ADVERTISEMENT

The season is about a month away. PSU should have announced an event to honor Joe by now.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
Joe hasn't been honored at a game for his numerous contributions to the university. We are approaching the 50th anniversary of Joe's first game as head coach, yet nothing, of course, has been announced by the university.

paul clifford, aka Flounder, can add disowning a legend to his list of things that make Penn State unique.

Joe hasn't been honored at a game for his numerous contributions to the university. We are approaching the 50th anniversary of Joe's first game as head coach, yet nothing, of course, has been announced by the university.

paul clifford, aka Flounder, can add disowning a legend to his list of things that make Penn State unique.

Not just disowning, flat out lying and scapegoating that flies in the face of the facts.

It's never going to happen!!! The outrage would be overwhelming!!!

Par for the course but still very disappointing if nothing substantial happens to commemorate the occasion. It would be awkward to make it a huge celebration deserving of the occasion without the Paterno family on the field and involved. I'm guessing that they would not be happy to have to shake hands with Barron or Ira out there.

If they plan something big, they likely have it well underway by now and are doing a great job of keeping it quiet. If they are keeping something worthwhile under wraps, my guess is that they probably don't want to face the media scrutiny ahead of time and need to plan the release statements well ahead of that week to cower appropriately to the media gods and goddesses.

My rant of grumblings and pessimism (if I state these thoughts here, I will be all wrong, I hope!):
If they make a small deal of it.... e.g. a couple of lines read over the PA system and a 3 minute video, along with a brief story in the game program, which is what I suspect they will do, it will not be anywhere nearly worthy of celebrating the milestone and what JVP means to us. There will be a loud roar from the crowd during the mention, and the timing will be such that TV won't cover it live, only in a brief mention/replay just before kickoff. We'll figure out how to word things so as not to heap much praise on the man who did as much as anyone to lead us from being a good school 50 years ago into being the exceptional university we are today.

I wonder if the Paterno family will be in their suite for this game if nothing substantial is going to take place?
I wonder if the media guide will have anything at all about this being the 50th anniversary. To date, JVP has received about as much space in the media guide as O'Brien. Just another coach in the chain....

My guess is the ahia state game. White Out, honor Joe at halftime with Sue at midfield and the rest of the Paterno Family right there. If this backroom deal with the A9 is to be believed then this would be the time to see it in action. All eyes are on the A9 now

My guess is the ahia state game. White Out, honor Joe at halftime with Sue at midfield and the rest of the Paterno Family right there. If this backroom deal with the A9 is to be believed then this would be the time to see it in action. All eyes are on the A9 now

I've heard or maybe read that Sue sent a letter to the lettermen asking them to come back. It might be for Temple. It also might be the weekend of the Pitt game, which would suggest no official recognition is planned. Can anyone clarify?

It won't happen. Not this season, not next season. Not as long as the current leadership is in place.

Let the Paternos worry about it. They have a large family and a lot of assets to fight their fight.

Let us worry about the impossible dream of monitoring the self-involved mirror kissers within the ranks of the gatekeepers at our Alma Mater. Keep posting the articles about mayors who were greased by developers. Keep a watch out for judges who are being investigated for corruption and bribery. I know it's a daily occurrence, but let's keep it germane to the topic. The kickbacks and bribes are so diverse it's hard to keep it all on one sheet of music but let's keep digging it up, anyway. Forget about the other stuff for now.

When they do, and all the "powers-that-be" are lining up for congratulations on the tremendous achievement, just remember:

All it cost us was placing Lubert and Dambly at the helm of the USS Penn State

Well, actually, that - and a lot more

C'est la vie

Reactions: eloracv
Somebody kindly hack the scoreboard and put up the words: THIS IS JOE'S HOUSE! Throughout the stadium let there be on and off blinking of 409! how uplifting if everyone began chanting it... on and on, louder, still louder.

The best way to "honor Joe" is to go out and win 10 football games this year.

And all the upperclassmen get their degrees.

"Honor Joe" is a pipe dream. Forget about people on the outside validating your (anyone's) opinion by having some forced ceremony. You fail or you succeed and you may credit Joe Paterno, or any other coach/teacher/mentor/family member for motivating you to do well.

Personally, I'm to the point where nothing PSU does is going to mollify my spite and anger toward them. It has nothing to do with Joe Paterno. It has everything to do with the smarmy A-holes who presume to dictate how I should perceive not only my school, but my support of it. All levels of this University placed football above human decency so I really don't think I want to be associated with that. I want to be associated with a positive outcome. I want to be washed in the blood of the Lamb.

When that is defined, let me know so I can gather at the river with the rest of the heretical scum. We'll all drown ourselves.

Somebody kindly hack the scoreboard and put up the words: THIS IS JOE'S HOUSE! Throughout the stadium let there be on and off blinking of 409! how uplifting if everyone began chanting it... on and on, louder, still louder.

I often wondered why scoreboards don't get hacked more often with smart a$$ tech savvy college students and pranks. I know the highway signs often do (there was just another story I saw about that today). If anyone's looking for any celebration of the anniversary (or calls for governance reform, fiduciary responsibility/ accountability, etc) under the current PSU leadership, they are going to have to hope for a 'Turk 182' type event. ;)

EDIT-

Last edited:
I often wondered why scoreboards don't get hacked more often with smart a$$ tech savvy college students and pranks. I know the highway signs often do (there was just another story I saw about that today). If anyone's looking for any celebration of the anniversary (or calls for governance reform, fiduciary responsibility/ accountability, etc) under the current PSU leadership, they are going to have to hope for a 'Turk 182' type event. ;)
The famous Rose Bowl scoreboard hijacking was done by a couple of Cal Tech students (where pranks and hacks are legendary). As i recall, one of the kids that did it submitted it as a class project (and got an A). A buddy of mine was in on the original planning back in HS (they tapped into the communications cable at the stadium), but ended up not going to Cal Tech and was not in on the final prank.

Reactions: psu00
Not just disowning, flat out lying and scapegoating that flies in the face of the facts.
Paul Clifford will NEVER stand for the alumni. He stands for himself and he does what his superiors tell him to do. He is the quintessential "Yes-Man." Word has it the letter to Sue about coming together with the BOT and Barron was a huge debacle. But what should we expect from someone who was fired from East Carolina and on the verge at Oregon?

It's been said that Sue is planning something with the lettermen to honor Joe this fall. I take it this would be a private gathering, likely off-campus. It would be great to see something that the larger community could attend. This is what you would expect a university to do. Not this university, of course.

We don't need some formal celebration ceremony to honor JVP! Everytime out lions take the field honors him and his legacy!

Reactions: biacto

Not going to happen for a very, very long time. Certainly, all the criminal court cases and lawsuits will have to be concluded at the very least.

This (honoring JVP) won't happen in my lifetime (just notched 66 laps around the sun).

I agree with the suggestions above that it would be more appropriate to pursue football excellence with real college students, demand exemplary behavior by the players, and make sure that when these things happen, people know that it was Joe Paterno who instilled those values into the program.

Not going to happen for a very, very long time. Certainly, all the criminal court cases and lawsuits will have to be concluded at the very least.

This (honoring JVP) won't happen in my lifetime (just notched 66 laps around the sun).

I agree with the suggestions above that it would be more appropriate to pursue football excellence with real college students, demand exemplary behavior by the players, and make sure that when these things happen, people know that it was Joe Paterno who instilled those values into the program.

They've boxed themselves into a corner. If at any point they honor Joe, it would be tantamount to admitting not only did they screw up and massively breach their fiduciary duties, but that they are also pretty horrible people. All those horrible things and lies they agreed to pay off are seeing the light of day, and it has nothing to do with any lawsuits, except their own against the insurance companies. Otherwise, those all stay hidden. They know it too. This bs about some arbitrary lawsuit(s)/trials is merely a diversion in an attempt to drag out having to articulate their real course of action.

Bleep that.

Again, you all need to realize that the University is not going to do anything about Paterno until all of the legal stuff is in the rear-view mirror.
We understand that part. We're livid with the fact that the BOT and administration are doing their best to make sure the legal stuff never gets to the rear view mirror. For example, let's go ahead and sue our insurance provider in a case we know we don't have a chance of winning, but it will result in the release of more nonsense claiming Paterno is an enabler of child sexual abuse, so let's do it!

Reactions: 91Joe95 and biacto
http://www.paterno.com/Sues-Letter/4th-Anniversary.aspx

"Dear Lettermen,

November 9 is the fourth anniversary of Joe's firing by the Board of Trustees and their wholesale indictment of the football program and the Penn State culture. Joe and I knew they had acted rashly, but we were hopeful that, with the benefit of time, they would correct their mistakes and set the record straight.

While much progress has been made in the last four years, the Administration, the NCAA and Louis Freeh have yet to acknowledge fully the extent of their errors. Worse yet, they are still waging an all-out campaign to keep the facts from ever seeing the light of day.

I write to you now to let you know that we have not given up on setting the record straight – and we never will. Four years of secrecy are enough. The victims, their families, each of you and everyone who cares about Penn State deserve the truth.

The sad history of this case is that the Board of Trustees took a terrible tragedy and made it worse. Their complete reliance on the deeply flawed Freeh report and their total capitulation to the NCAA were terrible mistakes that needlessly and recklessly tarnished the reputation of this great university.

Our only options are to give in and accept the allegation that Penn State was consumed with a corrupt culture, or fight for the truth. You and I know what Joe would have expected us to do. Penn State's culture is a treasure. It is worth fighting for. And the truth is not to be feared, but embraced.

Because these issues are currently being litigated, I am not able to comment on specific aspects of the case. What I can tell you is we respect the courts, and we welcome a chance to have the facts finally reviewed in a setting that honors transparency and due process.

Finally, I want you to know how proud I am of each of you. What you do with your lives is the ultimate testament to the Penn State culture. My life continues to be consumed with children and grandchildren and raising money for the causes Joe and I cared so much about. I also continue to pray for the victims and hope that the lessons of the Sandusky case will open eyes throughout our society.

I cherish my memories with all of you. I love Penn State more every day, which is why I will see this case to its proper resolution. I wish you and your families the best for the holidays.

With love,

Sues-Signature.png

P.S. Please hold the date...September 17, 2016, marks the 50th anniversary of Joe's first game as head coach. We are planning a special event to honor all that you accomplished. I will be back to you with more information about plans for that weekend."

"Dear Lettermen,

November 9 is the fourth anniversary of Joe's firing by the Board of Trustees and their wholesale indictment of the football program and the Penn State culture. Joe and I knew they had acted rashly, but we were hopeful that, with the benefit of time, they would correct their mistakes and set the record straight.

While much progress has been made in the last four years, the Administration, the NCAA and Louis Freeh have yet to acknowledge fully the extent of their errors. Worse yet, they are still waging an all-out campaign to keep the facts from ever seeing the light of day.

I write to you now to let you know that we have not given up on setting the record straight – and we never will. Four years of secrecy are enough. The victims, their families, each of you and everyone who cares about Penn State deserve the truth.

The sad history of this case is that the Board of Trustees took a terrible tragedy and made it worse. Their complete reliance on the deeply flawed Freeh report and their total capitulation to the NCAA were terrible mistakes that needlessly and recklessly tarnished the reputation of this great university.

Our only options are to give in and accept the allegation that Penn State was consumed with a corrupt culture, or fight for the truth. You and I know what Joe would have expected us to do. Penn State's culture is a treasure. It is worth fighting for. And the truth is not to be feared, but embraced.

Because these issues are currently being litigated, I am not able to comment on specific aspects of the case. What I can tell you is we respect the courts, and we welcome a chance to have the facts finally reviewed in a setting that honors transparency and due process.

Finally, I want you to know how proud I am of each of you. What you do with your lives is the ultimate testament to the Penn State culture. My life continues to be consumed with children and grandchildren and raising money for the causes Joe and I cared so much about. I also continue to pray for the victims and hope that the lessons of the Sandusky case will open eyes throughout our society.

I cherish my memories with all of you. I love Penn State more every day, which is why I will see this case to its proper resolution. I wish you and your families the best for the holidays.

With love,

Sues-Signature.png

P.S. Please hold the date...September 17, 2016, marks the 50th anniversary of Joe's first game as head coach. We are planning a special event to honor all that you accomplished. I will be back to you with more information about plans for that weekend."

According to this, Mrs. Paterno is planning something to honor 50 years of the Grand Experiment and all those who participated. I don't see her mentioning anything about PSU... My guess is that it will be all Mrs. Paterno.

Reactions: MahaloT and 91Joe95

Maybe the OGBOT will get a plane pulling a banner to celebrate Joe's accomplishments... oh wait

"Dear Lettermen,

With love,

Sues-Signature.png

Basically a 50 year, Letterman reunion. Festivities start Friday night, Sept 16th @ 7 - Medlar Field. Lettermen & Spouses/Guest only. Neither PSU or Joe (by name) are mentioned on the Invitation just the Grand Experiment.

Last edited:
You guys might like this

I can't speak for the other "guys," but I really enjoyed watching #68 in action. He moved around from MG to MLB to DT and was a problem for the Maryland offense.

How did you find that? Are other such films available to be viewed? I would really love to see some games from those magical 1968-69 seasons.

Thank you very much for posting that!

And it will be pathetic to know that the A$$9 saw this as a priority.

Personally, I'm to the point where nothing PSU does is going to mollify my spite and anger toward them. It has nothing to do with Joe Paterno. It has everything to do with the smarmy A-holes who presume to dictate how I should perceive not only my school, but my support of it. All levels of this University placed football above human decency so I really don't think I want to be associated with that. I want to be associated with a positive outcome. I want to be washed in the blood of the Lamb.
Really? Please elaborate on how "all levels of the university placed football above human decency". People have been banging that drum for almost five years but I have yet to hear any real evidence of it happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT