ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise Decision???

I guess I was more surprised how much Martin dominated the entire match.

Yeah. Not really surprised that Martin won, but the margin of victory is eye-opening. Maybe Dudley became disinterested in the 3rd period again, as he did against Nickal??

Martin dominated. Only good thing Dudley did was ride him for a minute. Beating.

Surprised to hear about Brands ducking Jackson? I believe Jackson is undefeated in Big duals. He will be 2 seed. The fight is for the 3 seed. Martin beat Dudley Brooks beat Martin. If Dudley beats Brooks I would go

1 Bo 2 Jackson 3 Martin 4 Dudley.

If Brooks wins then he's 3 and Martin 4.

Surprised to hear about Brands ducking Jackson? I believe Jackson is undefeated in Big duals. He will be 2 seed. The fight is for the 3 seed. Martin beat Dudley Brooks beat Martin. If Dudley beats Brooks I would go

What if Jackson loses to Parker on Sunday? And Brooks beats Dudley? I think Brooks would be 2 seed in that scenario. Then it should be Jackson 3 Martin 4 and Dudley 5

Brooks and Jackson are 1-1 with Brooks having the most recent win.

Another interesting note is Manning ducked Jackson as well?? Are all these coaches scared of Jackson....

I will never say the kid ducked I will always say the coach did. I can't imagine kids at this level ducking anyone other than Downey since the coach actually clarified he ducked Boyd

Reactions: lionlover
I don't see Jackson getting the 2 seed. I know they weren't conference duals but he went 1-2 against Dudley and Brooks at Midlands. The coaches vote for the seeding at the Big 10 tourney so I think this would factor in. I know they are supposed to give the most weight to duals but who knows if that actually happens.

I don't see Jackson getting the 2 seed. I know they weren't conference duals but he went 1-2 against Dudley and Brooks at Midlands. The coaches vote for the seeding at the Big 10 tourney so I think this would factor in. I know they are supposed to give the most weight to duals but who knows if that actually happens.

You may be right, I'm not sure. But I also would think if it comes up for a vote the Indiana coach is going to bring up the fact that his kid was on the mat for both duals and the other guys were no shows

Reactions: lionlover
You may be right, I'm not sure. But I also would think if it comes up for a vote the Indiana coach is going to bring up the fact that his kid was on the mat for both duals and the other guys were no shows
And Goldman would have every right to bring that up. I guess at the end of the day everyone has to show up for Big 10s and let the chips fall where they may. It's going to be a fun weight class along with 133.

Yeah but Brooks just oranged out for the rubber match, that has to count for something.

Yup...Sammy is an "orange"...describes him perfectly...SMH. Sammy has never ducked anybody in his career. So if it isn't something logical like resting an injury or a sickness, then Brands is holding him out because the dual against Nebby is going to be a lot closer than the dual against Indiana and needs wins at 133,184. Sammy lost to him 3-1 but beat him 10-5 at Midlands. Dudley beat him 10-6...don't think either is scared.

Also, I think whoever wins on Sunday should get the three seed with Jackson getting #2...Sammy is 1-1 with him and it isn't Jackson's fault he or Dudley didn't show up.

I'm not sure how much faith Brands has in Brooks. He doesn't think he can handle wrestling 2 ranked guys in a three day window. I do think Brooks will beat Dudley Sunday, but I believe he would have beat Jackson too. Tom Ryan/Tom Brands- Maybe Tom means duck in some obscure language.

Yup...Sammy is an "orange"...describes him perfectly...SMH. Sammy has never ducked anybody in his career. So if it isn't something logical like resting an injury or a sickness, then Brands is holding him out because the dual against Nebby is going to be a lot closer than the dual against Indiana and needs wins at 133,184. Sammy lost to him 3-1 but beat him 10-5 at Midlands. Dudley beat him 10-6...don't think either is scared.

Also, I think whoever wins on Sunday should get the three seed with Jackson getting #2...Sammy is 1-1 with him and it isn't Jackson's fault he or Dudley didn't show up.

I didn't say he was an orange, I said he "oranged" out. I agree it was likely Brands decision. Maybe Sammy was a little under the weather.

Lets face it, had the shoe been on the other foot and Jackson had appeared to be a healthy scratch, he and his coach would have taken a lot of heat over on the HR. Ryan sure has been the brunt of some harsh criticism for holding wrestlers out to preserve seeds. Those criticisms were often followed by, "but Brands would never do such a thing".

Guess we are all just fans. Its easy to point the finger at another teams wrestlers or coaches, but when it comes to our own team we can find the logic in these kind of decisions.

Martin Dudley Brooks all have 2 losses in Bigs including each other. Martin has 5 losses although all good dont thing he is higher than 4.

Iowa fans have officially lost all ability to criticize Tan Tom's selectively sitting his own guys for dubious reasons.

We PSU fans, however, can rip Tan Tom all day long because Cael would NEVER sit someone without a legitimate reason.

Iowa fans have officially lost all ability to criticize Tan Tom's selectively sitting his own guys for dubious reasons.

We PSU fans, however, can rip Tan Tom all day long because Cael would NEVER sit someone without a legitimate reason.

I agree. It goes against his philosophy. Cael (and wrestlers) aren't playing for Big Ten seeds. The best are coming to PSU because they want to become World and Olympic Champs. If that is your goal, you don't worry about seedings as every day is about the process of getting better. You wrestle who is in front of you next.

I agree. It goes against his philosophy. Cael (and wrestlers) aren't playing for Big Ten seeds. The best are coming to PSU because they want to become World and Olympic Champs. If that is your goal, you don't worry about seedings as every day is about the process of getting better. You wrestle who is in front of you next.

Correct. Cael challenges his wrestlers to constantly push themselves to improve. Part of the way you do this is to wrestle the best competition. There is no thought given to seeds, big tens, national titles. If you are constantly improving the rest will take care of itself.
Apparently Tan Tom and Bouncy Brands have different philosophies.

With that straightened out...what are your thoughts on MyMar AA'ing?

Still don't see it - he is now 1-5 against Top 10 ranked wrestlers. I still don't think he'll make the B1G Champ Bracket finals (he's got two B1G dual reg-season losses going into B1G Tourney) - still like Brooks or Jackson over Martin to make it into B1G final....will be interesting to see how B1G brackets break - would assume Brooks is 2-seed and Martin will likely end up either 3 or 4 seed.

Remember that time Cael sat two returning AA's (who were totally not ducking Delgado and Streibler) and a ready to go freshman in Nolf and the team finished 6th which basically ceded a whole season? Yea, me neither ;)

Reactions: GEEKMEDIC
Remember that time Cael sat two returning AA's (who were totally not ducking Delgado and Streibler) and a ready to go freshman in Nolf and the team finished 6th which basically ceded a whole season? Yea, me neither ;)
If the Alton twins would have been able to go that year, Cael might have come up with a different plan.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Personally I'm not in the camp that thinks Ryan, etal hold out kids to duck opponents. However, are seriously holding out your starter from a dual is the same as not having a redshirting wrestler compete? That is BEYOND ridiculous.

Come on AZChief, that one is quite a reach on your part. You are usually much better than that.

Redshirts were planned the whole way for both of them Chief. Night and day difference between that, and ducking someone late in the season.

So this is just ridiculous. But it is okay for Iowa or any college freshman to redshirt all their guys right away? I guess they are ducking all competition their first year?Just maybe it is admirable and being a team player for a guy like Megaludis and Retherford to jump right into action their true freshman year and put it all on the line! Tell me who they were ducking then?! Who gives a crap when a guy takes his redshirt? With your logic, I can not believe TNT is sitting Marinelli(who is totally not ducking Imar and all the other hammers at 165).;)

Reactions: NittanyChris
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT