ADVERTISEMENT

Texas has quit on Tom Herman.....

Hermann will get another year at least. Coming off a 10 win season. Good recruiting class. Now next year?

We were talking about Texas yesterday as one of the teams that has recruited so well recently but has not much to show for it. But the best recruiting classes, #3 two years in a row, are now only true freshmen, redshirt freshmen and true sophs. So I can't see how you can a guy that has assembled the nucleus of a top 5 roster before he gets a chance to see if he can make that leap upwards with that talent.....

But correct. You ‘be usef

Why’s it ugly?

One could say “He has lived there for 20 years” or “He lived there for 20 years.” 2 different meanings. With “quit” - you either did it,, “I quit” or “Texas quit...” or not. If you are in the process of quitting the “to be” form should be used, “I am quitting” or “Texas is quitting...” not “Texas has quit.” That is a very southern improper usage. Weirdly, you hear it in TX a lot. Not intended to make you feel bad, just a helpful tip from an ESL guy (English as a second language)

Living in Austin, I don’t hear about his removal too often. Sure, it’s been raised as a question, but not the talk of the town for sure. I think they give him at least another year.

Living in Austin, I don’t hear about his removal too often. Sure, it’s been raised as a question, but not the talk of the town for sure. I think they give him at least another year.
High of 78 down here tomorrow, Kev.

Don’t you miss those cold, late fall days up north;)

One could say “He has lived there for 20 years” or “He lived there for 20 years.” 2 different meanings. With “quit” - you either did it,, “I quit” or “Texas quit...” or not. If you are in the process of quitting the “to be” form should be used, “I am quitting” or “Texas is quitting...” not “Texas has quit.” That is a very southern improper usage. Weirdly, you hear it in TX a lot. Not intended to make you feel bad, just a helpful tip from an ESL guy (English as a second language)
My wife is a career educator so I’m used to her correcting my rural south central pa language although when she does so I remind her that I make 3x as much as her.

Seems grammatically correct to me. Present perfect tense...the duration of something that started in the past is still happening. Unless you are arguing that TX has stopped quitting.

Reactions: artsandletters
Discussing the past -Texas sucks.

Discussing the present-Texas sucks.

Discussing the future -Texas sucks.

So no matter how you look at it grammatically Texas sucks.

But did they has quit already? Let's went!

Reactions: Locolion

‘Has’ is 3rd person present making ‘Texas has quit’ proper. Or am I mistaken?

Haven’t looked back since I moved her in August. A zillion bars/restaurants, great weather, beautiful women, and thriving business.
Yup. Too thriving for me right now - working the last few weekends on closings, but better than the alternative.

Fall and late winter/early spring are heaven down here usually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT