ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson intends to use final year of eligibility

I genuinely think Steveson believed he was retiring from wrestling. Then he had some health issue, and from the sounds of it the WWE stuff isn’t quite working out. Now he has eligibility left and is choosing to use it while he can. Maybe grab a bag of NIL along the way.

That is my immediate reaction as well.

Make a big scene about retiring from college wrestling, then "unretire" the following year? C'mon, man.
Excited 2018 Nfl GIF by New England Patriots

I like to contrast our unassuming mechanic, Nick Lee, with the “know-that-I-walk-on-water” Steveson. Unless I’m mistaken, both have the same number of NCAA titles, US Open wins, and World Team berths. Hate to admit it, but I dislike Gable’s grandstanding so much, I’ll now root against him at Belgrade. My petty side peaking through.
Man, that's a tough take. You can't say Gable doesn't have some amazing abilities on the mat. I guess I might crack a smile if Geno beats him w/ a Cael ankle pick, or an Ant-The-Champ go-behind though.

I'm definitely in the camp that Gable isn't looking to transfer schools. He's not in the portal, right?

So you distrust all your incoming transfers, who have all stated it wasn't about money?
I distrust a guy who has left the college scene with great fanfare to get on with his life’s work, then decides to come back for what looks to be only more fanfare and cash. From what I see, other transfers don’t have his resume, but are mainly looking for a chance for coaching improvement to help them win an NCAA title. Not naïve to think NIL money doesn’t speak to them, as well, but believe ours truly feel that our room and coaches are their best chance at an individual crown. But, hey, I just got my medicare card this week, so I’m officially old and losing it. Kinda love the drama, though, and all the overheating on GIA about Gable’s destiny to go there. We’ll all wait and see.

Man, that's a tough take. You can't say Gable doesn't have some amazing abilities on the mat. I guess I might crack a smile if Geno beats him w/ a Cael ankle pick, or an Ant-The-Champ go-behind though.

I'm definitely in the camp that Gable isn't looking to transfer schools. He's not in the portal, right?
This was just a grumpy post from me. I know Gable is great and has done far more post-college than Nick, but I get really irritated at what I'll always believe was a play for more fame and cash.

This was just a grumpy post from me. I know Gable is great and has done far more post-college than Nick, but I get really irritated at what I'll always believe was a play for more fame and cash.
We could wait until we have one piece of actual information before we start condemning him. It's entirely possible he just missed competing in college and wanted to take his last opportunity to do so.

We could wait until we have one piece of actual information before we start condemning him. It's entirely possible he just missed competing in college and wanted to take his last opportunity to do so.
You're right. The more I've cooled down, the more I wish him the best. If I had his skills, nothing says I wouldn't do the same. Nothing wrong with enjoying the competition, fame, and a little extra pocket money.

Steveson is a beast. Would love to see Cassar come back to try to slay him again. I think he had one more year of eligibility left.

Could be epic and a big draw for the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT