ADVERTISEMENT

This is among the reasons why my love for all things PSU is waning

There are some who post here, in various guises, who bring this image to mind.
whack-a-mole-o.gif

BTW, I also have a Master's Degree from a top-5 ranked Private School within my professional discipline in addition to my PSU Undergraduate Degree, but I don't run around name-dropping it in some lame, pathetic attempt to define or validate myself AND arrogantly claim it as some pretext to pompously lecture others as to the pride they are permitted to take in their Alma Master's Sports Teams accomplishments on the field while maintaing some of the highest standards & accomplishments in the classroom (i.e., the manner in which these sports programs - both athletes & coaches - represent The University).

Some of most corrupt, pieces-of-garbage, ethicless, immoral, lying, self-serving, narcissistic, self-dealing, indecent lawyers-turned-politicians and abusive, tyrannizing "public servants" to ever grace "public life" received their undergraduate and/or jurisprudence degree from Harvad and Yale. True ethically-challenged lowlifes and immoral, self-dealing miscreants, you should be so proud!

So NYU grants advanced degrees in bullshit? Guess that shouldn't come as a surprise. You must be it's star pupil.

You are the one who attacked the culture created by Joe Pa... basically called is all phonies for believing that Penn State's grade experiment is a fraud.

I am a 2007 alum of the Eberly College of Science.

You just are the type of cynic with who I have nothing in-common.

In all fairness "The Grade Experiment" = UNC ;)

BTW, I also have a Master's Degree from a top-5 ranked Private School within my professional discipline in addition to my PSU Undergraduate Degree, but I don't run around name-dropping it in some lame, pathetic attempt to define or validate myself AND arrogantly claim it as some pretext to pompously lecture others as to the pride they are permitted to take in their Alma Master's Sports Teams accomplishments on the field while maintaing some of the highest standards & accomplishments in the classroom (i.e., the manner in which these sports programs - both athletes & coaches - represent The University).

Some of most corrupt, pieces-of-garbage, ethicless, immoral, lying, self-serving, narcissistic, self-dealing, indecent lawyers-turned-politicians and abusive, tyrannizing "public servants" to ever grace "public life" received their undergraduate and/or jurisprudence degree from Harvad and Yale. True ethically-challenged lowlifes and immoral, self-dealing miscreants, you should be so proud!

Apparently there are Masters Degree in run-on sentences**

I understand the concept of demand v. supply, but I really hope this entrepeneur - who has stones to list his Overnight RV passes for $3k each - finds himself with with an acute urinary tract infection...

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/tix/d/overnight-rv-for-pitt-and-mich/6268872818.html

Thankfully with my kids' HS football schedules neither of those contests were options for me... though with patience and persistence, I was able to find a Blue (preferred) RV parking for Rutgers for $150... but there are more than a couple Nittwits listing theirs for $4/$500 ...

Makes me not regret (so much) my son's recent decision to stiff-arm the prospect/reality of out-of-state PSU tuition and attend college elsewhere...

Can't deny the odor of "country club" at PSU was always there... but, to me, the stench is turning me off to what should otherwise be a great way to spend a fall afternoon with family and friends... this is the "culture problem" that has been turning me, an alumnus, off to things Penn State...

What a shame! On the other hand both of my kids, one a recent alum, and the other a sophomore absolutely LOVE PSU. Guess you can't please everyone.

Fairgambit, everyone has a different experience on what makes their unviersity special. It should have been the time you spent there that made your experience special because other than that, yes, 8 out of 10 things about a University are pretty much status quo.

Reactions: mn78psu83
for those of you who do not like the taste of cyanide, I will happily provide you with a solid tailgate experience within 20 rows of the stadium... for any and all games (save Game 1 - too hot for me) ... I have been battered and bruised the last 6 years too... but not by anyone having anything to do with the football program (on the contrary - I will remember the last 6 with a great deal of positive emotion). Send me a message... i will send you a parking spot number. Average food, cold beer. $3000 optional.

Well, this thread is fun. Let's all go drink cyanide and jump off the bridge to really get this party started.

They need to reconsider renaming this board. There's a UMD thread on 247 called "I Hate PSU So Much". Some of you might fit right in?

Yes, precisely my point - mostly from supposed die-hard fans who didn't go there, have no real association with PSU, but are determined to help us understand the many deficiencies PSU, PSU's Football Program, former PSU Coaches and PSU's Athletic Program in general have - go figure! Interesting....

What a shame! On the other hand both of my kids, one a recent alum, and the other a sophomore absolutely LOVE PSU. Guess you can't please everyone.

Fairgambit, everyone has a different experience on what makes their unviersity special. It should have been the time you spent there that made your experience special because other than that, yes, 8 out of 10 things about a University are pretty much status quo.
I have said on a number of occasions that I will always have my friends, my memories, and my degree, but the Penn State I knew no longer exists. I respect the opinions of those who say it is a better place. I just don't share them. I have given my reasons many times so I won't belabor them here. I have been happily married for 45 years, but I have friends who have gone through bitter divorces in what were once happy marriages. What changed? As this relates to me and Penn State, one might argue it is I who have changed, but those who know me best, my wife and college friends, say otherwise. Regardless, I cannot change how I feel. I have tried. I have not set foot on campus in 3 years and I have no desire to go back. Perhaps that too will change, but the present leadership, from the President and BOT, down to the Alumni Association, make the odds of that happening very long indeed.

If you're not aware that PSU Isn't a state school then you need to do some research into the difference between the "PA State System of Higher Education Schools (PASSHE)" and the "PA Commonwealth System of Higher Education aka PA State Related Universities".

There are 4 PA State Related Universities - Pitt, Penn State, Temple and Lincoln University.

There are 14 PASSHE schools -
Others have started arguing the differences between the states - but I just wanted to share the different kinds of "state" schools in PA and that you should educate yourself in how they are funded before drawing parallels between the SUNY schools and a state related school like Penn State.

What's your point? I don't care what funding mechanism each state uses. The bottom line is that PSU is very expensive. It's the most expensive for in state residents of any B1G school except for NW. It's also higher than average for out of state residents. To make matters worse PSU is accepting more out of state and international students and fewer Pa. kids.

That was the original point, that PSU has become incredibly expensive. I still love PSU and I remain a diehard fan of all PSU sports. That doesn't mean it isn't expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: massimoManca II
I have said on a number of occasions that I will always have my friends, my memories, and my degree, but the Penn State I knew no longer exists. I respect the opinions of those who say it is a better place. I just don't share them. I have given my reasons many times so I won't belabor them here. I have been happily married for 45 years, but I have friends who have gone through bitter divorces in what were once happy marriages. What changed? As this relates to me and Penn State, one might argue it is I who have changed, but those who know me best, my wife and college friends, say otherwise. Regardless, I cannot change how I feel. I have tried. I have not set foot on campus in 3 years and I have no desire to go back. Perhaps that too will change, but the present leadership, from the President and BOT, down to the Alumni Association, make the odds of that happening very long indeed.

The parties that have done the most damage to PSU are corrupt lawyers-turned-politicians or "public servants" such as Judges who immorally and unethically abused their publicly-granted powers in doing so (including absurdly slandering PSU, PSU's Football Program and JVP from the bench such as corrupt piles of dung like "Judge Fuedale or Boccabella), but you've got no problem with them - go figure.

Many of us have come to the conclusion that Penn State really is not what we thought it was. We just have taken different roads to get to the same point. That does not make the ultimate value judgment any less valid.

Or it has changed over the many years some of us have been associated through matriculation and then football. All school change as society changes and things are not the same as they were. Sad but a fact, you can't go back to relive it all.

Move to New York then. Everything in NY is perfect!
NY sucks. Free tuition doesn't make sense IMO. It's not free, it's just getting other people to pay for it. People intentionally keep their incomes low enough to qualify which is absurd. But if you can take advantage why not?

I think schools like PSU should work harder to control costs. I'm looking for affordable education, not free education.

Your comparison is incorrect. Cornell is the "Land Grant University" in New York and the tuition isn't free jasper. Cornell was split at the time of its naming as the NY State Land Grant Public University - its colleges which were funded under the "Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862" (Engineering, Agriculture and Teaching) became a Pulbic University, while other Colleges were maintained as Private Colleges, which remains true to this day (i.e., Cornell has both Private and Pulblic Colleges within its overal "Institutional Structure" which predates the Morrill Act). See the following LINK directly at Cornell's website, which clearly states that Cornell is a member of the "Association of Public and Land Grant Universities". PSU as an institution pre-dated the "Morrill Land Grant Act" as well, but when PSU was "reorganized" as PSU and named as the sole-recipient of the Federal Land Grant Act proceeds, PSU was structured as a "singular" PUBLIC INSTITUTION via Legislation by the PA Government that not only formed the new University, created it's seminal "Founding Charter" (and bylaws), but also DEEDED the University to Citizens of Pennsylvania in perpetuity (i.e., PSU is a part of the "Public Trust" just as a State Park is....).

The Land Grant Universities (Colleges in the case of Cornell) are "Public Institutions" in that they are deeded to the "Public" in perpetuity via their founding legislation. The nomenclature that Pennsylvania uses in regards to it's "State University System" (i.e., schools run directly by the PA Department of Education rather than Public Schools that are "self-governed" by charter) is just that "nomenclature". Yes, the PA "State University System" are "Public Schools", but so is the "Pennsylvania State University" and all of its "branch campus system" a Public School as well.
Thanks Bushy! ;)

Reactions: mn78psu83
This is why I invested in a 12 x 20 walled canopy, which goes up in my backyard at the beginning of the season and comes down after the final game. Big screen TV, sound system, beer, friends and family. And I don't travel more than 50 feet. Love the games live, but too much expense for this buckeroo.

I like that idea. So much so, I might steal it.

Thanks for the history lesson but the last time I looked PSU wasn't a private Ivy League University.

I think PSU is a great school but it is one of the most expensive in the B1G.

Oh well you seem in desperate need of a clue and some actual FACTS - here is a LINK that might help you with your severe ignorance. And it is one of only 4 Public New York State Colleges there.

Manc, to be fair there is nothing remotely exciting at any of those campuses that you mentioned that would warrant such an obscene markup in prices.

If you have the fever for PS football then you are in the pricing war for a lot of needs: [parking, tickets, lodging, meals]. It just sounds like your fever for the product has waned. Understandable.

I do wonder if PS will feel any impact of free tuition in NYS. I understand that your son found a option for college better for him than PS, but, I live in town here and there are a tremendous amount of out of state plates [NY and NJ especially] for move in weekend. The education here really is still in big demand, even for out of state students....
as the win total goes up and the rankings go up.......guess what so does my price i'm charging for my seat. i love capitalism.

Please, Binghamton, UB, Albany, Geneseo aren't exactly Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, LHU... Brockport? Oswego? cortland? Yeah
Exactly right. Ridiculous comparison. Many of the students going to these SUNY universities have been accepted at schools like RIT, Cornell, Penn State, Boston College, NYU but have made the decision to get a fine degree, in their respective major, at a fraction of the cost.

Your posts on this are unbelievable. Maybe it never was what you thought it was in the first place? Just cuz you realized way late in life that other schools have great opportunities too, that you were an ignorant fool and your arrogance misplaced, suddenly means the place has changed? You opened your eyes and realized you were wrong, and now you're compounding that wrong by blaming everyone but the man in the mirror. Shit happens, grow up, the place is still amazing and means a ton to a lot of us.

No, actually someone pays for it
Yes, and it's not only the taxpayers. Many don't know that the student is required to live and work in NY for the number of years equal to the time they received the tuition.

I don't support the free tuition, but at least they put this stipulation in to hopefully rope in some of fleeing residents. In actuality the $6400 yearly tuition still leaves a considerable chunk our of the $22k total cost. It still leaves a heavy burden on many families.

My love of PSU is waning because I've found Pitt.

Tickets are cheap, expectations are low. As a Pitt fan posting online, I can post whatever nonsense I want and pretend to believe it. The best part is, no one expects me to use proper grammar and punctuation.

That is awesome. Be true to yourself.

My love of PSU is waning because I've found Pitt.

Tickets are cheap, expectations are low. As a Pitt fan posting online, I can post whatever nonsense I want and pretend to believe it. The best part is, no one expects me to use proper grammar and punctuation.

And you're always considered a "Super Fan" entitled to the greatest perks like free tickets with your hamburger purchase as well as other fabulous perks at your Rent-a-Stadium because there's only a handful of you.

Your posts on this are unbelievable. Maybe it never was what you thought it was in the first place? Just cuz you realized way late in life that other schools have great opportunities too, that you were an ignorant fool and your arrogance misplaced, suddenly means the place has changed? You opened your eyes and realized you were wrong, and now you're compounding that wrong by blaming everyone but the man in the mirror. Shit happens, grow up, the place is still amazing and means a ton to a lot of us.

Yes, the place is still amazing in many ways; it still means a ton to me; but..... it has changed since the great fan-hitting of 2011. Some of it is a natural evolution of change, which is often good change. But there has been a significant amount of unnatural and unnecessary change in the guise of turmoil as well. There is a decided less-alumni / friends of PSU 'feel' coming from too many decisions and addy-toods from the BOT Chair and Pres and those who control the power in those areas.
Fair has made his decision to stay away, MMII has opted for other activities and limited PSU activites.... I respect all that. They were not and are not ignorant and arrogant, nor wrong, imo. They are the kinds of people (both alums and friends of PSU) who helped make PSU what is was and what parts of it still are to me and hundreds of thousands of alumni. I am still entrenched and cannot break away as 'easily' (and I doubt they made their choices on a whim), but I admit the thought has crossed my mind.
I've certainly recognized the changes and how it feels differently than it did for decades for me and countless others. I've made donation decisions that reflect how those changes have impacted me and my addy-tood.
We each handle these changes personally and roll with the punches in our own way. You and I are not wrong to stay rather firmly entrenched. Fair and MMII are not wrong for the decisions they made. The things that happened to PSU as a whole and to very good people who have been wrongfully scapegoated, all of whom gave their all for PSU with never a bad intention, have impacted me deeply. I'm heartbroken in that sense. Yet, somehow I cannot fall out of my life-long love with PSU and Happy Valley.

Can't explain it, don't understand it, ain't never felt like this before.

Just my nickle's worth of nuttin'.

Is this just a gradual erosion of your love for Penn State, beginning with the change from neutral gray face masks to blue?

Reactions: Bob78
Is this just a gradual erosion of your love for Penn State, beginning with the change from neutral gray face masks to blue?

Aside from that other drivel I wrote a few minutes ago, in this specific face mask regard, MMII is as wrong as can be, as we all know. :rolleyes:

Wait'll he gets a load of the chrome face masks that surely are a-comin'. :eek:

Reactions: Ranger Dan
And you're always considered a "Super Fan" entitled to the greatest perks like free tickets with your hamburger purchase as well as other fabulous perks at your Rent-a-Stadium because there's only a handful of you.

I truly feel elite, now that I am a Pitt fan. For the first time in a long time, I am smarter and better looking than all of my peers.

I understand the concept of demand v. supply, but I really hope this entrepeneur - who has stones to list his Overnight RV passes for $3k each - finds himself with with an acute urinary tract infection...

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/tix/d/overnight-rv-for-pitt-and-mich/6268872818.html

Thankfully with my kids' HS football schedules neither of those contests were options for me... though with patience and persistence, I was able to find a Blue (preferred) RV parking for Rutgers for $150... but there are more than a couple Nittwits listing theirs for $4/$500 ...

Makes me not regret (so much) my son's recent decision to stiff-arm the prospect/reality of out-of-state PSU tuition and attend college elsewhere...

Can't deny the odor of "country club" at PSU was always there... but, to me, the stench is turning me off to what should otherwise be a great way to spend a fall afternoon with family and friends... this is the "culture problem" that has been turning me, an alumnus, off to things Penn State...

I don't see a problem with it. The guy is seeking price discovery. It's the capitalist way. Look, you post an item on EBay to sell. Do you seek the best price possible or not? Let's not be hypocritical here. If he thinks there's someone willing to pay then he's well within his rights.

If you think the overall game experience is price-gouging then the solution is simple. Stay home. Watch the game on TV. That said, I like your car reviews. Keep 'em coming.

I thank you and have a blessed eclipse day.

Yes, the place is still amazing in many ways; it still means a ton to me; but..... it has changed since the great fan-hitting of 2011. Some of it is a natural evolution of change, which is often good change. But there has been a significant amount of unnatural and unnecessary change in the guise of turmoil as well. There is a decided less-alumni / friends of PSU 'feel' coming from too many decisions and addy-toods from the BOT Chair and Pres and those who control the power in those areas.
Fair has made his decision to stay away, MMII has opted for other activities and limited PSU activites.... I respect all that. They were not and are not ignorant and arrogant, nor wrong, imo. They are the kinds of people (both alums and friends of PSU) who helped make PSU what is was and what parts of it still are to me and hundreds of thousands of alumni. I am still entrenched and cannot break away as 'easily' (and I doubt they made their choices on a whim), but I admit the thought has crossed my mind.
I've certainly recognized the changes and how it feels differently than it did for decades for me and countless others. I've made donation decisions that reflect how those changes have impacted me and my addy-tood.
We each handle these changes personally and roll with the punches in our own way. You and I are not wrong to stay rather firmly entrenched. Fair and MMII are not wrong for the decisions they made. The things that happened to PSU as a whole and to very good people who have been wrongfully scapegoated, all of whom gave their all for PSU with never a bad intention, have impacted me deeply. I'm heartbroken in that sense. Yet, somehow I cannot fall out of my life-long love with PSU and Happy Valley.

Can't explain it, don't understand it, ain't never felt like this before.

Just my nickle's worth of nuttin'.

Again, the people who have done the MOST DAMAGE - by far - are lying, public-power-abusing, immoral, SCUMBAG lawyers-turned-politicians especially in the form of AGs, Governors, OAG Prosecutors, Judges, etc... Corrupt, immoral, hypocritical, self-dealing, exclusively self-interested TYRANTS and purveyors of "wrong" and "evil injustices" against hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of innocents - the entire PSU Community. If that isn't "evil", "moral hazard", "bad culture" writ large, I don't know what the freak is! But "Fair" has no problem with this immoral, belly-crawling, incestuous SCUMBAG cesspool that have done so much damage to our society because they're "Lawyers" (and probably because they're senior ranking members of his favorite corrupt political cabal) don't you know.....and that somehow makes them good, honest, decent people when nothing could be further from the f'ing truth!

PSU is still awesome and the energy about the school is high. The only place I hear complaints about it are right cheer. My daughter has been working at Target
the past 3 months to make some money for school. She started up conversations with the PSU apparel wearing folk.Every single person was nice and very positive about PSU. Almost all said it was the best years of their lives
All of our visits to UP, to see the campus and Engineering and Schreyers program have exceeded expectations from the attitude and behavior of the student body. Available, affable, and approachable all around.
Yes, it is not perfect. Yes, it is not for everyone. But it still proves to be a great place to obtain your college degree. We are... still Penn State
Good bye to you all, if I get banned for this controversial post. :eek:

Reactions: bison13 and Bob78

Penn State most certainly has changed from what it was 30 to 40 years ago. Graham Spanier was no Bryce Jordan, and Eric Barron is no Graham Spanier. Higher education has changed throughout the entire country, and Penn State is no outlier in this regard.

In addition, Penn State has made a decision that if you are an alum and over 50 years old, the university will not cater to you. In the past, universities would cater to the older alumni in order to solicit their financial support. Now, the university's attitude is that if the older alums don't like it, the university will get along fine without them. The university may be right or wrong about their approach to older alums, but that is the reality of the situation.

Reactions: Bob78
Penn State most certainly has changed from what it was 30 to 40 years ago. Graham Spanier was no Bryce Jordan, and Eric Barron is no Graham Spanier. Higher education has changed throughout the entire country, and Penn State is no outlier in this regard.

In addition, Penn State has made a decision that if you are an alum and over 50 years old, the university will not cater to you. In the past, universities would cater to the older alumni in order to solicit their financial support. Now, the university's attitude is that if the older alums don't like it, the university will get along fine without them. The university may be right or wrong about their approach to older alums, but that is the reality of the situation

If that's true then someone is an idiot (which would not be a surprise). Why cater to older alumni? Just ask Willie Sutton.

You are clearly faster too.

But since you are a Pitt fan, 48-14.

I am definitely faster. As a pitt fan, 48-14 hurts. So I will say in return that.... we had a slightly better basketball team than PSU for a couple years recently. Hail to Pitt!

I don't see a problem with it. The guy is seeking price discovery. It's the capitalist way. Look, you post an item on EBay to sell. Do you seek the best price possible or not? Let's not be hypocritical here. If he thinks there's someone willing to pay then he's well within his rights.

If you think the overall game experience is price-gouging then the solution is simple. Stay home. Watch the game on TV. That said, I like your car reviews. Keep 'em coming.

I thank you and have a blessed eclipse day.

On multiple occasions when I had PSU tickets to unload - I was more interested in allowing another PSU family to get a good deal... simply too nervous about having to eat the tickets should they go unused... i wasn't drooling to maximize my ROI, It was more-important that folks, even those I just met in the parking lots , be able to enjoy the game

That being said - i'm the same guy who scrolls through Craigslist use car posts (even though I'm not in-the-market-to-buy) and gets visibly upset, okay... maybe just a face-palm, when I see some jackwadd posting his 2011 Chevy Traverse with 90k mi. for $17,499... some people simply believe that gold doubloons drop into the bowl when the sit on the pot...

I moved away from PA. years ago. I wold get back to an occasional football game and always thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Penn State for the most part is a memory for me, a great memory and I truly treasure the time I spent there. Last month I was in Pittsburgh for a family gathering. I also took the time to visit an uncle in hospice in Ligonier and decided from there to visit the Flight 93 Memorial. While there I realized it was a relatively easy drive to State College. Now, I had been "warned" about how much the place had changed and I poo-pooed that. I checked into the Atherton, ate dinner at the Tavern, breakfast at the corner room, lunch at HiWay Pizza. And the Campus? Nothing changed. I merely visited my little corner of campus west of Old Main where the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences is located. My visit was calculated, and it rekindled my memory and that wonderful memory lives on. That's my Penn State.

Edit: No sign of Nuesheisel while there:D

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT