ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens Transfer Portal

Can’t blame him if he thinks he’ll get a more surefire opportunity to start elsewhere, this is his last shot.

I certainly hope he comes back and competes for the job with Clifford, but I’m really, really, really high on what Clifford can do if given the opportunity - even if it does come down to a competition this summer. Hope Stevens is able to get healthy.

Reactions: rileyva
I'm not going to pretend to know the details, but would assume this means he's being passed on the depth chart. If this is true, this is a good thing IMO.

I don't like the idea of a 1-year starter at the QB position. If Clifford happens to be the guy, he and the offense have a few years to build on.

Last edited:
He might have received news he didn't want to hear directly after the spring game.

Franklin may have also approached him about an open competition come August - if he were to lose the job to Clifford at that point, there's a pretty limited chance to transfer at that point. Could be hard to take that risk.

Reactions: flash86
I’m a Clifford guy but now Roberson and/or Johnson have to step up their game. Neither looked too comfortable in the BW game, especially Johnson.

Need to have a 3rd QB ready.

Last edited:
Maybe he read the McAndrew board and his feelings were hurt.
Not surprised, Stevens has been a strong contributor to the program when able to perform. This move may be best for all parties. Would be tough for Stevens if he can't find a starting role somewhere. While discussing the portal anyone notice the proposal that grad transfers must complete their Master's in one year OR be counted for two years against the scholarship limit? Thoughts?

https://onwardstate.com/2019/04/17/tommy-stevens-enters-transfer-portal/

Penn State football quarterback Tommy Stevens entered his name in the NCAA’s transfer portal on Wednesday, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.

Stevens also explored a transfer before the 2018 season, but he ultimately decided to stay in Happy Valley. Unlike last year, the quarterback’s transfer process will be much more public, which is one of head coach James Franklin’s major gripes with the transfer portal.

Several Nittany Lions have entered the NCAA’s transfer portal this offseason, including wide receiver Juwan Johnson and safety Lamont Wade. Johnson ultimately decided to finish his college football career at Oregon, but Wade opted to return to Penn State and compete for snaps at safety.

The portal allows players to look at other options without asking for their coaching staff’s permission. However, entering the portal isn’t a binding agreement that forces players to leave their previous school, as evidenced by Wade’s return to the Nittany Lions.

Throughout spring practice, Stevens and redshirt sophomore Sean Clifford competed to replace Trace McSorley as the Nittany Lions’ starting quarterback. The graduate senior was limited throughout the practice due to a nagging lower-body injury that impacted him throughout the 2018 season, and he didn’t play in the Blue-White game.

We’ll update this post with more information as it becomes available

This excites me as I think Clifford can be very special. He can concentrate on taking all the reps with the 1s now and build that chemistry. I wish TS the best of luck in his future endeavors and really hope he can stay healthy and land somewhere that is a good fit and jump in as QB1 right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT