The Catholic Priesthood

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
Disclaimer: I am not catholic, I did attend 12 years of catholic school the last four boarding school. I support the Catholic Church and its beliefs.

My understanding as to why Catholic priest could not marry goes back to medieval times regarding property transfers. I think it is time that the Church allows women and married people enter the priesthood. Can we try and keep any comments respectful. Whether you love or dislike the Church remember that although it has a flawed past it also has a past to be proud of.

Fayette_LION

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
Disclaimer: I am not catholic, I did attend 12 years of catholic school the last four boarding school. I support the Catholic Church and its beliefs.

My understanding as to why Catholic priest could not marry goes back to medieval times regarding property transfers. I think it is time that the Church allows women and married people enter the priesthood. Can we try and keep any comments respectful. Whether you love or dislike the Church remember that although it has a flawed past it also has a past to be proud of.
The Church needs to recognize that people are just that…….people and the men do have sexual desires whether or not they are a priest. They would do well to change these historic positions and allow priests to marry and also allow women to serve as priests. My minister and his wife and children were very much part of our church. I would say he did a very good job teaching everyone about the Lutheran religion Without the baggage created by the Catholic priests.

BW Lion

Apr 9, 2020
I was Christened as a youth, but I am not a Catholic. I'm currently unsure if I'm still a Christian (the origins, timing and disciple-based content of the Bible are suspect to me), but I strongly suspect the Catholic Church might be the world's largest and most influential cult in the history of mankind.

By marriage, I have Catholic worshipers in my "in-law family". They are the most misguided, obtuse people I am required to deal with 1x - 2x times per year. They cling to meaningless and inexplicable rituals. When you ask them "why", they have no answers other than "this is how I was taught" or "it's our religious customs". When challenged further, they shut down.

In my rare free time, I'm thinking about studying and perhaps becoming a Humanitarian. Felli might have been right in his choice.

P.S. I do believe in a "higher authority", but in which form, I don't know.

Last edited:

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
The Church needs to recognize that people are just that…….people and the men do have sexual desires whether or not they are a priest. They would do well to change these historic positions and allow priests to marry and also allow women to serve as priests. My minister and his wife and children were very much part of our church. I would say he did a very good job teaching everyone about the Lutheran religion Without the baggage created by the Catholic priests.
Please watch the movie St. Vincent starring Bill Murray. The definition of a Saint is brilliant.

Reactions: Fayette_LION

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
I was Christened as a youth, but I am not a Catholic. I'm currently unsure if I'm still a Christian (the origins, timing and disciple-based content of the Bible are suspect to me), but I strongly suspect the Catholic Church might be the world's largest and most influential cult in the history of mankind.

By marriage, I have Catholic worshipers in my "in-law family". They are the most misguided, obtuse people I am required to deal with 1x - 2x times per year.

In my rare free time, I'm thinking about studying and perhaps becoming a Humanitarian. Felli might have been right in his choice.

I am sorry you feel that way this thread was not to be a validation of the Catholic Church it was meant to be a discussion on the future of the priesthood. I hope you find you comfort level regarding religion

RoyalT12

Dec 3, 2020

And allow women priests . It’s a no brainer.

RoyalT12

Dec 3, 2020

By marriage, I have Catholic worshipers in my "in-law family". They are the most misguided, obtuse people I am required to deal with 1x - 2x times per year. They cling to meaningless and inexplicable rituals. When you ask them "why", they have no answers other than "this is how I was taught" or "it's our religious customs". When challenged further, they shut down.

I can assure you , you are not a Christian. You can’t worship Trump and Christ at the same time- mutually exclusive doctrines.

Jerry

May 29, 2001

TF, I'm Catholic and pretty knowledgeable on the doctrine and teaching related to your questions.

Personally, I agree with you on married priests. I think it's time to change that rule. Past time in fact.

In this sex-saturated age, it takes a very strong personality and exceptional degree of personal sanctity to live out celibacy vows.

Interestingly, there are married priests in the Church now. The Eastern Rite, for example, allows priests to marry. In addition, the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter was established to accommodate Anglican priests, to include those married, who wished to convert to Catholicism and retain their priestly ministries.

My wife and I frequently went to Mass at an Ordinariate parish in Maryland. Wonderful priest with several children. He made quite a splash with a pre-election sermon in 2020 basically advising his flock that one could not be a faithful Catholic and vote Democratic. Oh, the uproar! I think I may have posted his sermon here in fact.

As regards women, that's a totally different story. It can't happen for complex theological reasons. I won't go into them because your eyes would glaze over.

By the way, you may get a kick out of this: the pastor at our current parish is a former Naval officer. He was commissioned from the NROTC program at Notre Dame and spent 10 years in the Navy before becoming a priest. Great guy and solid as a rock.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019

I look at it as religion overly complicated, of course I'm a Lutheran BTW. I see a difference between a minister and priest and the organization of both. I see the Catholic church as that large organization that becomes about itself and not it's product.
I respect the traditions and I'm close in beliefs obviously with a little difference in dogma.

RoyalT12

Dec 3, 2020
Baby killing Dems are the reason many Catholics/Christians are Republicans.
One issue doesn’t make you a Christian. Republicans demand a woman has a baby then says now screw you - take care of it on your own. The hypocrisy of so called Christians who support candidates because they claim to be pro-life while ignoring those in need (and supporting the death penalty, can’t forget that little contradiction) is sickening. Good luck explaining that one at the pearly gates.

Reactions: NJPSU

RoyalT12

Dec 3, 2020
TF, I'm Catholic and pretty knowledgeable on the doctrine and teaching related to your questions.

Personally, I agree with you on married priests. I think it's time to change that rule. Past time in fact.

In this sex-saturated age, it takes a very strong personality and exceptional degree of personal sanctity to live out celibacy vows.

Interestingly, there are married priests in the Church now. The Eastern Rite, for example, allows priests to marry. In addition, the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter was established to accommodate Anglican priests, to include those married, who wished to convert to Catholicism and retain their priestly ministries.

My wife and I frequently went to Mass at an Ordinariate parish in Maryland. Wonderful priest with several children. He made quite a splash with a pre-election sermon in 2020 basically advising his flock that one could not be a faithful Catholic and vote Democratic. Oh, the uproar! I think I may have posted his sermon here in fact.

As regards women, that's a totally different story. It can't happen for complex theological reasons. I won't go into them because your eyes would glaze over.

By the way, you may get a kick out of this: the pastor at our current parish is a former Naval officer. He was commissioned from the NROTC program at Notre Dame and spent 10 years in the Navy before becoming a priest. Great guy and solid as a rock.
Complex theological reasons equals bull shit reasons. Other faiths do it. Are they all going to hell?

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020

Navy chaplains are a special breed of people/officers.

nitanee123

Nov 27, 2001

As a Catholic, I believe the Church has it correct. I believe the vocation to be among the most important and it is appropriately referred to as a "calling" for a reason. The demands of the priesthood would conflict with the duties of a husband/father. It wouldn't be fair to either family. If anything, I think the Church ought to try to attract more deacons.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
As a Catholic, I believe the Church has it correct. I believe the vocation to be among the most important and it is appropriately referred to as a "calling" for a reason. The demands of the priesthood would conflict with the duties of a husband/father. It wouldn't be fair to either family. If anything, I think the Church ought to try to attract more deacons.

Yup, I totally get where you're coming from because I used to hold that position too. Believe me, I did not change my view lightly.

In any case, it's an academic argument since there's pretty much zero chance that the rule is going to change.

I'll tell you this...the married-with-children Ordinariate pastor mentioned in my post above is one of the finest priests I've ever known and to my mind proves that it's possible, with the grace of God, to meet the challenges of both vocations.

I agree with you on the deacons, and in fact this definitely seems to be happening. In my experience, it's rare these days not to have a deacon on staff in a large parish. In fact, it's been over 30 years since I was a member of a parish that did not have at least one deacon.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Complex theological reasons equals bull shit reasons. Other faiths do it. Are they all going to hell?

Calm down, Royal. Nobody said anything about Hell.

By the way, you should capitalize Hell. It's an actual place...like Austin or Peoria.

The point is, the Catholic Church has a solid and ages-old theological basis for not ordaining women.

I won't go into it here because I doubt you'd be receptive...or even comprehending.

In any case, rest easy. If you go to Hell, it won't be because of female ministers but rather because you're a Democrat.

Haha! Sorry, man, couldn't resist...

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Baby killing Dems are the reason many Catholics/Christians are Republicans.
That’s such a cop out. If the parties suddenly flip flopped on that issue 99% of “Christian” Trumptards would remain in the Trump Cult.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
One issue doesn’t make you a Christian. Republicans demand a woman has a baby then says now screw you - take care of it on your own. The hypocrisy of so called Christians who support candidates because they claim to be pro-life while ignoring those in need (and supporting the death penalty, can’t forget that little contradiction) is sickening. Good luck explaining that one at the pearly gates.
You should stop looking the fool. Conservatives give far more than liberals. Your party attacks religious faith. What an ignorant fool you are. Paul specifically states he persecuted Christians with zeal. Acts, Galations, Philippians, and Corinthians are straight forward. You might want to learn before you announce such lies and ignorant nonsense.

Reactions: Jerry

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
That’s such a cop out. If the parties suddenly flip flopped on that issue 99% of “Christian” Trumptards would remain in the Trump Cult.
Based on what? Again, you have nothing to base this on. You're as ignorant as Troll12. Both of you are clueless.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Based on what? Again, you have nothing to base this on. You're as ignorant as Troll12. Both of you are clueless.
Based on how hypocritical Right Wing Christians are on other issues like the death penalty, supporting the poor and needy, supporting a man like Trump, etc.

Reactions: RoyalT12

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Based on how hypocritical Right Wing Christians are on other issues like the death penalty, supporting the poor and needy, supporting a man like Trump, etc.
Show it. The entire board is waiting for facts.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
I get, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You know nothing of history. Your party supported the death penalty, and supported the crime bill by Biden. I don't support the death penalty. Once again, you're ignorant and fos.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Name a single thing you do to support the poor? Can't wait. You only talk about you. I give hours upon hours and thousands of dollars. You?

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
This is sort of where I am. To Jerry's point, people (and particularly Protestants) should not confuse this with ironclad "doctrine" (or more specifically, sola scriptura doctrine). It is tradition, and like most Catholic tradition, smart people actually spent a lot of time thinking about it, on both theological and practical levels, and there are exceptions within that tradition. And with some history thrown in as well. To me, I look at the theology, and say, "ok, I get it, but I'm not sure the arguments are unique to nonmarital status." But candidly (and this may surprise some), I find the practical to be more compelling. The priest has one clear and primary theological duty -- to his flock -- and nonmarital status minimizes any doubt about where that priority must always be.

Last edited:

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Yup, I totally get where you're coming from because I used to hold that position too. Believe me, I did not change my view lightly.

In any case, it's an academic argument since there's pretty much zero chance that the rule is going to change.

I'll tell you this...the married-with-children Ordinariate pastor mentioned in my post above is one of the finest priests I've ever known and to my mind proves that it's possible, with the grace of God, to meet the challenges of both vocations.

I agree with you on the deacons, and in fact this definitely seems to be happening. In my experience, it's rare these days not to have a deacon on staff in a large parish. In fact, it's been over 30 years since I was a member of a parish that did not have at least one deacon.
Hey Jerry, BTW, how is your daughter doing? Our NoVa/Arlington parish currently has five (!) seminarians and two young women who are discerning Nashville Dominicans. Had an interesting conversation with the parents of one of the girls (who was in my son's class) and they are actually quite distraught/conflicted about it given that they will essentially lose access to her.

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
For those that discussed the OP thank you. For those who turned this into who is a Christian and Trump I am shaking my head. The Catholic Church is a organization that touches many lives, mine school primary, and prep school. For others their spiritual path to Grace. The health of the Church as all religions play an important role in the Great American Experient

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Name a single thing you do to support the poor? Can't wait. You only talk about you. I give hours upon hours and thousands of dollars. You?
I was at the grocery store today and I added a $1 to my bill for charity.

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
Hey Jerry, BTW, how is your daughter doing? Our NoVa/Arlington parish currently has five (!) seminarians and two young women who are discerning Nashville Dominicans. Had an interesting conversation with the parents of one of the girls (who was in my son's class) and they are actually quite distraught/conflicted about it given that they will essentially lose access to her.
My son went to St. Anselm’s Abbey

Reactions: Aardvark86

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
I was at the grocery store today and I added a $1 to my bill for charity.
So, nothing. You care about you. So you're statement is a lie. What else is new. I'm still waiting on your sources? Where are they?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I can assure you , you are not a Christian. You can’t worship Trump and Christ at the same time- mutually exclusive doctrines.
I can assure you, you are a dick with a serious case of TDS.

Reactions: Ski

Jerry

May 29, 2001

Aard! Missed you, man. We need a voice of moderation and reason around here. ;)

Last we heard, our daughter, Sister Mary Damiana, is doing fine. Can't write to her during Lent. But we're planning to be at the monastery on Good Friday for a service by Father Tom Weinandy. Don't know if you're familiar with him, but he's a tremendous Arlington priest, writer, and scholar.

The Nashville Dominicans are great. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I do understand the parents' distress. It's a major adjustment, but they'll still be able to visit her, and presumably she'll be able to come home on occasion, which isn't as radical as a daughter entering a cloistered order where you only get to see her twice a year behind a screen.

Yup, Arlington is doing fantastic with vocations...and not just Arlington. A year or so ago a priest of the Baltimore Archdiocese told me that they had set a record for the number of men entering the seminary there.

My kids are closer to the reality on the ground than we are, and they've told us that despite the devastating scandals, a crisis of faithlessness, and a historically bad Pope, there is a generation of young men feeling the call and stepping forward to serve regardless. I mean, it's enough to make a person believe in miracles.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Aard! Missed you, man. We need a voice of moderation and reason around here. ;)

Last we heard, our daughter, Sister Mary Damiana, is doing fine. Can't write to her during Lent. But we're planning to be at the monastery on Good Friday for a service by Father Tom Weinandy. Don't know if you're familiar with him, but he's a tremendous Arlington priest, writer, and scholar.

The Nashville Dominicans are great. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I do understand the parents' distress. It's a major adjustment, but they'll still be able to visit her, and presumably she'll be able to come home on occasion, which isn't as radical as a daughter entering a cloistered order where you only get to see her twice a year behind a screen.

Yup, Arlington is doing fantastic with vocations...and not just Arlington. A year or so ago a priest of the Baltimore Archdiocese told me that they had set a record for the number of men entering the seminary there.

My kids are closer to the reality on the ground than we are, and they've told us that despite the devastating scandals, a crisis of faithlessness, and a historically bad Pope, there is a generation of young men feeling the call and stepping forward to serve regardless. I mean, it's enough to make a person believe in miracles.
Glad to hear it and, seriously, lmk if I can be of any assistance when you are down here. I’d not heard of fr Tom but his bio certainly reflects the chops.

I’ve been rather distressed/distracted by the Ukraine situation (my dad was Ukrainian) and candidly, just cannot abide by how this forum deals with it and so have been a bit scarce. Heading to Latin mass Friday for annunciation, though may instead go in the day at cathedral for consecration prayer.

one other fun story - was at my conversion sponsors birthday party on Saturday, and his conversion sponsor was in from St. Louis. So I met my grand-catholic.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Glad to hear it and, seriously, lmk if I can be of any assistance when you are down here. I’d not heard of fr Tom but his bio certainly reflects the chops.

I’ve been rather distressed/distracted by the Ukraine situation (my dad was Ukrainian) and candidly, just cannot abide by how this forum deals with it and so have been a bit scarce. Heading to Latin mass Friday for annunciation, though may instead go in the day at cathedral for consecration prayer.

one other fun story - was at my conversion sponsors birthday party on Saturday, and his conversion sponsor was in from St. Louis. So I met my grand-catholic.

Thanks for the kind offer, but we're good. She entered the monastery in 2009, so we've been making the scene down there for 13 years now. Twice a year for family and parent visits...plus we go down on her birthday, even though we can't see her, to bring her a birthday gift and deliver stuff for the community.

It happens that she's the cook for the order, and they eat a vegetarian diet with heavy emphasis on fish...especially tuna. We bring 20 large cans of tuna at a time plus other foodstuffs. The neighbors, both Catholic and non-Catholic, love the sisters and are very generous in supporting them.

Cool story on the birthday party! Didn't realize you were a convert.

Gosh, I can only imagine your feelings given your Ukrainian heritage on your Dad's side. I hope that if you have any friends or relatives still over there, they've remained unharmed or have safely escaped. Totally get why you prefer not to mix it up here on this issue. We have to pray this is somehow brought to an end.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Thanks for the kind offer, but we're good. She entered the monastery in 2009, so we've been making the scene down there for 13 years now. Twice a year for family and parent visits...plus we go down on her birthday, even though we can't see her, to bring her a birthday gift and deliver stuff for the community.

It happens that she's the cook for the order, and they eat a vegetarian diet with heavy emphasis on fish...especially tuna. We bring 20 large cans of tuna at a time plus other foodstuffs. The neighbors, both Catholic and non-Catholic, love the sisters and are very generous in supporting them.

Cool story on the birthday party! Didn't realize you were a convert.

Gosh, I can only imagine your feelings given your Ukrainian heritage on your Dad's side. I hope that if you have any friends or relatives still over there, they've remained unharmed or have safely escaped. Totally get why you prefer not to mix it up here on this issue. We have to pray this is somehow brought to an end.
Yep converted a few years ago so still sampling at the buffet so to speak. Been a big couple of years here as my wife just completed her SMOM investiture this past year.

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001

Who says all Republican are practicing Christians. That would be nice but it far from the truth. BTW I have never support the death penalty, from a moral perspective and it is just a huge give away to the lawyers with the appeals processes. For who do, I don't agree but I can see their perspective, the perp has made his choice, the crimes that get you the death penalty are heinous. An unborn baby has no say if they want to die in the abortion.