ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson intends to use final year of eligibility

I like to contrast our unassuming mechanic, Nick Lee, with the “know-that-I-walk-on-water” Steveson. Unless I’m mistaken, both have the same number of NCAA titles, US Open wins, and World Team berths. Hate to admit it, but I dislike Gable’s grandstanding so much, I’ll now root against him at Belgrade. My petty side peaking through.

Very true. I just really think he returns to Minnesota with the money he has and will continue to receive from WWE
I'd give back a little respect if he did that, though I'm guessing he'll take the best offer. I'll never believe it's NOT about money.

Vince is paying him enough that he won’t want to seek out money elsewhere? Yea, I doubt it.

Add in having a chance at a Natty
A chance at winning a natty? He can't do that at Minnesota where he has already won 2?

Last edited:
Hmm, so 25 instant March points up for grabs to the highest NIL sack. Iowa is stuffing their bag as we speak, Cass be damned. I’m pulling for Michigan, Missouri, or Iowa State to win the “I-failed-WWE-and-desperately-crave-relevance” sweepstakes. Generational, sure, but too “look-at-me-love-me” for my tastes, like the ever-flexing car triplets. Love to see a Ramos-like upset against yet another prima donna craving nothing but limelight and a second shoe drop. Win or lose, I want Kerk.
Don't waste your time rooting for Michigan to land him. They picked up Davison.

Also, don't waste your time because there's zero evidence he wants to go anywhere other than Minny. Just a couple people spitballing.

Not that my opinion matters at all, but I’m ok with Steveson and his eligibility due to him only being 23 all next year. I’ve said it before, when a kid is no longer eligible for U23, he should also no longer be eligible for college wrestling. Their eligibility should end on their 24th birthday. Just my opinion and I’m sure there are numerous reasons it doesn’t make sense. I just don’t want to see 24/25/26 year olds wrestling 18 year olds. I’m over it. That’s what men’s senior level is for.
When I was competing Lazaro Reinoso was wrestling Division 2 in his 30’s I believe. He is the Cuban who beat John Smith and won bronze at the 1992 Olympics. Came to get an education and wrestle. I thought he never won a title but I just looked and he did in his junior year. 4 time AA for Carson Newman

Last edited:
I really hope he stays at Minnesota. I would be quite surprised if he went elsewhere but $ does change things

Not sure how it would be better for him than just wrestling senior level events in the lead up.

Frankly I think it looks a bit dumb after the retirement tour and the shoes in the mat and the big NCAA closing flip.
It’s silly season. If WWE gave him a big signing bonus and invested in a training center for him ….. one would think they would want to protect their asset. Their ROI to date is fairly close to zero. If WWE seeks to leverage a 2nd gold medal, … Senior level freestyle bouts would be more valuable than wrestling 12-15 college shlubs and a 3-4 semi-competitive studs.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Steveson to Iowa and Kerk beating him at NCAAs would be pretty great.
Hendrickson probably has the best chance just due to his mat game and propensity to turn guys. How he gets there is the tough part, besides taking top — if he gets that far.

Now if we’re talking real longshots, can we get AJ against Gable at heavy?

Reactions: hlstone
Senior level freestyle bouts would be more valuable than wrestling 12-15 college shlubs and a 3-4 semi-competitive studs.
Realistically he could do both. There are only about 3-4 worthwhile senior freestyle events during the college wrestling season (one conflicting with B10s).

But I don't think he will go to those. He has competed in 2 senior-level international freestyle events ever: the Olympics, and Pan Ams 10 weeks earlier. I'd expect similar. Why change what worked? Why go to Henri Deglane or Yarygin and let the top guys in the world have more chances to figure him out?

Gable sure looked good at the Open and Final X, but I'm wondering if there are any lingering issues/concerns with his health after his heart surgery/medical procedure back in September. Perhaps that impacts his WWE future prospects?

Gable coming back anywhere but MN is insanity. That dude is loved and it sure seems like he loves it back. Brock went there. He wins NCAA on ESPN, wins gold, then turns into some shitty gimmick on RAW.

I wish him the best, but I don't trust WWE creative.

I did think it was a bit odd that his singlet had no Gopher WC logos and only his own name all over it, but think there is absolutely 0 smoke to that fire.

Gable coming back anywhere but MN is insanity. That dude is loved and it sure seems like he loves it back. Brock went there. He wins NCAA on ESPN, wins gold, then turns into some shitty gimmick on RAW.

I wish him the best, but I don't trust WWE creative.

I did think it was a bit odd that his singlet had no Gopher WC logos and only his own name all over it, but think there is absolutely 0 smoke to that fire.
Are you saying Minnesota is his Dream School?

Reactions: District four
OK, the more I think about it... He goes to Iowa and creates this buzz storyline for NCAAs about going to the school his namesake made a staple in the sport, hoping to transition those eyes to he WWE product.

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Are you saying Minnesota is his Dream School?
I'm saying they treat him like royalty around here and stuck by him during an alleged sexual assault case. He isn't shy about loving attention. I would guess/assume he has a great relationship with the staff. I'd just be baffled. It is a new era, though.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'm saying they treat him like royalty around here and stuck by him during an alleged sexual assault case. He isn't shy about loving attention. I would guess/assume he has a great relationship with the staff. I'd just be baffled. It is a new era, though.
I think there’s a very real world where he realizes he may not become the next Brock Lesnar and if that’s the case his best path to a big payday is conning Bob Nicolls out of money. Either that or agreeing to get punched in the face for a living.

I think there’s a very real world where he realizes he may not become the next Brock Lesnar and if that’s the case his best path to a big payday is conning Bob Nicolls out of money. Either that or agreeing to get punched in the face for a living.

Nobody cons Slumlord Bob out of his 💰.

If I’m Gable and another Olympic gold is the goal, I’m pulling a Dake and heading to NLWC for three reasons: the best coaching in the US; the best training partners in the US; and, denying my biggest threats to Olympic gold (is it Geno or Akgul that regularly train at NLWC?) from the coaches and training partners at NLWC.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
If I’m Gable and another Olympic gold is the goal, I’m pulling a Dake and heading to NLWC for three reasons: the best coaching in the US; the best training partners in the US; and, denying my biggest threats to Olympic gold (is it Geno or Akgul that regularly train at NLWC?) from the coaches and training partners at NLWC.
Plus Kerk could take an ORS, Gable could plug in at 285 this season and heads would explode (especially in Iowa City when the team score record at NCAAs is shattered). 😂

Don't waste your time rooting for Michigan to land him. They picked up Davison.

Also, don't waste your time because there's zero evidence he wants to go anywhere other than Minny. Just a couple people spitballing.
I don’t know bud. There has definitely been conversations about it. I went to bed last night with a smile. I woke up this morning wondering what the implications this would have for college wrestling. If an Olympic gold medalist decides to switch schools then truly no one is off limits. As someone wrote above it is truly silly season!

why wouldn't he just go back to Minny?
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Frankly I think it looks a bit dumb after the retirement tour and the shoes in the mat and the big NCAA closing flip.
That is my immediate reaction as well.

Make a big scene about retiring from college wrestling, then "unretire" the following year? C'mon, man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT