ADVERTISEMENT

C Jacobs and A Carter need to be on the field…

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
at the SAME time. We definitely have some issues at LB this year. Jacobs is our best LB without a doubt. Carter appears to be ready NOW to make an impact. It makes no sense at all to rotate Carter in for Jacobs. Move one to another spot and make sure our two best LBs are on the field simultaneously. My two cents.

WE ARE!!!

at the SAME time. We definitely have some issues at LB this year. Jacobs is our best LB without a doubt. Carter appears to be ready NOW to make an impact. It makes no sense at all to rotate Carter in for Jacobs. Move one to another spot and make sure our two best LBs are on the field simultaneously. My two cents.

WE ARE!!!
Yep, I agree. And Carter looks more like a Mike LB than a Sam LB to me. I was expecting Sutherland to be the weak LB, which may have presented the option to move Jacobs back to Sam and then have Carter get significant playing time at Will. But after watching 2 games I'm hoping that Carter some how ends up at Mike, which I doubt happens due to King and Elsdon both being relatively young with neither of them looking like they could play either Sam or Will. We need a dependable thumping tackling Mike and so far neither Elsdon or King have shown that they are.

I was also expecting a splash play or two from Buddin that might get him improving the defense when he does get playing time, possibly pushing Sutherland for more playing time. Maybe I missed it but that has been absent as well.

With Auburn being a power run oriented team the LB play better show up this Saturday, because if does not it might be a long day at Auburn for the PSU defense.......

Last edited:
Sutherland has played better at linebacker than safety. need to get Carter, King and Jacobs on the field at the same time.

I don't disagree, and at the same time, I'm thinking it's possible that neither know all of the assignments and responsibilities required for Mike or Will according to the coaches standards.

I don't disagree, and at the same time, I'm thinking it's possible that neither know all of the assignments and responsibilities required for Mike or Will according to the coaches standards.

No doubt, there is a lot more that goes into being the starter at any position than just being the best athlete at the position. One of the big ones is recognizing your assignment post-snap from any given formation.... and your consistentcy at getting it right. Essentially, if an assignment is misread immediately following the snap, it can cause a complete breakdown of the defense as someone else tries to compensate for your mistake, and then someone theirs, etc.... It can daisy-chain right through the defense and cause a complete breakdown. Only the coaches know if any one of the players is ready to play the majority of the plays at a specific position..., but playing all of them as new starters at a position is unlikely imho.

Both King and Elsdon seem to always be a step late. It's not athletic ability, but recognition related. Both seem to be slow to react at snap and seem to be slow in picking up their pass assignments. Hopefully they continue to improve. Carter seems to react quickly and goes there in a hurry with violence. I don't know if he's going to the right place but he certainly goes there, and fast. I like that he continually seems to be asking Elsdon questions while on the field.

Both King and Elsdon seem to always be a step late. It's not athletic ability, but recognition related. Both seem to be slow to react at snap and seem to be slow in picking up their pass assignments. Hopefully they continue to improve. Carter seems to react quickly and goes there in a hurry with violence. I don't know if he's going to the right place but he certainly goes there, and fast. I like that he continually seems to be asking Elsdon questions while on the field.
For right now, Elsdon & King need to play Mike due to their understanding of the defensive calls which will allow Carter to learn and grow into his current position. Short term sacrifice for longer term gain. Perhaps Carter will be moved to Mike next season.

WE ARE!!!
Son, you got one job today. Tackle the Tank every time he has the ball. Attack the tank on every down he's in and we win.

Reactions: NedFromYork
For right now, Elsdon & King need to play Mike due to their understanding of the defensive calls which will allow Carter to learn and grow into his current position. Short term sacrifice for longer term gain. Perhaps Carter will be moved to Mike next season.
Pull a page from long ago with a Four four three

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT