ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 PSU in CFP

Notre Dame got beat too badly today to still make it in, IMO. They also still have to beat Stanford.

I would give us a 5% chance at this point.... play out the rest of the season out 20 times, and maybe we make it during 1 of those times.

5%? Our best win is a terrible michigan team. 0%

You are wrong. They were not putting two teams in from the same conference, especially with one having two losses and the other having 1 loss. This year, maybe from the SEC if you have Bama undefeated and UGA with 1 loss and every other conference champ having 2 or 3 losses. But not last year. It was either OSU or PSU.

It wasn't-they even said it wasn't discussed. Ohio St and us weren't even close last year because of the loss to Pitt vs the win against Oklahoma. Penn State-Ohio State was not a thing. Blame them for refusing to have two teams from one conference as to why Washington got in over us but we were not even close to Ohio State...everyone outside our fan base comprehends that

Again--you're wrong for multiple reasons. Penn State/Ohio State was NEVER a debate last year. Ohio State was significantly ahead of Penn State. We all should know that by now and accept it. See the win against Oklahoma vs the loss to Pitt. Wisconsin has a Penn State-esque resume without a quality non-conference game. Penn State-Ohio State also didn't play for the title. There's no way the committee will ever select a losing team over the wining team when they played in game 13. The fact you even think Penn State-Ohio State was a thing last year is frightening. It was Penn State-Washington which should have gone to us given their schedule but none of this has anything to do with Wisconsin 12-1 vs Ohio State 11-2 when Ohio State beat them in game 13 with the better resume. Ohio State's loss to Oklahoma is going to be completely ignored--they won't be penalized for playing a legit non-conference game.
So which member of the committee are you friends with and getting your inside info from? You post as if you were on the committee. OSU/PSU absolutely was a discussion as was Washington/PSU. The discussion was how much importance does a conference championship or lack of one factor in. Just because you adamantly state that the discussion was never about OSU vs PSU doesn't mean it's true. I heard multiple discussions about the playoffs last year and almost all of them talked about whether PSU should get in over OSU because PSU won the conference and beat OSU head to head.

Miami losing to Pitt doesn't knock them out--ask Clemson last year
Narduzzi isn't a bad coach--he's not going anywhere even if the lose out...your bias is blinding you
Oh look, we have a spitt troll among us today. Isn't this special. He's defending the Douchbag which is just hilarious.

BTW, I just looked at this trolls posts...everyone single one of them is either defending sPitt AND/OR being negative about our team.

Oh look, we have a spitt troll among us today. Isn't this special. He's defending the Douchbag which is just hilarious.

BTW, I just looked at this trolls posts...everyone single one of them is either defending sPitt AND/OR being negative about our team.
Check out his posts during the game thread. It's like LionRevival is back (and maybe he is). Absolutely a Pitt troll.

So, we have a poster that didn't listen to the committee and a poster that thinks rational people are Pitt trolls. The fact someone even says sPitt proves how immature they are. Just like P$U, sc-UM or the idiots that say Ped State.

I'm thinking that Penn State moves up to #10 in the CFP rankings on Tuesday - jumping Notre Dame, TCU, Washington, and MSU.

What do you think?

If we win out, I think that the highest we can hope for is 6 (arguably 5), if:

Michigan over Wisconsin... would be surprised
Bama over Auburn
Bama over Georgia in SEC champ
Miami over Clemson in ACC champ
WVU over Okla??? doubtful
Mich over OSU... also would be very surprised

USC will win out... and some teams may leapfrog us, since our late schedule comp is very week. (although, we could also leapfrog USC as well).

My final CFP guess, top 4, would be: Bama, Miami/Clemson, Oklahoma (1 loss).. and maybe that other Clemson/Miami team (if Clemson beats Miami... otherwise a 2 loss clemson, that late, is out - then, the B10 champ would be in)

It's painful to see what PSU let slip away against MSU!

In other words - this season is a freaking mess! If only Pitt upsets Clemson again this year, that would be huuugggeee.

We won’t be in top 10 this week. Maybe move up only two spots. ND and TCU will stay ahead of us. OklaSt could even jump above us. We’ll probably be #12 and it may be tough to get into top #9 for a NY6 spot (In the past 3 yrs of NY6 only top #9 in final Dec rankings made it into NY6 bowls. The #10 ranked team missed it 2 out of 3 years.).

If TCU loses again to Oklahoma and ND loses to Stanford, we likely get into 10 spot but that’s not a guarantee. If Auburn loses to Bama, I would hope Auburn drops below us but not sure if that happens. If two of those three things happen AND OSU loses, then yes, PSU gets in top #9. Having USC loss in Pac12 champ game would also be good but then again, the Pac12 champ could jump us in the rankings.

If TCU beats OU in rematch, OU stays above PSU. If Georgia loses in SEC champ game, they likely stay ahead of us. If Miami loses to Clemson in ACC champ, they stay above us. If Clemson loses to Miami, they likely still stay above us.

LOL at this sPitt troll thing. See if I'm on that board. It's only hysterical that if someone isn't blinded by their emotions toward the team that they root for then they must be trolling

We won’t be in top 10 this week. Maybe move up only two spots. ND and TCU will stay ahead of us. OklaSt could even jump above us. We’ll probably be #12 and it may be tough to get into top #9 for a NY6 spot (In the past 3 yrs of NY6 only top #9 in final Dec rankings made it into NY6 bowls. The #10 ranked team missed it 2 out of 3 years.).

If TCU loses again to Oklahoma and ND loses to Stanford, we likely get into 10 spot but that’s not a guarantee. If those two things happen AND OSU loses, then yes, PSU gets in top #9. Having USC loss in Pac12 champ game would also be good but then again, the Pac12 champ could jump us in the rankings.

If TCU beats OU in rematch, OU stays above PSU. If Miami loses to Clemson in ACC champ, they stay above us. If Clemson loses to Miami, they likely still stay above us.

This^^^^

So, we have a poster that didn't listen to the committee and a poster that thinks rational people are Pitt trolls. The fact someone even says sPitt proves how immature they are. Just like P$U, sc-UM or the idiots that say Ped State.

You are not as rational as you want to believe. Not because of your assurance that PSU won't be in the CFP - I agree with that. Not because of your comments re Pitt, who I don't give one crap about. It's your comments - all of them - building up Ohio State. Feet to the fire I'd swear you were Kirk Herbstreit. Say some nice things about PSU, but only as long as they don't negatively affect OSU. Helluva game plan.

You are not as rational as you want to believe. Not because of your assurance that PSU won't be in the CFP - I agree with that. Not because of your comments re Pitt, who I don't give one crap about. It's your comments - all of them - building up Ohio State. Feet to the fire I'd swear you were Kirk Herbstreit. Say some nice things about PSU, but only as long as they don't negatively affect OSU. Helluva game plan.

What are you talking about? I think JT Barrett is awful and I'm still livid we allowed him to pick us apart. I don't think Ohio State is a top 4 team but I do believe if they win out they'll be in because of their quality wins (Penn State & Wisconsin should be top 10-12) and that they played a top 5-8 Oklahoma team even if they lost. You guys don't like Herbie because he doesn't falsely hype Penn State. As a Penn State fan I'll take him over anyone to discuss football. He's extremely knowledgeable even if you think he's biased. Whatever team wins the Big Ten, hopefully Wisconsin, will likely be in the playoff. If Ohio State makes it I'd bet against them winning a game against anyone

If TCU loses again to Oklahoma and ND loses to Stanford, we likely get into 10 spot but that’s not a guarantee. If Auburn loses to Bama, I would hope Auburn drops below us but not sure if that happens. If two of those three things happen AND OSU loses, then yes, PSU gets in top #9. Having USC loss in Pac12 champ game would also be good but then again, the Pac12 champ could jump us in the rankings.

If TCU beats OU in rematch, OU stays above PSU. If Georgia loses in SEC champ game, they likely stay ahead of us. If Miami loses to Clemson in ACC champ, they stay above us. If Clemson loses to Miami, they likely still stay above us.
Those #10 teams that missed it were not Penn State. PSU is in NY6 at 10

Reactions: psugisher
What are you talking about? I think JT Barrett is awful and I'm still livid we allowed him to pick us apart. I don't think Ohio State is a top 4 team but I do believe if they win out they'll be in because of their quality wins (Penn State & Wisconsin should be top 10-12) and that they played a top 5-8 Oklahoma team even if they lost. You guys don't like Herbie because he doesn't falsely hype Penn State. As a Penn State fan I'll take him over anyone to discuss football. He's extremely knowledgeable even if you think he's biased. Whatever team wins the Big Ten, hopefully Wisconsin, will likely be in the playoff. If Ohio State makes it I'd bet against them winning a game against anyone

I don't want Herbstreit to falsely hype PSU, I want him to be unbiased, which he most definitely is not. As for you, you tout 2-beatdown-loss OSU as a final four team because of 2 quality wins (one of which is hypothetical, the other is PSU who you otherwise consider unworthy of consideration), yet you denigrate Miami, who has zero losses and just bitchslapped previously #2 UGA. As I said in another thread, I'm finding it hard to believe you're serious.

I don't want Herbstreit to falsely hype PSU, I want him to be unbiased, which he most definitely is not. As for you, you tout 2-beatdown-loss OSU as a final four team because of 2 quality wins (one of which is hypothetical, the other is PSU who you otherwise consider unworthy of consideration), yet you denigrate Miami, who has zero losses and just bitchslapped previously #2 UGA. As I said in another thread, I'm finding it hard to believe you're serious.

He is unbiased--he left the state of Ohio because they are mad he isn't biased.
What are you talking about. Right now, Ohio State is about 8 on my list. If they win out (IF) they will make the playoff because that would include a win against Wisconsin and Clemson/Miami plus two SEC teams have to lose games. I have Miami CURRENYL ahead of Ohio State....wtf are you talking about.

Those #10 teams that missed it were not Penn State. PSU is in NY6 at 10

Yup, they weren’t PSU. I’m also guessing you didn’t look at those years to find out why the #10 team didn’t get into the NY6. The reason was two-fold:

1. The highest ranked non-Big 5 conference champ was ranked lower than #12.
2. Certain conference teams made it into the playoff and their conference required a replacement pick of the next highest ranked team from that conference.

Therefore, the 12 slots were all full by the time they got to the #10th ranked team. It doesn’t matter which teams bring fans or ratings anymore—it’s about the CFP rankings and their bylaws to fill those spots.

Yup, they weren’t PSU. I’m also guessing you didn’t look at those years to find out why the #10 team didn’t get into the NY6. The reason was two-fold:

1. The highest ranked non-Big 5 conference champ was ranked lower than #12.
2. Certain conference teams made it into the playoff and their conference required a replacement pick of the next highest ranked team from that conference.

Therefore, the 12 slots were all full by the time they got to the #10th ranked team. It doesn’t matter which teams bring fans or ratings anymore—it’s about the CFP rankings and their bylaws to fill those spots.

If Clemson wins a close ACC championship against Miami and they both end up in the playoff at 12-1, the Orange Bowl will select an ACC team that will almost certainly be ranked >15 (probably NC State or VA Tech).

The Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC, and SEC champions are all looking like they'll be ranked <10, so a top 10 CFP ranking at the end of the season will be enough to get in the NY6, and 11 would do it if the Miami+Clemson in the playoff doesn't happen.

Penn State remaining ranked ahead of Oklahoma State would be a very good sign for ending up in the NY6. A New Year's Day Citrus Bowl in Orlando would be the consolation prize for Penn State just missing the NY6, in all likelihood.

Please cite the proof that he's extremely knowledgeable. His game picks week after week are average to poor. He says things like Indiana's passing attack is the best OSU will play all year. He's very well-spoken and polished, no doubt but where the rubber meets the road he's usually wrong. I actually like him as an announcer, but I'm not sold on his knowledge level being all that much higher than everyone else. So he watches a lot of games...many other people do as well and they don't get paid for it.

If Clemson wins a close ACC championship against Miami and they both end up in the playoff at 12-1, the Orange Bowl will select an ACC team that will almost certainly be ranked >15 (probably NC State or VA Tech).

The Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC, and SEC champions are all looking like they'll be ranked <10, so a top 10 CFP ranking at the end of the season will be enough to get in the NY6, and 11 would do it if the Miami+Clemson in the playoff doesn't happen.

Penn State remaining ranked ahead of Oklahoma State would be a very good sign for ending up in the NY6. A New Year's Day Citrus Bowl in Orlando would be the consolation prize for Penn State just missing the NY6, in all likelihood.

Agree about Oklahoma State. If they jump us in the latest rankings, I don’t think PSU gets into NY6 because I don’t think remaining schedule has anything left for CFP committee to rationalize jumping OK State.

People on here can continue to make blanket statement that PSU is in top 10 of CFP and a NY6 bowl if they win out but if one looks at it the schedules, the rankings above and below PSU, and the way NY6 bowl game opponents are selected, they’d realize it’s not that simple. The days of PSU getting selected just because they may bring fans, $, and ratings is over. That’s not the way the college football world works now and people have to realize that.

Agree about Oklahoma State. If they jump us in the latest rankings, I don’t think PSU gets into NY6 because I don’t think remaining schedule has anything left for CFP committee to rationalize jumping OK State.

People on here can continue to make blanket statement that PSU is in top 10 of CFP and a NY6 bowl if they win out but if one looks at it the schedules, the rankings above and below PSU, and the way NY6 bowl game opponents are selected, they’d realize it’s not that simple. The days of PSU getting selected just because they may bring fans, $, and ratings is over. That’s not the way the college football world works now and people have to realize that.
When did college football stop being about money? Please enlighten me.

It's still about $ but there's rules in place to prevent that from being the highest priority. We definitely aren't any longer guaranteed to get a spot over teams like TCU or Oklahoma State just based on how much money we'll bring for the bowl.

It's still about $ but there's rules in place to prevent that from being the highest priority. We definitely aren't any longer guaranteed to get a spot over teams like TCU or Oklahoma State just based on how much money we'll bring for the bowl.

Exactly. You don’t think Ok State is saying that they would bring fans, $, and ratings to a NY6 bowl? One of the many points of the CFP and NY6 was to make it fair for high ranked teams to get the best bowls.

Please enlighten me—did the CFP committee change their goal of ranking the teams according to the on-field performances and now lets bowl reps and schools convince them where to rank teams according to tv ratings and fan $?

Penn St, if they beat two more awful teams, will be in the NY6. CBS has Cotton Bowl vs ND. That would be fun for a Friday night.

Good. There should never be a 2 loss team in....I mean lose once and you may get another chance. But lose twice and you should be done....except us last year
There are only six one or zero loss P5 teams left and some will play one another. It could happen.

Please enlighten me—did the CFP committee change their goal of ranking the teams according to the on-field performances and now lets bowl reps and schools convince them where to rank teams according to tv ratings and fan $?
Did you say Ohio State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT