ADVERTISEMENT

The rest of the season

tomsc

Nov 2, 2014
I'm not an insider, but it's look more and more like Cassar will not be able to continue this season. That begs the question--can PSU still compete for the NCAA title without our only returning 2019 NCAA champion? I do not presume to know the answer to that at this point. I only want to note one thing. In 2018, tOSU had one phenomenal team (3 former NCAA champs and a host of runners-up), Nolf got hurt, and we STILL beat them in the dual that year (without Nolf) not to mention winning NCAA's with a hurt Nolf. I don't know what that translates to this year, but I have a lot of confidence in our guys. We'll see how that plays out, but I'm not out on the ledge, and I know a lot of you aren't either!

Reactions: NoVaLion2
I'm not an insider, but it's look more and more like Cassar will not be able to continue this season. That begs the question--can PSU still compete for the NCAA title without our only returning 2019 NCAA champion? I do not presume to know the answer to that at this point. I only want to note one thing. In 2018, tOSU had one phenomenal team (3 former NCAA champs and a host of runners-up), Nolf got hurt, and we STILL beat them in the dual that year. I don't know what that translates to this year, but I have a lot of confidence in our guys. We'll see how that plays out, but I'm not out on the ledge, and I know a lot of you aren't either!

I'm not an insider, but it's look more and more like Cassar will not be able to continue this season. That begs the question--can PSU still compete for the NCAA title without our only returning 2019 NCAA champion? I do not presume to know the answer to that at this point. I only want to note one thing. In 2018, tOSU had one phenomenal team (3 former NCAA champs and a host of runners-up), Nolf got hurt, and we STILL beat them in the dual that year (without Nolf) not to mention winning NCAA's with a hurt Nolf. I don't know what that translates to this year, but I have a lot of confidence in our guys. We'll see how that plays out, but I'm not out on the ledge, and I know a lot of you aren't either!
Of course they could. It is a 2 team race and one of them is PSU with or without Cassar. The path just gets a little tougher without him, but doable.

A "hurt Nolf" still looked pretty fricking impressive... :) I'm sure by the time NCAAs roll around both our teams will look a little different than they do now...so it could easily go either way. Hopefully it will be our turn this year. :)

Reactions: NoVaLion2
I'm just wondering how it's looking "more and more" like Cassar is done for the year.

His injury was only 2 weeks ago. There has been no news since then, and this Friday will be the first team competition since his injury.

Seems to me that it looks exactly the same as it did 2 weeks ago: it didn't look good then, and we don't know either way.

I'm just wondering how it's looking "more and more" like Cassar is done for the year.

His injury was only 2 weeks ago. There has been no news since then, and this Friday will be the first team competition since his injury.

Seems to me that it looks exactly the same as it did 2 weeks ago: it didn't look good then, and we don't know either way.

+1

Tuesday is team press briefing

Wednesday is coaches show.

Friday is a match.

We will learn a lot this week.

#itrustincael
If by week, you mean Friday, I agree. I doubt any significant information is given by the coaches, and fans can read the tea leaves with who they bring out at HWT...

While I agree Cassar makes the final goal more easily attainable, I also believe that Seth (or maybe Kerk) will be able to contribute nicely at 285. (maybe not natty champ but...)

I think they need Rasheed healthy and in the lineup and 149 to wrestle up to expectations/abilities to reach their ultimate goal.

Even if Cassar doesn't wrestle this weekend, it won't give an indication one way or the other what the plan is with him. They could choose to hold him out the entire month of January to give him time to recover. Not certain what the minimum number of matches is that he needs to wrestle to qualify for Nationals, but even if he didn't wrestle in B10's, he would get one of the wild card's. I'm not exactly sure on that, but I think that's the case.

I would expect that if a decision was made that Cassar was done for the season we'd already know as much. The fact that we've not heard anything from the coaches is somewhat encouraging because I infer from the silence that they're taking a wait and see approach. That said, in the past they've taken a wait and see approach in the past with pretty tough injuries that wound up being the season-ending type. But each injury isn't the same, and my sense of watching Cael over the years is that he'll always leave his options open until an option is no longer one. He rarely speculates in public except on the most obvious questions, and is very guarded about injury statuses.

Byers' take on a podcast about what he thought at the time of the injury is telling only inasmuch as it was the same thought many others had, for those with knowledge of Cassar's shoulder history.

I'd not be surprised if Cassar is done for year based only on what I saw at the time and knowing it's an area that's required surgery in the past. But nothing that's been "reported" since then has made that outcome seem more likely.

I think some fans overestimate the importance of social media and message boards, thinking that if there's this persistent rumor out there, the staff will want to address it, right? I think some (less secure) coaches (in all sports) might care what the fan base is thinking and look to message boards and Twitter but Cael is pretty clearly on his own schedule and agenda, justifiably so.

Even if Cassar doesn't wrestle this weekend, it won't give an indication one way or the other what the plan is with him. They could choose to hold him out the entire month of January to give him time to recover. Not certain what the minimum number of matches is that he needs to wrestle to qualify for Nationals, but even if he didn't wrestle in B10's, he would get one of the wild card's. I'm not exactly sure on that, but I think that's the case.

He CANNOT get an at large (no such thing as wild card anymore) unless he wrestles in the BIGs and meets the Bronze standard. Bottom line is he HAS to wrestle in BIGs to qualify for NCAAs. There is no minimum number of matches he has to wrestle to qualify for BIGs or NCAAs.

I'm happy to see that Byers' comments were speculation and not inside information--I had interpreted his comments as more than that. It sure will be interesting to see who wrestles at 285 on Friday.

IF Cassar is done for the year, one of the other heavies could take off the red shirt this year and redshirt next year while the other wrestles. I am still hopeful we see Anthony back.

Exactly, which is where we are now. Hoping.
Not exactly the same. If the shoulder is 2020 shot, then I assume Seth is next man up. If no Seth and no Anthony then the guys who run the program have told us "there is at a minimum, hope" the shoulder will be OK.
Right now we are just collective hoping without any white or black smoke.

IF Cassar is done for the year, one of the other heavies could take off the red shirt this year and redshirt next year while the other wrestles. I am still hopeful we see Anthony back.

and if we see someone not Cassar, Kerk or Seth, you know there is a thought that Cassar will be back.

Cassar's social media game would probably have leaked something if he was done-done.

#Shirtoffscarsoutsettlesit

Reactions: Ski and jack66
Considering Kerk is going to be our Heavy going forward are we that concerned about Nevills redshirt?

Considering Kerk is going to be our Heavy going forward are we that concerned about Nevills redshirt?
Yep. Throw Seth out there even if we think Cassar has a chance to return. I would think that, in Seth's mind, it'll give him a chance to get a leg up on being the starter next year. I realize he'll need to beat Kirk in a wrestle-off, but it sure can't hurt.

Reactions: Lyco1990
Just hypothetically if we don't have Cassar, we'd need somebody to have a Q 2011 or Nico 2012 level of over achieving relative to seed to give us a shot vs Iowa.

Reactions: Ski
I'm happy to see that Byers' comments were speculation and not inside information--I had interpreted his comments as more than that. It sure will be interesting to see who wrestles at 285 on Friday.

I have no idea what info Byers has but I imagine he does get inside information and if he were to take that inside information and publicly broadcast it before the coaches publicly talk about it I would imagine he would stop getting inside information. The coaches/university have not said anything about Cassar's availability the rest of the year so we really will just have to wait and see. I doubt Byers would leak anything that would put his standing with the program in jeopardy and it doesn't look like Cael wants to address this so I would take what Byers says with a grain of salt because leaking this kind of info against Cael's wishes is a bad idea.

What is the wrestling season without little drama. No, the Champ getting injured isn't the drama. That is a shame. PSU has had some horrible luck with injuries in the freestyle season, and even further back. The Berge blackout and Cassar's shoulder are just the recent ones. We have no idea how Rasheed will be when (if) he returns. Toss in the injury to Nolf (for Olympic qualifying opportunities) and its been a tough time. And there is the whole Conel situation that destabilized the lineup.

The Kirk transfer muddies the water a bit at heavy. If not for that, we would see Seth not going at the Scuffle as a sign that he would be joining Brooks in the lineup. Or at least preparing to do so. Why else would you avoid him getting in some good competition at the Scuffle? Seth did struggle with some open matches so perhaps him going full time won't really help us in March? Hard to know.

What I do know is that 2019 was fairly drama free. We had the Berge issue all year, and we had Rasheed late. But for the most part it was cruise control. 2020 has some great stories, but there is a lot of adjusting. Let's just hope we can get healthy and play a strong hand in March.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
He CANNOT get an at large (no such thing as wild card anymore) unless he wrestles in the BIGs and meets the Bronze standard. Bottom line is he HAS to wrestle in BIGs to qualify for NCAAs. There is no minimum number of matches he has to wrestle to qualify for BIGs or NCAAs.
By "wrestle in BIGs" you mean "at least step on the mat for his first round match," right?

Reactions: Ski and slushhead
Are we spoiled as PSU wrestling fans???? It’s a two team race and it’s only January. Ask this question after B1G’s. Iowa is good with maybe their best team in 10 years but PSU is good too. A lot can happen in the next 60 days.

Here's one really pessimistic view that hasn't been offered up, yet, to my knowledge . . . not a belief, but a hypothetical scenario simply for discussion's sake . . .

Circumstances
• Cassar is injured badly
• Kerk not eligible
• Seth wants to keep shirt on (e.g., sticking it out at PSU for academics and training this season, but may be considering transfer portal for next season)

Outcome
Hoopes gets inserted into the lineup for duals to avoid forfeits. Staff maintains for weeks that Cassar is working his way back, expected to go last couple of duals and/or at B1Gs. We wait just like we are now to see what actually happens. Cassar goes in last dual of season against American, attempting no shots but winning on an escape point and riding time. Wrestles the bare minimum at B1Gs before MFF-ing out. Gets seeded somewhere between #4 and #8 at Nationals and is still nowhere near adequate health to compete for AA points.

Again, not my belief, but plausible enough based on past history to throw it in the hat with the predictions that are being deduced from what we see Friday. I'll accept my flogging now.

Here's one really pessimistic view that hasn't been offered up, yet, to my knowledge . . . not a belief, but a hypothetical scenario simply for discussion's sake . . .

Circumstances
• Kerk not eligible
• Seth wants to keep shirt on (e.g., sticking it out at PSU for academics and training this season, but may be considering transfer portal for next season)

Outcome
Hoopes gets inserted into the lineup for duals to avoid forfeits. Staff maintains for weeks that Cassar is working his way back, expected to go last couple of duals and/or at B1Gs. We wait just like we are now to see what actually happens. Cassar goes in last dual of season against American, attempting no shots but winning on an escape point and riding time. Wrestles the bare minimum at B1Gs before MFF-ing out. Gets seeded somewhere between #4 and #8 at Nationals and is still nowhere near adequate health to compete for AA points.

Again, not my belief, but plausible enough based on past history to throw it in the hat with the predictions that are being deduced from what we see Friday. I'll accept my flogging now.

Completely hysterical if there wasnt such a high probability of being dead on. Historically speaking.

Circumstances
• Kerk not eligible

Outcome

One other variance to this scenario. Rasheed steps in at 197 and Conel wrestles at 285 until Cassar's return.

Reactions: Dogwelder
One other variance to this scenario. Rasheed steps in at 197 and Conel wrestles at 285 until Cassar's return.
Speaking of Shak and Conel, one possible factor in determining who goes at 285 is the availability/performance of Shak/Conel at 197. For PSU to win NCAA's this year, a good performance is needed from 197, need big points. If Cassar is out, possibly the staff wants to see how 197 performs and projects at NCAAs. If we don't have a strong/healthy wrestler at 197, then would be really difficult to win NCAA's. In that situation if Cassar is out, then the shirts may stay on and save the Kerk/Seth points for future seasons.

Good observation about Conel at 285.

Circumstances
• Kerk not eligible

Outcome

I would love to hear everyone's opinion if Seth decided he'd rather keep the shirt on instead of helping out the team.

It would get quite nasty here....lol

Reactions: danoftw
While it is a plausible option, and Seth could opt not to wrestle, if Cassar is out, I can't see why he wouldn't take the opportunity. Has a chance to be a key cog in a possible National Championship, which if he leaves would be his only shot at a team title. Then he would also still have his shirt available if needed down the road.

Reactions: PSU James
I would love to hear everyone's opinion if Seth decided he'd rather keep the shirt on instead of helping out the team.

It would get quite nasty here....lol

While it is a plausible option, and Seth could opt not to wrestle, if Cassar is out, I can't see why he wouldn't take the opportunity. Has a chance to be a key cog in a possible National Championship, which if he leaves would be his only shot at a team title. Then he would also still have his shirt available if needed down the road.

Let's try it in a better light for Seth -- he's willing to give up the shirt if he can be guaranteed he's the guy for B1Gs (and thus NCAAs), but the staff will not make the guarantee because Cassar wants to fight to the end. So the shirt stays on. Again, purely a hypothetical doomsday scenario for us fans.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT