ADVERTISEMENT

The worst part of this loss

is that it's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We've had bad seasons when we were rebuilding but we could see a spark from some young players. But this is team has a lot of veterans that will be gone next year. What do we have to look forward to except for Brown & Cain to return? We have some young highly rated LBs but they haven't shown anything.

Help me out. Tell me why this is just an aberration.

Losing a lot of senior starters opens the door for convincing recruits of early playing time

Because other than Simmons and YGM, we recruit the smaller, faster pass rushing DE types. It's a niche position type and basically every DE we have fits this mold. They can't stop the run very well and the sack production isn't high enough for the trade off.
BINGO.

Our wide receivers for the most part cannot get separation. We do not have Barkley or an athletic qb. Easy to scheme against.
Our scheme sucks. Other teams have receivers running free right off the line of scrimmage — the play design gives them separation.

Reactions: ram2020
Much like Hack, Clifford has little to no faith in the 5-6 bodies in front of him.

And I wonder how much faith they have in Clifford. The guy is slow in making decisions, has no pocket presence and can’t hit the broad side of a barn the first several possessions of every game. After starting last year, I expected him to be a leader on the team. It’s not all on him but right now he’s a big part of the problem.

The biggest hope is that somehow Covid messed the season up (practicing, coaching, general culture) then they became demoralized after IU. Not sure I really buy that but it could explain things. The talent is good but no one is performing. Biggest concerns are the lines and overall defense as well as Clifford regression. Well that is actually every position.
In
I don't want to give the OL a pass but MD had a lot of guys crowding the LOS. They were daring Clifford to beat them. The running game might have opened up if Clifford was able to connect on a few of those overthrows. Also, there's no misdirection to keep the LBs honest.
this RPO is absolute garbage. No pre snap motion. No screens. No imagination. How many times did Barkley and Sanders get hit at the stationary mesh point? Then your QB always looks just at his primary receiver. Pass routes are mind numbing. How many corner end zone fades do we waste? Have we completed 1 screen pass with Clifford? How many toss sweeps? How about abysmal short yardage due to refusal to ever put QB under Center? The only CHUNK plays from this offense are VOMIT CHUNKS.

Reactions: Omar81 and ram2020
Bull shut. It’s still a game determined how a team’s OL and DL plays. PSU sucks on both sides of scrimmage.
You can maybe accept the fact that OSU dominated the line on both sides given their talent.....but Maryland?? It is not logical and indicative of big big issues for this team.....

If I'm Friermuth I seriously consider shutting it down for the rest of the season..
Or, he can continue playing at a high level and put together a season full of strong "live action" tape and improve his draft position and make more money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT