ADVERTISEMENT

The future is bright folks!

Barkley is just one of the young studs who will change this program entirely. This season will be tough to watch and next season probably won't be great either. But in two years the fruits of this recruiting will start to show. The future of the Penn State Nittany Lions is very bright!
One TD?

Barkley is just one of the young studs who will change this program entirely. This season will be tough to watch and next season probably won't be great either. But in two years the fruits of this recruiting will start to show. The future of the Penn State Nittany Lions is very bright!
Maybe next year. Last week some of the experts on this board were jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Palmer was the worst tackle in division 1. I am excited about the future.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I am not sold on many of the coaches still. Barkley was slowed on certain plays from crap play design that saw him waiting for jet motion to get out of the way. Since I was so wrong about everything else coming into the year, I am glad I pegged Barkley for a future superstar.

Maybe next year. Last week some of the experts on this board were jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Palmer was the worst tackle in division 1. I am excited about the future.
Geez, a win over Buffalo calls for excitement. Appreciated the enthusiasm, but let's not jump the gun here.

All I know is the offense actually moved the ball with Barkely in. It was very hard watching Lynch crawl towards the holes. Speed difference in the offense with just one player was night and day.

Reactions: smilinjoe
I am not sold on many of the coaches still. Barkley was slowed on certain plays from crap play design that saw him waiting for jet motion to get out of the way. Since I was so wrong about everything else coming into the year, I am glad I pegged Barkley for a future superstar.

Brilliant! Like everybody else was not?

It's not based on this game. It's just that now you can start to see glimpses of the talent of our young players. The effects of Franklin's amazing recruiting was not going to be seen on the field this year or maybe even next year. Two years from now is when you'll see it's full impact.

Reactions: step.eng69
It's not based on this game. It's just that now you can start to see glimpses of the talent of our young players. The effects of Franklin's amazing recruiting was not going to be seen on the field this year or maybe even next year. Two years from now is when you'll see it's full impact.
A couple of kids have good games vs a very bad team? Amazing what a 13 point win will do. Top 30 recruiting classes do not guarantee much except you have a shot to be a top 30 tram instead of a top 100 team.

I just said it's not based on one game, but you totally missed that point. The young talent will not be denied.

A couple of kids have good games vs a very bad team? Amazing what a 13 point win will do. Top 30 recruiting classes do not guarantee much except you have a shot to be a top 30 tram instead of a top 100 team.

The gap between lynch and barkley was obvious. Lynch played last year as well

No doubt, Barkley and Polk are the absolute REAL DEAL - you can see it in how they immediately generate separation on the edge against D-1A defenders. That's impressive - you can also see it in Barkley's burst at the hole. These guys are just the tip of the iceberg and I would disagree with you, now that these guys are on the field, they are not coming off. PSU is going to get better & better as the year goes along.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I just said it's not based on one game, but you totally missed that point. The young talent will not be denied.

I'm also high on Barkley and it IS from this game. Not because he was more productive than Lynch, but because, at least according to the announcers, he was over with the oline when they were on the sidelines getting in sync with them.

That's uncommon maturity for a true freshman, and accomplishes two important things. First, it simply helps on a basic football level to make the most of what the offense can do by getting everyone on the same page. Second, and IMO more importantly, it lets the linemen know that he's invested in their success. That's a strong bond to have with the guys who are blocking for you, and will pay dividends down the road.

I'm also high on Barkley and it IS from this game. Not because he was more productive than Lynch, but because, at least according to the announcers, he was over with the oline when they were on the sidelines getting in sync with them.

That's uncommon maturity for a true freshman, and accomplishes two important things. First, it simply helps on a basic football level to make the most of what the offense can do by getting everyone on the same page. Second, and IMO more importantly, it lets the linemen know that he's invested in their success. That's a strong bond to have with the guys who are blocking for you, and will pay dividends down the road.

Sa Sa was a true teammate in high school. It is rare when parents of other kids aren't a bit jealous and negative toward the biggest star player. NOBODY had a bad word to say about him. I give the head coach a lot of credit for that. He really believes in team and team building and supporting one another.

Geez, a win over Buffalo calls for excitement. Appreciated the enthusiasm, but let's not jump the gun here.

There is plenty of stuff to be negative about with this team and the performance over the first two games. If you can't see that Barkley brings something special to the RB position then you aren't watching the same game as the rest of us.

There is plenty of stuff to be negative about with this team and the performance over the first two games. If you can't see that Barkley brings something special to the RB position then you aren't watching the same game as the rest of us.

Barkley can be a factor if this staff is willing to make him the starter. Are they?

Because he is clearly a difference maker.

It'll take another 2 or 3 losses before the staff bites the bullet and starts him.

Barkley can be a factor if this staff is willing to make him the starter. Are they?

It'll take another 2 or 3 losses before the staff bites the bullet and starts him.
Barkley can be a factor whether he starts or not. He was definitely a factor today and he didn't start.
I anticipate Lynch will probably start games for a while, but Barkley will get plenty of touches. Probably more than Lynch.

I have to ask why is the staff just learning that Barkley is this good in the fourth quarter of the second game, or that reeder is that good, or how did they not know Palmer wasn't ready?? Real questions that they should answer.

Yeah, I suggested over the summer that Nelson move to LT. This is the second most important position on the team, behind the QB. It seems that the coaches believe that LT is some unique skill set that separates it from RT and all other OL positions. While you typically want your most athletic and large framed guys at LT, not if they are the least capable linemen on the team. I would think, for example, that Jeff Hartings would have been a much better LT than Palmer or any of the kids listed on the LT depth chart this year.

I have to ask why is the staff just learning that Barkley is this good in the fourth quarter of the second game, or that reeder is that good, or how did they not know Palmer wasn't ready?? Real questions that they should answer.
Can't blame staff for this one. Most staffs don't throw true freshmen to the wolves right away. It'll be interesting to see how much #26's ability to hit holes a half step quicker than #22 ultimately helps the OL.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Barkley played his first game as a true freshman and was a key cog in his second game. The staff really blew that one. Who should Reeder started in place of last week?

Polk every bit as exciting as Barkley - both are Fr.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Polk every bit as exciting as Barkley

Yeah, and you can't teach what they have. This is what that midget from the beltway (transferred to Marshall) was supposed to do a few years ago... he couldn't convert track speed to football plays.

Urban Meyer better enjoy his brief window of winning the shitty B1G. This PSU team is loaded for the next 4 years.

It also makes a big difference when you're entire running game is only out of shotgun or pistol like every play you run. Under center handing the ball off to a RB gaining momentum running downhill a lot closer to the LOS makes it significantly easier and helps the passing game a lot when it's effective since the LB's diagnose a run much quicker out of shotgun so most RB's will find a LB waiting to stuff the hole by the time they get there from the backfield. LB's can't anticipate run under center too quickly for fear of play action. Add in the huge difference we saw in the explosiveness and speed difference we saw in Barkley vs. Lynch and the OL just might be able to hold their blocks long enough to have an effective ground game now and they don't have to do a thing differently. That's the best and most effective way to improve your OL and help your passing game at the same time. I don't care who you play Buffalo or Alabama, when LB's and DB's along with D coordinators can't anticipate a pass every play and are forced to adjust to stop the run it makes it allows your WR's and TE's to take advantage of the slightest hesitation to get open. The opponent had no impact in how fast Barkley hit the whole nor his ability to leapfrog a defender 4 feet and remain balanced and in stride so naturally. He will be just as fast and explosive whether you play Buffalo or Ohio State. Now that doesn't guarantee success but it really increases your odds and gives you something to at least get excited about and above all some hope.

Last edited:
All I know is the offense actually moved the ball with Barkely in. It was very hard watching Lynch crawl towards the holes. Speed difference in the offense with just one player was night and day.
this^^^^^^^^ Barkley and Polk are 2 guys that when they touch the ball you can see the speed difference and it is VERY BIG DIFFERENCE. That is what we need right now...put the speed on the field.

Also like to see Thomkins and/or Polk play a role in the passing game as true slot receivers even if it's just on WR screens to start. I'd imagine trying to bring down one of those two speedsters in open space would be significantly harder than Lewis or Hamilton even if they can't break tackles quite as well because every time they touch the ball there's chance for the big play. And in the slot running routes I'd imagine it wouldn't just create mismatches, but that they'd also be able to get open more effectively with speed that can't often be matched

Sometimes, seniors have to be developed early. Heart, determination, and willingness to take your lumps are all attributes of senior leadership. Depths of maturity are the wheat, the seed if you will. Sometime awhile back after a losing season and a slowly maturing team the following season, a lot of people/players had to sit, so the seeds of seniorness could be sown and taught to the underclassmen. From that arose the beginnings of a grand idea, and new defensive ideas from an ex-qb. This is the year that senioritis most be sown by those who wish to continue the manifest destiny of this program. This is not an easy task after the spreading of toxin across the land. But there are signs of sprouts. These must be nurtured and watered and staked, given support and shown the sunshine. Try anything, balls out, go for it. Torpedoes be damned. Seniors need to be developed now, skip a few classes, play the one's that show heart. Wear it on your sleeve. There are no rules right now.

for the glory, in his honor, we are
required, to develop seniors now

Can't blame staff for this one. Most staffs don't throw true freshmen to the wolves right away. It'll be interesting to see how much #26's ability to hit holes a half step quicker than #22 ultimately helps the OL.

Barkley played his first game as a true freshman and was a key cog in his second game. The staff really blew that one. Who should Reeder started in place of last week?
What I am questioning is their ability to accurate evaluate the talent on the team. They couldn't see Barkleys extra half step in practice? Sickels and Nassib weren't running right by Palmer in practice? Why wasn't Reeder the next man up when Wartman-White went down? This isn't a rewards program where tenure is rewarded with playing time. This big time college football. They play to win the game and I damn well expect them too with the talent they have.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, as I am also looking ahead to 2-3 years down the road can this staff actually take us where we want to go? Offensively, no.

Now, with as bad as some of our competition looked today, maybe it isn't as bad as I thought and maybe Barkley can carry us to a respectable record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT