ADVERTISEMENT

Todd blackledge

Agree, was Cliffford's pass in response to the 2 personal fouls right before that? Trace almost got his head ripped off and Parsons took a 1 on 1 cheap shot to the knees and limped off. Hope they're OK

He did not like the fumble challenge either. I can hear Franklin saying something like we played the game to the end, that was my message to the team, and I wanted to stay within that theme of completive drive.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
why was he so pissed at CJF late?

Almost sounded like a poster over at the lair.
I had to go out for a little bit and missed Clifford's TD pass, so maybe there was more to it but I thought it was over the calling for a review of the fumble with 1:00 left in a 51-6 game. I didn't think it was a great look for CJF, but it didn't bother me much.

I had to go out for a little bit and missed Clifford's TD pass, so maybe there was more to it but I thought it was over the calling for a review of the fumble with 1:00 left in a 51-6 game. I didn't think it was a great look for CJF, but it didn't bother me much.

After Douchnozzle was shooting his mouth off all week I was all for it.
Like the song says. "can't shake the devils hand and say your only kidding".
If Pat wants to "talk" then any response to him is alright by me.

After Douchnozzle was shooting his mouth off all week I was all for it.
Like the song says. "can't shake the devils hand and say your only kidding".
If Pat wants to "talk" then any response to him is alright by me.

Totally agree. And great analogy. If Franklin does this next week vs. Kent St, then I'd say that he should call off the dogs vs. Kent St and it was not necessary.... But this is a pitt program that has bad-mouthed us with negative recruiting since Nardouche arrived, it's a program that takes the time to be childish and make negative comments about us after we lost to Mich St last year, it's a program that makes negative comments about our 19 year old Soph player, it's a program that uses every low-level tactic to make 17 year old HS kids feel social pressure and bad about picking Penn St if he is from the WPIAL....

IMO Franklin did NOT do enough last night at the end of the game.

Clifford is in reality the 3rd team QB. I have no problem with him throwing. It is Pitts job to stop him. I did think the fumble challenge was questionable.
That being said....it none of Todd's business. He's there to call the game, not make moral judgements. He had an opportunity to speak out on something 7 years ago............

He did not like the fumble challenge either. I can hear Franklin saying something like we played the game to the end, that was my message to the team, and I wanted to stay within that theme of completive drive.
Bingo. We know how competitive Franklin is. He's essentially told us that and not to be surprised by it i.e. all the turmoil about icing the Geogia State kicker last year when the game was well won. That he's going to push hard to win at the same standard from beginning to end. There's a cute video from a couple of years ago where he has his oldest daughter (Shola?) working out on the blocking sled! Who does that? A person who loves the game and is hyper competitive. It's just that folks like Todd B. are not listening. Franklin preaches "be who you are", so he's not going to change for other folks. Not to be cynical, but I also wonder if there is the aspect of being African-American in a tough ugly business of minimal loyalty and where some people will really turn on you when things are not going well for reasons other than coaching? Given that a man of heart will set his own standard and will stay true to it. And regardless of whether on likes likes him or not he does appear to be a man of heart and fight.

Bingo. We know how competitive Franklin is. He's essentially told us that and not to be surprised by it i.e. all the turmoil about icing the Geogia State kicker last year when the game was well won. That he's going to push hard to win at the same standard from beginning to end. There's a cute video from a couple of years ago where he has his oldest daughter (Shola?) working out on the blocking sled! Who does that? A person who loves the game and is hyper competitive. It's just that folks like Todd B. are not listening. Franklin preaches "be who you are", so he's not going to change for other folks. Not to be cynical, but I also wonder if there is the aspect of being African-American in a tough ugly business of minimal loyalty and where some people will really turn on you when things are not going well for reasons other than coaching? Given that a man of heart will set his own standard and will stay true to it. And regardless of whether on likes likes him or not he does appear to be a man of heart and fight.

Agreed- Franklin is consistent that he is going to play football to the last second. If ANY team needs that lesson, it’s his players. He is imparting a good life lesson to these kids.. Work hard to the END of any endeavor: it doesn’t change it it’s cold, rainy, hot, or if the challenge is too hard or too soft, you keep driving at your best personal standards, irrespectively.

Did I hear him correctly mention that Tommy Stevens injury is a 4-6 week type of injury? I hadn’t heard any details about it, and with how tight lipped we usually are with injuries, I wonder if he let the cat out of the bag with some inside information. Did anyone else hear that during the telecast?

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
I agree that this board would go off, if this happened to us.
I agree as well, but it's not about "us" on this board. I don't think Franklin cares about our perspective, and his ultimate action was for his team. Regardless of how honorable and focused he was in turning this program around folks called him a "used car salesman". Even knowing he only had 65 or 75 scholarships, rival coaches showed his teams no mercy. They were hoping that PSU would fail so they could could gain ascendancy on our backs. He's told us who was, so why don't we believe him? Ah, he's not Joe whom most of us loved. However, he's set his own high standard milieu for his team. And something tells me he comfortably carries the weight of this standard and expectation - for good or for ill.

I agree as well, but it's not about "us" on this board. I don't think Franklin cares about our perspective, and his ultimate action was for his team. Regardless of how honorable and focused he was in turning this program around folks called him a "used car salesman". Even knowing he only had 65 or 75 scholarships, rival coaches showed his teams no mercy. They were hoping that PSU would fail so they could could gain ascendancy on our backs. He's told us who was, so why don't we believe him? Ah, he's not Joe whom most of us loved. However, he's set his own high standard milieu for his team. And something tells me he comfortably carries the weight of this standard and expectation - for good or for ill.
He's the coach. I'm a fan. Its not like any 2 people will agree 100 percent of the time. I will always be a Joebot. I also feel fortunate to have James Franklin as our coach. I never had any sort of illusion that CJF needed my approval to make a decision. Just not how I would have handled it.

Tommy gun won’t play next week either because it will be another wet track and maybe worse with the hurricane hitting the Carolinas on Thursday/ Friday.

I thought Todd B did a great job with commentary. When he played for Joe he got better each year. He is getting better as a commentator all the time. In a few years I look for him to be a top level commentator.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
It was over the challenge, but for me simply the fact he was sticking up for the freshman RB who had 2 or 3 carries with 2 fumbles on the night it was a n important move to try and help Ricky Slades Confidence because we will need him to help at sometime this season to be successful.

I used to be against running up the score, but after the shit we have had to endure from all directions since 2011, I'm all for the take no prisoners approach of James Franklin. Pour it on whenever possible. I just don't care about image as much these days. We're coming for you.

I realize Narduzzi may have deserved having the score run up on him, but the players on Pitt's team do not. As a coach, I have had that opportunity to do that to many coaches who deserved it, but never did.

Agree. Its unfortunate for the players that they have a child as a coach.
It is interesting though. When I was back home (Western PA) this summer I had a couple of "Pitt" people tell me that they are not happy with Narduzzi and the way he acts. Said its already known in the WPIAL, its why their recruiting is sucking so bad. They also went on to say that they hear "rumors" that the players weren't all that thrilled with the staff. That could explain the pitt team quitting in the 3rd quarter.
Just something I had in the back of my head after talking to them.

Reactions: step.eng69
I realize Narduzzi may have deserved having the score run up on him, but the players on Pitt's team do not. As a coach, I have had that opportunity to do that to many coaches who deserved it, but never did.
So his players had nothing to to with not releasing the facemask and apparently trying to rip our guys heads off? The McSorley one he held on all the way to the ground.

Yeah....pour it on. I was all for it.

Did I hear him correctly mention that Tommy Stevens injury is a 4-6 week type of injury? I hadn’t heard any details about it, and with how tight lipped we usually are with injuries, I wonder if he let the cat out of the bag with some inside information. Did anyone else hear that during the telecast?

Yes, I was taken aback as well.

Oh stop being so cynical. As you allude, it's a dog-eat-dog business. It will chew you up and spit you out whether you're dark meat or white meat. It does not discriminate in that regard. The last thing you want to do is be obsequious for then you're doing nobody any favors, especially Franklin. So let Franklin be Franklin. If it upsets some people along the way to our winning a national championship then so be it. Cripe, I had a Michigan fan call Franklin arrogant. Go figure. :rolleyes:

My only regret from last night was that Slade fumbled late and we didn’t get a chance to hang 60 on them.

Maybe we should send the Pitt Players a Participation Medal.

Geeze, this is prime time college football. This is a good lesson for the Pitt Players also. Adversity will make them stronger.

Look what being embarrassed by Michigan in 2016 and by Michigan State in 2015 did to our players and program. Life isn't all rainbows and cupcakes.

Tommy gun won’t play next week either because it will be another wet track and maybe worse with the hurricane hitting the Carolinas on Thursday/ Friday.

If PSU does not play Tommy at all this year and claims he has been injured, could Tommy get another red-shirt, and, therefore, have two seasons of eligibility?

It’s interesting that some of the yahoos who can’t stop talking about Pitt fans are the ones who have a problem running up the score against Pitt.

Oh, but the poor players didn’t deserve it!

Give me a break. Narduzzi spent the week trashing our guys and the only bad thing from last night was not scoring 60.

I enjoyed the telecast last night. Especially sean McDonough’s trolling of the inept Pitt passing game down the stretch. I got a good chuckle out of some of his commentary.

Pitt barely attempted a pass down field after Pickett threw the int. on the Penn State one yard line. I think the coaches knew Penn State’s secondary would have had another pick or two had they tried.

why was he so pissed at CJF late?

Almost sounded like a poster over at the lair.

Todd was being a pitt homer. He needs to never do a Penn State game again. He played for a scum in Paterno and learned only how to win small time games from the Italian bread pusher. Let todd go coach high school basketball.

James Franklin is where it is at.

Bye Felicia .... I mean Todd. You and Millen both suck and are traitors to the Blue and White. Never come back you are not wanted or needed here!

no not this...

I have no problem running up the score but not playing 100% through the last minute of the game when you can go into a victory formation and end the game. Players will get hurt and players will fumble, bottomline it is not a good look. NO other coach does this, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT