ADVERTISEMENT

The definitive SWIMMING POOL questions thread. UPDATE 6/13/18

5 lights seems to be real overkill unless building a huge pool. Here's a photo of mine with the lights on. One thing to consider with the lights is the direction you want them pointing. Ours are purposely pointed away from the house so that we see the nice lighting of the pool without seeing the light fixture as a hot spot in the water. Just a thought.

(BTW, ....how the hell do you imbed a photo on this site? I've tried placing a link to the photo on Dropbox and Drop.com into the imbed photo URL field but it just creates a broken photo link. Thanks for any advice.)

Yes, I want the lights pointed away from the house also. 5 might be overkill, so I'll again check with him.
As for photos, as long as you have your photo hosted on a website somewhere, simply providing the URL link within the "photo box" button on the rivals site should work???

Yes, I want the lights pointed away from the house also. 5 might be overkill, so I'll again check with him.
As for photos, as long as you have your photo hosted on a website somewhere, simply providing the URL link within the "photo box" button on the rivals site should work???

download

Got it.......thanks.....here ya go! You can see that if pointed towards our house (which is to the left in this photo) you would see the unsightly hot spots of the light fixtures. I can see that three might add a little but I think 5, especially if on one wall of the pool, may be a little much. I'm assuming he's installing the newer LED fixtures?

download

Got it.......thanks.....here ya go! You can see that if pointed towards our house (which is to the left in this photo) you would see the unsightly hot spots of the light fixtures. I can see that three might add a little but I think 5, especially if on one wall of the pool, may be a little much. I'm assuming he's installing the newer LED fixtures?

Very nice. Yah, I don’t want to stare at bright lights shining at me, that’s for sure. He is installing the newer LED lights.

Very nice. Yah, I don’t want to stare at bright lights shining at me, that’s for sure. He is installing the newer LED lights.

Very cool. I love the LED's. Another thing to consider, relating to the finish on the inside of your pool, if you haven't researched and looked at AquaBright, take a look. https://www.ecopoolfinish.com/aquabright/

We had AquaBright installed instead of plaster and absolutely love it. A little more expensive but some nice positives to it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Very cool. I love the LED's. Another thing to consider, relating to the finish on the inside of your pool, if you haven't researched and looked at AquaBright, take a look. https://www.ecopoolfinish.com/aquabright/

We had AquaBright installed instead of plaster and absolutely love it. A little more expensive but some nice positives to it. If you have any questions, let me know.
He is quoting me Pebble Sheen finish.

Quick note on shallow water head first diving, It is considered the number one cause of paraplegic disability in the United States. Number two is falling from a horse. Be careful out there. I don't mean to put a damper on your fun, but at least now you know.

Quick note on shallow water head first diving, It is considered the number one cause of paraplegic disability in the United States. Number two is falling from a horse. Be careful out there. I don't mean to put a damper on your fun, but at least now you know.
I believe it. Scary. If I catch anyone diving in the down direction and not the “out” direction, they will lose pool privileges pronto.

Bleach & borax are basically the only chemicals needed and that advice will save you a thousand dollars a year, probably.

Hi all. As many of you know, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on installing a new in-ground swimming pool. I've started a few threads in the past asking some questions (such as concrete vs paver decking, vinyl vs shotcrete pool, etc), but knowing I'll have a lot of questions going forward, I'm starting a new thread and will keep all future questions within this single thread. As I have more questions, I'll simply ask them here and change the date in the title when appropriate. Feel free to share your opinion on all topics or just the ones you are knowledgable about. Thanks!

To get started, this pool is for my family of 5, which includes 3 kids ages 8-13.
I have decided on my pool builder (PB), and also decided on a shotcrete pool with paver decking. Everything else is up in the air. So, here we go....

POOL SHAPE
Free form vs traditional rectangular. Since I'm doing a concrete pool, I can do any shape I want. I'm not limited to a prefab design, so the sky is the limit. That being said, although I like the look and feel of a resort style free form pool, I think I prefer the functionality of the traditional rectangular pool. I only say this because I grew up with a rectangular pool, and most of my swimming experience is in a rectangular pool. Free form pools always look resort-like and beautiful, but they also always look and feel small. I'm leaning towards rectangular, but would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

TANNING LEDGE
We do NOT want a tanning ledge that is incorporated WITHIN the main structure of the pool, as we feel it chews up valuable real estate. If we do add one, it will be additional square footage on the outside of the main pool structure with steps included for pool access- like this....
Rectangular-Pool-Sizes-Home.jpg

Question is- is it worth the added cost? The depth would be about 12-14" and it would be for chilling out and relaxing, but still staying in the water. For those that have them or have used them, are they worth it? Do you find yourself using it all the time, or rarely using it?

POOL DEPTH
We are debating between the traditional shallow and semi-deep end (4'- 6.5') vs sports pool (3.5' - 5'- 4'). Basically, the sports pool is shallow on both ends and deeper in the middle. It sets up nicely for volleyball and basketball games. From what I've been hearing with traditional shallow/deep end pools, after 30 minutes of swimming, almost everyone gets tired of the deep end and they gravitate to the shallow end. So many people are forgoing the deep end in their pool designs these days. I grew up with a 3.5' - 8.5' pool with diving board. My new pool will NOT have a diving board, but it will have a raised bond beam wall (due to the slope in my yard), which will run the entire length of the pool and will be 2' off the water. So the kids will have a ledge to jump off for cannonballs, etc. I know 6.5' in not a diving depth pool, but for properly trained kids, it's still enough to "shallow dive" in and retrieve dive toys from the bottom of the pool. If we do a shallow/deep end, the deep end will have some bench seating incorporated within the structure of the pool. Thoughts on the depth layout?

POOL HEATER
To heat or not to heat? This is in NC, and I figure a heater will extend the season by 2 months, April to October. If "yes" to a heater, the question is gas vs electric heat pump. Gas is cheaper up front, but electric is suppose to be cheaper and more efficient to operate. Plus, the heat pump can be reversed and give you a "chill feature" when the water gets too hot.

SPA or NO SPA
We have decided to NOT add a spa to our pool. Of course, if we did, it would resolve the "heater question".
Although we love the look of the spa, we don't think it's worth the extra $10K+. Our thought is, if we want a spa, we can buy a nice hot tub with comfortable contoured fiberglass seating and a multitude of jets rather than a circular concrete bench with a few jets in it. Am I wrong for thinking this? Am I missing out on a spectacular must-have feature?
Pool-with-attached-raised-spa_Aquatech-Bakers-Pool-Service.jpg

RETAINING WALL vs RAISED BOND BEAM WALL
As I mentioned perviously, the slope of my yard requires a wall of some nature to keep runoff water out of the pool. A raised beam bond wall is the cheapest and allows for water features such as sheer decent waterfalls. It also provides a ledge for the kids to jump off. However, my only concern is that you really can't exit the pool from the side with the raised wall. Instead of a raised wall, I can build a retaining wall several feet behind the pool, but it is more expensive (more labor because it's not part of the swimming pool's concrete wall). Also, with a retaining wall, I lose the ability for waterfall features and a jumping ledge. Is my concern of not being able to exit the pool on the wall side a worthy concern (to spend more for a retaining wall and lose my water fall features), or am I being overly concerned?
65b1b512d1aa3a93a787db6f54aa235d.jpg

INLINE CHLORINATOR vs SALT WATER POOL
This topic is self explanatory. I've heard mixed reviews as to the dependability and salt water long term. My PB says salt water chlorinators are his biggest warranty item by far. Which do you prefer and why?

It's been a little while, but we finally broke ground on our swimming pool yesterday. I wanted to give an update and ask another question or 2.

First, an update. What did we go with?

POOL TYPE & DECKING
Shotcrete and paver decking with travertine coping.

POOL SHAPE
We went with traditional rectangular pool that is 34' x 18'.

TANNING LEDGE
The pool has a 9' x 9' cutout with tanning ledge and incorporated steps that enter the pool from the tanning ledge.

POOL DEPTH
We strongly considered a sports pool, but after much deliberation, we went with a 3.5' x 6.5' pool. The tanning ledge will have 9" of water.

POOL HEATER
We decided to heat/cool the pool with a heat pump. It was a hard decision, but at the end of the day, the thought of cooling the pool on those dog days of summer won out. The other reason we didn't go with gas heat is because we didn't need to, because....

SPA
....we didn't go with the spa. As much as we wanted to, I couldn't justify another $10+K for the project. If I want a hot tub, I'll add one later.

RETAINING WALL vs RAISED BOND BEAM WALL

We originally planned on a raised bond beam for the far long side of the pool, but decided against it since I wanted one flat surface to walk around the pool without steps, and I wanted to exit the pool from anywhere. However, I was disappointed to lose the wall's water descent feature. So we compromised and did a retaining wall AND partial raised bond beam wall on the deep end of the pool. It is only 8 feet long with a stepped ledge 8 inches high and 16 inches high (think Olympic medal podium). It will also have a 3' long water descent in it.

INLINE CHLORINATOR vs SALT WATER POOL

We struggled with this one, not from cost but from usability and dependability. But then my pool builder made it easy. The inline chlorinator is only $250 compared to the $1K for salt. So we did both, because that is what my pool builder did at his personal pool.

So my next question is in regards to pool color.

We are getting the upgraded color option of Pebble Sheen.

http://www.pebbletec.com/browse-our-products/pool-finishes/pebble-sheen/

I'm debating between Ocean Blue and Prism Blue, but not married to only those 2 options.

My first instinct is to get a light color because I'm that paranoid guy at the pool always scanning it looking for sunken bodies. But the more I see somewhat darker colors, I like them. They look great and really hide that little bit of dirt the pool accumulates in-between cleanings. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

So my next question is in regards to pool color.

We are getting the upgraded color option of Pebble Sheen.

http://www.pebbletec.com/browse-our-products/pool-finishes/pebble-sheen/

I'm debating between Ocean Blue and Prism Blue, but not married to only those 2 options.

My first instinct is to get a light color because I'm that paranoid guy at the pool always scanning it looking for sunken bodies. But the more I see somewhat darker colors, I like them. They look great and really hide that little bit of dirt the pool accumulates in-between cleanings. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds great!

I’m about two weeks away from being able to go In the water in my pool. Plaster was done last Wednesday and water went in immediately after, which is part of the curing process. Plaster finish is swept every day for two weeks and the residue that comes up is directed toward the drains that connect to the filter. Salt doesn’t get introduced for another two weeks after that...again, part of the curing process.

Went with a light gray plaster. The calcium mottling is occurring, which I was warned about, but I actually like the appearance. Just couldn’t justify another $13K for pebbletec. Hope I don’t regret that decision.

Dark colors.

Have a BWI pool party. Just let us know what time the lord open.
Dark colors.

Have a BWI pool party. Just let us know what time the lord open.
I like dark colors, but I also want it to “pop” during the daytime. Darker pool colors are more natural looking and blend more. I think lighter colors pop more.
I’ll be sending invites soon :D

Last edited:
Sounds great!

I’m about two weeks away from being able to go In the water in my pool. Plaster was done last Wednesday and water went in immediately after, which is part of the curing process. Plaster finish is swept every day for two weeks and the residue that comes up is directed toward the drains that connect to the filter. Salt doesn’t get introduced for another two weeks after that...again, part of the curing process.

Went with a light gray plaster. The calcium mottling is occurring, which I was warned about, but I actually like the appearance. Just couldn’t justify another $13K for pebbletec. Hope I don’t regret that decision.
Nice. Congrats!
I’m not sure if I have a waiting period or not??? I hope not. I’ll have to ask tomorrow. PB started and finished the excavation yesterday and started rebar today. Will finish rebar and plumbing stub tomorrow and shoot concrete on Friday.
What color does the light gray make the water?

How much can the water temperature be lowered with the chill feature?
That’s a great question- I don’t know. I figure you probably don’t have a need to go too low. A few degrees would do the trick on a hot day. I’ll havw to ask.

I went in my pool today. I expect to see my balls again in August.
Hahaha!!! It’s nothinf but straight mid to high 90’s here for the next 10 days. I wish it’d be done, but it’ll be nice to kno it’ll be done soon.

A funny thing has happened. A few neighborhood kids who my kids “grew apart” from have started reaching out and refriending them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT