ADVERTISEMENT

" The Beatles are horrible" is just thoroughly and obviously stupid

I have always said and felt music to me died in the mid to late 70's. I was born in the 50's and have always felt the best era of music was the do-wop of the 50's to rock & roll of the mid 70's. You can have your rap, hip hop and other junk of today, I can't relate to 90-95% of what they call music today.
there is and always has been good music being made- but you won't hear it on the radio or hear about it on TV

I have always said and felt music to me died in the mid to late 70's. I was born in the 50's and have always felt the best era of music was the do-wop of the 50's to rock & roll of the mid 70's. You can have your rap, hip hop and other junk of today, I can't relate to 90-95% of what they call music today.

Sorry to hear that. There really is a lot of good stuff being done today...well maybe not if your a real Country Music Fan but some of the Alternative stuff is very good...
Try Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie...

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I think part of the issue is that starting in the late 70's and peaking in the 80's, is that we expected our musicians to be great technicians. At that point, song writing and melody took a back seat to technical prowess. I don't know where music stands today but I still think that people expect great technical ability in their musicians.

The Beatles were not great technicians and never tried to be. They were song writers and damn good ones.

When I think about great guitar players, I think this. Randy Rhoads was a great musician and played very fast. Yngwie Malmsteen played very fast.

More snippets .
Quick question: what exactly did The Beatles do differently as musicians?

The short answer? Absolutely nothing.

The Beatles early recordings might as well be admitted plagiarizations of countless American artists, from Carl Perkins to the Supremes to Roy Orbison to especially Buddy Holly. . .in fact, the name of the group is a direct nod to the name of Holly’s band, The Crickets. And that’s not even counting the groups’ countrymen, including the Dave Clark Five, whom the Beatles “borrowed” tons of inspiration from for their post-“Rubber Soul” albums.
Think “Helter Skelter” was the first heavy metal song ever recorded? Too bad Arthur Brown, Budgie and Blue Cheer were already established acts by the time the song was released, and completely ignore the fact that the first Jimi Hendrix album came out a full year before the “The White Album.
Think “Revolution 9” was the first instance of a musical group getting all “industrial” on our asses? Well, it would be, if not for the fact that tons of bands like Cromagnon, The Monks, The Fugs and The Godz had already begun exploring fuzz and distortion years earlier.

Even The New York Times called the group out on their lifting of other bands’ sounds, which prompted John Lennon to write a nasty reply in 1971 in which he said that the Beatles’ music wasn’t a rip-off, but a love-in.

And in case you were wondering, the Beatles were successfully sued for those love-ins on THREE separate occasions, as Chuck Berry, Joe Garlandand the Chiffons all filed – and won –suits against the band for ripping off their music.

Not sure how much of that is true...since I know the Chiffons sued George Harrison for My Sweet Lord/He's so Fine not The Beatles.
Also there are some who say Helter Skelter wasn't even The Beatles first Heayv Metal song, that nod goes to
>>But that isn't the only entry the Oxford English Dictionary has on "heavy metal." The dictionary also cites a 1975 book on the Beatles, which describes a Beatles song as "heavy metal," but ironically, it applies that distinction to "Hey Bulldog," not "Helter Skelter." Interestingly, "Hey Bulldog" wasn't released until the 1969 Yellow Submarine soundtrack, but it was recorded back in February 1968, several months before the September 1968 recording of "Helter Skelter." So perhaps "Helter Skelter" is not even the Beatles' first "heavy metal" song? Musicologist Allan Kozinn even called the Beatles song by George Harrison, "It's All Too Much," as "proto-heavy metal," but "It's All Too Much" was recorded in May 1967, although it wasn't released until appearing with "Hey Bulldog" on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack in 1969. So, if you really wanted to push it, you could say that "Helter Skelter" was the Beatles' third "heavy metal" song, but that claim leans very heavily on quite a few technicalities.<<

As for Come Together and You Can't Cath Me...when does inspiration cross over into plagiarism because if thats the case everything's been plagiarised since Cavemen pounded rocks and sticks together...

http://wpdh.com/the-beatles-come-together-was-stolen-from-a-chuck-berry-song/

IDK, George was pretty good on guitar, Paul plays just about everything and there are some that say even Ringo was a better drummer than many think.
INMO their "musicianship" was just fine.
I know. I was just pointing out that Quincy Jones’s criticism was irrelevant to the music of The Beatles. Had he been their producer he’d have had a much different opinion, I’m guessing. Big egos at play.

Reactions: BBrown
I know. I was just pointing out that Quincy Jones’s criticism was irrelevant to the music of The Beatles. Had he been their producer he’d have had a much different opinion, I’m guessing. Big egos at play.

Agree. I think there is some heavy Hate and Jealousy going on. Especially coming from the producer of a lot of Michael Jackson's stuff. Just saying there might be a might big conflict of interest there.

Reactions: Bob78
Sorry to hear that. There really is a lot of good stuff being done today...well maybe not if your a real Country Music Fan but some of the Alternative stuff is very good...
Try Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie...
Lake Street Dive

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
IDK, George was pretty good on guitar, Paul plays just about everything and there are some that say even Ringo was a better drummer than many think.
INMO their "musicianship" was just fine.
Agree....regardless, the Beatles are the epitome of the sum of the parts saying (the whole is greater than the sum of the parts). To me, first and foremost, was the harmonization of Paul and John. going to the vegas show "Love", their voices are so crisp and clean. It is so simple. Then, you've got the hard edge of John at the core with Paul's melodious and positive demeanor. So you have the hard edged songs wrapped around a really melodious rift or tune. The four guys just fit so well together. They were also fortunate to be around when worldwide communications, advanced tube technologies and TV...then factor in the pill, synthetic drugs, Vietnam War, and you've got the perfect storm.

I get people may not like the Beatles, but their musical coverage is like non other.

I don't disagree, but the Beatles stopped touring in 1966 because the audience was too loud to hear themselves.
Due to the noise level, I think it is difficult to assess their live performances. Certainly the rooftop performance in 1969 was excellent.

I'm not a musician, the best I can do is strum a few chords on a guitar, so take my comments with some NaCl.

The Beatles made over 1400 world-wide appearances from 1964 to 1966. With their puny amps, the noise level of the crowds, the security issues, they knew by the end that they had lost the ability to play together and that the music was bad.

With modern synthesizers, I think their studio work could have been reproduced very effectively in a live show. And they always had someone playing along with them, such as Billy Preston, so adding a few members wouldn't have diminished the band. The Beatles were all about harmony and melodies, which I think are missing in today's music.

But I'm 68 and I like the Tijuana Brass so maybe my observations are all a bunch of hooey. :)

Reactions: EPC FAN
Meanwhile...

34436319_10156809068663287_2666788126579490816_n.jpg

The Beatles were all about harmony and melodies, which I think are missing in today's music. :)
This part is just not true. You are just listening to the wrong music, which is probably coming from the radio. There are a ton of great musicians out there that write great melodies and chord progressions. you just have to know where to look.

This part is just not true. You are just listening to the wrong music, which is probably coming from the radio. There are a ton of great musicians out there that write great melodies and chord progressions. you just have to know where to look.

Throw me some suggestions, I'm more than willing to lend an ear.

I can give you some bands names, but the best thing to do is to use platforms like youtube and spotify to search stuff out. Spotify is great because it will give you suggested playlists based on what you like and what you listen to regularly. Satellite radio is also great for discovery new stuff. It certainly isn't as easy to find as it used to be, but it's out there. That said, here are some bands that are newer but have an old school sensibility - Wood Brothers, Lake Street Dive, Tame Impala, Foxygen, Wilco, Cage the Elephant, Blitzen Trapper (may get a little experimental), Toro Y Moi, Shakey Graves, Father John Misty.

What do you like? Country, Rap, Rock, Alternative, Electronic...?
I mean I can give you some of the Alternative and Electronic stuff I like.
Under Electronica/Trip Hop I would go
Portis Head
Massive Attack
Tame Impala
Thievery Corporation
Bitter Sweet
Moby
Under Alternative/Indie
I would go
The Decemberists
Spoon
Death Cab for Cutie
Arcade Fire
Leon Bridges
Imagine Dragons
The Black Keys
Beck
and because these guys never leave my play list...
The Smiths
Psychedelic Furs
Warren Zevon
Stan Ridgeway/ Wall of Voodoo

What do you like? Country, Rap, Rock, Alternative, Electronic...?
I mean I can give you some of the Alternative and Electronic stuff I like.
Under Electronica/Trip Hop I would go
Portis Head
Massive Attack
Tame Impala
Thievery Corporation
Bitter Sweet
Moby
Under Alternative/Indie
I would go
The Decemberists
Spoon
Death Cab for Cutie
Arcade Fire
Leon Bridges
Imagine Dragons
The Black Keys
Beck
and because these guys never leave my play list...
The Smiths
Psychedelic Furs
Warren Zevon
Stan Ridgeway/ Wall of Voodoo
For Delco, I would think Leon Bridges is going to be most likely to please. I should have thought of that...

I can give you some bands names, but the best thing to do is to use platforms like youtube and spotify to search stuff out. Spotify is great because it will give you suggested playlists based on what you like and what you listen to regularly. Satellite radio is also great for discovery new stuff. It certainly isn't as easy to find as it used to be, but it's out there. That said, here are some bands that are newer but have an old school sensibility - Wood Brothers, Lake Street Dive, Tame Impala, Foxygen, Wilco, Cage the Elephant, Blitzen Trapper (may get a little experimental), Toro Y Moi, Shakey Graves, Father John Misty.

I'll check out some of these as soon as I can.

My satellite radio seems to be stuck on channels 6, 7, and ... 18!

Thx, for the suggestions, everyone.

Reactions: Grant Green
I'm currently in the process of obtaining 70s UK stereo copies of all the important Beatles LPs. It's quite rewarding. I was listening to Revolution Number 9 last night and actually enjoyed it.

Of course I was thinking about Sour Shoes the whole time. It's all the circle of life. Number Noine Number Noine cough cough Number Noine baba-bo-hi...

Spotify is GREAT. Have found a bunch of new music in the last 3-4 years.

Tyler Childers
John Fullbright
Will Overman

I download stuff i like. Im so old now i cant waste time listening to crap.

The Beatles are the GOATs, and I am like you in that I never listen to new music because I find that it sucks. However, I somehow got turned on to listening to The Lemon Twigs, and I must admit that I enjoy them very much. A new, young band with an old school sound.

The Beatles are the GOATs, and I am like you in that I never listen to new music because I find that it sucks. However, I somehow got turned on to listening to The Lemon Twigs, and I must admit that I enjoy them very much. A new, young band with an old school sound.

SMH.
There have been a ton of suggestions. I think you should try them.

Once you load up Spotify with your handpicked music, and the playlist ends, they have an algorithm which selects music you might like.

It pains me to say it, but that algorithm has chosen a LOT of musuc I like--a lot more than some radio DJ, Xm, sirius, or AM/FM.

I have never called myself a Beatles fan. My wife however, is a HUGE Beatles fan. While driving 6 hours over Memorial day, she put on the Beatles Channel on Sirius XM and they were playing a Beatles Top 100 songs as voted by listeners. The fact that they have enough songs to have a "Top 100" is amazing for starters. It was hosted by Peter Asher, who worked behind the scenes with them. He added a lot of insight info about the songs and what was happening with the band at the time that led to their creation. Listening to this definitely made me appreciate them more and increased my respect level.

Glad you found the lemon twigs. they are really young but heavily influenced by the beatles. I hear a lot of Queen in there too. You should youtube some of their live/ in studio videos.
Follow the rabbit hole and you will find more like them.

I have never called myself a Beatles fan. My wife however, is a HUGE Beatles fan. While driving 6 hours over Memorial day, she put on the Beatles Channel on Sirius XM and they were playing a Beatles Top 100 songs as voted by listeners. The fact that they have enough songs to have a "Top 100" is amazing for starters. It was hosted by Peter Asher, who worked behind the scenes with them. He added a lot of insight info about the songs and what was happening with the band at the time that led to their creation. Listening to this definitely made me appreciate them more and increased my respect level.
And Paul dated Peter's sister (Jane Asher) prior to Linda...

In Columbus there's a group of musicians that do a Beatles marathon around Christmas every year. Every album/song in chronological order - no breaks! Between albums they will perform solo songs from John, Paul, George and Ringo. Starts at noon and goes until 1am. great time. No seats, so the knees ache and you have to pace beer consumption.

Last edited:
And Paul dated Peter's sister (Jane Asher) prior to Linda...
Some of the songs (good and bad) inspired by Jane are: Every Little Thing, Things We Said Today, And I Love Her, Here There And Everywhere, Honey Pie, You Won't See Me, I'm Looking Through You, For No One, I'm Down, Martha My Dear, We Can Work It Out, among others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT