ADVERTISEMENT

Towards the end of the game Franklin was more animated than we've seen in quite some time.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Now before we start blowing each other I'm cognizant of the fact it was Rutgers and Veilleux isn't the second coming of Joe Montana but make no mistake, the play of the young kids invigorated Franklin and the players, in turn, fed off him. So much so it portends good things for the start of next season. Prior to today I was writing Franklin off sometime next year because I believed he'd lost the team. But not anymore. So regardless of the outcome in East Lansing just play like today, take that momentum into a bowl game and win it! Then 2022 sets up nicely and not the 2-4 start I envisioned. Complement the passing game with some run blocking and we might just start out 4-2. I know that last part is a big ask but what the hey. Get the salt peter off the training table of the offensive line. :cool:

Credit Rutgers for playing balls-out today. If you don't think they were committed then you missed Schiano chewing @ss on the sidelines.

Thank you.

Every day, Franklin needs to say to himself the following:

I am in the greatest possible situation a man could ever ask for.

I have one of the most storied, awesome football cultures ever to exist. It is unique.

I love it. I'm here to care for it. I eat, breathe, and sleep this culture. We win the right way. The best players always play. No player who disrespects our culture will stay. No player who respects our culture will be treated disrespectfully.

If I lose a little $$, what am I worried about - I have more $$ than a normal man can ever need.

So today, with the 12 hours I'm going to put into this program, what's the most important things I can do to move it forward. What are the few things I simply cannot do if I want to move the program forward.

If he can say that, he can, as one poster said (erroneously, I think) be JoePa II.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Now before we start blowing each other I'm cognizant of the fact it was Rutgers and Veilleux isn't the second coming of Joe Montana but make no mistake, the play of the young kids invigorated Franklin and the players, in turn, fed off him. So much so it portends good things for the start of next season. Prior to today I was writing Franklin off sometime next year because I believed he'd lost the team. But not anymore. So regardless of the outcome in East Lansing just play like today, take that momentum into a bowl game and win it! Then 2022 sets up nicely and not the 2-4 start I envisioned. Complement the passing game with some run blocking and we might just start out 4-2. I know that last part is a big ask but what the hey. Get the salt peter off the training table of the offensive line. :cool:

Credit Rutgers for playing balls-out today. If you don't think they were committed then you missed Schiano chewing @ss on the sidelines.

Thank you.
Veilleux was impressive today but don't get carried away. Next year is going to be a rebuilding year. We have to replace too many impact players.

Clifford
Dotson
Mustipher
Luketta
Stout
Brooks
Brisker
Ebiketie

I agree that the performance of younger players today gives us hope but I don't expect more than 8-4 next year. Maybe we can make a run in 2023.

Veilleux was impressive today but don't get carried away. Next year is going to be a rebuilding year. We have to replace too many impact players.

Clifford
Dotson
Mustipher
Luketta
Stout
Brooks
Brisker
Ebiketie

I agree that the performance of younger players today gives us hope but I don't expect more than 8-4 next year. Maybe we can make a run in 2023.
Agree lots of good players to replace but young guys showed ok today on the OL, Washington, KLS and now Meiga should be a good WR group, TE's need to do more and should. RB room will change but maybe Singleton can be the guy.

DL and OL as always are the keys. Hit the portal for experienced guys there and you never know

Agree lots of good players to replace but young guys showed ok today on the OL, Washington, KLS and now Meiga should be a good WR group, TE's need to do more and should. RB room will change but maybe Singleton can be the guy.

DL and OL as always are the keys. Hit the portal for experienced guys there and you never know
I don't know if we have room for portal players.

have to figure we lose some, couple WR/RB, maybe someone in the secondary or OL that is down the chart as a JR.
Next year's OL will have Wormley to plug in. He was projected to start and had a season ending injury. What happened to Des Holmes? Last year he was Mr. Versatility and he hasn't played much this year.

Reactions: BBrown and bison13

I have one of the most storied, awesome football cultures ever to exist. It is unique.

I love it. I'm here to care for it. I eat, breathe, and sleep this culture. We win the right way. The best players always play. No player who disrespects our culture will stay. No player who respects our culture will be treated disrespectfully.

If I lose a little $$, what am I worried about - I have more $$ than a normal man can ever need.

So today, with the 12 hours I'm going to put into this program, what's the most important things I can do to move it forward. What are the few things I simply cannot do if I want to move the program forward.

If he can say that, he can, as one poster said (erroneously, I think) be JoePa II.
IF.
Do you feel like he does that?

or do you still wonder why we played zero backups in a game at home with an injured and limited QB to the worst team in the big ten, gave up 10….10 points and lost. Today, CV put up 14 before 1.5 quarters were up.

I don’t know what he will be down the road but we certainly would not have lost to Illinois.

The game was pretty impressive considering they were ravaged by the flu and Rutgers was playing for a bowl. The offensive line was a make shift group with Tengwall, Effner, and Whigan playing and they had to throw a FR QB in there that hadn’t played in two years... I know I know it was Rutgers but still. Gang was beat up but they rallied. Hopefully they’ll be a bit healthier next week.

Last edited:
have to figure we lose some, couple WR/RB, maybe someone in the secondary or OL that is down the chart as a JR.
I understand but the scholarship grid shows 91 kids eligible to return. 6 of those have to leave early just to get down to 85.

Thank you.
i know exactly what you're talking about...but that actually is an issue i've had with Franklin...throughout the years when we are blowing teams out he will scream and get in backup players faces...like the Pitt blowout years ago on the road i remember him looking like a crazy person late in the game but he doesn't do it when it really counts early in the game with his starters...he just stares and doesn't talk with maybe a shake of the head...he needs to be more consistent in how he coaches his players throughout the game...maybe that's one reason why his teams tend to have really high - highs but really low - lows off and on too frequently

IF.
Do you feel like he does that?

or do you still wonder why we played zero backups in a game at home with an injured and limited QB to the worst team in the big ten, gave up 10….10 points and lost. Today, CV put up 14 before 1.5 quarters were up.

I don’t know what he will be down the road but we certainly would not have lost to Illinois.
I do NOT feel like he's done that recently.

NOW is the time to change. Forget a potentially bigger paycheck at LSU, USC or anywhere else.

Forget about being "the first African American to win the national title".

Dream instead about making PSU the best program it can be - winning, tradition like the Paterno days.

Reactions: THEEHMANN

Thank you.

I was encouraged by the spirit. Our guys kept their heads in the game. And judging by the reaction on the sidelines after the first three TD's, they were all in on Veilleux. Rightfully so.

That means, even after the last several weeks of disappointment, Franklin hasn't lost the team. Pretty important. But again, next week will tell us a lot.

I understand but the scholarship grid shows 91 kids eligible to return. 6 of those have to leave early just to get down to 85.
There will be at least 30 who leave. Seniors plus portal (roberson ?, a rb or 2, a wr or 2, a db or 2, etc) us someone like walker or smith leaving early.

Reactions: BBrown
I was encouraged by the spirit. Our guys kept their heads in the game. And judging by the reaction on the sidelines after the first three TD's, they were all in on Veilleux. Rightfully so.

That means, even after the last several weeks of disappointment, Franklin hasn't lost the team. Pretty important. But again, next week will tell us a lot.
If Veilleux wins next week, and a bowl game pending Clifford’s status, he has to be the frontrunner at qb next year. The team just looks more lively with hin at qb.

Reactions: Jerry

Thank you.
If you think Franklin isn’t animated watch the video of him after the Maryland game. I understand that certain people are critical of him and I get that. But the comment that Franklin may have lost the team is asinine. That includes a former player, Keith Conklin, who when making his pre-game prediction started out with the comment well we’ll see if Franklin has lost the team. A shameful comment from a former player. Criticize Franklin all you want, but I have never seen any of his players ever quit on him or their fellow players in the 8 years he has been here. Played lousy and flat like again Illinois-yes but quit -never. 35 kids were sick this week, none of the scholarship QBs were able to go through yesterday’s walk through. replaced 3 of your offensive lineman, had to play a true freshman QB but still manage to shut out a Big Ten opponent. May I suggest that the Franklin haters just shut up at least for that night, but I am sure they won’t.

If you think Franklin isn’t animated watch the video of him after the Maryland game. I understand that certain people are critical of him and I get that. But the comment that Franklin may have lost the team is asinine. That includes a former player, Keith Conklin, who when making his pre-game prediction started out with the comment well we’ll see if Franklin has lost the team. A shameful comment from a former player. Criticize Franklin all you want, but I have never seen any of his players ever quit on him or their fellow players in the 8 years he has been here. Played lousy and flat like again Illinois-yes but quit -never. 35 kids were sick this week, none of the scholarship QBs were able to go through yesterday’s walk through. replaced 3 of your offensive lineman, had to play a true freshman QB but still manage to shut out a Big Ten opponent. May I suggest that the Franklin haters just shut up at least for that night, but I am sure they won’t.
Because, well, Illinois happened.

i know exactly what you're talking about...but that actually is an issue i've had with Franklin...throughout the years when we are blowing teams out he will scream and get in backup players faces...like the Pitt blowout years ago on the road i remember him looking like a crazy person late in the game but he doesn't do it when it really counts early in the game with his starters...he just stares and doesn't talk with maybe a shake of the head...he needs to be more consistent in how he coaches his players throughout the game...maybe that's one reason why his teams tend to have really high - highs but really low - lows off and on too frequently
What a crock of BS.

Reactions: RGWhirly
There will be at least 30 who leave. Seniors plus portal (roberson ?, a rb or 2, a wr or 2, a db or 2, etc) us someone like walker or smith leaving early.
If 30 leave we would have 2 more spots. I understand that some will leave early but 8 seems like a lot. We'll see.

Because, well, Illinois happened.
But that doesn’t mean the team quit on him. No bigger Paterno fan than me, but you act like there were never any games where Penn State never played flat under Paterno. A 14-0 loss to Cincinnati on opening day immediately comes to mind. There also was an embarrassing home loss to Minnesota in 1999 which cost them a chance to play for the National Championship

You obviously did not follow the team last year. It’s well known that certain players did not train over the summer, certain players did not communicate with one another, certain coaches struggled to develop relationships and communicate with players, and there were issues against and amongst the offense vs defense. Dotson and Freiermith said in interviews there were “distractions” and some players were not pulling their weight. By definition, Justin Shorter quit on Franklin. Franklin almost quit on the team last year based on his mental state, and it was conversations with his wife and certain players/athletic administrators that helped him keep it together.

You obviously did not follow the team last year. It’s well known that certain players did not train over the summer, certain players did not communicate with one another, certain coaches struggled to develop relationships and communicate with players, and there were issues against and amongst the offense vs defense. Dotson and Freiermith said in interviews there were “distractions” and some players were not pulling their weight. By definition, Justin Shorter quit on Franklin. Franklin almost quit on the team last year based on his mental state, and it was conversations with his wife and certain players/athletic administrators that helped him keep it together.
Wade and Shelton were more interested in being social justice warriors than they were in being football players. Many of their teammates likely didn’t appreciate that distraction.

Clifford
Dotson
Mustipher
Luketta
Stout
Brooks
Brisker
Ebiketie

At what point in time if ever do we get to the level of our conference nemesis The Ohio State University? That I’m all for!
Unfortunately this program will never be as good as I want them to be.

But that doesn’t mean the team quit on him. No bigger Paterno fan than me, but you act like there were never any games where Penn State never played flat under Paterno. A 14-0 loss to Cincinnati on opening day immediately comes to mind. There also was an embarrassing home loss to Minnesota in 1999 which cost them a chance to play for the National Championship
I agree. I made no comment on who quit or didn’t. I don’t think the team quit at all. I’m not even clear what an animated Franklin means. I was around for the loss to Cincy, for that matter so my perspective is just fine.

What I do know is our coach started a player against Illinois that Few people expected to start and left him in for an entire game despite the obviousness of his injury and severe limitations. It was said before the game that if we can’t win with a backup QB then we aren’t that good. Turns out with a hampered QB against the worst team in the league we can’t score 11 points. But, there was a QB on the bench that out scored 14 points in about 18 minutes against Rutgers…who is better than Illinois. It’s not about if the coach lost the players, it’s about the game time decisions of the coach. I don’t know how good CV is, but he clearly could have beaten Illinois even with mistakes.

At what point in time if ever do we get to the level of our conference nemesis The Ohio State University? That I’m all for!
Unfortunately this program will never be as good as I want them to be.
We might never get to OSU's level but I'd like to see us beat OSU every 3 years. A year where we have a lot of returning starters and OSU has key players leaving for the NFL.

For all the Paterno haters: The all time series record is 22-14 in favor of OSU. But PSU has lost 9 of the last 10 since 2011.

woe there Nellie. JoePA could recruit AND coach, motivate, and was phenomenal in his preparation for bowl games. Only a 1/2 dozen of ALL other DI coaches can even compare, IMHO.

woe there Nellie. JoePA could recruit AND coach, motivate, and was phenomenal in his preparation for bowl games. Only a 1/2 dozen of ALL other DI coaches can even compare, IMHO.
Perhaps I let my enthusiasm get the better of my reasoning.

Thank you.
Why do you think he had lost the team? This team has played hard all year, including against Illinois, at least on D. On offense, it sure looks like some on the OL and TE took plays off, but I can't see where he had lost the team. I think there just wasn't enough competition at some positions, so some players got too comfortable.

Franklin said 35 players were out this week with the flu. Yesterday, all 3 scholarship QBs were out. He didn't know Veilleux would be available until this morning. Clifford was on IV during warm-ups and gave it a go, but wasn't himself.

Some posters talk how the coaches aren't coaching people up. Well, you can't say that about Veilleux and some of the younger players after today. Franklin was asked about Veilleux and he said players are allowed to improve.

Clifford
Dotson
Mustipher
Luketta
Stout
Brooks
Brisker
Ebiketie

3 of those guys will be back.

I agree. I made no comment on who quit or didn’t. I don’t think the team quit at all. I’m not even clear what an animated Franklin means. I was around for the loss to Cincy, for that matter so my perspective is just fine.

What I do know is our coach started a player against Illinois that Few people expected to start and left him in for an entire game despite the obviousness of his injury and severe limitations. It was said before the game that if we can’t win with a backup QB then we aren’t that good. Turns out with a hampered QB against the worst team in the league we can’t score 11 points. But, there was a QB on the bench that out scored 14 points in about 18 minutes against Rutgers…who is better than Illinois. It’s not about if the coach lost the players, it’s about the game time decisions of the coach. I don’t know how good CV is, but he clearly could have beaten Illinois even with mistakes.

Joe always staring a freshman a week late was better than a week too soon.

Reactions: therod
There was a Stanford Bowl game in the early 90's (might have been right after our announcement to the B1G) but that might have been the first time I'd ever seen a PSU team quit.

Auburn looks like a team that has quit over last few weeks. Our guys have never quit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT