ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Drew Allar

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

See Link. Thought this was a pretty well-rounded evaluation of Saturday. Showed the good, but also showed the stuff that needs to be ironed out. And the only way it can be ironed out is if Allar plays. This is a true 2018 Clemson Kelly Bryant/Trevor Lawrence situation and 2018 Georgia Jake Fromm/Justin Fields situation. One coach went one way (Dabo picking Lawrence) and it paid off, one coach went the other way (Kirby sticking with Fromm) and it might have cost UGA a real chance to win the national title in 2019 and 2020 since Fields left for OSU but Kirby went with the experienced guy and not the uber-talented guy. I don't think Allar would leave if he's not starting by season's end...but with NIL money and the bags being tossed around, it's not unfathomable.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimarnp
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

See Link. Thought this was a pretty well-rounded evaluation of Saturday. Showed the good, but also showed the stuff that needs to be ironed out. And the only way it can be ironed out is if Allar plays. This is a true 2018 Clemson Kelly Bryant/Trevor Lawrence situation and 2018 Georgia Jake Fromm/Justin Fields situation. One coach went one way (Dabo picking Lawrence) and it paid off, one coach went the other way (Kirby sticking with Fromm) and it might have cost UGA a real chance to win the national title in 2019 and 2020 since Fields left for OSU but Kirby went with the experienced guy and not the uber-talented guy. I don't think Allar would leave if he's not starting by season's end...but with NIL money and the bags being tossed around, it's not unfathomable.
links isn't working for me

links isn't working for me

Interesting comparison to Lawrence and Fields. Particularly because of the timing in which Allar was inserted into the Ohio game. We didn't burn no clock. Straight in after one SC-led possession. Full offensive compliment, game nowhere near over (on a day many upsets occurred), substituting liberally, and throwing dimes to wide open YOUNG WRs and TE Dinkins.

If our offense sputters, I don't think we hesitate to give Allar the reins.

I'm with lazy Dave. Great to have Allar. Clifford seems to get banged up often so should be plenty of opportunity, and I believe Franklin would pull the trigger and insert Allar in meaningful games and moments if the offense sputters too long.

DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

The Fromm/Fields situation isn't a particularly good parallel to the Clifford/Allar situation since Fromm had two years of eligibility and Clifford has one. Fields wasn't willing to be a two-year back-up.

Good analysis (as it usual for these guys).

Pointing out the things he needs to work on reinforces why it is important for him to play behind Clifford this year.

Did not notice it in real time, but on the second run they feature (the one to the left side), the WR could have gone for huge yardage had he floated downfield with Allar and Allar optioned to him, as the OLB goes directly after Allar once it becomes clear he is running the ball. Trace executed this exact option several times on very similar plays. I wonder if the coaches will review this play with Allar and WRs pointing out that it could have been a huge play if the WR had trailed the play preserving an "option" for Drew, and if Drew had been looking to his left for the safety checkdown.

DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

super good evaluation. He always does a phenomenal job of showing you thinks that you would never notice in real time

Reactions: OaktonDave
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

Georgia played in the National Championship game with Fromm at QB and lost to Alabama. Are you claiming that they would have won it if the played Fields that year as a freshman? C’mon man. This post has nothing to do with my thoughts about whether Allar should be playing more or possibly starting.

Georgia played in the National Championship game with Fromm at QB and lost to Alabama. Are you claiming that they would have won it if the played Fields that year as a freshman? C’mon man. This post has nothing to do with my thoughts about whether Allar should be playing more or possibly starting.
if-you-aint-first-youre-last-gary-cole.gif

I think the OP is talking about Fields transferring out for '19 and '20 vs staying at UGA. Not that Fields should have started in '18 or came in against Bama in the title game.

Fromm returned the following year; we don't have that issue with Clifford.

Allar reminds me of the mind of Brady.......the arm strength of Elway and the ability to throw from different angles like Patrick Mahomes. If only he could run better............

Really like what I see from Allar, shocking how much he seems to have improved since the BW Game/scrimmage. He seems to be able to see the field and anticipate routes while moving around the pocket buying some time.....really interested to see how he developes with the current RBs, WRs and the improving OL......sky is the limit. I like CV quite abit and thought that Beua looked like the 2nd best QB in the BWI......so we seem to have quite a few options at QB.

Reactions: brupsu

Interesting comparison to Lawrence and Fields. Particularly because of the timing in which Allar was inserted into the Ohio game. We didn't burn no clock. Straight in after one SC-led possession. Full offensive compliment, game nowhere near over (on a day many upsets occurred), substituting liberally, and throwing dimes to wide open YOUNG WRs and TE Dinkins.

If our offense sputters, I don't think we hesitate to give Allar the reins.

It will be interesting to see how he fares against Auburn. He looked okay vs Purdue. Some great reads and throws, and some... not.

Lots of potential, but sort of like an 8 month old Great Dane. Still needs about a year.

Reactions: lazydave841
The Fromm/Fields situation isn't a particularly good parallel to the Clifford/Allar situation since Fromm had two years of eligibility and Clifford has one. Fields wasn't willing to be a two-year back-up.
I agree. Allar is pretty much in control of his own destiny at Penn State, other than how much he plays this year. While Clifford is the starter, I see 'the carpet rolled out' for him starting next year, quite possibly getting more significant and even meaningful reps, which would be good for all going into next year...I can't see Franklin consciously going into next year with someone who spent the entire previous year on the sidelines and disconnected to the playing field. College football at this level in front of these crowds in such big games is a big step for even someone rated as high as him. It was good he saw some action in a competitive road game like Purdue, and I hope he gets some time at Auburn.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT