ADVERTISEMENT

The Masters

purescurve

Jul 17, 2015
This years Masters is shaping up to be one of the best. The players are all playing really good golf. Lot of good storylines and since we all love a good redemption story... Tiger is back. Should be fun

Golfers getting tougher.:cool:
Dude [Finau] dislocates ankle celebrating an ace yesterday, crumbles to ground and pops it back in. Teeing off @12:43 today.
I'll be rooting for Phil or Bubba to win & Finau to make the cut.
Love The Masters

Reactions: purescurve
So, how many of you are avid players? I'm an avid player and am a 6 handicap. Never got any lower than a 5.
not so much any more.... started shooting sporting clays because it took less time (kids...)... but only got as good as a bogey average..
Will be interesting... as I jumped wholeheartedly back into wrestling when the kids came of age..... now they are coming to age - young professionals - where I wonder if I'll take the game back up.

not so much any more.... started shooting sporting clays because it took less time (kids...)... but only got as good as a bogey average..
Will be interesting... as I jumped wholeheartedly back into wrestling when the kids came of age..... now they are coming to age - young professionals - where I wonder if I'll take the game back up.
par 3 courses for me. I play once a year. Too expensive and I don't like being rushed while I am looking for my ball. Tiger is like Nolf for me. Love his new "gratitude over attitude".

Reactions: bowandarrow
All this golf talk makes me want to watch Caddyshack.

kAlWHez.gif

Reactions: NittanyChris
You ever need a partner for clays let me know. Might be a reason to go to State College :)

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Ok, I'm gonna sound ignorant, but I gotta ask...

How do you guys watch and get hyped for golf? Is it one of those things like baseball where you have to really understand it deeply and analyze every little move in order to get it? Both activities are boring as heck to me. How do people pay money to go watch golf live? Like, you can't even cheer or talk smack?! Maybe it's because I think any Tom, Dick, or Harry can show up on a weekend and golf 18, but I'm very interested as to what makes one interested and hyped about golf and/or baseball.

Reactions: purescurve

How do you guys watch and get hyped for golf? Is it one of those things like baseball where you have to really understand it deeply and analyze every little move in order to get it? Both activities are boring as heck to me. How do people pay money to go watch golf live? Like, you can't even cheer or talk smack?! Maybe it's because I think any Tom, Dick, or Harry can show up on a weekend and golf 18, but I'm very interested as to what makes one interested and hyped about golf and/or baseball.
So, I took some customers to the FedEx St. Jude Classic one year. We were standing near the landing area of a blind landing on a par 4, when a ball rolls near us, under some trees. We repositioned ourselves so we were directly behind his next shot, about 80 yards, pond guarding the green on the left, narrow path to the right side of the green. Due to overhanging trees, he had about a 1 square foot opening 20 yards in front of him.

We thought he would punch out, cut his losses and take the bogey. Instead, he says to his caddie, "I'm gonna pop it through that hole, drop it on the green with some backspin, and bring it back to the hole." We were all saying, "There is no way."

That ball was clean through that little opening, landed on the fringe, and came back. Due to the lie, he didn't get as much backspin as he wanted, but he called the shot, and darn near called everything about it.

These guys are the best of the best, and I appreciate anyone in any sport or hobby, that is at the top levels of whatever it is they do.

If none of that convinces you, there is beer, hot dogs and women golf spectators.

I play as much as possible. At one time was good enough to qualify for PA amateur, but now play without ever practicing. Still like playing from tips, but anymore it is a rare day I break 80.

So, I took some customers to the FedEx St. Jude Classic one year. We were standing near the landing area of a blind landing on a par 4, when a ball rolls near us, under some trees. We repositioned ourselves so we were directly behind his next shot, about 80 yards, pond guarding the green on the left, narrow path to the right side of the green. Due to overhanging trees, he had about a 1 square foot opening 20 yards in front of him.

We thought he would punch out, cut his losses and take the bogey. Instead, he says to his caddie, "I'm gonna pop it through that hole, drop it on the green with some backspin, and bring it back to the hole." We were all saying, "There is no way."

That ball was clean through that little opening, landed on the fringe, and came back. Due to the lie, he didn't get as much backspin as he wanted, but he called the shot, and darn near called everything about it.

These guys are the best of the best, and I appreciate anyone in any sport or hobby, that is at the top levels of whatever it is they do.

If none of that convinces you, there is beer, hot dogs and women golf spectators.
Yep. All of this.

Also love spending summer days or nights sitting in a ballpark watching a baseball game. I used to take my girls. Occasionally they still go. Now I generally go with grandson and niece.

I started playing golf when I was done with baseball and wrestling. The reason was simple. Baseball and wrestling were two things my father and I could always easily communicate with each other about. Playing golf was initially something to do that when I was home allowed me to do spend time with my father.

Reactions: CropDuster507
I play as much as possible. At one time was good enough to qualify for PA amateur, but now play without ever practicing. Still like playing from tips, but anymore it is a rare day I break 80.
What I have to say to you isn't fit to print.

I've had 9's good enough to break 80, but couldn't back it up with a second 9 to get there.

Reactions: nitlion6

Perfect hangover sport to watch. Lay on couch, Nantz whispers lullabies into your ear while you drift in an out of sleep. When awake, you go "Woooah! Holy shit, I couldn't do that!" or "GET IT THE HOLE!" then fall back asleep. Then, you aspire for it to be close and that you're awake enough to watch the last few holes (or if you're feeling spry the back nine!)

I am the type that will watch virtually any competition -- caught myself watching bags last week and have even watched a whole episode of drone racing. I think it is cool to see talented people compete. The Masters has a different aura, so I'll watch it some on Saturday.

I think since people grow up playing baseball and/or play golf now, they can appreciate the talents of the players -- but perhaps most importantly, can easily consume lots of beer and chat with their buddies/family at the events.

Just got back from being away for weeks traveling, so I'm still catching up, but I'll give you a perspective. Sorry for the length.

Golf was actually my main sport in high school and college, and believe it or not, to me, has some important similarities to wrestling. I turned away from "team" sports mostly because you rely on others who may not have the same fire you do. In golf and wrestling, though you play on a team (in school), you are an individual and you have no excuses but yourself when you are playing or wrestling.

As a person who wore the face off of many sand wedges and other clubs practicing, and was up at 6 am on a putting green every day, you not only get tired of relying on people who "don't care" as much as you do, but you appreciate the hard work and skill that goes into any individual sport (and individuals in team sports of course). When you realize golf is many different games in one that each takes much work, as Pawrestler said, it changes your perspective on what they are doing.

Driving the ball is one game. fairway shots, draws, fades, cutting wind, getting backspin, getting out of rough, sand traps, hitting off hardpan, sidehills, etc, etc, is a different animal. Same with putting. Touch, reading different types of grass, pitch, etc. Pitches and short game same thing. Wrestling is the same, 3 different positions and a zillion possible combinations of moves in each to learn how to apply and react to, etc. There is just so much to learn and think of as you play or wrestle.

I could go on but I'm sure some are already bored. ;) For me, because of my Dad coaching wrestling (little ones), I have always liked and followed it, but I really enjoy it because I see the same individual skill needed as with golf, hard work, determination, sportsmanship, technique. It would also be nice to be truly gifted (I certainly was not, hard work was my forte).

Sportsmanship to me is prevalent and key in both golf and wrestling and while no one is perfect (I was one of the worst examples of temper you will see when young so I relate to Desanto), but all through both sports you can enjoy great people and feel good about rooting for them. There is plenty of cheering in golf, though not so much talking smack where people will hear. That part is a bit more subtle, but it is there, just like in wrestling.

So to finally answer your question specifically, while it helps knowing the nuances of golf when watching, I have taken many people to pro tourneys that knew nothing (like my wife who is from China) and to a person, they loved it. Any pro sport is a great atmosphere, everyone can see the skill and amazing talent players have. There is the tenseness of winning. If you've ever seen someone stand over a 4 foot putt with a million on the line, its pretty tense. Or knock in a shot from the sand to win, or just have two titans (Tiger vs Phil, Jack vs Watson) duking it out.

And as in any sport, some people have charisma. Best example is Tiger, one of the all time draws in any sport. If you were to go to a tournament and see Tiger, Phil, Speith, etc live, or in my day, Jack, Arnold, Player, Watson, etc, you would understand. Same goes for the womans tour or any womans sport. People sometimes think it would be boring.....until they go.

And if you don't happen to like it after all this....there is beer and food and you are outside in hopefully good weather in a beautiful place.... :)

Personally I'm always pulling for Spieth and I'm happy to see him leading again. He still seems like such a good kid over the years and keeps his nose clean. Not to mention his relationship with his special needs sister.

Thank you for the input, everyone. Obviously it takes a ton of skill, and I did preface it with acknowledged ignorance, but I also haven't put myself in a position to really soak the sport in, I guess.

And beer. Yay beer.

Thank you for the input, everyone. Obviously it takes a ton of skill, and I did preface it with acknowledged ignorance, but I also haven't put myself in a position to really soak the sport in, I guess.

And beer. Yay beer.
Get out to a par 3 9 hole course on a warm summer morning, rent some clubs and smack the @#$% out of the ball. Be careful to check the club head for looseness but that is another story.

When you hit the ball just right there is a distinct sound like the swish of a basketball net, the baseball hitting the meat of the bat or glove that is just pure. Kinda of like hhg knocking on your dorm room door at 2am with a couple of cold 40's. Oh yeah, baby

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
That's good shooting from the tips. I'm 53 now, so I play from tees that are somewhere around 6,200-6,500 yards these days, but also don't use anything bigger than a 3 wood from tees. Never learned to control a driver.

Thank goodness we're all different. I like golf, and BK (before kids) was pretty good. Still not bad, but better playing a scramble than my own ball.

A great way to spend a few hours with a friend. My son and I always have a "blast" and we get to talk about a lot of different things without actually talking about them, if you know what I mean.

I worked on and managed golf courses for over 30 years. I didn't play much do to injuries but did enjoy what I was able to do. I find it amazing to watch pros do things with a golf ball the average golfers wouldn't dream of. Those guys are amazing and then hear Sergio took a 13 on a par four at the Masters, they are human after all.

When you work in the industry you appreciate a good athlete and their performance. I also enjoy seeing the maintenance and management of the tournament golf courses. I never managed a pro tour stop course but did create the conditions to host one at two courses. It's a science and an art. Those in the industry appreciate it far beyond those who are outsiders, golfers or not. Not to say we are better but we know what is required to produce tournament conditions in all weather conditions using nature and our tools. Not a job for the weak of heart.

AND as a graduate of the PSU Turf Management program I am in a very special alumni group that represents the best courses and tournaments in the world. The program was in may day and still is rated as the best there is.

True story here. There is a big resort north of San Diego called La Costa where they often have big money pro golf tounaments. The place also has ( or at least used to have) a pretty swinging bar where you could expect to have a good time. Way back sometime in the late 80's or early 90's, I went there with two friends the same weekend of a big tournament. I was walking towards some sliding glass doors in the front but looking back at my friends instead of watching where I was going. All of a sudden, crunch, I walked right into another person going the opposite direction. I stopped and began to profusely apologize and the guy who I had walked into was doing the same to me. It took a second or two to come to my senses and then I realized I was standing there talking to Arnold Palmer! We both laughed a little bit and then went our separate directions. Nice way to meet one of the greatest golfers of all time.

Reactions: Gebmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT