ADVERTISEMENT

The Open Mat's Class of 2017 Recruiting Rankings

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
the articles explaining their rankings are premium, and I don't like to link premium articles. (I encourage folks to subscribe ... I just don't like providing links and then having folks complain that the link only provides a tease unless you are a subscriber.

The rankings are:

1. Cornell
2. Iowa
3. Penn State
4. Oklahoma State
5. OHio State
6. Oklahoma
7. Nebraska
8. Virginia Tech
9. Michigan
10. Virginia
11. North Carolina
12. Iowa State
13. Binghamton
14. Drexel
15. Princeton
16. Missouri
17. West Virginia
18. Navy
19. Arizona State
20. Oregon State
21. Wisconsin
22. Purdue
23. Army
24. Brown
25. South Dakota State

Interesting. Is Manville considered part of the class and is Verkleeren included? Hard to top those two and Lee, Berge..

Interesting. Is Manville considered part of the class and is Verkleeren included? Hard to top those two and Lee, Berge..
Manville is not included, Verkleeren is.

Berge
Lee
Verkleeren
Blumer
Hoeg

I'm going to guess Manville is not. I'm pretty sure they had him with last class and don't want to count him twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulouie
I'm glad Iowa is ranked higher but questions loom especially with Lee's shoulder. How many times have they "outranked" PSU in the recruiting since Cael arrived? more times than not.....

I'm going to guess Manville is not. I'm pretty sute they had with last class and don't want to count him twice.
I'm pretty sure they did not credit PSU for recruiting Manville in last class because they were unsure if he'd ever start or wrestle for PSU, or some such poor thought process. Recruiting rankings should be about a moment in time and not prognosticating the future several years out.

I'm glad Iowa is ranked higher but questions loom especially with Lee's shoulder. How many times have they "outranked" PSU in the recruiting since Cael arrived? more times than not.....

This is blasphemy... you are suggesting that Cael and crew are coaching up our wrestlers better than the wonder twins?

Order by average rankings over the last nine years has been Iowa, Oklahoma State, Penn State, and Ohio State and it's very close between OkSU, PSU, and O$U.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm pretty sure they did not credit PSU for recruiting Manville in last class because they were unsure if he'd ever start or wrestle for PSU, or some such poor thought process. Recruiting rankings should be about a moment in time and not prognosticating the future several years out.

I'm not sure what we did last year because it was before I came on board. However, my approach is to count anyone committed from the class of 2017 (so no Manville this year) as it stands now. Arujau isn't going to Cornell next year, but he still counts. I hope that clarifies the situation.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'm not sure what we did last year because it was before I came on board. However, my approach is to count anyone committed from the class of 2017 (so no Manville this year) as it stands now. Arujau isn't going to Cornell next year, but he still counts. I hope that clarifies the situation.
Where is Arujau going?

Sorry, I was referring to Flo. Thanks for your thoughts. I agree.

Reactions: OkieSpladle
No State schools(Edinboro), no Lehigh, no Pitt. Wow.
Count Manville and we would be 1st or darn close....2018 class is already 1st....Won't matter anyway...We have the best Coaching staff and room in the WORLD !!!!

Cael has to HIT THE WEIGHTS HARD to get these recruiting rankings up!!! If not, we will continue to need 8 scoring wrestlers to win nationals.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Prediction: 5 years from now Jammen will declare the unranked Goofer recruiting class' 20th place finish as proof that Eggum is a better coach than Cael.

Reactions: LHavenlion
Prediction: 5 years from now Jammen will declare the unranked Goofer recruiting class' 20th place finish as proof that Eggum is a better coach than Cael.

G4tYoVL.jpg

Please remind...

Is there a wrestler from another school at 133, who is considering a grad transfer to PSU for his final year of eligibility?

This idea may also assume that our 133 pounder may move up a weight.​

Any inputs or clarifications are welcome.

Please remind...

Is there a wrestler from another school at 133, who is considering a grad transfer to PSU for his final year of eligibility?

This idea may also assume that our 133 pounder may move up a weight.​

Any inputs or clarifications are welcome.

The rumor was Corey Keener..a 133 national qualifier from Central Michigan. It came out hot and heavy a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

It was also rumored Cortez may move up to 141. If so, guess he'd be wrestling off with Nick Lee for the spot

Reactions: T J
The rumor was Corey Keener..a 133 national qualifier from Central Michigan. It came out hot and heavy a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

It was also rumored Cortez may move up to 141. If so, guess he'd be wrestling off with Nick Lee for the spot

That's it. Thanks pish69.

Corey Keener bio...

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/corey_keener_896337.html

Keener's finish at the 2017 NCAA Tourney
http://m.standardspeaker.com/sports/locals-fall-at-ncaa-wrestling-tourney-1.2169449

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT