ADVERTISEMENT

Texas board is a good read

They were the ones who had the guy in the bear outfit at the bowl game against Houston. Yeah, they're getting what they deserve.

Mary Land is just as bad. Same can be said for any fans of any school. We're easy meat for every troll on the planet. I was fully invested in the media trap, the social media trap, the comments sections on every story. I used to go nuts. Best not to read any of it. But when it comes to "You shouldn't even have a team" my default and immediate answer is "Too bad."

This is how PSU wants it, so who am I to argue? The fans were made out to be the asshole here so why worry about it. Being at the game today there is no question that nothing will stop people from showing up, being cast as villains, being berated, nothing would stop the fans from coming out and spending large amounts. There is no use in wasting energy hating the board, the president, the AD, the parking nazis, the media, the public. The Penn State machine is bigger than anything.

Unless we start losing.

Mary Land is just as bad. Same can be said for any fans of any school. We're easy meat for every troll on the planet. I was fully invested in the media trap, the social media trap, the comments sections on every story. I used to go nuts. Best not to read any of it. But when it comes to "You shouldn't even have a team" my default and immediate answer is "Too bad."

This is how PSU wants it, so who am I to argue? The fans were made out to be the asshole here so why worry about it. Being at the game today there is no question that nothing will stop people from showing up, being cast as villains, being berated, nothing would stop the fans from coming out and spending large amounts. There is no use in wasting energy hating the board, the president, the AD, the parking nazis, the media, the public. The Penn State machine is bigger than anything.

Unless we start losing.

I agree with you, PSU is an easy target for the trolls. But those UT A$$es are the ones who showed up at our bowl game after the 2011 season with that Pedo-Bear crap. Real funny...but everyone is laughing at Texas now. May they never win another game.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/forumdisplay.php/7-football

Reactions: massimoManca II
Texas is irrelevant. Mack Brown left that place in a shambles and Strong was the wrong hire. Herrmann has his work cut out for him and no time as the rich alum will not put up with another 5-7 season. UT is #5 in the state behind A&M, TCU, Baylor, and Houston. That is incredible but it was just like we saw with Paterno and the refusal to adjust into the new millennium. Believe or not, UT is still locked in the 1990's and early 2000's. The arrogance is crazy and that won't change.

Texas is irrelevant. Mack Brown left that place in a shambles and Strong was the wrong hire. Herrmann has his work cut out for him and no time as the rich alum will not put up with another 5-7 season. UT is #5 in the state behind A&M, TCU, Baylor, and Houston. That is incredible but it was just like we saw with Paterno and the refusal to adjust into the new millennium. Believe or not, UT is still locked in the 1990's and early 2000's. The arrogance is crazy and that won't change.

Out of curiosity, what adjustments aren't they making? They've tried several coaches now. I find it almost unbelievable that a school of that quality, with their tradition and resources in a "hip" place like Austin could stay down so long.

They are finally upgrading their facilities to meet modern day demands. Increasing staff, media support, etc... offices were throwback with cow leather chairs, funky orange square wall paper, etc... Nothing had changed since the Mack Brown era. Facilities were outdated and old. Some say arrogance, some say a refusal by rich alum to support Strong. They wanted Saban, remember? No longer are they "Texas". The Vince Young and Colt McCoy days are over. Kids were in elementary school in those days.

Reactions: Mixolydian
I think another part of it is the migration of A&M to the SEC and the perceived weakness of the conference as a whole. Kids have more options now and even CJF if getting high quality Texas players. Texas would always be in my top five if I were a recruit, but I don't think Herman is the guy who's gonna fix that place.

They are finally upgrading their facilities to meet modern day demands. Increasing staff, media support, etc... offices were throwback with cow leather chairs, funky orange square wall paper, etc... Nothing had changed since the Mack Brown era. Facilities were outdated and old. Some say arrogance, some say a refusal by rich alum to support Strong. They wanted Saban, remember? No longer are they "Texas". The Vince Young and Colt McCoy days are over. Kids were in elementary school in those days.

Gotcha. Just like us a couple years ago, they are a serious sleeping giant in my opinion. Besides all of the other attributes I mentioned, they have (or at least used to have) the Whorns :eek: for recruiting hostesses and their iconic uniforms/helmets are top 5 in my opinion. But I'm an old guy, so maybe the kids see it differently.

Reactions: royboy
Gotcha. Just like us a couple years ago, they are a serious sleeping giant in my opinion. Besides all of the other attributes I mentioned, they have (or at least used to have) the Whorns :eek: for recruiting hostesses and their iconic uniforms/helmets are top 5 in my opinion. But I'm an old guy, so maybe the kids see it differently.

Herman is a hot coach, but he has to prove he can recruit. A hot name with a proven track record is what Texas really needed - not just a hot name. That place could be good in a hurry - the right guy could kill it there. Imagine if Saban or Meyer took that job.

Reactions: Mixolydian
I think another part of it is the migration of A&M to the SEC and the perceived weakness of the conference as a whole. Kids have more options now and even CJF if getting high quality Texas players. Texas would always be in my top five if I were a recruit, but I don't think Herman is the guy who's gonna fix that place.
Don't have much knowledge about their facilities, etc. Certainly financial resources should not be a problem.

Interesting to notice their recruiting success vs lack of success on the field.

The 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes should be their current front line players, and Texas was ranked ahead of PSU by Rivals in each of those years.
2014 TX #20 PSU #24
2015 TX #12 PSU #15
2016 TX #11 PSU #21

For 2017, with coaching changes involved, the Longhorns class was #31 overall, and in 2018 they are having very good success with the #4 class so far.

Under-performing? Over-rated prospects in TX overall?

Don't have much knowledge about their facilities, etc. Certainly financial resources should not be a problem.

Interesting to notice their recruiting success vs lack of success on the field.

The 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes should be their current front line players, and Texas was ranked ahead of PSU by Rivals in each of those years.
2014 TX #20 PSU #24
2015 TX #12 PSU #15
2016 TX #11 PSU #21

For 2017, with coaching changes involved, the Longhorns class was #31 overall, and in 2018 they are having very good success with the #4 class so far.

Under-performing? Over-rated prospects in TX overall?

Culture issues I think; Strong had a hell of a time working on that while trying to win - just couldn't do both. He dismissed a bunch of players and tried to get things under control. Good article from Forbes about what he tried to do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighs...manding-change-in-texas-football-culture/amp/

Here's a metric to consider when evaluating how far the 'Horns have fallen. My Golden Bears beat them last year and the year before that. When Cal takes you down two years running, you stink. On ice.

Can't believe how much crap the Texas fans tossed on the field yesterday.

Texas is good when they cherry pick the state for recruits. Look at notable periods when A&M is good (RC Slocum, Sumlin now) and Texas is average. Never mind that TCU, Baylor, and Houston have all had quality up years as of late, plus SEC schools making in roads.

Heck, we have made in roads in Texas. It's a lot like Florida and California. Yes, these states are talent rich, but they don't supply 3 teams into national title territory.

Here's a metric to consider when evaluating how far the 'Horns have fallen. My Golden Bears beat them last year and the year before that. When Cal takes you down two years running, you stink. On ice.

Can't believe how much crap the Texas fans tossed on the field yesterday.
Good win yesterday for the Golden Bears to go on the road to Chapel Hill and beat the Heels.

Was it really 100+ degrees in the Bay Area?

Maybe TX tied for 4th as Baylor is 0-1 as well. :eek:

The QB situation at UT has been a dumpster fire since Colt McCoy graduated. How many of Mack's 4 and 5 star QB recruits bailed out for greener pastures: Jevan Snead, Garrett Gilbert, Connor Wood, Connor Brewer... Case McCoy was a mediocre QB and David Ash's career was cut short by injuries. Throw in Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard (a Charlie Strong recruit) who were never FBS quarterbacks. Charlie's best QB recruit, Shane Buechele is apparently not the answer.

Any predictions that Tom Herman will make it to year four in Austin? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm sure much of the angst over Maryland will be minimalized because of the laughter of A&M's classic choke-job tonight!

In fact, I predict most Longhorn fans will take Monday off to celebrate A&M's loss. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT