ADVERTISEMENT

There is no doubt in my mind that Saquon Barkley goes number 1. He's the only lock.

If it was any team but the Browns that had #1 and #4, he would go #1. But the Browns, with their almost unique scouting record, probably are so sure they have the next Tom Brady identified as their #1 QB choice (even though top QB picks only pan out about half the time) that they will take a QB #1 and then end up with a defensive player at #4....

Reactions: Rollin Stone
I wish. He may fall to 4or6. I hope the Giants go for him....but if they pass?

SB is the most accomplished player in the draft. What we are about to learn is how modern NFL teams value the running back position.

Reactions: 81b&w
He's the top talent in the draft, but he's not going number 1 unless another team is giving the Browns a king's ransom for the pick.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
While Barkley is a fantastic prospect, IMO anyone thinking he'll go #1 overall is not correctly valuing the position of RB and QB. QB is just soooo important in the NFL that I can't imagine a year like this one with 4-5 highly touted QBs and a RB going before all of them.

And even at #2, the Giants have a QB on the way out and a top WR that is unpredictable and flaky and at best will still be in NY after 2018 but at a crazy high salary. And that would be with other teams wanting to be at #2 to get the QB they want, which means the Giants would be in a position to trade the #2 pick to get more picks and still get Barkley lower down if they wanted.

Highly touted QBs are hit and miss but when they hit they tend to be good for 15 years. Luck may end up being the exception but then again the Colts are exception in being badly run and couldn't provide an OL to protect Luck even in his early years when Luck was making relatively little and thus the Colts had more cap money to spend on things like the OL.

OTOH, even when RBs hit they're good for 10 years at the absolute max, often more like 6-8 before they start to fade, and due to the threat of injury even when they turn out to be good their careers sometimes end suddenly and prematurely.

Although I like that the NFL has a rookie pay structure now that prevents rookies that haven't done anything from getting giant contracts, in effect it punishes players at positions like RB that have shorter careers because they spend a larger proportion of their career in the pre-big money stages.

If Barkley gets drafted by a crappy team and does fantastic he'll still be basically turning a 4-5 win team into a 7-8 win team during some of his prime years. For exposures sake it would be nice if a team that is prepared to win now but is currently short at RB could get him. Then maybe he could parlay some of that exposure and winning into endorsement dough, as well as maybe picking up a SB ring.

It would be nice if the Steelers could some swap Bell for some draft picks and then trade some picks to trade up and get Barkley but I'm not holding my breath.

ETA: Then again this article points out what a huge different Elliott and Fournette made to the Cowboys and Jags the last couple years so maybe a crappy team drafting Barkley would turn out well.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/10/17139078/saquon-barkley-nfl-draft-2018-penn-state

Last edited:
Look at the nfl today... how many super bowls are won by teams led by a stud running back? The patriot make due with role players. The Eagles certainly don’t have a superstar running back.

Bills will trade with Giants at #2 for Rosen. Saquon goes #4 to Browns.
I heard on talk radio that the Browns haven't reached out to interview him yet. If it were any team but the Browns, that would indicate they aren't interested. But it is the Browns, so who knows. I do know he was in NY last week to interview with the Giants, for what it's worth.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/04/saquon_barkley_to_giants_how_browns_actions_might.html

1. NEW YORK GIANTS
Saquon Barkley to Giants? How Browns' actions might impact No. 2 NFL Draft pick
Updated Apr 12;Posted Apr 12
Penn State Nittany Lions running back Saquon Barkley goes through workout drills during the 2018 NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. (Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

36shares
By Matt Lombardo

mlombardo@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

During a time of year notorious for smokescreens leading up to the NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns are either sending one up to the rest of the league or playing their hand close to the vest when it comes to the No. 1 overall pick.

According to a report from Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns have not scheduled a pre-draft visit with Penn State star running back Saquon Barkley, and did not even meet with him during the 2018 NFL Combine:

If the Browns are in love with Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick, they have a funny way of showing it.

They didn't bring in any of the three for top 30 draft visits, and have no plans to do so as of now, sources tell cleveland.com. Visits must be completed by next Wednesday, and it's late to ask a player to come in now.

Furthermore, they didn't conduct private workouts with any of the three, and they didn't even interview Barkley at the NFL Combine as one of their 60 allotted 15-minute interviews, a source told cleveland.com.

ADVERTISING
Monday Morning Quarterback's Albert Breer believes that the reason the Browns have not invited Chubb or Barkley for a visit is because, is because there are no character or medical concerns with the two top prospects.

Barkley visited the Giants over the weekend, after general manager Dave Gettleman sung his praises during the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, last month.

"In 10 years, no," Gettleman said, when asked if he's ever seen a running back with Barkley's skill-set. "He can string together moves and get in and out of stuff ... He's unique. There's no doubt about it. He's big. He's powerful. He can step on the gas at different levels of speed. And, he catches the heck out of the ball, and he sees the blitz pickup. He's unique."

If the Browns indeed are all-in on USC quarterback Sam Darnold, it could clear the way for Gettleman and the Giants to take Barkley with the No. 2 overall pick.

"Their top three choices are Darnold, Saquon Barkley, and Bradley Chubb," a rival NFL executive recently told NJ Advance Media. "They are debating Barkley vs. Chubb, because they need an edge rusher but the scouts love Barkley."

Inside Barkley's impressive Combine

Barkley has the potential to be an elite three-down running back immediately after finishing his collegiate career with 671 carries for 3,843 yards and 43 touchdowns while averaging 5.7 yards per attempt and adding 102 receptions for 1,195 yards and eight touchdowns.

If the Giants take Barkley, he has the potential to round out the offensive skill positions alongside wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard, as well as tight end Evan Engram to give the Giants a chance at potentially competing for a playoff spot in 2018, as well as create an ideal situation for a young quarterback to replace Eli Manning sometime in the near future.

Last edited:
I heard on talk radio that the Browns haven't reached out to interview him yet. If it were any team but the Browns, that would indicate they aren't interested. But it is the Browns, so who knows. I do know he was in NY last week to interview with the Giants, for what it's worth.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/04/saquon_barkley_to_giants_how_browns_actions_might.html

1. NEW YORK GIANTS
Saquon Barkley to Giants? How Browns' actions might impact No. 2 NFL Draft pick
Updated Apr 12;Posted Apr 12
Penn State Nittany Lions running back Saquon Barkley goes through workout drills during the 2018 NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. (Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

36shares
By Matt Lombardo

mlombardo@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

During a time of year notorious for smokescreens leading up to the NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns are either sending one up to the rest of the league or playing their hand close to the vest when it comes to the No. 1 overall pick.

According to a report from Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns have not scheduled a pre-draft visit with Penn State star running back Saquon Barkley, and did not even meet with him during the 2018 NFL Combine:

If the Browns are in love with Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick, they have a funny way of showing it.

They didn't bring in any of the three for top 30 draft visits, and have no plans to do so as of now, sources tell cleveland.com. Visits must be completed by next Wednesday, and it's late to ask a player to come in now.

Furthermore, they didn't conduct private workouts with any of the three, and they didn't even interview Barkley at the NFL Combine as one of their 60 allotted 15-minute interviews, a source told cleveland.com.

ADVERTISING
Monday Morning Quarterback's Albert Breer believes that the reason the Browns have not invited Chubb or Barkley for a visit is because, is because there are no character or medical concerns with the two top prospects.

Barkley visited the Giants over the weekend, after general manager Dave Gettleman sung his praises during the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, last month.

"In 10 years, no," Gettleman said, when asked if he's ever seen a running back with Barkley's skill-set. "He can string together moves and get in and out of stuff ... He's unique. There's no doubt about it. He's big. He's powerful. He can step on the gas at different levels of speed. And, he catches the heck out of the ball, and he sees the blitz pickup. He's unique."

If the Browns indeed are all-in on USC quarterback Sam Darnold, it could clear the way for Gettleman and the Giants to take Barkley with the No. 2 overall pick.

"Their top three choices are Darnold, Saquon Barkley, and Bradley Chubb," a rival NFL executive recently told NJ Advance Media. "They are debating Barkley vs. Chubb, because they need an edge rusher but the scouts love Barkley."

Inside Barkley's impressive Combine

Barkley has the potential to be an elite three-down running back immediately after finishing his collegiate career with 671 carries for 3,843 yards and 43 touchdowns while averaging 5.7 yards per attempt and adding 102 receptions for 1,195 yards and eight touchdowns.

If the Giants take Barkley, he has the potential to round out the offensive skill positions alongside wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard, as well as tight end Evan Engram to give the Giants a chance at potentially competing for a playoff spot in 2018, as well as create an ideal situation for a young quarterback to replace Eli Manning sometime in the near future.
Teams don’t need to interview guys they don’t have any questions about. They are more likely to visit with high need guys, like a QB, or guys with some possible character issues. Barkley does not fit those categories.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Teams don’t need to interview guys they don’t have any questions about. They are more likely to visit with high need guys, like a QB, or guys with some possible character issues. Barkley does not fit those categories.
I agree, but it's hard to believe they didn't even speak with him at the combine though. I also read somewhere that their GM Dorsey has prefered running back by committee in the past but again, it's the Browns so who knows.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2018/03/27/cleveland-browns-rumors-dreams-saquon-barkley-put-sleep/

He’ll go #4 to the Browns.
Either No. 1 or No. 4 to the Browns. I think he should go No. 1 without doubt, but GregInPitt is almost certainly correct. The frickin' Browns have had several months in which to convince themselves that their nonpareil scouting team has identified the next Tom Brady, so they will devote the No. 1 pick to a QB. And then probably get lucky enough to have the next two teams draft QB's as well, so that they can get Saquon with the No. 4 pick. I know that seems laughable, but we're talking about the Browns.

A couple mock drafts have Barkley falling to the Bucs at 7. I don't think there's any chance he goes first overall even though he's the best player. Browns will take Darnold then the Giants have to decide if they want Barkley, Chubb or to trade the pick. I think 4 is a far as he falls but you just never know.

Disagree. Look at the QBs teams drafted high in the past few years. Say what you will about Darnold, but he appears to have more tools than any of them. And if the Browns roll the dice on the small school kid, Barkley might not even go #2.

While Barkley is a fantastic prospect, IMO anyone thinking he'll go #1 overall is not correctly valuing the position of RB and QB. QB is just soooo important in the NFL that I can't imagine a year like this one with 4-5 highly touted QBs and a RB going before all of them.

And even at #2, the Giants have a QB on the way out and a top WR that is unpredictable and flaky and at best will still be in NY after 2018 but at a crazy high salary. And that would be with other teams wanting to be at #2 to get the QB they want, which means the Giants would be in a position to trade the #2 pick to get more picks and still get Barkley lower down if they wanted.

Highly touted QBs are hit and miss but when they hit they tend to be good for 15 years. Luck may end up being the exception but then again the Colts are exception in being badly run and couldn't provide an OL to protect Luck even in his early years when Luck was making relatively little and thus the Colts had more cap money to spend on things like the OL.

OTOH, even when RBs hit they're good for 10 years at the absolute max, often more like 6-8 before they start to fade, and due to the threat of injury even when they turn out to be good their careers sometimes end suddenly and prematurely.

Although I like that the NFL has a rookie pay structure now that prevents rookies that haven't done anything from getting giant contracts, in effect it punishes players at positions like RB that have shorter careers because they spend a larger proportion of their career in the pre-big money stages.

If Barkley gets drafted by a crappy team and does fantastic he'll still be basically turning a 4-5 win team into a 7-8 win team during some of his prime years. For exposures sake it would be nice if a team that is prepared to win now but is currently short at RB could get him. Then maybe he could parlay some of that exposure and winning into endorsement dough, as well as maybe picking up a SB ring.

It would be nice if the Steelers could some swap Bell for some draft picks and then trade some picks to trade up and get Barkley but I'm not holding my breath.

ETA: Then again this article points out what a huge different Elliott and Fournette made to the Cowboys and Jags the last couple years so maybe a crappy team drafting Barkley would turn out well.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/10/17139078/saquon-barkley-nfl-draft-2018-penn-state

Earth to Op2:
15yr QB runs are QUITE the exception... likewise 10yr RB runs are like hen’s teeth... even a statement like 6-8years “before RB’s start to fade” is kooky... like any internet tough-guy I have no facts to back my statements (per usual) , just going with my chiseled gut and calling you out for hyperbole​

What cracks me up is that the browns are likely to draft the 56% kid if only because they hope and pray he'll be the next coming of carson palmer (playing it like they're getting a mulligan for blowing it with wentz... although I doubt wentz has anywhere near the success with the browns he's enjoyed with a much better eagles team).

Now he might shine at the next level (and particularly if he has a pair of RB's that includes SB) but I cannot for one moment imagine being a fan of a team that bets the ranch on a kid that reminds me all too much of a kid we had here at penn state that also could not connect on 60+% of his passes and is languishing with the jets.

But it IS cleveland, so....

Not sure where SB lands, but I'd happily see him go 25th or whatever to a team that needs a RB to step deep into the playoffs, a team with a good line and a solid QB. I dunno,, the eagles? :) [how far down the line does SB fall before lurie says.. whatever it takes, get him! ?]

I can see him dropping to the 2nd half of the top 10 for the simple fact that the top QB's in this draft are all about the same in terms of risk so it's possible that they go in 4 of the top 6 spots. Add in the chances of a defensive player being picked i.e. Chubb in the top few picks and you've got Barkley going, as others have said, to Tampa Bay. Sure would love to see him go #1, but if not might as well go to a better team with the opportunity to be successful.

What cracks me up is that the browns are likely to draft the 56% kid if only because they hope and pray he'll be the next coming of carson palmer (playing it like they're getting a mulligan for blowing it with wentz... although I doubt wentz has anywhere near the success with the browns he's enjoyed with a much better eagles team).

Now he might shine at the next level (and particularly if he has a pair of RB's that includes SB) but I cannot for one moment imagine being a fan of a team that bets the ranch on a kid that reminds me all too much of a kid we had here at penn state that also could not connect on 60+% of his passes and is languishing with the jets.

But it IS cleveland, so....

Not sure where SB lands, but I'd happily see him go 25th or whatever to a team that needs a RB to step deep into the playoffs, a team with a good line and a solid QB. I dunno,, the eagles? :) [how far down the line does SB fall before lurie says.. whatever it takes, get him! ?]
I understand it completely, and there is no more harsher critic on the Browns than me. The Browns MUST secure a QB. This is a QB league. A quick review of SB winning QB's and you'll see very few poor or mediocre QB's winning the SB. Now, if SB is there at 4 and the Browns don't take him, that would be lunacy IMHO. Several big time prognosticators see SB dropping to 7 or 8. The thinking is that Browns take Allen, leaving NY to take Darnold. Bills will take a QB. If the Browns, then, take Chubb. That scenario has 4 of the first five picks being QBs.

I understand it completely, and there is no more harsher critic on the Browns than me. The Browns MUST secure a QB. This is a QB league. A quick review of SB winning QB's and you'll see very few poor or mediocre QB's winning the SB. Now, if SB is there at 4 and the Browns don't take him, that would be lunacy IMHO. Several big time prognosticators see SB dropping to 7 or 8. The thinking is that Browns take Allen, leaving NY to take Darnold. Bills will take a QB. If the Browns, then, take Chubb. That scenario has 4 of the first five picks being QBs.
The Browns need to focus more on winning a game than winning the SB.

Reactions: JR4PSU and 81b&w
The Browns need to focus more on winning a game than winning the SB.
Disagree....look at the sixers. The focus is on winning it all. I would be happy to go 0-16 for five years and then win a SB. we need a QB. There isn't much doubt about that.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

For what it’s worth, (which is not much), I was in Cleveland yesterday listening to one of their sports talk guys, and he was against taking Barkley 1 or 4. He was saying take a QB 1, and either Chub or the top ranked corner at 4.

For what it’s worth, (which is not much), I was in Cleveland yesterday listening to one of their sports talk guys, and he was against taking Barkley 1 or 4. He was saying take a QB 1, and either Chub or the top ranked corner at 4.
Yeah...that has been the banter. I suspect it has some Anti-PSU roots. Also to be noted that the Browns GM was the GM of KC last year. His two Lieutenants were with GB last year. KC took a RB in the third round (from Toledo) who ended up with over 1400 years, RotY honors and all pro. And GB has never heavily invested in RB's. They are making noise that the RB draft is deep in RBs so they can take a defender and still get one of the RB's from GA or USC (having two picks high in the second round as well as 1 & 4 overall).

Honestly, I'll be surprised if the Browns take him at 4 if they retain the pick and he's still there.

Yeah...that has been the banter. I suspect it has some Anti-PSU roots. Also to be noted that the Browns GM was the GM of KC last year. His two Lieutenants were with GB last year. KC took a RB in the third round (from Toledo) who ended up with over 1400 years, RotY honors and all pro. And GB has never heavily invested in RB's. They are making noise that the RB draft is deep in RBs so they can take a defender and still get one of the RB's from GA or USC (having two picks high in the second round as well as 1 & 4 overall).

Honestly, I'll be surprised if the Browns take him at 4 if they retain the pick and he's still there.

Yea the sports talking head made a point of saying that there were a lot of other really good backs in the draft that Cleveland could get later on. I also agree that there seemed to be an anti PSU vibe to his discourse.

The NFL rules about Qbs being more important than running backs makes sense except when a talent as exceptional as Saquon Barkley comes around., The last time a running back with his vast array of exceptional skills is never. So, I pray for his sake that he never spends a second in Cleveland because. I hope the lights turn on for some of these NFL draft advisers and acknowledge there is a time to deviate from the QB over all other positions rule and this SB marks that time.

The NFL rules about Qbs being more important than running backs makes sense except when a talent as exceptional as Saquon Barkley comes around., The last time a running back with his vast array of exceptional skills is never. So, I pray for his sake that he never spends a second in Cleveland because. I hope the lights turn on for some of these NFL draft advisers and acknowledge there is a time to deviate from the QB over all other positions rule and this SB marks that time.

He certainly brings a lot more to the table than your average NFL Running Back. Great receiver, good blocker, real good return threat, and the ability to break a long run at any time. Maybe more importantly is the positive leadership and positive character he brings.

Reactions: Obliviax
He certainly brings a lot more to the table than your average NFL Running Back. Great receiver, good blocker, real good return threat, and the ability to break a long run at any time. Maybe more importantly is the positive leadership and positive character he brings.
Dorsey/Browns have done a good job of keeping their traps shut. More and more speculation that they like josh allen. they may cut a deal with the Giants to take Allen so the Giants get Darnold. Or, if Barkley is there at 4, can see someone pushing their second round pick with a 8~ 12 pick in the first round to get him or one of the QB's still left (two of the top four in Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield).

Although you never know who will turn out well the fact that Josh Allen's completion percentage in college is 56.2 makes me very way or taking him really high. Michael Vick had a college completion percentage of 56.0 and was taken #1 overall. Scouts sometimes fall in love with possibilities they imagine in their mind that may not come true.

It seems to me that the single most important thing for a QB to do in the NFL is consistently pass the football with accuracy under game conditions and no matter what else they have going for them, guys that haven't proven they can do that in college shouldn't be taken near the top of the NFL draft.

Although you never know who will turn out well the fact that Josh Allen's completion percentage in college is 56.2 makes me very way or taking him really high. Michael Vick had a college completion percentage of 56.0 and was taken #1 overall. Scouts sometimes fall in love with possibilities they imagine in their mind that may not come true.

It seems to me that the single most important thing for a QB to do in the NFL is consistently pass the football with accuracy under game conditions and no matter what else they have going for them, guys that haven't proven they can do that in college shouldn't be taken near the top of the NFL draft.
This may be true....but there has been noise that he was poorly coached and had a major flaw in footwork. Since he ended his college time, he made a change to his footwork and has been much more accurate in workouts. Also, completion percentage has a lot to do with WR's running good routes, pass protection, etc. I do find it funny that a kid, who throws, say, 600 passes in a season is a better pick if he completes 24 more.

What he does have is a cannon for an arm like no other.

That is what makes these evaluations so difficult.

My favorite football writer Bill Barnwell said the same thing. Said drafting Allen #1 would be a terrible mistake. Said he has one of the greatest arms ever but that's not what makes a great quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT