry is going to take some time to ramp up. I went to San Jose about a month ago and the wait for a rental car was about an hour (fortunately, I am a frequent flier so went straight to my car). If you can get there in six hours, you are better off to drive right now.”
8 hours of flying and boy are my arms ever tired. Ba da bing. I'll show myself out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT