ADVERTISEMENT

Still scratching my head why we didn't wrestle anyone at 184

Shak has been a part of the team for a long time, he is the planned starter at that weight and they had an 184 pounder in tow. Now if you know something the rest of us don't. Your little fit is ike the staff knew the kid was going to be scratched at the scale for something other than weight and still planned on using him.
The difficulty some having in understanding the simplicity of the answer is quite baffling.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Why do you take somebody on trip that you know isn't ready to go?

I was asking the same question. The only thing that makes sense to me is you wanted Shak to weigh in so ASU would not know he wasn’t going that night and so they wouldn’t bump up Zahid to 197. Edsell’s skin issue was bad luck.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Why do you take somebody on trip that you know isn't ready to go?

Sorry, not my typical response...there’s just been a ton of negative after a 1 point loss and I guess it got to me. I felt like this topic had been beaten to death, but maybe that’s just me because I check the boards often and follow lots of wrestling stuff on social media...

As for why they’d take Shak with no intention of wrestling him, who knows...they did the same with Berge that very same night. Maybe it’s for camaraderie? Maybe to get them used to making weight during travel? One thing we should all know by now though, it’s not like we’ll ever know “the plan,” we can just be pretty sure that we’ll like the end result in March.

A starter coming off injury travels and weights in to get his body back on schedule. Cutting weight is an art, obviously some of you have never done it. Didnt like the outcome but traveling and weighting in Shak was the right call. Coaches see the big picture and that's March.

I heard it was because Cael has never forgiven Zahid for not coming to PSU, and didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of a big win in front of a record home crowd. Reports are also out that he kicked a puppy yesterday, hates Christmas, and has been recruiting over Casey’s kids. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's weird, but that is two "skin check" losses to top programs traveling across the country in a couple weeks.

It's weird, but that is two "skin check" losses to top programs traveling across the country in a couple weeks.
giphy.gif

he's taking an olympic shirt he couldn't wrestle
Thanks. I was just messing with OP. I noticed my smiley face didn't come through. In all seriousness, it would've been nice to have Mason for situations like this similar to last year. Looking forward to having him back next year!

Reactions: csiebott
I was asking the same question. The only thing that makes sense to me is you wanted Shak to weigh in so ASU would not know he wasn’t going that night and so they wouldn’t bump up Zahid to 197. Edsell’s skin issue was bad luck.
Unless I'm mistaken (which has been known to happen before!) doesn't a pin have a higher criteria than a forfeit when the final score is tied? Just thinking that it could have been a coaching consideration when calculating an outcome.

Unless I'm mistaken (which has been known to happen before!) doesn't a pin have a higher criteria than a forfeit when the final score is tied? Just thinking that it could have been a coaching consideration when calculating an outcome.

You are mistaken. Here is the rule.

Section 21. Breaking Ties in Dual Meets and Team-Advancement Tournaments When two teams finish in a tie in a dual meet or a team-advancement tournament, the following criteria shall be applied to determine a winner: a. Greater number of victories. Note: Forfeits, defaults and disqualifications count toward total number of victories. b. Combined total number of falls, forfeits, defaults and disqualifications.

Reactions: Dogwelder
You are now mistaken for a second time. :)

• 3.15.1 Greater number of victories. Note: Forfeits, defaults and disqualifications count toward total number of victories.
  • 3.15.2 Combined total number of falls, forfeits, defaults and disqualifications.
  • 3.15.3 Total match points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
  • 3.15.4 Total near fall points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
    (Example: N-2 + N-2 + N-4 = Total of 8 near fall points scored for one team.)
  • 3.15.5 Total number of takedowns scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
    (Example: T-2 + T-2 + T-2 = Total of 3 takedowns scored for one team.)
  • 3.15.6 Least number of unsportsmanlike conduct calls.
  • 3.15.7 First takedown scored of the dual meet.

You are now mistaken for a second time. :)

• 3.15.1 Greater number of victories. Note: Forfeits, defaults and disqualifications count toward total number of victories.
  • 3.15.2 Combined total number of falls, forfeits, defaults and disqualifications.
  • 3.15.3 Total match points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
  • 3.15.4 Total near fall points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
    (Example: N-2 + N-2 + N-4 = Total of 8 near fall points scored for one team.)
  • 3.15.5 Total number of takedowns scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
    (Example: T-2 + T-2 + T-2 = Total of 3 takedowns scored for one team.)
  • 3.15.6 Least number of unsportsmanlike conduct calls.
  • 3.15.7 First takedown scored of the dual meet.
thanks for posting that. Now if Lee had gotten a pin, we would have tied the 2nd tiebreaker. I'm too lazy to figure out who would have won had the rest of the match played out the same (though it would seem very possible Cassar gets a major if he knew he didn't need the tech/pin), but maybe someone else will

If the coaches and rest of the team, including the able bodies that got left back in SC,are OK with the unfortunate consequences of deciding to take wrestlers who “deserve” to make the trip,yet no way could take the mat,then ultimately facing the fact of the forfeit having a huge impact on the outcome of a very winnable dual, then by all means,we should be too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 86MGR
If the coaches and rest of the team, including the able bodies that got left back in SC,are OK with the unfortunate consequences of deciding to take wrestlers who “deserve” to make the trip,then ultimately facing the fact of the forfeit having a huge impact on the outcome, then by all means,we should be too.

They can't take the entire team on the road to account for every possible unexpected contingency. Edsell was the able body they planned to use -- please just accept that and move on.

I think CFJisJoepall is the new name that the guy that used to be GR, GetReal, BushwoodCC, and a bunch of other handles uses now. There is something wrong with this guy.

Seriously stop! He had every intention of wrestling Edsell, until he failed skin check at weigh ins.
I don't think he traveled to Arizona, so he must have failed in Pennsylvania. Pretty sure CP said that. And whoever keeps saying should have went to the third-string guy . . . there is no third-string guy. Please see Diceman's eligibility chart.

Last edited:
As a team you just move on. As a fan I look how the evening played out as witnessing the potential concerns for how this season plays out.
Berge has not proven his ability in folk style at the 157 weight. I will be far more comfortable seeing some mat time for him.
I would hope we'll know more about Rasheed by January. Typical ACL football injury recovery time is 9 -10 months.
197 is going be interesting to see how it plays out. Everybody is calling for Beard but I would think Conel gets a couple more matches before decision is made.
Let's see how Lehigh match plays out. Lehigh beat Ok St on a forfiefit because 2 kids couldn't go at a weight.
Sound familiar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT