ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling Jenkins?

Eurotrash1

Jun 26, 2015
How much worse than Paris Palmer can he be? He has a ton more upside. If Palmer doesn't play better this week...I say let him learn under fire.

How much worse than Paris Palmer can he be? He has a ton more upside. If Palmer doesn't play better this week...I say let him learn under fire.

The thing is, what you - or any of the other self-proclaimed experts on the board - "say" doesn't make $hits hit of difference. Makes no difference at all...none....zero....completely irrelevant as it should be. Just out of curiousity, what precisely is your opinion based upon that we would be better off starting SJ given that you've never seen either of them performing even drills side by side, let alone full-contact scrimmaging in practice, nor are you paid as your profession (e.g., a true expert) to evaluate such things.

Reactions: RobBliz
This would be a very bad idea. I understand the frustration but you don't do that to a true freshman that you hope is a rock on this team for a while to come.

Come on, man...

Reactions: PSU Paul

My guess, just off the top of my head, is he's not ready. I mean c'mon you really think Franklin and staff are not going to play their best players?
If so then they must be masochists because no one in their right mind would want to listen to what Franklin and staff have had to since Sat. evening.

Reactions: royboy
The thing is, what you - or any of the other self-proclaimed experts on the board - "say" doesn't make $hits hit of difference. Makes no difference at all...none....zero....completely irrelevant as it should be. Just out of curiousity, what precisely is your opinion based upon that we would be better off starting SJ given that you've never seen either of them performing even drills side by side, let alone full-contact scrimmaging in practice, nor are you paid as your profession (e.g., a true expert) to evaluate such things.
Nowhere do I say he will play better? What I am asking is how much worse will he be? I have seen Sterling play at the HS level....and honestly he is not very good. He is raw but athletic. My opinion is he needs to play to get better. I definitely do not think he is ready for primetime. However, Palmer isn't either.

And it would be beyond knee-jerk on both levels. Palmer was playing his first game at this level. You run the risk of mentally destroying a true freshman by doing something like this even if you think it might sound right. Jenkins seems like a smart kid but he won't be ready for quite a while.
I didn't say play him this week. I said if Palmer plays just as poor in week 2? Let's face it. If Palmer WERE to struggle against Buffalo...we have a real issue at Left Tackle. If we are going to let someone learn on the job...I prefer it be the guy with the most upside.

Bad idea....grasping at straws. Remember what Joe always said: he'd rather wait a year too long to play a kid than a game too soon (or something like that) when it came to player development. I would think that this is especially true for OL.

I didn't say play him this week. I said if Palmer plays just as poor in week 2? Let's face it. If Palmer WERE to struggle against Buffalo...we have a real issue at Left Tackle. If we are going to let someone learn on the job...I prefer it be the guy with the most upside.

I don't think you have any clue as to how far off Jenkins was. Sorrell would play ahead of him and stop buying into stars and hype along the OL as that is the one position where it doesn't matter. Jenkins needs time to grow into his body and is simply not ready and won't be this year and probably next year.

This was Palmer's FIRST game at this level. He got blown up on a number of plays, but so did the rest of the OL! He is a beast. If he can't learn from his mistakes, and no one on the OL steps up to be a leader, then we are in f'ing trouble.

A few things were mentioned by Lucas and Hamilton during yesterday's press conference that really had me scratching my head, and all of it revolved around a lack of player leadership. That bothers the heck out of me, when I played back in HS I can tell you a lack of leadership by more senior players would have destroyed our team.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
They should move Nelson to LT and Mangiro to RT.
FWIW - I think that is a real possibility.

Really probably depends on how much of a "downgrade" the staff thinks it would be at OC (with Laurent replacing Mangiro).

From what I've seen, I don't think there would be much of a downgrade at OC - with respect to the physical aspects of "playing" at the OC position. I think the key in the mind of the staff would be how would Laurent do (relative to Mangiro) with respect to handling the line audibles that the OC is normally responsible for. Mangiro - obviously - has a TON more playing experience than Laurent - and that would NORMALLY lead to being better able to get the line in-sync with the various defensive fronts they face (though, given the performance to date, one has to wonder if the guy(s) responsible for making those calls aren't screwing up a lot as it is.....only the staff would know that for sure).

If they think Laurent can handle the line calls and audibles, it may be something they look at (even though Mangiro is certainly not a "natural" at OT.....and Nelson is more the prototypical RT, not LT). Gotta' take a real long look at any REASONABLE options to improve the line play.

Ideally, especially since a RS for Palmer is no longer an option, it would be best if Palmer really picked up his game over the next couple weeks - which wouldn't be beyond the realm of reasonable possibility. So, I think they will do everything they can to provide as long a leash as possible in allowing that option (Palmer at LT) to play out, unless/until they are convinced it just isn't going to happen.

Certainly not going to throw a TrFr out there....for so many reasons its not even worth discussing.

I don't think you have any clue as to how far off Jenkins was. Sorrell would play ahead of him and stop buying into stars and hype along the OL as that is the one position where it doesn't matter. Jenkins needs time to grow into his body and is simply not ready and won't be this year and probably next year.

Jenkins is a great prospect due to his size and by all accounts a great kid. But at the end of his last H.S. season less than a year ago he was not even named to his all conference team.

Obviously (to MOST fans) it's not a contest to see how bad the OL can perform this year to chance potential incremental development of kids not now ready to play.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
First off, I should say I am not a fan of the O-line prospects we have. Too many sub 300 pounders. In my opinion, if we cannot pass block, we should at least be able to line up against these lesser teams and play ground and pound football. That is even a stretch with the lineman we have.

First off, I should say I am not a fan of the O-line prospects we have. Too many sub 300 pounders. In my opinion, if we cannot pass block, we should at least be able to line up against these lesser teams and play ground and pound football. That is even a stretch with the lineman we have.

Size is not the only factor that goes into an OL. There are some very athletic 300lbers, but not that many, being an effective OL has a lot to do with footwork, agility, and leg strength. That is why DE and DL who are a bit lighter and quicker can be so effective against OL who can't move their feet, can't leverage themselves correctly, and are not quick to react to a DL's move.

In order to play a true freshman you would need to have a talented group of veterans at the other four positions. I could be wrong but I don't think we have those :)
I believe the last and only true frosh to play OL at PSU was John Blick (I think he was a four year starter at center?). My memory could be off.

Last edited:
Gee, if it were really that simple don't you think the coaches would do it? How many true freshman linemen typically play, much less play well. Hint, not many....Thanks for playing, move along.

And it would be beyond knee-jerk on both levels. Palmer was playing his first game at this level. You run the risk of mentally destroying a true freshman by doing something like this even if you think it might sound right. Jenkins seems like a smart kid but he won't be ready for quite a while.
Hmmmm...."Mentally destroying..."

You mean like what this offensive line has done to Christian Hackenberg?

Jenkins is a great prospect due to his size and by all accounts a great kid. But at the end of his last H.S. season less than a year ago he was not even named to his all conference team.

Obviously (to MOST fans) it's not a contest to see how bad the OL can perform this year to chance potential incremental development of kids not now ready to play.

As opposed to the five in there now who are "ready to play"?

Nobody on this line currently is blocking anyone. Make changes.

Gee, if it were really that simple don't you think the coaches would do it? How many true freshman linemen typically play, much less play well. Hint, not many....Thanks for playing, move along.
And Paris Palmer plays like a true freshman. My point isn't that he shouldn't be given another chance. However, after seeing no improvement since Spring..I'm not sold we will be seeing any soon. So the question is? If we are letting someone develop on the job...why not let it be our best prospect?

The 1982 team was the first CFB team to win the NC while passing for more yards than rushing yards. Reason as I recall JoePa stating was that the line was not ready to run block early in the season and needed a few games to improve. Around game 7 they started to run the ball more...so as Joe would say, it's easier to pass block. Everyone on here seems to think differently.

In order to play a true freshman you would need to have a talented group of veterans at the other four positions. I could be wrong but I don't think we have those :)
I believe the last and only true frosh to play OL at PSU was John Blick (I think he was a four year starter at center?). My memory could be off.

Stefen Wisniewski played a lot as a true freshman in 2007; if I recall, it was at least a few games into the season before he played, but he was a good contributor even as a true frosh. Of course, you're talking about a very smart, talented kid who was eventually an All-American and a 2nd round draft choice.

Have you seen highlights of Michal Menet?
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1856598/highlights/285936387/v2

Yeah, this is against high school kids, but he appears to be a special talent and also described as smart and mature. I wouldn't rule him out for playing some next year, more likely at guard than tackle IMO. Goodness knows OL is a position of need. :)

As opposed to the five in there now who are "ready to play"?

Nobody on this line currently is blocking anyone. Make changes.

Sounds like there will be changes. But the changes will not include putting a kid that 10 months ago couldn't make his all section team in to block oh-high-ya state's 3 deep of 3rd, 4th, and 5th year former 5 star DT's and DE's.........

This is not about "do something, even if it's wrong"..... That plan would suck worse.

Reactions: CappyToCJF
My guess, just off the top of my head, is he's not ready. I mean c'mon you really think Franklin and staff are not going to play their best players?
If so then they must be masochists because no one in their right mind would want to listen to what Franklin and staff have had to since Sat. evening.
I watched the kid play in HS. He's a good recruit because of size and athleticism for the position he plays. He's not ready for a starting role. Hopefully our coaches can develops him

Reactions: GregInPitt
These young OL will improve as the season progresses (practice time and reps). I would not be surprised if a true freshman is starting by game 4 or 5.

I'll be shocked if a true freshman OL even plays this year, let alone starts. I think it's much more likely that if Palmer continues to struggle, the first move will be to replace him with Sorrell. If that doesn't work, they go to the 3-way shift...Nelson to LT, Mangiro to RT and Laurent to C.

I'm also curious to see if Reihner will contribute anything. I expected more from a fifth year guy, even if the previous four were played elsewhere.

Don't forget about Beh and Sorell at OT. Id put either one of them in before Jenkins.

I'll be shocked if a true freshman OL even plays this year, let alone starts. I think it's much more likely that if Palmer continues to struggle, the first move will be to replace him with Sorrell. If that doesn't work, they go to the 3-way shift...Nelson to LT, Mangiro to RT and Laurent to C.

I'm also curious to see if Reihner will contribute anything. I expected more from a fifth year guy, even if the previous four were played elsewhere.
Mahon is the one that will be bumped out to OT imo. Mangiro to guard, and Laurent to center.

My memory's not perfect either. Blick did start as a true freshman, but I thought he was a tackle. Joe Iorio started at center as a true freshman and he was a walk-on.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Blick was a tackle, huge body but soft kid. Pocono kid originally and even at his size he did not dominate kids in HS. I think 2-3 tackles got injured that year and Joe had no other option but Blick.

Last edited:
My memory's not perfect either. Blick did start as a true freshman, but I thought he was a tackle. Joe Iorio started at center as a true freshman and he was a walk-on.

I thought Iorio was one too. The "Moonlight Graham" of PSU football. I used to work with his cousin.... Thanks for the confirmation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT