ADVERTISEMENT

TE options

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
of all the positions, this one seems to have the largest gap (possibly next to kicker). Dalton looks okay, but not going to scare any DCs. we did not see Kuntz for some reason. Bowers and Holland both continue to be injured. we have one more FR TE coming in who we have not seen, but overall this looks like our weakest position.

are there players at other positions who could fit as a TE, and are sitting down in the depth chart at their current spot?
  • any OL who may have the quickness to at least be a threat as a receiver, as they probably can block.
  • any DE's?
  • others?
  • use Tommy Stevens in as an H back and drop TE periodically?

Reactions: GregInPitt
of all the positions, this one seems to have the largest gap (possibly next to kicker). Dalton looks okay, but not going to scare any DCs. we did not see Kuntz for some reason. Bowers and Holland both continue to be injured. we have one more FR TE coming in who we have not seen, but overall this looks like our weakest position.

are there players at other positions who could fit as a TE, and are sitting down in the depth chart at their current spot?
  • any OL who may have the quickness to at least be a threat as a receiver, as they probably can block.
  • any DE's?
  • others?
  • use Tommy Stevens in as an H back and drop TE periodically?

Sigh. Here we go again with blion. Analyzing a whole position group after watching one scrimmage.

I think you are going to see a 4th WR or a 2nd RB more with Rahne at the helm. He doesn't seem to have any restrictions on how he views the scheme compared to Moorhead. Pretty sure I read we ran some two back sets yesterday.

Regardless, it's a long way to go before I worry. I mean, seriously, having a great TE is more a luxury than a requirement for winning.

I think they would’ve already tried someone from another position out during the spring if they thought they were that desperate for TE’s. They wouldn’t wait until after the spring game and say holy %#*+ we don’t have anyone at TE!

I think they would’ve already tried someone from another position out during the spring if they thought they were that desperate for TE’s. They wouldn’t wait until after the spring game and say holy %#*+ we don’t have anyone at TE!

Gesicki could be returning and someone would be like "who is going to play behind him!?" "What if he gets hurt?"

1. Depth matters
2. The tight end position is not a strength and there's valid concern heading into the season

Am I happy with the current state of the position? Probably not. Do I feel like it's going to cost us any games? Not likely.

RB worries me a lot more and I'm on the optimistic side of the fence regarding Sanders (you aren't, best I remember). You can game plan around not having elite TE talent. Being average at RB behind an OL that still has to prove itself as run blockers is a 4-loss sentence outside of a flawless year from TM.

I think you are going to see a 4th WR or a 2nd RB more with Rahne at the helm. He doesn't seem to have any restrictions on how he views the scheme compared to Moorhead. Pretty sure I read we ran some two back sets yesterday.

Regardless, it's a long way to go before I worry. I mean, seriously, having a great TE is more a luxury than a requirement for winning.

Agree, but I was surprised we didn't see any 4 WR sets yesterday... but there were some 2 back sets. Gotta believe we will see Stevens in those 2 back sets as well.

Reactions: djr4rebs
1. Depth matters
2. The tight end position is not a strength and there's valid concern heading into the season

Don't believe anyone is arguing that. But Dalton played, Holland didn't look very hurt (although he didn't play yesterday), Bowers was dressed (I don't believe he played), we have 2 stud TE's as true freshmen, and CJF will likely run lots of plays without a TE.

I just believe it's not the team's most glaring concern. Just one of a few - TE, LB, DT Depth, .... That's what makes college football interesting.

Last edited:
Am I happy with the current state of the position? Probably not. Do I feel like it's going to cost us any games? Not likely.

RB worries me a lot more and I'm on the optimistic side of the fence regarding Sanders (you aren't, best I remember). You can game plan around not having elite TE talent. Being average at RB behind an OL that still has to prove itself as run blockers is a 4-loss sentence outside of a flawless year from TM.

Yep. Average RB's, LB's that miss lots of tackles, lack of DT depth,.... would be much bigger concerns. Not saying these will become the issues, but those seem to be the biggest areas of concern for CJF.

But regarding RB's, to me it's still an unknown. Gotta give Sanders, Brown, and Slade a chance to show their stuff. I've seen enough of Allen to believe he is too average to lead a top team.

Here's a good summary of the areas that seem to have bigger questions....

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...l-is-the-team-you-expected-it-to-be-117580343

Last edited:
We are fine at running back with Sanders Slade and Journey along with Allen, have at least a good OL, have very good and fast wide receivers, and the best QB in the conference who himself is an outstanding runner. I’m not concerned about the offense other than the place kicking game.

Reactions: TheGLOV

I'm far more concerned about RB as well but that gets thrown out around here so TE is really the only spot on the offense to show concern about. Maybe the OL but I think they'll be at least as solid as last year. I don't think the TE position will necessary cost us a game but we need to find a TE that, at the very least, can block. We have enough weapons at WR that we don't need Gesicki like production.

We are fine at running back with Sanders Slade and Journey along with Allen, have at least a good OL, have very good and fast wide receivers, and the best QB in the conference who himself is an outstanding runner. I’m not concerned about the offense other than the place kicking game.

None of those guys have proven anything yet. I still think Slade is the man by October but if that doesn't happen we could be in trouble.

honestly, I never take much from the Blue White game...game calling is vanilla and we rarely show much in that scrimmage. I would not get too worried about any position group based on yesterday.

I'm far more concerned about RB as well but that gets thrown out around here so TE is really the only spot on the offense to show concern about. Maybe the OL but I think they'll be at least as solid as last year. I don't think the TE position will necessary cost us a game but we need to find a TE that, at the very least, can block. We have enough weapons at WR that we don't need Gesicki like production.

This is the season that likely shows how we compare to Ohio State. Do we have to rebuild with key losses or can we reload and keep winning 10+ a season?

Gesicki could not block. Getting average blocking from any TE will be an improvement there. Receiving wise, unless someone explodes, definitive drop off. Could be 5-10 year before we replicate his production.

If Sanders or Slade can put their heads down and change the negative plays into two yard gains we will be absolutely fine. I don't know that either could carry a team with weak OL as Barkley did, but that should not be the case this year.

Holland was excellent in the BW game in 2017. He has potential if he can stay healthy and/or out of the dog house.

I was thinking Daniel Joseph might have been given a look at a TE this spring. He was a pretty good TE in high school and there is a load of depth at DE. I suspect the coaching staff believes in the current group they have. DD looked fine yesterday. But I'm hoping Holland and Bowers get healthy for the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT