ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Stevens/Jalen Hurts - a what if crazy scenario?

proud2bpsufan

Jan 4, 2013
I hardly ever post but I do read this forum religiously as a PSU fanatic and alumni. I thought it would be fun to add to an already interesting topic about Tommy Stevens. After all, that's why we are here on this site so have fun with it. It just goes to show how imagination takes us to crazy places.

I wanted to see how Alabama fans were handling their lower than normal signing day ranking so I checked out the 247 free forum.

One of the thread topics was..."New QB?" It was about a new QB coming into the program.
Here is the quote posted in the thread.
Saban on quarterbacks: “We’ll probably have a quarterback join us in some kind of way which I can’t really talk about.”

The quote didn't sound like much to me at first. However, the posters went on to speculate that Saban might be referring to a grad student who will be transferring into the program and can't say who it is yet. This is where my brain started to go off the rails.

Hypothetical Scenario...Josh Gattis shows up as the new coach and tells Saban that highly talented Stevens still has 2 years to actually play. He will be 2nd string at PSU for at least 1 more year, even though some people in this forum (not me) think he should be starting. TS might consider transferring to Alabama if he has a legit chance to compete for the starting position this season and next. Given the way the QB season ended at Alabama, is it unreasonable to think that Saban might be open to the idea? Given Stevens position here as the backup, might he want to take a shot at being the starting QB for the defending national champions? What better way to raise your draft status if it actually happened?
Now, add to the craziness how previous forum posts on the TS transfer topic also included the discussion of Jalen Hurts transferring into the PSU program.
This would be an epic swap in the history of college football, Stevens for Hurts, and talked about for decades to come. Just think if we end up playing Alabama in the NC game this year pitting TM against TS in an epic battle (which PSU wins of course). And then in 2019, we play them again with Jalen Hurts starting in a PSU uniform against Stevens (which PSU wins of course).
Whoa! This stuff just writes itself, doesn't it?
I know. It has no real basis in reality but I'm home from work today and my mind just kept piling on the craziness!

I hardly ever post but I do read this forum religiously as a PSU fanatic and alumni. I thought it would be fun to add to an already interesting topic about Tommy Stevens. After all, that's why we are here on this site so have fun with it. It just goes to show how imagination takes us to crazy places.

I wanted to see how Alabama fans were handling their lower than normal signing day ranking so I checked out the 247 free forum.

One of the thread topics was..."New QB?" It was about a new QB coming into the program.
Saban on quarterbacks: “We’ll probably have a quarterback join us in some kind of way which I can’t really talk about.”

The quote didn't sound like much to me at first. However, the posters went on to speculate that Saban might be referring to a grad student who will be transferring into the program and can't say who it is yet. This is where my brain started to go off the rails.

Hypothetical Scenario...Josh Gattis shows up as the new coach and tells Saban that highly talented Stevens still has 2 years to actually play. He will be 2nd string at PSU for at least 1 more year, even though some people in this forum (not me) think he should be starting. TS might consider transferring to Alabama if he has a legit chance to compete for the starting position this season and next. Given the way the QB season ended at Alabama, is it unreasonable to think that Saban might be open to the idea? Given Stevens position here as the backup, might he want to take a shot at being the starting QB for the defending national champions? What better way to raise your draft status if it actually happened?
Now, add to the craziness how previous forum posts on the TS transfer topic also included the discussion of Jalen Hurts transferring into the PSU program.
This would be an epic swap in the history of college football, Stevens for Hurts, and talked about for decades to come. Just think if we end up playing Alabama in the NC game this year pitting TM against TS in an epic battle (which PSU wins of course). And then in 2019, we play them again with Jalen Hurts starting in a PSU uniform against Stevens (which PSU wins of course).
I know. It has no real basis in reality but I'm home from work today and my mind just kept piling on the craziness!
You forgot to start that off with "once upon a time... ":)

Why would TS transfer somewhere where the assumed starter is younger/has more eligibility than he does?

Why finish out his career sitting on the bench for two years when he can play some next year as a utility player and finish his final year as a starter.

I think if he’s going to transfer, it’s going to be to a place he knows he will definitely start, not to a “maybe” situation.

Reactions: PoquosonLion

My dream was about waking up with Sela Ward. To each his own.

Reactions: harbest and LionJim
Each time I watched Alabama this year I asked why don't they have a better QB than Jalen Hurts? With all their recruiting prowess, he's the best they can come up with? They can keep him

That was long. I got about five sentences in and forgot what the topic was about. But, what the hell...... At least you don't post in one word sentences.

Each time I watched Alabama this year I asked why don't they have a better QB than Jalen Hurts? With all their recruiting prowess, he's the best they can come up with? They can keep him

Hurts would love playing in our scheme. All the kid does is win. I really don't understand the hate directed toward him. He had 25 TDs this year against only 1 INT. He ran for nearly 900 yards. He didn't attempt nearly as many passes this year as last because Bama simply didn't need to throw the ball. I believe, could be right or wrong, he's the exact kind of QB we want in this system.

Hurts would love playing in our scheme. All the kid does is win. I really don't understand the hate directed toward him. He had 25 TDs this year against only 1 INT. He ran for nearly 900 yards. He didn't attempt nearly as many passes this year as last because Bama simply didn't need to throw the ball. I believe, could be right or wrong, he's the exact kind of QB we want in this system.

He had 17 td passes, not 25. I wouldn't want him taking most of the deep shots we ask of Trace. His only multi TD games during the regular season were Colorado State, Ole Miss and Mercer.

He had 17 td passes, not 25. I wouldn't want him taking most of the deep shots we ask of Trace. His only multi TD games during the regular season were Colorado State, Ole Miss and Mercer.

25 TDs...including 8 on the ground. I didn't say 25 passing TDs. I don't believe for a second that Franklin would agree with you. If Hurts moves on we'll make a huge run at him as will a ton of programs. The fact he threw just one pick all year is impressive regardless of what spin you'd like to put on it

My son is freshman at UA, so I've been following them pretty closely for the past two years. Regardless of what you think of his quarterbacking skills, Hurts is exactly the kind of kid we would be proud to have at PSU.

"I hardly ever post......"

You fooled us. I read your story to put my kids to bed tonight. Great imagination! :)

Why would TS transfer somewhere where the assumed starter is younger/has more eligibility than he does?

have to agree there - many other schools would make more sense. going somewhere with a big QB opening makes more sense. he could start at many schools. safe bet would be the MAC though - better QB rep than BIG.

25 TDs...including 8 on the ground. I didn't say 25 passing TDs. I don't believe for a second that Franklin would agree with you. If Hurts moves on we'll make a huge run at him as will a ton of programs. The fact he threw just one pick all year is impressive regardless of what spin you'd like to put on it

You’re skewing his stats. His touchdown to int ratio is 17-1 which is still impressive but no one includes rushing tds for a qb in that stat. If you think Franklin would have hurts chuck it up 427 times you don’t think much of him as a coach. After talking up hurts before the championship game and having him get benched you’d think you’d eat a little crow but nope.

One pick all year could also be indicative of a qb who is gun shy and doesn’t let it rip. I haven’t watched a lot of Bama this year but it seemed like Hurts was playing it very safe in the first half of the championship game (little anticipation, little ability to throw people open by putting ball in an area where his guys can make a play, lack of mid range to deep passing game, etc.). Bama’s offense was totally different when Tua came in and started slinging it. It was like the shackles were taken off Bama’s offensive coordinator.

I am sure we would take Hurts if he wanted to transfer. But from the limited sample I have seen, he needs to improve significantly before being the kind of passer our offense needs to succeed.

As far as the type of QB Franklin wants, I think you are confusing Penn State for Ohio State. We will never run our QB the way OSU ran Barret. Nor will we run our QB the way Bama ran Hurts. Our QBs must be strong passers first and foremost. Franklin also wants a QB who can make things happen with their feet (buy time, etc.) while avoiding big hits. We run a west coast based passing scheme that takes a fair amount of precision to work at a high level. Our offense would not operate properly without an excellent passer at the helm. And no qb can be an excellent passer if they take the kind of beating that run first QBs take.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
I think if he’s going to transfer, it’s going to be to a place he knows he will definitely start, not to a “maybe” situation.

There's the rub. There aren't many "definitely" situations out there, certainly not among top 15 programs. He'd have to win the job. If he stays at PSU at least he has a defined role and a known situation.

How ya doin' today, Gunnie?

Now that was Fun

I'll take Tommy Stevens over Jalen Hurts to run our offense any day of the week. Thank goodness you're only having a dream.

I’m just not clear why we would be interested in Hurts. I also see Franklin making a collective effort of zero to get him if he’s transferring.

There's the rub. There aren't many "definitely" situations out there, certainly not among top 15 programs. He'd have to win the job. If he stays at PSU at least he has a defined role and a known situation.
That was my thought...I think he would not transfer to a top 15 program, but one where he knows he’s going to start. If someone is going to transfer out of school I have to assume playing time is more important than winning.

I think Rick and Marty Lagina have a better chance at finding treasure in the money pit.

You’re skewing his stats. His touchdown to int ratio is 17-1 which is still impressive but no one includes rushing tds for a qb in that stat. If you think Franklin would have hurts chuck it up 427 times you don’t think much of him as a coach. After talking up hurts before the championship game and having him get benched you’d think you’d eat a little crow but nope.

I'm not skewing stats. He accounted for 25 TDs. I count McSorley's rushing TDs as TDs he's accounted for as well. I don't need to skew stats when he has a 17-1 TD to INT ratio. When did I talk up Hurts before the game? The first discussion of Hurts was truly during that game. Nothing that happened against Georgia altered anything for me. Saban went with the better passer. Hurts is only going to improve, just like McSorley has, and Hurts, like McSorley, is a winner and a leader. The way Hurts handling the benching in that game should only make a fan want him on their team more. Hurts is accurate and he's a huge threat in the run game. If he moves on we'll be chasing. The fact there's actually people saying they wouldn't want Hurts is just comical at this point and show how drastically we overrate our guys and underrate others.

I'm not skewing stats. He accounted for 25 TDs. I count McSorley's rushing TDs as TDs he's accounted for as well. I don't need to skew stats when he has a 17-1 TD to INT ratio. When did I talk up Hurts before the game? The first discussion of Hurts was truly during that game. Nothing that happened against Georgia altered anything for me. Saban went with the better passer. Hurts is only going to improve, just like McSorley has, and Hurts, like McSorley, is a winner and a leader. The way Hurts handling the benching in that game should only make a fan want him on their team more. Hurts is accurate and he's a huge threat in the run game. If he moves on we'll be chasing. The fact there's actually people saying they wouldn't want Hurts is just comical at this point and show how drastically we overrate our guys and underrate others.
This whole discussion is not worth the time since Hurt is not coming to Penn State. It’s not like we’ve made a living off transfers like some schools (hello Michigan and WVU).

Tough crowd.....don't take in personal.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT