ADVERTISEMENT

That loss on Saturday cost Franklin several million $$

PSUFBFAN

May 29, 2001
Up until about noon Saturday afternoon, I thought that Clifford would return for the OSU game and PSU would finish the year at 9-3 (a loss at OSU and another one to one of the Michigan teams). That 9-3 (or even a better 10-2) would probably get him a lucrative offer from either USC or LSU. But, that doesn't mean he was going to jump to that school. Instead, my guess is that he would go back to PSU, show them his offer, and ask PSU to match or come very close. PSU would have done it and he would have walked away with a nice pay raise, more money for assistants, and some more capital improvement projects.

All that changed in 60 minutes plus 9 OT's on Saturday. I don't know how far along he was in discussions with those other 2 schools, but I suspect those other ADs took a look at PSU's upcoming schedule and came to the same conclusion that we have - the PSU team that has played the last 6 quarters of football is going to struggle to finish the year at 7-5, thus making CJF 11-10 over his past two years. I think they probably hit the "pause" button and said they'll continue to talk, but wanted to see more of the year end results. If Franklin somehow pulls out a miracle and finishes 10-2 or 9-3, he's probably right back in the thick of discussions with those other 2 schools and is looking at a substantial pay raise from them or PSU (assuming PSU matched the offer).

My guess is a 7-5 finish this year and he doesn't get an offer from either school. Obviously, this puts him in a no-leverage situation at PSU, too.

There is a lot I like about CJF but the tactic of negotiating a new contract through the national media by "threatening" to leave for other programs is one trait I really don't like. I would prefer he handle those negotiations behind closed doors. But, if you and your agent are going to play that game, you absolutely CANNOT lay an egg like the one he did this past weekend. I suspect the loss combined with his public negotiating tactics has resulted in a loss of support from a certain percentage of the fan base. How much, I don't know, but he certainly hasn't made it easy on himself for these next 5 games. He may never be able to recover the support of that part of the fan base and that's too bad for him and Penn State football.

I too am tired of the yearly "wondering". While I understand it it is part of the game it just has a "boy that cried wolf" feeling for me. Just one time I wish he would come out and give a Jimbo Fisher response....just once. I then wish in good faith Sandy would give him some of his list without him holding the school hostage.

Ive always said that this reason is why I didn't feel bad for him or give him a pass on the "missing of the family" from last year.

USC would still take Franklin for all the same reasons people here claim someone like a Clawson could be more successful here than at Wake. "USC has better resources, a better brand name and an easier path to the playoff, enabling Franklin to achieve a level there he can't here."

Doubt LSU was ever really interested or a fit either way.

Up until about noon Saturday afternoon, I thought that Clifford would return for the OSU game and PSU would finish the year at 9-3 (a loss at OSU and another one to one of the Michigan teams). That 9-3 (or even a better 10-2) would probably get him a lucrative offer from either USC or LSU. But, that doesn't mean he was going to jump to that school. Instead, my guess is that he would go back to PSU, show them his offer, and ask PSU to match or come very close. PSU would have done it and he would have walked away with a nice pay raise, more money for assistants, and some more capital improvement projects.

All that changed in 60 minutes plus 9 OT's on Saturday. I don't know how far along he was in discussions with those other 2 schools, but I suspect those other ADs took a look at PSU's upcoming schedule and came to the same conclusion that we have - the PSU team that has played the last 6 quarters of football is going to struggle to finish the year at 7-5, thus making CJF 11-10 over his past two years. I think they probably hit the "pause" button and said they'll continue to talk, but wanted to see more of the year end results. If Franklin somehow pulls out a miracle and finishes 10-2 or 9-3, he's probably right back in the thick of discussions with those other 2 schools and is looking at a substantial pay raise from them or PSU (assuming PSU matched the offer).

My guess is a 7-5 finish this year and he doesn't get an offer from either school. Obviously, this puts him in a no-leverage situation at PSU, too.

There is a lot I like about CJF but the tactic of negotiating a new contract through the national media by "threatening" to leave for other programs is one trait I really don't like. I would prefer he handle those negotiations behind closed doors. But, if you and your agent are going to play that game, you absolutely CANNOT lay an egg like the one he did this past weekend. I suspect the loss combined with his public negotiating tactics has resulted in a loss of support from a certain percentage of the fan base. How much, I don't know, but he certainly hasn't made it easy on himself for these next 5 games. He may never be able to recover the support of that part of the fan base and that's too bad for him and Penn State football.
This just opened up. 🙄

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
The only thing that might save him in this situation is that he has the excuse his starting QB is significantly injured with no viable backup and because of that its nearly impossible to win during the murderer’s row segment of your schedule.

Can you point me in the direction to these "threatening " to leave for other programs tactic of CJF and his agent negotiating a new contract through the national media articles you speak of? I have not seen them. If it is the articles written that place him at the top of every vacant coaching list, how is that CJF's fault? They are just click bait articles fans fall for.

CJF is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position. If he says he is interested recruits and coaches bail for other teams. If he says he is not interested in any other coaching jobs and then receives the "offer he couldn't refuse" he will be called a liar aka "FLO"

I'd rather he say he is flattered to be thought of so highly, but is happy where he is and he has not reached the goals he had set for PSU when he was hired. Let his agent worry about the behind the scenes stuff. I feel the will he/won't he is more of a distraction the team does not need.

Kliff Kingsbury would have succeeded in college. Texas Tech also fired the only coach to ever make them remotely matter due to pc crap.

He is owning it in the NFL and he hired probably the best staff in football.

Penn State Football is bigger than James Franklin. Not only will we survive without him, we will be better.

I keep reading over and over that he is threatening to leave and holding the program hostage yet the only thing I’ve heard him say is he is handling it internally. No top recruits or players have indicated there is any chance of him leaving. Just fans spinning in circles from media reports the other schools want him

USC would still take Franklin for all the same reasons people here claim someone like a Clawson could be more successful here than at Wake. "USC has better resources, a better brand name and an easier path to the playoff, enabling Franklin to achieve a level there he can't here."

Doubt LSU was ever really interested or a fit either way.

Easier path at USC is true, as is recruiting potential. Other stuff is a push.

I keep reading over and over that he is threatening to leave and holding the program hostage yet the only thing I’ve heard him say is he is handling it internally. No top recruits or players have indicated there is any chance of him leaving. Just fans spinning in circles from media reports the other schools want him
as the great collin cowherd says.....watch what people do, not what they say. I rewatched Saturdays game and saw a very unenthusiastic team going through the motions. I also, again, saw the head coach with no energy on the sidelines with his arms crossed.

Anyone see Ryan Day in the middle of the huddle with his entire team? I love you before and after everything sounds great but doesn't fire up the masses.

Easier path at USC is true, as is recruiting potential. Other stuff is a push.

From your perspective maybe. USC would likely disagree based on the esteem they hold themselves in, which is why its easy for them to justify a Franklin hire, even with last weekends game and his poor record off losses and byes. Because at USC once Justin Fields is committed he isn't decommiting.

Just like some here look at what what Clawson's done and say, "With what we provide here, he could do better."

The funniest rumor is Mike Tomlin to USC. If you all think CJF has been suspect with clock management, you haven't watched enough Steelers games. And Tomlin has been to two Superbowls.

Reactions: Midnighter2
From your perspective maybe. USC would likely disagree based on the esteem they hold themselves in, which is why its easy for them to justify a Franklin hire, even with last weekends game and his poor record off losses and byes.

Just like some here look at what what Clawson's done and say, "With what we provide here, he could do better."

I think Franklin would do well there because it’s easier to recruit to USC and he has no OSU to contend with. Maybe Oregon, but wouldn’t see them until the conference championship game for the most part. If he’s going to make a move, I think this is the year. Unless he’s holding out for something in Florida.

Someone needs to name the main difference between JF and Clay Helton.

Franklin would put a ton of effort into recruiting SoCal. Helton did not. There is one other massive difference but it goes without saying. Though it would be big there I think.

Franklin would put a ton of effort into recruiting SoCal. Helton did not. There is one other massive difference but it goes without saying. Though it would be big there I think.
I was talking more about records.....but i do see the difference in what you are saying.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Franklin's a "Pennsylvania guy with a Penn State heart" whose last extension was for 6 years, $38.2m guaranteed through 2025. Yet every year when he's named as a candidate for a new job, we get these cryptic comments about handling it internally. There's no need to handle anything internally if you're not interested in other jobs. He's leveraging the uncertainty to his benefit. The only difference is now he doesn't have the leverage. He was already rewarded for getting PSU from sanctions to winning a BT Championship and 3x 10 win seasons. Time for him to put up or move on.

Franklin's a "Pennsylvania guy with a Penn State heart" whose last extension was for 6 years, $38.2m guaranteed through 2025. Yet every year when he's named as a candidate for a new job, we get these cryptic comments about handling it internally. There's no need to handle anything internally if you're not interested in other jobs. He's leveraging the uncertainty to his benefit. The only difference is now he doesn't have the leverage. He was already rewarded for getting PSU from sanctions to winning a BT Championship and 3x 10 win seasons. Time for him to put up or move on.

He doesn’t need to satisfy the armchair critics,.

Reactions: MaconNitt
we get these cryptic comments about handling it internally.
internally - within the program, administration, staff, players, recruits, and their families know where he stands. Not the fans, not the media. Why do you think he uses 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 every week? He does not want distractions, outside noise.

Just because we want to know does not mean he's gonna answer to us or the media. Would I like him to address his future, player injuries and discipline? Yep, but it ain't happening. He does not need leverage. If he goes he goes. I'm not gonna get my undies in a bunch worrying about things I can not control. When I start to see coaches move for lateral or lower positions, players entering the portal, and recruits decommitting en masse then I will worry.

Reactions: PSUSignore

Logical and well thought out.

Mel Tucker is a shoe in at LSU! Wouldn’t be surprised if Franklin heads to USC. PSU doesn’t need a finesse coach. I’d be happy with Luke Fickell or the Iowa State guy.

Mel Tucker is a shoe in at LSU! Wouldn’t be surprised if Franklin heads to USC. PSU doesn’t need a finesse coach. I’d be happy with Luke Fickell or the Iowa State guy.

Campbell being winless against Iowa would definitely go over well here. So would losing to a sunbelt team while ranked in the top 25.

Penn State Football is bigger than James Franklin. Not only will we survive without him, we will be better.
Are you from the future? How do you know PSU will be better? Isn’t also possible PSU football could be worse?

if you are from the future, let me know what tonight’s powerball numbers will be. Thanks in advance, but you probably already knew that.

Reactions: RaymondReddington
So much for Ohio State being more committed to winning…another straw man slayed!
This is on the books of course. McDonald's bags full of cash, tattoos, all expense bowl trips for girlfriends etc. aren't included.

This is on the books of course. McDonald's bags full of cash, tattoos, all expense bowl trips for girlfriends etc. aren't included.
Perhaps not…irrelevant now…just handed $1 million in cash to some mullet-headed 17 year old 4 th string QB…all legal

I think LSU is more likely.

Thank you God and please make this happen. Even sweeter...B'OB stays at Bama until at least 11/2/22. #PricelessScriptsThatWriteThemselves

33679-animal-house-playboy-bunny.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing that might save him in this situation is that he has the excuse his starting QB is significantly injured with no viable backup and because of that its nearly impossible to win during the murderer’s row segment of your schedule.
If he knew that what he had behind Clifford was this raw and not ready to step in against better competition, then why the H*ll were he and Yurcich letting the Iowa linebacker have a free shot at Clifford with no blockers anywhere to be seen? They got greedy and went for the kill shot too early leaving Clifford exposed. That's on the coaching staff IMO.

Considering the news on the change to a new agent (Jimmy Sexton who represents 11 of the 14 SEC head coaches and who is apparently tight with the LSU AD), I've changed my mind. I think CJF already has or will be receiving a strong offer and will be headed to LSU.

The LSU AD (Scott Woodward) is the guy who hired Jimbo Fisher while he was the AD at aTm. He gave Jimbo that massive 10 year, $70 million contract at the end of 2017. Jimbo's agent was Jimmy Sexton.

Oh yeah, FSU finished the 2017 year at 7-6.

He was paying Jimbo for what he had previously done at FSU, he didn't care about the 2017 record.

Substitute Franklin for Fisher and substitute LSU for aTm, you have the exact same scenario playing out today with the same players (Woodward and Sexton).

What about Illinois

Considering the news on the change to a new agent (Jimmy Sexton who represents 11 of the 14 SEC head coaches and who is apparently tight with the LSU AD), I've changed my mind. I think CJF already has or will be receiving a strong offer and will be headed to LSU.

The LSU AD (Scott Woodward) is the guy who hired Jimbo Fisher while he was the AD at aTm. He gave Jimbo that massive 10 year, $70 million contract at the end of 2017. Jimbo's agent was Jimmy Sexton.

Oh yeah, FSU finished the 2017 year at 7-6.

He was paying Jimbo for what he had previously done at FSU, he didn't care about the 2017 record.

Substitute Franklin for Fisher and substitute LSU for aTm, you have the exact same scenario playing out today with the same players (Woodward and Sexton).

columbo-wave.gif

He's leveraging the uncertainty to his benefit. The only difference is now he doesn't have the leverage.
1. Why shouldn't he? He's got a career to think about just like anyone else and I can't fault him for applying leverage to create a better situation for himself when presented with the opportunity.

2. If USC and LSU are still seriously considering him then he still has plenty of leverage despite losing 3 games in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT