ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC | Update: UT & OU announce departure

I don’t believe it. Stunning.
200.gif

Reactions: BobPSU92
Yeah, I'm not buying that "we didn't proactively pursue new members" line of BS. I'm assuming the SEC legal team put that in there.
No doubt they're playing with the definition of proactive. They want everyone to think it means overtly and aggressively looking to extend invitations to join the conference. That obviously never occurred. My guess is Sankey made a point of "coincidentally" running into the OU/UT folks at events and telling them if that whole Big XII thing doesn't work out, "Have your people call my people. I'm not saying anything will happen (wink) but at least we can have a cup of coffee and talk about the weather."

Time for Warren to make his move.
The SEC decided to make a super conference. The B1G needs to court Baylor, Texas Tech, OK St, USC, Oregon, Washington or go east and court FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, ND , UCF and make a super conference of pods setup regionally.

Reactions: Midnighter2
The SEC decided to make a super conference. The B1G needs to court Baylor, Texas Tech, OK St, USC, Oregon, Washington or go east and court FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, ND , UCF and make a super conference of pods setup regionally.
or...just join the SEC too...then you have one giant superconference

Reactions: m48tank
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Heard yesterday on Paul Finebaum show that ND could be persuaded by ACC to join fot football if there is another big fish to come with. PSU I hear your name. That would be quite the shake up if PSU and the Irish join the ACC.

Agree. However with college football morphing into what it is, schools need to rethink the all-sports conference model and separate football from everything else. Imagine a B1G/PAC merger or alliance. Expenses for other sports would skyrocket if cross country travel became the norm.

Help me politicians, you're our only hope.
It’s no different than the agitating Baylor and a few other Big XII schools were doing a few years ago, when the Pac was talking with Texas, Oklahoma, Okie State, and TAMU about joining the Pac. They persuaded Texas legislators to make some noise about it and threaten legislative action to prevent the move. Wonder how Okie State feels about that now. Seems to me they are looking like the biggest loser in this, through no real fault of their own.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yeah, I'm not buying that "we didn't proactively pursue new members" line of BS. I'm assuming the SEC legal team put that in there.
To be honest, I think it’s likely that indeed Oklahoma/Texas initiated this. Once it became evident that playoff expansion was on the horizon, they the main benefit to remaining in the Big 12 would be diminished with media rights falling further behind the SEC and B10. Furthermore you had Texas seeing old rival A&M gaining recruiting advantages in the SEC and the Longhorn Network has been an abject failure.

With the Big 12 GOR ending soon, the time was now to make a move and OU/UT could easily survey the landscape and see that joining the SEC was the best play.

To be honest, I think it’s likely that indeed Oklahoma/Texas initiated this. Once it became evident that playoff expansion was on the horizon, they the main benefit to remaining in the Big 12 would be diminished with media rights falling further behind the SEC and B10. Furthermore you had Texas seeing old rival A&M gaining recruiting advantages in the SEC and the Longhorn Network has been an abject failure.

With the Big 12 GOR ending soon, the time was now to make a move and OU/UT could easily survey the landscape and see that joining the SEC was the best play.
Agreed. It is about TV revenue, exposure and the new (and all-important) NIL. If you aren't getting TV exposure, leading to less and less potential to make money off of your NIL, you are going to go someplace else. I said this in a post a few weeks ago and people said that kids would never go to a school to maximize their NIL potential. Well, the schools definitely are concerned about it.

I think the counterpoint is that with playoff expansion and the state of the Big 12 Texas and OU should have one of the better paths to the playoff, similar to Clemson and the ACC. OU has already been getting it done on occasion but obviously UT has been lacking on the field for some time. ISU has been good lately but a team hiring away Campbell puts an end to that immediately. Combine that along with the Big 12's willingness to give UT and OU disproportionate payouts which other conferences are unlikely to do, the Longhorn network money which disappears, and their political control in the conference and they are in a pretty sweet spot individually even if the conference as a whole isn't on the level of a Big 10 or SEC. UT in particular is going to lose a ton of conference political power by moving to the SEC and they run the show in the Big 12 despite their struggles on the field of late. How NIL is going to impact this is another question though, I think that's less clear right now and teams and players will figure that out better after a couple of seasons with it in place.

I fully expect that within 5 years major college football will exist outside of the NCAA and conferences. It will become a stand alone entity as a minor league subsidized by universities who chose to participate. Non-participating schools will continue under the NCAA and traditional conferences.

I think this is going to change the landscape of College football more than most are imagining.

With the addition of Oklahoma, and Texas, there are only a handful of truly relevant football programs outside of the SEC right now. In the last four years, only three teams outside of the new SEC have made the Playoffs, OSU, Notre Dame and Clemson. There are additional traditional powerhouses and schools that have a rabid following (like PSU, USC, Michigan, FSU etc.) which are relevant as well. However, these non-SEC programs are not unified in interest. They are spread out over the PAC, BIG, Independent and ACC and, at this point, they are unwilling to join their interests by joining one conference. Because there is no unity of interest, they are setting themselves up to get steamrolled by the SEC and the SEC is going to dictate the future of College football.

What happens when the SEC start making their own rules? What happens if they unilaterally raise the number of scholarships for football? The other football powerhouses are going to demand the same changes be implemented in their conferences. If the conferences do not change their rules to compete with the SEC, their programs are going to become more irrelevant and the top programs are going to jump. The SEC will have its choice of these programs. When the SEC cherry picks the top teams, everyone else will be looking in from the outside and begging to get in.

If the three remaining conferences / big time football programs cannot get their interests aligned, this is going to go badly for them in the next 5-10 years. The BIG position relating AAU membership and trying to maintain the façade that NCAA football is about education first is admirable but it is a sinking ship. IMO, if the BIG continues to maintain this position, PSU can either go down with the ship or try to chart its own course.
Regarding raising the number of scholarships....won't they still need to comply with Title IX?

Notre Dame will probably join the Big XII now.
I thought I read somewhere that part of ND’s agreement to partially play in the ACC is that if they ever fully join a conference for football it will be the ACC?

I could see Colorado being added. They meet the Big Ten academic criteria, they add a large and growing market to the conference, there are a lot of Big Ten alums in Colorado (based on a Frank the Tank blog a couple of years ago), they are contiguous with the Big Ten footprint in Nebraska, and they are reportedly not at all happy with the Pac 12 financial return.

Fun times.
Who reported that?

I don’t think the Big Ten needs to necessarily add more members. They should sign an agreement with the PAC 12 for a football-only relationship. FOX could hold the media rights to both conferences, and help develop cross over match ups each year. Also, since this should ensure both conference champions make the playoffs, the Rose Bowl could be played between the two teams in week zero, while both teams could still be represented in the Tournament of Roses parade.

Also, if USC has to play a crossover game with the B1G, they may not have room for ND on the schedule.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I realize football and the gigantic paydays probably override every other consideration. But won’t schools have to consider other sports when deciding to make a conference switch? What happens to PSU wrestling and hockey in the ACC? What happens to Clemson or aTm baseball in the B1G? How much does any of this matter?

I realize football and the gigantic paydays probably override every other consideration. But won’t schools have to consider other sports when deciding to make a conference switch? What happens to PSU wrestling and hockey in the ACC? What happens to Clemson or aTm baseball in the B1G? How much does any of this matter?
True, but it appears money is now overriding everything.

The reality is that the SEC has now buried the rest of the college football world in terms of quality and depth.

There are no big dogs left (the Texas or Oklahoma equivalent) for the ACC or Big Ten to add to their conferences.

The only solution would be to blow up the big ten and ACC and reorganize into a new conference of-

Clemson
Notre Dame
Penn St
Florida St
Miami
Virginia Tech
Ohio St
Michigan
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan St
Iowa
Oklahoma St
Colorado

How about a Tech/State Conference (Just for fun) and throw in the three academies.

Penn State
Ohio State
Florida State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
NC State
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Kansas State
Michigan State
Boise State
San Diego State
Colorado State
Oregon State
Washington State
Arizona State
Utah State
Army
Navy
Air Force

Split into 2 divisions, teams in 19 states.

Lol

I don’t think the Big Ten needs to necessarily add more members. They should sign an agreement with the PAC 12 for a football-only relationship. FOX could hold the media rights to both conferences, and help develop cross over match ups each year. Also, since this should ensure both conference champions make the playoffs, the Rose Bowl could be played between the two teams in week zero, while both teams could still be represented in the Tournament of Roses parade.

Also, if USC has to play a crossover game with the B1G, they may not have room for ND on the schedule.
Dan Wetzel reports that Big Ten and Pac 12 are possibly rekindling the scheduling agreement idea:
https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2...erence-not-sold-ohio-state-football-buckeyes/

Reactions: NedFromYork
Regarding raising the number of scholarships....won't they still need to comply with Title IX?
Yes. So they could add more women sports or they could eliminate other non-revenue sports for men to create more available scholarships for football. A mere speed bump.

True, but it appears money is now overriding everything.

The reality is that the SEC has now buried the rest of the college football world in terms of quality and depth.

There are no big dogs left (the Texas or Oklahoma equivalent) for the ACC or Big Ten to add to their conferences.

The only solution would be to blow up the big ten and ACC and reorganize into a new conference of-

Clemson
Notre Dame
Penn St
Florida St
Miami
Virginia Tech
Ohio St
Michigan
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan St
Iowa
Oklahoma St
Colorado

How about a Tech/State Conference (Just for fun) and throw in the three academies.

Penn State
Ohio State
Florida State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
NC State
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Kansas State
Michigan State
Boise State
San Diego State
Colorado State
Oregon State
Washington State
Arizona State
Utah State
Army
Navy
Air Force

Split into 2 divisions, teams in 19 states.
But, but you forgot University of Pittsburgh

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: psu00
I will say this: Warren is strongly connected to ND.
I can hardly believe that a law degree from Notre Dame indicates any strong connection. ND hates the B10, the B10 hates ND and things will have to descend to a high level of desperation to overcome that.

I can hardly believe that a law degree from Notre Dame indicates any strong connection. ND hates the B10, the B10 hates ND and things will have to descend to a high level of desperation to overcome that.

$$$$$

I really think there is one that is a king program, fits the academics and demographics the B10 would want, and perhaps would consider jumping ship if gaps are widening too fast.

USC

That is where the Big Ten should be focusing any attention. See what it will take to get them to jump with as few as other west coast teams.

Reactions: DavidM
Penn St should just join the SEC and be done with it. Be proactive and drop the Midwest crowd. If Texas and Oklahoma can pass for ‘east’ in the Southeast Conference, then Penn State can pass for ‘south’ in the same SEC. 😎

Nah!

According to Many IDIOTS, Pittsburgh is located in the MIDWEST so it is natural just to stay put.

IDIOTS think this I tell you.

IDIOTS!!

Nah!

According to Many IDIOTS, Pittsburgh is located in the MIDWEST so it is natural just to stay put.

IDIOTS think this I tell you.

IDIOTS!!
Well, then it’s a good thing that Penn State isn’t located in Pittsburgh. 😎

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT