ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball The latest on Micah Shrewsberry.....

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Via Jeff Goodman on Twitter recently, basically in line with everything we've reported and heard so far.

"Penn State's Micah Shrewsberry currently mulling offer to remain at Penn State and opportunity to go to Notre Dame, source told Stadium. Penn St has increased its financial package, also NIL commitment. Shrewsberry grew up in Indiana, coached at Butler and Purdue."

Not sure he is nd top choice. Think the creighton coach is their target. Shrewsberry used it to get raise and nil money it’s the game

Reactions: fairfaxlion2
interesting. At the end of the day, Shrew wants to know he is in a position where he can be successful. Makes complete sense.
Growing up as the son of an ND Subway Alum (eg Irish Catholic father who went to a D2 school in New Engkand) I followed Irish hoops closely.

If you compare histories, there is no comparison. Their biggest win was stopping UCLA's win streak with their Adrian Dantley team....ours is maybe last Thursday.

ND was nationally syndicated way before Conference Cable TV. Harry Kalas of the Phillies did their syndicated games. Bill Laimbeer, Kelly Tripuka etc were household names for basketball junkies like me in high school.

South Bend is no Garden of Eden and the weather pretty much blows. The same can be said about Staye College for weather.

ND's campus is pristine. Ours is wonderful in one of the most classic college towns anywhere. Shrew is from Indiana and appeats to have liked Purdue...so South Bend likely has the geographocal edge.

If I'm him I probably go...and that's with the understanding that the work there will be held to higher standards. In the end we may have been his first serious love...but he will probably marry someone else.

I hope I'm wrong. It woukd be a major victory if he stays. But like Spin said...he wants to know HE CAN BE SUCCESSFUL. If salary is cl9se to equal ND likely offers the higher ceiling...which is what drives great coaches.

If anything, Shrew may be wrestling with his conscience...his departure woukd absolutely rat fu_k us....but isn't that the way even kind break ups go?

We'll see soon enough. Hope he picks us! ( til Purdue comes calling)

Coach Shrewsberry either caught the "Penn State bug" or he didn't. If he didn't, then he has no business being where he doesn't want to be first and foremost, especially when maybe what he does want is calling him "home". He is intelligent enough to follow what is best for him and his family.

No experience is ever wasted, and if it ends up he leaves then Penn State MBB fans will wish him well. [Unless the Nittany Lions should happen to play against his team (wink)]. He was inspiring, that's often what you can most ask from anybody. Sometimes the shortest encounters are the sweetest.

Good luck with your decision Micah.

Last edited:
Growing up as the son of an ND Subway Alum (eg Irish Catholic father who went to a D2 school in New Engkand) I followed Irish hoops closely.

If you compare histories, there is no comparison. Their biggest win was stopping UCLA's win streak with their Adrian Dantley team....ours is maybe last Thursday.

ND was nationally syndicated way before Conference Cable TV. Harry Kalas of the Phillies did their syndicated games. Bill Laimbeer, Kelly Tripuka etc were household names for basketball junkies like me in high school.

South Bend is no Garden of Eden and the weather pretty much blows. The same can be said about Staye College for weather.

ND's campus is pristine. Ours is wonderful in one of the most classic college towns anywhere. Shrew is from Indiana and appeats to have liked Purdue...so South Bend likely has the geographocal edge.

If I'm him I probably go...and that's with the understanding that the work there will be held to higher standards. In the end we may have been his first serious love...but he will probably marry someone else.

I hope I'm wrong. It woukd be a major victory if he stays. But like Spin said...he wants to know HE CAN BE SUCCESSFUL. If salary is cl9se to equal ND likely offers the higher ceiling...which is what drives great coaches.

If anything, Shrew may be wrestling with his conscience...his departure woukd absolutely rat fu_k us....but isn't that the way even kind break ups go?

We'll see soon enough. Hope he picks us! ( til Purdue comes calling)
It was Obli with the quote on success.

And our biggest bball victory was against top ten ranked Pitt and a kid named Billy Knight at Rec Hall. Feb 23 1974 breaking. 20 game winning streak.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Time to turn the attention to guys like Langel, May, or DeVries...and hope that Booth was in love with PSU more than Micah.

Time to turn the attention to guys like Langel, May, or DeVries...and hope that Booth was in love with PSU more than Micah.
My guess is that the new guy will have to bring in 12 new players. I don’t know if they’ll keep any of the current freshmen or the incoming ones.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
It was Obli with the quote on success.

And our biggest bball victory was against top ten ranked Pitt and a kid named Billy Knight at Rec Hall. Feb 23 1974 breaking. 20 game winning streak.
Right. Basketball comes down to recruiting, full stop. Exposure, NIL, TV, alumni, tradition, facilities.....All of those point to ND. I love PSU but we've got to be real.

My guess is that the new guy will have to bring in 12 new players. I don’t know if they’ll keep any of the current freshmen or the incoming ones.
Potentially...though I expected the same two years ago and it didn't turn out as bad as I was prepared for with the turnover. We should certainly have playing time to offer, and the new age of grad transfers and immediate eligibility offers quite the band-aid.

Heck, Dusty May can bring his starting 5 along with him and have us in the tourney next season. ;)

Potentially...though I expected the same two years ago and it didn't turn out as bad as I was prepared for with the turnover. We should certainly have playing time to offer, and the new age of grad transfers and immediate eligibility offers quite the band-aid.

Heck, Dusty May can bring his starting 5 along with him and have us in the tourney next season. ;)
Can we hire another Indiana guy though? Because when Micah goes to Purdue, then this guy will go to Notre Dame.

Can we hire another Indiana guy though? Because when Micah goes to Purdue, then this guy will go to Notre Dame.
Fine with me, as long as each guy keeps raising the profile of the program...we don't need someone to stay for 20 years (we're still a stepping stone job and have the fan support/attendance to prove it), but the key is to keep moving forward (and not bottom out as things turn over).

Fine with me, as long as each guy keeps raising the profile of the program...we don't need someone to stay for 20 years (we're still a stepping stone job and have the fan support/attendance to prove it), but the key is to keep moving forward (and not bottom out as things turn over).
I should’ve use the sarcasm font because I would be fine if he was the head coach.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT