ADVERTISEMENT

The definitive SWIMMING POOL questions thread. UPDATE 6/13/18

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
Hi all. As many of you know, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on installing a new in-ground swimming pool. I've started a few threads in the past asking some questions (such as concrete vs paver decking, vinyl vs shotcrete pool, etc), but knowing I'll have a lot of questions going forward, I'm starting a new thread and will keep all future questions within this single thread. As I have more questions, I'll simply ask them here and change the date in the title when appropriate. Feel free to share your opinion on all topics or just the ones you are knowledgable about. Thanks!

To get started, this pool is for my family of 5, which includes 3 kids ages 8-13.
I have decided on my pool builder (PB), and also decided on a shotcrete pool with paver decking. Everything else is up in the air. So, here we go....

POOL SHAPE
Free form vs traditional rectangular. Since I'm doing a concrete pool, I can do any shape I want. I'm not limited to a prefab design, so the sky is the limit. That being said, although I like the look and feel of a resort style free form pool, I think I prefer the functionality of the traditional rectangular pool. I only say this because I grew up with a rectangular pool, and most of my swimming experience is in a rectangular pool. Free form pools always look resort-like and beautiful, but they also always look and feel small. I'm leaning towards rectangular, but would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

TANNING LEDGE
We do NOT want a tanning ledge that is incorporated WITHIN the main structure of the pool, as we feel it chews up valuable real estate. If we do add one, it will be additional square footage on the outside of the main pool structure with steps included for pool access- like this....
Rectangular-Pool-Sizes-Home.jpg

Question is- is it worth the added cost? The depth would be about 12-14" and it would be for chilling out and relaxing, but still staying in the water. For those that have them or have used them, are they worth it? Do you find yourself using it all the time, or rarely using it?

POOL DEPTH
We are debating between the traditional shallow and semi-deep end (4'- 6.5') vs sports pool (3.5' - 5'- 4'). Basically, the sports pool is shallow on both ends and deeper in the middle. It sets up nicely for volleyball and basketball games. From what I've been hearing with traditional shallow/deep end pools, after 30 minutes of swimming, almost everyone gets tired of the deep end and they gravitate to the shallow end. So many people are forgoing the deep end in their pool designs these days. I grew up with a 3.5' - 8.5' pool with diving board. My new pool will NOT have a diving board, but it will have a raised bond beam wall (due to the slope in my yard), which will run the entire length of the pool and will be 2' off the water. So the kids will have a ledge to jump off for cannonballs, etc. I know 6.5' in not a diving depth pool, but for properly trained kids, it's still enough to "shallow dive" in and retrieve dive toys from the bottom of the pool. If we do a shallow/deep end, the deep end will have some bench seating incorporated within the structure of the pool. Thoughts on the depth layout?

POOL HEATER
To heat or not to heat? This is in NC, and I figure a heater will extend the season by 2 months, April to October. If "yes" to a heater, the question is gas vs electric heat pump. Gas is cheaper up front, but electric is suppose to be cheaper and more efficient to operate. Plus, the heat pump can be reversed and give you a "chill feature" when the water gets too hot.

SPA or NO SPA
We have decided to NOT add a spa to our pool. Of course, if we did, it would resolve the "heater question".
Although we love the look of the spa, we don't think it's worth the extra $10K+. Our thought is, if we want a spa, we can buy a nice hot tub with comfortable contoured fiberglass seating and a multitude of jets rather than a circular concrete bench with a few jets in it. Am I wrong for thinking this? Am I missing out on a spectacular must-have feature?
Pool-with-attached-raised-spa_Aquatech-Bakers-Pool-Service.jpg

RETAINING WALL vs RAISED BOND BEAM WALL
As I mentioned perviously, the slope of my yard requires a wall of some nature to keep runoff water out of the pool. A raised beam bond wall is the cheapest and allows for water features such as sheer decent waterfalls. It also provides a ledge for the kids to jump off. However, my only concern is that you really can't exit the pool from the side with the raised wall. Instead of a raised wall, I can build a retaining wall several feet behind the pool, but it is more expensive (more labor because it's not part of the swimming pool's concrete wall). Also, with a retaining wall, I lose the ability for waterfall features and a jumping ledge. Is my concern of not being able to exit the pool on the wall side a worthy concern (to spend more for a retaining wall and lose my water fall features), or am I being overly concerned?
65b1b512d1aa3a93a787db6f54aa235d.jpg

INLINE CHLORINATOR vs SALT WATER POOL
This topic is self explanatory. I've heard mixed reviews as to the dependability and salt water long term. My PB says salt water chlorinators are his biggest warranty item by far. Which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
Everyone I've known who had a pool with a spa ended up using the spa section of the pool more than the pool itself. That includes myself and my friends when we were kids.

My parents currently have neighbors with a pool that contains a spa and that's the only part they ever see them use. That includes their now college age kids.

The spa was easy to keep warm and with the benches we hung out there all the time. This was in New Jersey where obviously the weather is colder so the same may not apply to North Carolina.

Hi all. As many of you know, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on installing a new in-ground swimming pool. I've started a few threads in the past asking some questions (such as concrete vs paver decking, vinyl vs shotcrete pool, etc), but knowing I'll have a lot of questions going forward, I'm starting a new thread and will keep all future questions within this single thread. As I have more questions, I'll simply ask them here and change the date in the title when appropriate. Feel free to share your opinion on all topics or just the ones you are knowledgable about. Thanks!

To get started, this pool is for my family of 5, which includes 3 kids ages 8-13.
I have decided on my pool builder (PB), and also decided on a shotcrete pool with paver decking. Everything else is up in the air. So, here we go....

POOL SHAPE
Free form vs traditional rectangular. Since I'm doing a concrete pool, I can do any shape I want. I'm not limited to a prefab design, so the sky is the limit. That being said, although I like the look and feel of a resort style free form pool, I think I prefer the functionality of the traditional rectangular pool. I only say this because I grew up with a rectangular pool, and most of my swimming experience is in a rectangular pool. Free form pools always look resort-like and beautiful, but they also always look and feel small. I'm leaning towards rectangular, but would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

TANNING LEDGE
We do NOT want a tanning ledge that is incorporated WITHIN the main structure of the pool, as we feel it chews up valuable real estate. If we do add one, it will be additional square footage on the outside of the main pool structure with steps included for pool access- like this....

Question is- is it worth the added cost? The depth would be about 12-14" and it would be for chilling out and relaxing, but still staying in the water. For those that have them or have used them, are they worth it? Do you find yourself using it all the time, or rarely using it?

POOL DEPTH
We are debating between the traditional shallow and semi-deep end (4'- 6.5') vs sports pool (3.5' - 5'- 4'). Basically, the sports pool is shallow on both ends and deeper in the middle. It sets up nicely for volleyball and basketball games. From what I've been hearing with traditional shallow/deep end pools, after 30 minutes of swimming, almost everyone gets tired of the deep end and they gravitate to the shallow end. So many people are forgoing the deep end in their pool designs these days. I grew up with a 3.5' - 8.5' pool with diving board. My new pool will NOT have a diving board, but it will have a raised bond beam wall (due to the slope in my yard), which will run the entire length of the pool and will be 2' off the water. So the kids will have a ledge to jump off for cannonballs, etc. I know 6.5' in not a diving depth pool, but for properly trained kids, it's still enough to "shallow dive" in and retrieve dive toys from the bottom of the pool. If we do a shallow/deep end, the deep end will have some bench seating incorporated within the structure of the pool. Thoughts on the depth layout?

POOL HEATER
To heat or not to heat? This is in NC, and I figure a heater will extend the season by 2 months, April to October. If "yes" to a heater, the question is gas vs electric heat pump. Gas is cheaper up front, but electric is suppose to be cheaper and more efficient to operate. Plus, the heat pump can be reversed and give you a "chill feature" when the water gets too hot.

SPA or NO SPA
We have decided to NOT add a spa to our pool. Of course, if we did, it would resolve the "heater question".
Although we love the look of the spa, we don't think it's worth the extra $10K+. Our thought is, if we want a spa, we can buy a nice hot tub with comfortable contoured fiberglass seating and a multitude of jets rather than a circular concrete bench with a few jets in it. Am I wrong for thinking this? Am I missing out on a spectacular must-have feature?

As I mentioned perviously, the slope of my yard requires a wall of some nature to keep runoff water out of the pool. A raised beam bond wall is the cheapest and allows for water features such as sheer decent waterfalls. It also provides a ledge for the kids to jump off. However, my only concern is that you really can't exit the pool from the side with the raised wall. Instead of a raised wall, I can build a retaining wall several feet behind the pool, but it is more expensive (more labor because it's not part of the swimming pool's concrete wall). Also, with a retaining wall, I lose the ability for waterfall features and a jumping ledge. Is my concern of not being able to exit the pool on the wall side a worthy concern (to spend more for a retaining wall and lose my water fall features), or am I being overly concerned?

Get a Raypak gas heater. Install the spa, you will use it more than you can imagine. MAKE SURE IT IS SALT WATER - AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!! Family has been in the pool business almost seventy years. Considered one of best builders of custom pools in the East. Salt water is 1000 times better. Raypak best pool heaters made.

Everyone I've known who had a pool with a spa ended up using the spa section of the pool more than the pool itself. That includes myself and my friends when we were kids.

My parents currently have neighbors with a pool that contains a spa and that's the only part they ever see them use. That includes their now college age kids.

The spa was easy to keep warm and with the benches we hung out there all the time. This was in New Jersey where obviously the weather is colder so the same may not apply to North Carolina.

Which makes me think my original thought is correct on a spa. If I want a spa, get a standalone hot tub.

JMO on pool Heaters:

The good: not sure where you are located, but having one will increase the length of days that you use the pool. This will make people around you happy and you will be outside more often.

The bad: you need to really heat the pool, like 85 degrees plus, to use it around late fall or early spring. This causes two issues: 1) the pool looses a ton of water and 2) it takes a long time to get the temperature up. So, you either have to plan your pool days well in advance or you keep the heater running continually. In the early days, I was the recipient of disapproving stares from wife and kids who wanted to take an impromptu dip in the pool, only to find out that I had turned the heater off because no one had gone in for 8 days straight.

Last edited:
Get a Raypak gas heater. Install the spa, you will use it more than you can imagine. MAKE SURE IT IS SALT WATER - AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!! Family has been in the pool business almost seventy years. Considered one of best builders of custom pools in the East. Salt water is 1000 times better. Raypak best pool heaters made.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have an issue with a spa in general, but would I use a custom pool spa more than a standalone hot tub spa? I've been leaning towards salt water, but just started reading a bit about long term issues. ThanksDrJC.

Free form pools are more attractive. If you have a wooded lot they can be created to look like a pond.

If not and assuming your house is square or has a lot of square edges then a free form pool adds visual texture to your backyard.

Saw one that sloped from grade to 11 feet. The owner had put in two lounge chairs in the shallow end. Mostly used by moms watching their young kids.

Last edited:
JMO on pool Heaters:

The good: not sure where you are located, but having one will increase the length of days that you use the pool. This will make people around you happy and you will be outside more often.

The bad: you need to really heat the pool, like 85 degrees plus, to use it around late fall or early spring. This causes two issues: 1) the pool looses a ton of water and 2) it takes a long time to get the temperature up. So, you either have to plan your pool days well in advance or you keep the heater running continually. In the early days, I was the precipitant of disapproving stares from wife and kids who wanted to take an impromptu dip in the pool, only to find out that I had turned the heater off because no one had gone in for 8 days straight.
Lol, I hear you bio. My wife and kids would be the same way as I too would kill the gas heat if no one were using the pool. I think that is another reason to maybe consider heat pump. From my understanding, you use the expensive-to-operate gas to fire up the heat quickly but not to keep it heated long term. The heat pump takes much longer to heat, but is much more efficient and economical at running around the clock. I could be wrong.

Free form pools are more attractive. If you have a wooded lot they can be created to look like a pond.

If not and assuming your house is square or has a lot of square edges then a free form pool adds visual texture to your backyard.

Saw one that sloped from grade to 11 feet. The owner had put in two lounge chairs in the shallow end. Mostly used by moms watching their young kids.

Thx ro. I do not have a wooded lot, but I do have an irregular shaped 1/2 acre lot. That being said, the pool will be very close to and up against a very squared off house, deck, garage, and pool house. I do agree with you...the free form pools absolutely look better. They give you that resort lagoon feel. It's just the functionality I'm more worried about.

Which makes me think my original thought is correct on a spa. If I want a spa, get a standalone hot tub.

Unless you plan on putting the hot tub right on the edge of the pool it wouldn’t be used the way we always used it as kids. Quick jump in the cold pool and then climb over the wall into the spa without even leaving the water. Repeat.

I think a hot tub 30 feet away would be a different experience.

POOL SHAPE

TANNING LEDGE

POOL DEPTH

POOL HEATER

SPA or NO SPA

INLINE CHLORINATOR vs SALT WATER POOL
This topic is self explanatory. I've heard mixed reviews as to the dependability and salt water long term. My PB says salt water chlorinators are his biggest warranty item by far. Which do you prefer and why?
As a current owner of 2 pools & 8 total in my lifetime, I have some opinions on this subject. As background, I've had 4 gunite pools (all in TX), 3 with OBX houses (2 fiberglass; 1 liner) & a current liner pool at our PA house. You've certainly made the right choice with gunite... I don't know why anyone in their right mind would do a liner pool. I have 2 currently only because they already existed in homes we bought. Liners don't last long & they're big $ to replace. As for a heater, I don't think it's necessary or practical, unless you do an integrated hot tub. And if I were you, I'd seriously consider the integrated hot tub. Perhaps you could size down the pool or decking area a bit to help in funding the hot tub.

Highly recommend a salt water system vs in line chlorinater. Much cheaper to maintain & the water feels so much better on your skin. Shape of pool certainly personal preference, but I'm a much bigger fan of free form designs. They simply look better & more inviting & the look enhanced even more if you have an elevated hot tub in one of the corners. I realize it's more $, but some form of rock formation with waterfall is very cool (& soothing to listen to). We had that with 2 of our TX pools. Lastly, it may also cost a bit more, but flagstone coping adds a nice touch (vs traditional brick), especially if adding some rock & water feature.

my friend has a pool with a tanning ledge, personally I love that thing, much easier to wade into the deep end than plunge, that is where most of the adults spent their time. As far as depth, they had a 'lap pool' lane, that is part of the pool was made to swim laps so it had a constant depth but did not have its own 'wall' to separate it from the main pool. If you are lap swimmer something to consider.
Now the spa, I would definitely go for one attached to the pool, just my opinion.

I have an integrated spa and I agree with others, it gets used more than the pool, especially at night with teenagers, even when the weather is warm. Of course, I think a standalone hot tub would be just as popular, as you suggest.

I don't think anyone has addressed your question about the wall. I have a friend who's pool is right up against her house (I'm not sure how she got that approved. You cannot exit the pool on that side and it isn't an issue at all. Unless there is a reason to get out of the pool on that side (like to get balls that fly out of the pool or to get to some other part of the yard), it won't be a problem. It sounds like you must have a hill there so there probably isn't a reason to get out on that side.

I had a free form pool with grey plaster so that it looked more like a pond when filled with water. The darker plaster also provided about a 2 degree solar gain over my next door neighbor's standard pool.

I do not believe that the lack of exit against a raised beam wall would be a major hinderance in a backyard pool, and is outweighed by the advantage of a water feature which makes the pool more attractive even when not in use.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.

Unless you plan on putting the hot tub right on the edge of the pool it wouldn’t be used the way we always used it as kids. Quick jump in the cold pool and then climb over the wall into the spa without even leaving the water. Repeat.

I think a hot tub 30 feet away would be a different experience.

Agreed, the hot tub 30' away is a different experience. Damn, as much as I'd love one, the extra $12K right now isn't in the budget. It sucks having to cut things out of a project to save money. Also, I wonder if the in/out back and forth of pool/spa use would be as frequent in NC as it is in NJ or PA on cool summer nights? Simply put, we don't have cool summer nights, lol.

Agreed, the hot tub 30' away is a different experience. Damn, as much as I'd love one, the extra $12K right now isn't in the budget. It sucks having to cut things out of a project to save money. Also, I wonder if the in/out back and forth of pool/spa use would be as frequent in NC as it is in NJ or PA on cool summer nights? Simply put, we don't have cool summer nights, lol.
for the record, I just got back from the Caribbean, at the resort, they had the back forth set up with the pool and the hot tub, we used it all the time. Despite being hot outside, we did use the hot tube alot, and then roll into the pool to cool off, than roll back to the hot tub when you got cold in the pool!! great set up. Budget? that's for wussies!!! good luck!

As a current owner of 2 pools & 8 total in my lifetime, I have some opinions on this subject. As background, I've had 4 gunite pools (all in TX), 3 with OBX houses (2 fiberglass; 1 liner) & a current liner pool at our PA house. You've certainly made the right choice with gunite... I don't know why anyone in their right mind would do a liner pool. I have 2 currently only because they already existed in homes we bought. Liners don't last long & they're big $ to replace. As for a heater, I don't think it's necessary or practical, unless you do an integrated hot tub. And if I were you, I'd seriously consider the integrated hot tub. Perhaps you could size down the pool or decking area a bit to help in funding the hot tub.

Highly recommend a salt water system vs in line chlorinater. Much cheaper to maintain & the water feels so much better on your skin. Shape of pool certainly personal preference, but I'm a much bigger fan of free form designs. They simply look better & more inviting & the look enhanced even more if you have an elevated hot tub in one of the corners. I realize it's more $, but some form of rock formation with waterfall is very cool (& soothing to listen to). We had that with 2 of our TX pools. Lastly, it may also cost a bit more, but flagstone coping adds a nice touch (vs traditional brick), especially if adding some rock & water feature.

Great info PIL. Although, something tells me that you and I are playing in 2 different ballparks when it comes to budget, lol. I'm at a single A field in the suburbs of Memphis and you are in Yankee Stadium. Three OBX homes?!? Dang! Good for you.

I agree with you on the free form pool. It looks much better and seems to fit the environment better, giving the area a more resort-like feel. Also, I too think the salt water system is the way to go. Just worried a bit about maintaining it. Glad to hear you haven't had issues with them.

my friend has a pool with a tanning ledge, personally I love that thing, much easier to wade into the deep end than plunge, that is where most of the adults spent their time. As far as depth, they had a 'lap pool' lane, that is part of the pool was made to swim laps so it had a constant depth but did not have its own 'wall' to separate it from the main pool. If you are lap swimmer something to consider.
Now the spa, I would definitely go for one attached to the pool, just my opinion.
If we do a tanning ledge, it'll be off the shallow end. I'm not sure if I'm a lap swimmer yet, but I do hope that I can use the pool for exercise. Thanks for post!

I have an integrated spa and I agree with others, it gets used more than the pool, especially at night with teenagers, even when the weather is warm. Of course, I think a standalone hot tub would be just as popular, as you suggest.

I don't think anyone has addressed your question about the wall. I have a friend who's pool is right up against her house (I'm not sure how she got that approved. You cannot exit the pool on that side and it isn't an issue at all. Unless there is a reason to get out of the pool on that side (like to get balls that fly out of the pool or to get to some other part of the yard), it won't be a problem. It sounds like you must have a hill there so there probably isn't a reason to get out on that side.

Man, I was really hoping to hear from everyone that the spa was a waste of money, lol. As I said before, maybe now I just need to convince myself that y'all need it more up north than I would in NC ;). I'm trying to trim the budget, not grow it. :D

As for my wall, glad to hear the lack of exit on one side isn't an issue. Thx for addressing it.

I had a free form pool with grey plaster so that it looked more like a pond when filled with water. The darker plaster also provided about a 2 degree solar gain over my next door neighbor's standard pool.

I do not believe that the lack of exit against a raised beam wall would be a major hinderance in a backyard pool, and is outweighed by the advantage of a water feature which makes the pool more attractive even when not in use.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.

Thx Clem. I like the look of the darker pool color, but it scares me for 2 reasons. First, like you said, it retains more heat which I'm not sure I want in NC. Second, when at a pool party, I am that guy that is ALWAYS scanning the pool to make sure there are no kids "floating" at the bottom of the pool. I want to be able to recognize a bad situation quickly and I think a traditional pool color will allow for that.

The pool design we are looking at has three 2' sheer water fall descents. I too think, not only will it look great, but will sound great too!

Last edited:
Budget? that's for wussies!!! good luck!

Well, to help me out with budget, I am offering lifetime limited memberships to my new backyard oasis! For the low low price of just $1999, you too can have limited lifetime access to my pool! Add $499 for each family member, and they too can have limited lifetime membership! Act now, as this rate won't last long and availability is very limited.

Great info PIL. Although, something tells me that you and I are playing in 2 different ballparks when it comes to budget, lol. I'm at a single A field in the suburbs of Memphis and you are in Yankee Stadium. Three OBX homes?!? Dang! Good for you.

I agree with you on the free form pool. It looks much better and seems to fit the environment better, giving the area a more resort-like feel. Also, I too think the salt water system is the way to go. Just worried a bit about maintaining it. Glad to hear you haven't had issues with them.
Over the years, have had 3 OBX homes, but only have 1 currently. My Lions Den handle (Pine Island Lion) the result of 1st home we purchased in OBX (Pine Island in Corolla) back in 2000. The current home we have is in The Currituck Club in Corolla...just spent $3200 for another liner replacement (3rd since 2005). If there was a way to economically convert the pool from liner to gunite, I'd do it!

I have a pool in MD that is a lazy L shape. If you are going to use a solar cover either to keep in heat or prevent evaporation, keep in mind that an irregular shape will be more work to cover and you probably cant use a reel. The solar cover is the single biggest reason we dont use the pool as much (takes 2 to remove) now that the kids have fled. I have also heard that pool cleaners (bots etc) do not work as well in irregular shapes but I have no direct experience of that.

Over the years, have had 3 OBX homes, but only have 1 currently. My Lions Den handle (Pine Island Lion) the result of 1st home we purchased in OBX (Pine Island in Corolla) back in 2000. The current home we have is in The Currituck Club in Corolla...just spent $3200 for another liner replacement (3rd since 2005). If there was a way to economically convert the pool from liner to gunite, I'd do it!
Holy crap? 3 liner replacements since 2005? I've always heard 7-10 years on those?

I have a pool in MD that is a lazy L shape. If you are going to use a solar cover either to keep in heat or prevent evaporation, keep in mind that an irregular shape will be more work to cover and you probably cant use a reel. The solar cover is the single biggest reason we dont use the pool as much (takes 2 to remove) now that the kids have fled. I have also heard that pool cleaners (bots etc) do not work as well in irregular shapes but I have no direct experience of that.
Good info MD. I don't think we would do a solar cover simply because I hate the thought of winding it in and out. Plus, I hate that it just sits in the way while using the pool. I've considered the automatic cover, but it is very expensive, and then it limits me to a completely rectangular pool with no tanning ledge (outside the main structure).

We have a rectangular and love it. Great for hosting parties ... great for kids to play games in... just very efficient use of space. Classic clean look.

We did not do a spa. Not our thing. The waterfall feature can be nice and is also a white noise feature in your backyard.

Kids are going to dive in, no matter how much you tell them no. I would be afraid to do the shallow pool like you've described. Our kids spend a decent amount of time playing games in the deep end. Without it, the games would be way less fun.

I have a swim spa and it adds about $30-35/mo to my electric bill to run and heat (to 90 degrees) during the non-winter months, do you have guesstimates on much it will cost you to run and/or heat with or without a spa?

I am putting in a pool right now. My backyard is currently a construction site. Hoping to have it complete by mid-June. I modeled my pool and deck to look very similar to this (photo courtesy of EP Henry):

3_758-pool-deck-pavers.jpeg

These are the pavers I am using (EP Henry Sonoran). My pool is/will be rectangular just like this -16X32. I thought it was going to be on the smallish side, but now that I have the concrete shell in place and the patio around it, it seems quite large. I am also building a fire pit and bar on the deck using a gray-ish wall block. No spa/hot tub but I will have a sundeck in the square where you see the spa above. If you do elect to put in a sundeck, don't forget to have the concrete guy cast an umbrella holder into the deck.

My pool is gunite. I went with a plaster finish to save some cost, but would have loved to go with a pebbletec finish. Just couldn't justify another $12K.

I opted to go salt water - nicer on the skin and less maintenance but also adds a piece of equipment in the salt water generator.

My pool will be heated with an electric heat pump. I have no other option as I do not have natural gas or propane on my property. I'm total electric.

Think about where you want to put the ugly stuff -- the pool filter, heater, etc. I placed mine on the side of my house where they will be unseen. Need to figure that out so that the plumbing and electric can be run before you start the patio, etc.

Also think about landscaping, lighting.

One more thing....have some contingency built into your project budget. You will want to change/add something along the way.

I know NOTHING about any of this but is geothermal heating an option? Or are the initial costs too high?

Reactions: Psugraddad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT