ADVERTISEMENT

The playoff is still decided by a group of people , not on the field

where it should be. There should be at least an 8 team playoff.

Eight team playoff is still decided by a group of people; someone has to pick three at-large teams. If you truly want it decided "on the field" limit the playoff to the champions of however many conferences are in the agreement. Notre Dame can either decide to join a conference or pound sand.

1. 4 conferences of 16 teams each ... basketball has seemingly thousands of schools [hyperbole] but only puts 64 in its tournament ... there really aren't more than 64 football teams legitimately capable of winning a national title anyway

2. 2 divisions in each conference, 8 per division

3. teams play 7 games within their division

4. teams play 2 teams from within the "other" division, rotating opponents every 4 years

5. teams play 3 games from outside their conference, 1 from each other conference on a rotating basis

6. Game 13 is for the conference title at a neutral site

7. game 14 for 4 teams is the semi-finals at Bowl sites

8. game 15 for 2 teams is the championship game at Bowl site

No-debate rule: don't win your division, you don't make the playoffs ... go to Bowl games instead

No political ploys from Herbstreit or ESPN ... no "eye tests" ... no voting by committee ... win your division and advance

1. 4 conferences of 16 teams each ... basketball has seemingly thousands of schools [hyperbole] but only puts 64 in its tournament ... there really aren't more than 64 football teams legitimately capable of winning a national title anyway

4. teams play 2 teams from within the "other" division, rotating opponents every 4 years

5. teams play 3 games from outside their conference, 1 from each other conference on a rotating basis

No-debate rule: don't win your division, you don't make the playoffs ... go to Bowl games instead

No political ploys from Herbstreit or ESPN ... no "eye tests" ... no voting by committee ... win your division and advance

I like it with the exception of siting in 7. and 8. If I were running the playoff, I'd either go out and rent stadia (as the NHL does for the Winter Classic) or put the games up for auction, highest bidder wins. Bowls make me ill.

Too much. The power five
Champions are decided in the field. Them and three at large. If you don’t win your conference,
It is your own fault/problem. Theee at large allow for two strong teams in one conference / unbalanced conferences, etc. if you go higher than 8, the playoffs are too diluted,
And that means you are playing 16 or 17 games. Too much.

Reactions: Lionguy32
So the winner of the east division plays the winner of the west division and no team like Penn State if they beat msu this year could slide in to the playoff? How is this fair when the west division will never be as good as the east. What would Wisconsin record be if it had PSU osu msu this year? I bet they would not be undefeated right now.

ALL DECIDED By voters who have a vested interest in their "Team" to get chosen so their school is rewarded financially. This allows for kickbacks and backroom deals. Check out the schools who made the BCS games chosen by a board made up mainly of SEC commissioners. What a joke, Mark Emmert, pos!

Figure skating is a great example of the committee system of fake NC's. Has to be at least eight teams but I'd settle for eight if they qualified on the field in some manner decided before the season begins, not a sliding scale of a committee doing eye tests and beauty contests as they run up the score on helpless teams there for a pay day.

You will have something close to what you outline no later than 2025. Maybe sooner if you have an all SEC/ACC/ND Playoff this year.

The Big 12 is ready to implode and will not exist as we know it after 2024. If 8 of those schools find homes before then, it's done. They will vote to disband the Conference, and the GOR will be dissolved. Why do you think the decided NOT to expand.

Semis will be the Rose Bowl (B1G vs Pac 12) vs rotating Sugar/Orange Bowl (SEC vs ACC).

Correct. The system is better than it was prior to 2014, but it's still incomplete.

College hoops starts tomorrow. Every team in college basketball - from #1 Duke to last-year's-last-in-the-RPI Alabama A&M - has a guaranteed path to the Championship when the season tips off.

That's currently not so in college football.

I'd like to see, for instance, UCF get their shot. Not just a shot in the Peach Bowl against some 10-2 Power 5 team (which may well be us). A shot in an actual playoff where the winner wins the National Title.

Probably have to get to 16-teams (all conference Champs in) to get to that point.

where it should be. There should be at least an 8 team playoff.
Lets see; when there wasn't a playoff people wanted the best two teams to play, got two they wanted four, with four they want eight. Soon it will be basketball!

For me it will never be a true playoff until you take the 10 Conference Champions and add 6 at large. Cut the regular season back to 11 games. 12th is a playoff if the conference has one. 4 playoff games for 2 teams.

The most games anyone will play will be 16. The DIII champion plays 15 so you can't say 16 games is too many for college.

If you want a championship the Sun Belt, American, MAC and Mt. West all have to have a seat at the table otherwise it is the same as the polls.

1) You are going to have a hard time splitting up the divisions evenly- so more arguing. You are in the division with Bama and Georgia every year- no shot. You could say it goes in cycles, but some cycles last forever.
2) You are going to have a lot of schools currently in a good conference, left out in the cold. They won't like that at all.

I think you just need an 8 or 16 team playoff- where the conference winners are in with the top seeds, and yet some strong two loss teams who pass the eye test, like possibly PSU.

For me it will never be a true playoff until you take the 10 Conference Champions and add 6 at large. Cut the regular season back to 11 games. 12th is a playoff if the conference has one. 4 playoff games for 2 teams.

The most games anyone will play will be 16. The DIII champion plays 15 so you can't say 16 games is too many for college.

If you want a championship the Sun Belt, American, MAC and Mt. West all have to have a seat at the table otherwise it is the same as the polls.

I think it could work in an 8-team playoff: give the 5 highest ranked conference champions (between the Power 5 and Group of 5) an auto-bid, a 6th auto-bid to the winner of a play-in game between the 6th and 7th highest ranked conference champions, and two additional at-large teams, all seeded 1-8 by a committee.

It gives Group of 5 teams a shot at a championship without pretending that all 10 conferences will produce a team that's capable of winning a national championship every season. It might have to be 5 auto-bids guaranteed to the Power 5 conference champions with the 6th played for by the top 2 Group of 5 champions in order to get buy-in from the Power 5 conferences, though.

I don't think there's any way you could get the universities/conferences to agree to fewer regular season games (less ticket revenue, less television revenue) or significantly different composition of the conferences (which are mostly based on TV revenue). If something happens like the Big XII folding or laws/rulings requiring the players be allowed to be paid, all bets would be off.

I think it could work in an 8-team playoff: give the 5 highest ranked conference champions (between the Power 5 and Group of 5) an auto-bid, a 6th auto-bid to the winner of a play-in game between the 6th and 7th highest ranked conference champions, and two additional at-large teams, all seeded 1-8 by a committee.

It gives Group of 5 teams a shot at a championship without pretending that all 10 conferences will produce a team that's capable of winning a national championship every season. It might have to be 5 auto-bids guaranteed to the Power 5 conference champions with the 6th played for by the top 2 Group of 5 champions in order to get buy-in from the Power 5 conferences, though.

I don't think there's any way you could get the universities/conferences to agree to fewer regular season games (less ticket revenue, less television revenue) or significantly different composition of the conferences (which are mostly based on TV revenue). If something happens like the Big XII folding or laws/rulings requiring the players be allowed to be paid, all bets would be off.

Just not a true playoff if every team doesn't have the same chance to control their own destiny on day one of the season.

I will freely admit this will never happen.

Too much. The power five
Champions are decided in the field. Them and three at large. If you don’t win your conference,
It is your own fault/problem. Theee at large allow for two strong teams in one conference / unbalanced conferences, etc. if you go higher than 8, the playoffs are too diluted,
And that means you are playing 16 or 17 games. Too much.

Your post is contradictory.
You say the P5 champs are decided on the field and then "3 at large allows...for unbalanced conferences".
If you don't win your division/conference, you have been eliminated from the question of whether you are the best team. Bottom Line.

You have to ask yourself, what is the goal of the playoff. If it's to determine the best team on the field, there is no reason to allow a 2nd place team in as they have already been eliminated. If it is money and interest and eyeballs and TV coverage, then you make them as big as you can as all pro sports and the NCAA basketball have.

Start at Thanksgiving and do a 64 team playoff...

The same thing happens to the smaller conferences in CB.. A team could go 14-0 in conference and lose in their tourney and not make the NCAA.

I can see going to an 8-team playoff, but no more than that!! Think of how entertaining and meaningful the regular season in college football has been almost every single week this year! This weekend will feature 8 games that have ranked teams going against each other with a few of these games being "win or go home" scenarios....i.e. Miami vs. ND and TCU vs. OK. Compare that to basketball. Good grief, you go 18-15 during the regular season and still qualify for the tournament and does anyone really care about college basketball until March? Don't get me wrong, March Madness is great but it renders individual games during the regular season meaningless.

Reactions: Cpeplion
There is no way a real playoff would minimize the regular season. You would still need to win your conference to get into the playoff or be the best of the rest for chance at an at large bid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT