ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise Team?

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
There's a good bit of knowledge in this community, beyond Penn State wrestling. Is there a D1 team that has surprised anyone (in a good way)? Just curious...I have one in mind, wondered what others think. Good overall to have improving programs.

Reactions: diggerpup
Second that Moore is really doing a nice job, also feel Pitt is recovering, just need to lay off the hookers. Seems like Virginia is having some nice success. On the other hand OKLAHOMA is a wreck and perennially top 10 Rutgets is going in the wrong direction. Alot of talent is going to waste.

Reactions: garw and diggerpup
Not a huge surprise but Oklahoma State is actually doing quite well even with all the injuries.

Edit: and now I see Gfeller might be hurt

Last edited:
Reactions: CholleyVandine
OMG I had the same opinion as El-Jefe. I might as well become a Hawks fan. Apparently I'm already delusional so I'm half way there.

UM.

Knocking off the Bucknuts in Columbus caught my attention.

Btw, for anyone watching the tOSU v UM match, were you flabbergasted at the lack of effort on Moore's part to go for tech fall or fall. Was surprised at his lackluster effort, especially with the dual on the line.

Reactions: garw and danoftw
UM.

Knocking off the Bucknuts in Columbus caught my attention.

Btw, for anyone watching the tOSU v UM match, were you flabbergasted at the lack of effort on Moore's part to go for tech fall or fall. Was surprised at his lackluster effort, especially with the dual on the line.
I think he was gassed...

Reactions: danoftw
Not a huge surprise but Oklahoma State is actually doing quite well even with all the injuries.

Edit: and now I see Gfeller might be hurt
It was actually Boo Lewallen. First match back and hurt the shoulder again. He’s now out for the year and Gfeller will be the guy at 149

I think he was gassed...
I thought he was on empty also. I think Moore cuts a lot of weight and has problem in the 3rd.
Rasheed has to take it to him and hopefully gets to put a good ride on him.
I thought he gassed against Cassar last year.

I thought he was on empty also. I think Moore cuts a lot of weight and has problem in the 3rd.
Rasheed has to take it to him and hopefully gets to put a good ride on him.
I thought he gassed against Cassar last year.
That will be Bo Taking it to him. I was impressed with the Smith kid that wrestled in Campbell's spot, he's tough.

Reactions: nitlion6
Utah Valley Wolverines

They beat Purdue by 17 (we beat Purdue by 20). They also kept it close against Wisconsin. They beat Rutgers easily, although based on Rutgers season guess that's nothing to brag about.

I think he was gassed...
He doesn't seem to enjoy going the distance. Saw they last year with Cassar. Keep the match going and it gets better with age vs. Moore. And, he is a hometown boy from a neighboring school district near our home in NC Ahia. Big fish in a small pond now discovering the joys of equal competition.

Reactions: diggerpup
That will be Bo Taking it to him. I was impressed with the Smith kid that wrestled in Campbell's spot, he's tough.
My bad , it should be Bo.
Bo should push the issue and wear Moore down looking for something big later in match. I think Bo learned a lot his first couple of years on going big early in a match against a quality kid.
We all know what he did last year in the finals but that was a unigue counter on Martin.

VT was pretty impressive @ Grace, though the Mts. had just wrestled the night before and were dragging. Same deal this weekend coming... Who made this schedule?

Utah Valley Wolverines

They beat Purdue by 17 (we beat Purdue by 20). They also kept it close against Wisconsin. They beat Rutgers easily, although based on Rutgers season guess that's nothing to brag about.
We would have beat Purdue by at least 26 if you take away the injury loss by RBY.

Recap
Schools mentioned, with their 2018 NCAA finish, along with their current InterMat and WrestleStat tournament rankings (InterMat first). Added two schools, UNI and Northwestern, as their current ranking is a good bit higher that their 2018 NCAA finish. Whether that makes them a "surprise" or not, you can make up your own minds.

Lock Haven: 2018 NCAA Finish - 16, Current Rankings - 21, 34
Wyoming: 2018 NCAA Finish - T17, Current Rankings - NR, 28
Pittsburgh: 2018 NCAA Finish - T31, Current Rankings - 24, 18
Iowa State: 2018 NCAA Finish - T45, Current Rankings - 22, 21
Wisconsin: 2018 NCAA Finish - T17, Current Rankings - 17, 16
Oklahoma St: 2018 NCAA Finish - T13, Current Rankings - 4, 2
Michigan: 2018 NCAA Finish - T4, Current Rankings - 5, 5
Princeton: 2018 NCAA Finish - 26, Current Rankings - 10, 7
Utah Valley: 2018 NCAA Finish - T43, Current Rankings - NR, 41
Campbell: 2018 NCAA Finish - T56, Current Rankings - NR, 53
George Mason: 2018 NCAA Finish - T56, Current Rankings - NR, 48
Virginia Tech: 2018 NCAA Finish - 8, Current Rankings - 15, 10
Purdue: 2018 NCAA Finish - T28, Current Rankings - NR, 44
UNI: 2018 NCAA Finish - T24, Current Rankings - 16, 8
Northwestern: 2018 NCAA Finish - T24, Current Rankings - 11, 14

2019 NCAA finishes obviously not yet in, so time will tell if any current "surprises" will play out as great years by the teams noted. Solely based on current rankings vs 2018 NCAA finish, Iowa State, Princeton, UNI, and Northwestern look to be the most improved, and Pittsburgh too. Oklahoma State appears so too, though they significantly underperformed at the Championships, so it's not quite the surprise as the other schools.

For those that are actually performing worse than their 2018 finish, Lock Haven, Virginia Tech, and Purdue are worth noting. The rest are in the ballpark of how they performed last season.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
I think that the team finish in the NCAA tournament below the top 20 is almost meaningless. It only takes one quality wrestler to move a bunch in the standings.

I think that the team finish in the NCAA tournament below the top 20 is almost meaningless. It only takes one quality wrestler to move a bunch in the standings.
Disagree. Those other 57 teams outside the top-20 have dreams too. Cheering for your couple of guys that qualify, hope they over-achieve, helping their team move up that ladder. Helps with recruiting, etc. It's not just about the top-20, imo.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Disagree. Those other 57 teams outside the top-20 have dreams too. Cheering for your couple of guys that qualify, hope they over-achieve, helping their team move up that ladder. Helps with recruiting, etc. It's not just about the top-20, imo.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that those finishes aren't important. I only meant that finishing 45th one year and 33rd the next was not necessarily a measure of year-to-year improvement as it relates to the "surprise" topic of the thread.

I was thinking of duals, not the tournament. After all, duals DO matter :)Wyoming, to me, has solidified the lineup to where they are competitive across the board. May not beat last years finalist in a tournament setting.

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT