ADVERTISEMENT

There is no doubt in my mind that Saquon Barkley goes number 1. He's the only lock.

This may be true....but there has been noise that he was poorly coached and had a major flaw in footwork. Since he ended his college time, he made a change to his footwork and has been much more accurate in workouts. Also, completion percentage has a lot to do with WR's running good routes, pass protection, etc. I do find it funny that a kid, who throws, say, 600 passes in a season is a better pick if he completes 24 more.

What he does have is a cannon for an arm like no other.

That is what makes these evaluations so difficult.

I first noticed that the small difference between average and good in terms of baseball batting average. 150 for 600 is .250, an average hitter. 180 for 600 is .300, a good hitter. The difference is only 30 hits over the course of a season, or about 1 per week. So getting just 1 hit more per week is the difference between being average and good.

Similarly, as you say the difference between being average and good in terms of completion percentage is about 24 passes per season, or about 1.5 to 2 per game. Sounds small. But I guess it adds up and matters.

My favorite football writer Bill Barnwell said the same thing. Said drafting Allen #1 would be a terrible mistake. Said he has one of the greatest arms ever but that's not what makes a great quarterback.
don't agree or disagree...but drafting a QB is a crap shoot. The CLE paper had a review, recently, of the first rounders of the last several years. You don't need to look any further than the Luck/RG3 year. Meanwhile, lots of good QB's taken later in the draft.

Regardless, the Browns need to draft a QB. It makes sense to draft the kid you want as opposed to waiting to see what drops to you.

Disagree....look at the sixers. The focus is on winning it all. I would be happy to go 0-16 for five years and then win a SB. we need a QB. There isn't much doubt about that.
They need more than a QB to win a SB. If that wasn’t all they needed, they would have won some games last year.

Doesn't matter if he is the best player in the draft. The QBs are and always will be a premium and he won't go until the run on them is done. The only reason he may go top 5 is because the Browns will snag their qb at 1. If they trade 4 to another team, another qb goes not SB. It is the nature of the beast.

They need more than a QB to win a SB. If that wasn’t all they needed, they would have won some games last year.
well, first, there is the "will" and "should" of things...they are not the same.

second, the prevailing thought is that they need a QB. You aren't going to get a great one in free agency to you've got to get on in the draft. And, he'll take several years to develop. So you have a 1 and 4 in the first round and two of the first three in the second round (plus all of the other rounds). In 2018, you win a handful of games with the players you have and begin to build a winning culture. Then, by the time Darnold or Allen are 27 years old, or so, you've got a contending team.

Will it happen? Probably not but you've got to have a process and follow it.

Gil Brandt has his Top 150 for the 2018 draft out. He's got Saquon ranked 1st. He's kinda
the godfather of the modern draft. And, I'm a Cowboys hater. He loves Saquon. You can
have your Mel Kipers, Mike Mayocks, Todd McShays, Bucky Brooks. I'll listen to the guy
who helped build a football dynasty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...randts-topranked-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

I don't disagree with you but the QBs aren't close to the best players in the this draft. When he puts 4 in the top 7 it loses credibility. If he was saying where he thinks they'd be drafted that would be one thing but there's no way Chubb is 5 or Nelson 8

Gil Brandt has his Top 150 for the 2018 draft out. He's got Saquon ranked 1st. He's kinda
the godfather of the modern draft. And, I'm a Cowboys hater. He loves Saquon. You can
have your Mel Kipers, Mike Mayocks, Todd McShays, Bucky Brooks. I'll listen to the guy
who helped build a football dynasty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...randts-topranked-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft
I think that Kiper and McShay both have Saquon ranked first ... but not the first predicted pick.

I think everyone pretty much acknowledges he's the best player in the draft. The debate is solely around value of the position

I think that Kiper and McShay both have Saquon ranked first ... but not the first predicted pick.

I think a part of pre-draft coverage should be what the "experts" said about the last 2 or 3 or 4 drafts so we can so who got what right and what wrong in the past.

There are 5-6 QBs this year that will go in the 1st round. No pundit anywhere will say "Well QB X is just going to flop." But with that many QBs going in the 1st round it's almost certain that at least one of them will flop. Pundits should have to answer the question "Which 1st round QB is most likely to flop? And which is second most likely to flop?" Then play it back in a few years and see who was right.

Anybody can say "This guy is gonna be great" over and over and over.

ADVERTISEMENT