ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers/Browns Thursday Night Football

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
this is going to be a fun game to watch. First, the Browns got humiliated and booed off the field after scoring a TD and missing the extra point with less than two minutes to go and still finding a way to lose (missed extra point, TD, onside kick, TD) to the JETS.

Adding to that, the weather went from 86 yesterday to a high of 58 at game time with 10 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 30 mph off the lake. Just what a Browns/Steelers game should be!

this is going to be a fun game to watch. First, the Browns got humiliated and booed off the field after scoring a TD and missing the extra point with less than two minutes to go and still finding a way to lose (missed extra point, TD, onside kick, TD) to the JETS.

Adding to that, the weather went from 86 yesterday to a high of 58 at game time with 10 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 30 mph off the lake. Just what a Browns/Steelers game should be!
Not sure why the Steelers are staying with Trabiski, you picked Picket in the first round, see what he can do. Let him take his lumps and learn.

Reactions: RussianEagle

How do we watch this game by the way? Amazon Prime or what?

1. Tomlin is smart, once you go with KP you can't go back to MT unless KP gets hurt.
2. I can't believe the national media is giving a pass to Canada. They are so stuck on it has to be KP that they are missing the point that the play calls are 100% the same as they were with 7.
3. They opened it up in the preseason in order to trick people when the season starts? That is the only reason I can understand why they are not throwing deep.
4. I wish 7 would go national and bash the play calling. I am not saying it wasn't his time to retire but the play calls made him look way worse than he was.
5. Canada must have incriminating pictures of Tomlin.

If you can't tell, I hate Matt Canada.

1. Tomlin is smart, once you go with KP you can't go back to MT unless KP gets hurt.
2. I can't believe the national media is giving a pass to Canada. They are so stuck on it has to be KP that they are missing the point that the play calls are 100% the same as they were with 7.
3. They opened it up in the preseason in order to trick people when the season starts? That is the only reason I can understand why they are not throwing deep.
4. I wish 7 would go national and bash the play calling. I am not saying it wasn't his time to retire but the play calls made him look way worse than he was.

Well, the only reason that Canada was hired is because 7 wanted him to be OC. Canada was the OC at Pitt which uses the same facilities as the Steelers and Matt and Ben became good friends while talking football. Ben drove out a couple other OVs he didn’t like so the Steelers went with Canada to make their prima donna happy. Now they are stuck with him.

If the Steeler's score 10 points on their own, I'll be surprised. They are terrible! The offence stinks worse than skunk cabbage.

I detest these NFL talk shows as most of them remind me of clowns at a three ring circus. But I saw one that said that Canada is a huge problem for the Steelers. I've also heard that from some local people here in CLE. I think people want to give him some time and a chance. He coached a broken down QB that he inherited and a kid that isn't going to make it as a starter (Trubisky). By the way, Trubisky is from Cleveland. He won a state championship quarterbacking Mentor High School which is an eastern suburb.
The game will be broadcast live on WPXI, Channel 11, in the Pittsburgh area. Don’t know if a Cleveland local will have it.
channel 5. Here is a map.

Is the WEWS Channel 5 streaming the Browns game tonight?​

Locally the game will be streamed on any platform that offers NFL Network like Paramount +, Hulu Live and YouTube TV.

I detest these NFL talk shows as most of them remind me of clowns at a three ring circus. But I saw one that said that Canada is a huge problem for the Steelers. I've also heard that from some local people here in CLE. I think people want to give him some time and a chance. He coached a broken down QB that he inherited and a kid that isn't going to make it as a starter (Trubisky). By the way, Trubisky is from Cleveland. He won a state championship quarterbacking Mentor High School which is an eastern suburb.

channel 5. Here is a map.

Is the WEWS Channel 5 streaming the Browns game tonight?​

Locally the game will be streamed on any platform that offers NFL Network like Paramount +, Hulu Live and YouTube TV.
Well, Canada was OC at Pitt and they did poorly in a weak conference. He moves on to the Steelers and after he leaves Pitt wins the ACC and Picket almost wins the Heisman and becomes a first round draft pick. Oh, and their junior wide receiver wins the Belitnikov Award.

At some point they have to throw the ball downfield. If MT can't execute that then bring in KP. If the play calling stinks then you can't blame MT.

Well, Canada was OC at Pitt and they did poorly in a weak conference. He moves on to the Steelers and after he leaves Pitt wins the ACC and Picket almost wins the Heisman and becomes a first round draft pick. Oh, and their junior wide receiver wins the Belitnikov Award.
I liked Canada's Pitt offense. He put in a lot of misdirection, inside shovel passes, jet sweeps to WRs. In a year when PItt had little talent, they played us pretty well.

But I don't know where anyone feels he has/had the chops to coach at the NFL level. All of his coaching NC State, Pitt, LSU, and MD. Did he recruit picket? Picket was a freshman the first year after Canada. He's been on the Steelers staff since 2020.

Have stuck by Tomlin through thick and thin but the mere fact that he hired Matt Canada is worthy of a freaking pink slip.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Trubisky has been fine tonight. Warren looks better than Najee which...is a problem. That catch by Pickens was ridiculous. The Steelers defense without Watt just isn't good--Watt's truly the most impactful defensive player in the game.

The Browns QB looks really good. Sees the field well, makes quick reads and decisions. And has been deadly accurate. Moves around well. Calm and poised. Looks better than a lot of starters in the league.

The Browns QB looks really good. Sees the field well, makes quick reads and decisions. And has been deadly accurate. Moves around well. Calm and poised. Looks better than a lot of starters in the league.
Without Watt, the Steelers’ defense is very underwhelming; they haven’t won a single game in which he hasn’t played in the last two seasons.

With their upcoming schedule, this probably is going to be Tomlin’s first losing season, which might not be the worst thing; they need to start drafting higher for a few seasons and rebuild properly.

Reactions: bison13
Without Watt, the Steelers’ defense is very underwhelming; they haven’t won a single game in which he hasn’t played in the last two seasons.
Yeah they look awful on D, getting manhandled. Chubb is good but they are making him look like the best back of all time.

Trubisky has been fine tonight. Warren looks better than Najee which...is a problem. That catch by Pickens was ridiculous. The Steelers defense without Watt just isn't good--Watt's truly the most impactful defensive player in the game.

Trubisky played better than he did against the Patriots but I don't think he was fine. First drive, he throws a low percentage deep sideline pass on third down when he had Harris wide open for any easy first. He got lucky that Pickens made a season highlight catch on one scoring drive where he had Claypool(?) wide open in the middle that would easily have gotten the same yardage. On the last drive of the first half, he threw to Claypool who was stopped inbounds forcing a timeout when he DJ was wide open in the same area close to the sideline. It's those kind of plays that keep happening over and over that kills drives and momentum.

Where to begin?

Browns OL manhandled the Steelers D last night. 24 and 27 ran hard and Steelers could not stop them. Always falling forward for extra yard or two.

Browns QB was sharp last night. His receivers got open and he rarely missed them.

Steelers pretty much stunk on offense. I think the issue with Trubisky is locking onto 1 receiver. How has he survived in the NFL?

Steelers OL looked like PSU from last few years. Running backs got yards when they had a hole. Not often enough.

Dionte Johnson and Chase Claypool each had a couple of drops. So what else is new?

Friermuth not targeted until last 2 minutes of the game?

Sigh

They remind me a lot of Chuck Noll’s final teams. There’s some good young pieces in place but they are still a lonnnnnng way from competing for a Super Bowl…. at least until they put Pickett in. ;)

Where to begin?

Browns OL manhandled the Steelers D last night. 24 and 27 ran hard and Steelers could not stop them. Always falling forward for extra yard or two.

Browns QB was sharp last night. His receivers got open and he rarely missed them.

Steelers pretty much stunk on offense. I think the issue with Trubisky is locking onto 1 receiver. How has he survived in the NFL?

Steelers OL looked like PSU from last few years. Running backs got yards when they had a hole. Not often enough.

Dionte Johnson and Chase Claypool each had a couple of drops. So what else is new?

Friermuth not targeted until last 2 minutes of the game?

Sigh
Browns OL is one of the best in football. Bitonio, Wills and Teller are all pro-bowl players. Chubb is, IMHO, the best RB in the league but gets limited touches with the other RBs being so good. The Qb isn't great but is functional. He makes good throws but not long. He isn't dynamic the way others are; he's not going to create anything. He doesn't make mistakes.

The problem has been the defense. Specifically, the defensive backfield. Browns have two very high picks at CB and neither has been fantastic.

Having said that, if not for an epic failure against the Jets in the last 1:30, the Browns would be 3-0. (Panthers, Jets, Steelers)

Browns OL is one of the best in football. Bitonio, Wills and Teller are all pro-bowl players. Chubb is, IMHO, the best RB in the league but gets limited touches with the other RBs being so good. The Qb isn't great but is functional. He makes good throws but not long. He isn't dynamic the way others are; he's not going to create anything. He doesn't make mistakes.

The problem has been the defense. Specifically, the defensive backfield. Browns have two very high picks at CB and neither has been fantastic.

Having said that, if not for an epic failure against the Jets in the last 1:30, the Browns would be 3-0. (Panthers, Jets, Steelers)
Well, they needed an extremely long field goal by a rookie kicker to beat a bad Panthers' team, so their 2-1 record probably is what is appropriate for them.

I know that the Browns beat the Bengals twice last year, but I would expect Burrow to be able to throw all over them unlike the Steelers' pop gun offense.

Also, I like Chubb and the Browns' run game when they use it, but they went against a terrible rush defense last night. Let's see how they can pass when they play a defense that actually can play the run effectively.

The offensive game plan in Pittsburgh rivals that of a Saturday 12 year old boys and girls club game. The jet sweep and fake jet sweep is a joke. I almost think John Donovan would do a better job.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Well, they needed an extremely long field goal by a rookie kicker to beat a bad Panthers' team, so their 2-1 record probably is what is appropriate for them.

I know that the Browns beat the Bengals twice last year, but I would expect Burrow to be able to throw all over them unlike the Steelers' pop gun offense.

Also, I like Chubb and the Browns' run game when they use it, but they went against a terrible rush defense last night. Let's see how they can pass when they play a defense that actually can play the run effectively.
mmm....not sure I agree. Browns clearly outplayed all three teams. None of them are going to challenge for any championships. But they've given up three crazy stupid TDs that just shouldn't happen. They were all blown coverages at key times. My point is that these kinds of problems SHOULD be easily correctable.

Trubisky played better than he did against the Patriots but I don't think he was fine. First drive, he throws a low percentage deep sideline pass on third down when he had Harris wide open for any easy first. He got lucky that Pickens made a season highlight catch on one scoring drive where he had Claypool(?) wide open in the middle that would easily have gotten the same yardage. On the last drive of the first half, he threw to Claypool who was stopped inbounds forcing a timeout when he DJ was wide open in the same area close to the sideline. It's those kind of plays that keep happening over and over that kills drives and momentum.
Tomlin's clock mismanagement was our doom at the end of the first half. Pickens made one of the best catches I've ever seen then the made an awful effort at a ball in the end zone then had a flat out drop during on the 3 & outs. Johnson's drop on the perfect deep ball was another prime example. My biggest issue is either Canada refuses to gameplan to get the ball to Claypool or Muth--it's always Johnson and Najee. Muth didn't have a target until the final drive which is absurd.

^^^^^^^ can’t give the browns any credit.

ADVERTISEMENT