ADVERTISEMENT

Todd blackledge

Bottom line to me is that if you expect kids to bust their behinds for a full 60 minutes, then you should be coaching for the full 60 minutes.
This is my stance as well. CJF is going to hold himself to the same standards that he asks of the team. I'm totally fine with this. This was a similar situation to the timeout before the Georgia State field goal attempt. Franklin wants the team to compete in everything and he's going to do the same thing himself.

Reactions: indynittany
So, if we are to believe that Tommy's not coming back soon, then this might be a strategy going forward? Correct?
I believe he redshirted as a true freshman so if has an injury this year that would keep him from playing (and schools can be somewhat liberal in interpreting what a "season-ending" injury is), then he could take a medical redshirt and have 2 years remaining.

If a call is wrong, it needs to be corrected, regardless of the score, or how much time is left in the game. 2 years from now people on this board will be talking about Slade having fumble issues during his freshmen year simply by checking a box score. NFL scouts might do the same, so it would be a disservice to the kid to just let that stand in order to be politically correct. The officials should be held to established standards!

Reactions: BBrown
I usually believe that's it's on the team getting beaten to "bend the knee" before you show mercy. Did Pitt still have their top guys in? (I really don't know) If so, I have no issue with Clifford slinging toward the end zone. If not, I think that run plays are in order. That being said, players on both sides need to still play at 100%. Injuries occur when you slack off. Having 2nd and 3rd strings go at it hammer and tong in a blowout is not a bad thing for either team.

As for the challenge, I think that was Franklin giving Slade every available benefit of the doubt. I think that should have also resonated for any potential recruits that were present or watching.

Relax. It's not like we threw a TD pass on 4th & 12 while up 35 with 3 minutes left in Syracuse.

Last edited:
I listen to the radio during games and now and then i'll listen to the announcers, i have one question for those who listened to Todd the entire game. Did he ever say Joe Paterno during the broadcast?

Reactions: PSUPride1
Tommy's coming back this week vs Kent State.

Okay. I was responding to the commentary by some that this could be a 4-6 week deal which would, at least, put us at the halfway point of the season.

So, if Tommy's good to go, the discussion would only be hypothetical.

No. I don't think the NCAA would buy off on the theory that he's medically incapable of playing considering he's dressed and wearing pads on the sidelines during games. Would you?

Well, when it comes to the NCAA, I don't know. They've never demonstrated the willingness to be consistent on anything. And, it seems that they back off when an institution pushes back on them.

Okay. I was responding to the commentary by some that this could be a 4-6 week deal which would, at least, put us at the halfway point of the season.

So, if Tommy's good to go, the discussion would only be hypothetical.

Blackledge said it was a 4-6 week injury, however that time frame began in August

Blackledge said it was a 4-6 week injury, however that time frame began in August
Steve Jones and Jack Ham have already broadcast that Stevens should be back for the Kent State game. If he isn't back for Kent State I would be shocked if he wasn't ready for Illinois.

He's not redshirting, he's too important to the team this year, and he is coming back next year. This coaching staff is now at the point where they coach to win now, not next year.

He's not redshirting, he's too important to the team this year, and he is coming back next year.

We don't need Tommy for more than one more year anyway. Clifford is going to be really good too. Maybe too good to keep on the bench.

We don't need Tommy for more than one more year anyway. Clifford is going to be really good too. Maybe too good to keep on the bench.
Maybe, but it's always nice to have the same staring QB for more than a year. Cross that bridge when we come to it, though.

Maybe, but it's always nice to have the same staring QB for more than a year. Cross that bridge when we come to it, though.
If the guy is ready to play in week 4, and the team is better with him, than without him, I'm not sure why you redshirt him for the entire year. All hands on deck and the goal is to win National championships right?

Reactions: nits74
I think I bailed out on Saturday night after the Clifford TD throw so I didn't see the (not a) fumble by Slade. I finished rewatching the 2nd half today and saw the play...and heard Blackledge's commentary.
As far as the play goes, it did look to me like Slade's knee was down just (and I mean just) prior to the ball getting ripped out. It was so instantaneous that I could see the chance of it being overturned was 50-50 at best. Still, Franklin had his challenge and had every right to use it. Regardless of his motives, that was his right and he exercised it.
As far as Blackledge goes...I thought he went a bit far criticizing Franklin. I think too that he would've left it alone but McDonough kinda egged him on a bit about it. And then you could tell that Todd thought it was a dick move and stopped just short of saying just that. I thought to myself, if it was Ohio State playing Michigan at Michigan, similar situation and Urbz challenged it, and Herbie was in the booth, would Herbie call out Urbz in a similar fashion? My guess is no but who's to say? My opinion of Blackledge has gone down a few notches, though. I still like him but he's in my doghouse.

But the best part to me was that Franklin's challenge made O'Neill get just that little bit wetter out there. Priceless.

What if some player targeted another player in the same time frame, you bet the game would be stopped by the replay officials.

What does Herbie say, style points.

As someone said in this thread, Joe backed off Indiana with subs in 94, and look what it got us.

Opinion: if you don’t want score to get run up, stop the third string QB and second team O-Line and defense. Narduzzi talked a big game and got bushwhacked. Deal with it

Reactions: PSUSignore
Franklin can do what he wants. But, I thought he was going to pull Trace up 37-6.
He did almost get his head ripped off on that drive too. Another reason you pull starters. Not just to keep from running up the score. But, to prevent injury. i thought the Clifford bomb was over the top. And, the challenge ridiculous. This did happen to us. At OSU in 2013. Most of us blasted Urbz for challenging a spot in a similiar situation. Self-included. I may have even put a curse on him:) The whole Pitt/Narduzzin program is full of shiat. Since they act like a-holes, it's ok for for us to act like them? No thanks. I'd rather handle it differently. Can you believe it? Guess I'm a Joebot.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
I agree that this board would go off, if this happened to us.
Did happen to us in our 63-14 loss at the Shoe a few years ago. I was at the game, and the Ohio State people thought it was funny when they won the challenge with about a minute left in the game. When I watched The replay, the announcers didn’t have a lot to say about it. So in my opinion, they don’t have a lot to say about it this time either!

Reactions: BBrown
As long as backups are in I have absolutely no issue with teams continuing to execute a normal game plan. That's incredibly valuable practice time and game experience for those kids. Sacrificing that opportunity to be polite is foolish. I will agree that it's asinine and deplorable to leave starters in for the sake of padding stats(like I do when playing the NCAA video game lol) and running up the score, but I haven't really seen that from Franklin.
You do know the only way to win the Heisman is to keep blasting away until your stats are incredible, don’t you? No mercy if you want the accolades or the trophies.

My sense is that Franklin doesn’t see any value in playing Pitt. Pitt fans have been criticizing Penn State for not extending the series. I think Franklin saw an opportunity to shut Pitt up by pounding them into submission. And he took full advantage.

Clifford is in reality the 3rd team QB. I have no problem with him throwing. It is Pitts job to stop him. I did think the fumble challenge was questionable.
That being said....it none of Todd's business. He's there to call the game, not make moral judgements. He had an opportunity to speak out on something 7 years ago............
No problem with Todd at all. Seven years ago or Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT