ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers and Eagles draft 2021

I think the Steelers will go Running Back/O line next year early and often. I'd like to think they'd get a QB if there is one, if they like him- but with such a small window with Ben and a good defense, I think they will wait.

Trask would intrigue me though if he dropped that far.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Take Harris in the first round. He looks like another Derrick Henry so a franchise back. A good run game takes pressure off Ben and eases the blow as we transition to a new QB.

Try to get a good O-lineman in round 2. Ride Ben for one more year while evaluating Rudolph hard. He doesn't look like the answer but maybe a gap fill for a year or 2. We can make a QB move next year or wait a year or two for the right one through the draft or free agency. No guarantee but as they evaluate upcoming QB draft classes perhaps they target a guy who is is a couple years out. Sean Clifford could be available, LOL!
These are my thoughts exactly. By the time they pick in the first round (25ish) the elite QB'S will be gone as will the elite linemen. The top RB in the draft should still be available at that spot for reasonable money on a rookie contract. Unless an A+ lineman drops to 25ish, they should be able to pick up a very good lineman at 50ish in round 2.

That being said, in the last 20 years the Steelers have only picked one RB (Mendenhall) vs. 3 OL in the 1st round in during time (DeCastro, Pouncey, Simmons).

So they'll probably go as usual
1st-CB
2nd-ILB
3rd-OLB
4th-RB
5th-OL
6th-WR
7th-DT

Last edited:
A lot of these strategies are un reasonable given the Steelers will be picking around 20 in the first round. four or five OTs will be off the Board at that point :mad:
Maybe, maybe not, the top RB’s in all the current Mock drafts are not coming off the board until the 20’s. This is a deep, deep draft for OT.

Different opinions are what makes message boards so great. But I want to ask everyone:

What is the difference between Big Ben's first couple years and Dwayne Haskins?

Ben
2004: 13 Games started: 66.4%, 2621 17-11
2005: 12 GS, 62.7%, 2385, 17-9

Haskins:
2019: 7 GS, 58.6%, 1365, 7-7
2020: 6 GS, 61.4%, 1439, 5-7

Starters around Ben: Duce Staley, Jerome Bettis, Plaxico, Hines Ward, Randall-El, Jeramy Tuman
Starters around Haskins: Adrian Peterson, Terry McLaurin, Paul Richardson, Trey Quinn, Steven Sims Jr.

I implore everyone to look up the book: The Other Wes Moore. Two named Wes Moore, two different upbringings, 2 different lives.

Haskins is the 2004 Ben......he was just drafted by the wrong team and the wrong time.

Ben
2004: 13 Games started: 66.4%, 2621 17-11 (2 fumbles)
2005: 12 GS, 62.7%, 2385, 17-9 (2 fumbles)

Haskins:
2019: 7 GS, 58.6%, 1365, 7-7 (6 fumbles)
2020: 6 GS, 61.4%, 1439, 5-7 (6 fumbles)
I added the part you conveniently left out. Haskins 12 fumbles in 13 games.
Ben 4 fumbles in 25 games.

Here's 13 games worth of film. The same that Ben played in as a rookie. I can't believe I even took the time out to do this. He got benched for a guy who nearly had to have his leg amputated last year. Smh

I added the part you conveniently left out. Haskins 12 fumbles in 13 games.
Ben 4 fumbles in 25 games.

Here's 13 games worth of film. The same that Ben played in as a rookie. I can't believe I even took the time out to do this. He got benched for a guy who nearly had to have his leg amputated last year. Smh

good stuff but why does everything end up in an argument with you? And not just with me, but with everyone. Sorry man that I didn’t see the fumbles. My bad. But they were not omitted on purpose.
What I am saying is this. I think a chance on him would benefit the team. His upside is much better than any qb u are going to get past the number 20 pick. That’s all.
Other than that have a good life dude. You are going back on ignore so you can stalk someone else.

• Haha
good stuff but why does everything end up in an argument with you? And not just with me, but with everyone. Sorry man that I didn’t see the fumbles. My bad. But they were not omitted on purpose.
What I am saying is this. I think a chance on him would benefit the team. His upside is much better than any qb u are going to get past the number 20 pick. That’s all.
Other than that have a good life dude. You are going back on ignore so you can stalk someone else.
No idea what upside you see in Haskins but you seem to be the only one convinced

Reactions: BBrown and psu2016
I was just answering your question. ✌🤣

What is the difference between Big Ben's first couple years and Dwayne Haskins?

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown
Haskins would be a huge mistake. Tomlin is a solid coach in a lot ways except one.....discipline. And that is what Haskins needs most. Having put up with Big Ego for 18 years is enough. I could see signing him now and if slips up AT ALL cut him by draft day.
I have no idea who they will draft as they surprise me every year. All I know is they will some receiver in the fourth round that will amaze everyone.....they always do. Shut down corners is where I would go as they have to face three Heisman QBs every year for ten more years, barring injuries. Plus the whole AFC is looking strong. Need O linemen, the D line w Tuit and Hayward are old. Two LBs had serious injuries and are questionable. RB! Need lots of help.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and bison13
This is absolutely a draft where they need to go lineman with the first two picks if they can. Snell and McFarland can be a competent backfield if the guys in front of them can do a decent job of run blocking.

They should just let Dupree walk because they're going to need that money for TJ Watt. Plus highsmith looks like he can be a player and then once Bush gets back the linebacking corps will be solid.

If they need to find Ben's replacement I think there will be a couple teams willing to trade guys for cheaper then a first-round pick or with Pittsburgh having to play a tougher schedule next year they could be out of the playoffs and be in the 13 Or so range to get a better chance at one next year.

Last edited:
Ugh...I hate that mock, Bucks. Etienne is a finesse back. If I had to pick in that draft I would take Cosmi or Brown before I took Etienne. Again, no back will succeed with the Steelers until they overhaul that line. They can't afford over-priced FAs, so they will have to do it through the draft. And there's two/three better, Steeler-style, backs still on the board in this draft. I would rather have a Sermon, or similar back, that will likely still be there when they pick in the second wearing the B&G. Etienne would get killed in preseason with this line.

This is absolutely a draft where they need to go lineman with the first two picks if they can. Snell and McFarland can be a competent backfield if the guys in front of them can do a decent job of run blocking.
I just looked back to see the last time they went OL with the first pick. It was DeCastro in 2012. Since then they've only drafted 5 OL total in the last 8 drafts! It's unbelievable they've been as good as they have as long as they have with basically guys they drafted in the early 2010's mixed with draft day free agents and casts offs.

I think a top end RB would be great, a couple of OL (possibly a center that can play guard until Pounce is done), an ILB to compliment Bush down the road (Vince Williams is losing a step and that position is thin as we saw this year), then best available players.

Vera tucker from USC or Slater from northwestern would be ideal as they both played multiple positions throughout their careers. Slater could play guard then move to center

$22 million of Ben's 2021 salary is signing bonus money that has already been paid and (barring a contract extension) has to be accounted for in 2021. So cutting him saves $19 million in cap space. Definitely a challenging situation. Bad time for the Steelers to lose Omar Khan, their chief negotiator who is reportedly under consideration for the Houston GM position.

Ugh...I hate that mock, Bucks. Etienne is a finesse back. If I had to pick in that draft I would take Cosmi or Brown before I took Etienne. Again, no back will succeed with the Steelers until they overhaul that line. They can't afford over-priced FAs, so they will have to do it through the draft. And there's two/three better, Steeler-style, backs still on the board in this draft. I would rather have a Sermon, or similar back, that will likely still be there when they pick in the second wearing the B&G. Etienne would get killed in preseason with this line.
I understand your Steelers standpoint Thorndike but I am an Eagles fan and would be happy if they took Micah like that mock draft said.

Last edited:
Fair point, Bucks. Count me a 'Steeler-centric'.

I don't know much about the Eagle's needs. What games I watched this season the defense seemed pretty good. You're in good shape at RB. That's about all I know. But if Davonte Smith falls to six (possible!) how to the Eagles pass on him?

I was screaming at the TV when Dobbins was there for their second round pick during last year's draft. Yeah, Claypool is good, but we didn't have a running game that concerned any defensive coordinator last year, or the year before that really. This was the year where the window was open to a possible championship. Your quarterback is returning, you have good receivers on the outside and you picked up a serviceable TE in Ebron. You have what could have been the #1 defense in the league. All you need is a running back. Nope! Tomlin sees a shiny new toy!

Now your OL is aging and not worth another contract. Your aging QB is already worried about getting hit on every play with the OL you have now. The defense can still be very good. But we now need a RB and a bunch of fat kids to push the other fat kids around. The window is closing fast. Chicken or the egg? We need good (better and younger) fat kids and that RB.

I think I draft a whole bunch of fat kids this year. That RB won't be able to block for himself.
I wanted Dobbins as well but man ... Claypool is going to be special ..

You can never rule out the Steelers taking a linebacker, even though it is not the greatest position of need.

Maybe because you asked..."Different opinions are what makes message boards so great. But I want to ask everyone:" 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Haskins would be a huge mistake. Tomlin is a solid coach in a lot ways except one.....discipline. And that is what Haskins needs most. Having put up with Big Ego for 18 years is enough. I could see signing him now and if slips up AT ALL cut him by draft day.
I have no idea who they will draft as they surprise me every year. All I know is they will some receiver in the fourth round that will amaze everyone.....they always do. Shut down corners is where I would go as they have to face three Heisman QBs every year for ten more years, barring injuries. Plus the whole AFC is looking strong. Need O linemen, the D line w Tuit and Hayward are old. Two LBs had serious injuries and are questionable. RB! Need lots of help.

Just from looking at some mock drafts it seems like this is a pretty deep year for OLineman so maybe the Steelers will be able to pick up a good OL and RB even without a 1st round choice.

They should just let Dupree walk because they're going to need that money for TJ Watt. Plus highsmith looks like he can be a player and then once Bush gets back the linebacking corps will be solid.

If they need to find Ben's replacement I think there will be a couple teams willing to trade guys for cheaper then a first-round pick or with Pittsburgh having to play a tougher schedule next year they could be out of the playoffs and be in the 13 Or so range to get a better chance at one next year.

Yea looks like it will be a deep draft for OL so Pittsburgh should be able to get a pretty good one.
You have much more faith in Snell and McFarland than I do, I thought the McFarland pick was horrible and nothing has changed my mind since. I thought Snell would be better. But neither Snell or Conner are good starters. They are good role players.
I would do some serious checking into Sam Darnold and next year is the year Pittsburgh needs to decide what they are going to do with Mason.

Free up some capital:

#1. let Dupree walk. He’s too expensive. Also coming off knee injury.

#2. Likely let Villanueva walk. I like what he represents, but it is a business.

Plan A:
#3. Sign OT in free agency- one young enough so you still get his prime years.

#4. Draft Najee Harris or Etienne with #1 pick.

or
Plan B:
#5. draft Trey Sermon in a later round, use 1st pick on the nastiest OT available (looks to be a good draft for OT)

supplement to both A & B:
#6. Do not overpay Ju-Ju. Be ready to let him walk.

#7. “Ask” Ben to agree to a hometown discount restructuring.

#8. Fill in the pieces, seems to be some quality value guys that can be re-signed.

#9. Find the next QB. (Or at least one better than Rudolph)

I like your plans but I'll pass on Etienne. I think he's a good back but I don't like him with The Steelers.

I like your plans but I'll pass on Etienne. I think he's a good back but I don't like him with The Steelers.
1st choice is Najee. By far. Etienne needs to be in the right situation. He would be fantastic in KC or NO offense but not Seattle or Baltimore. My thought is he could be used like the Steelers used LeVeon. Great catching passes out of the backfield.

Reactions: djr4rebs and BBrown
Kyle Trask will be no better of a pro than Mason Rudolph. If the team has Big Ben for 1 or 2 more years they need to go get Dwayne Haskins for pennies on the dollar. Big time arm, 10 cent head.....but look at the culture he was drafted in to....the WFT are and have always been a mess. Bring Haskins in, let him sit and learn. No pressure and no expectations. all I know is Trask is now the answer ad the next QB.
Ron Rivera will correct the WTF’s culture.

Fair point, Bucks. Count me a 'Steeler-centric'.

I don't know much about the Eagle's needs. What games I watched this season the defense seemed pretty good. You're in good shape at RB. That's about all I know. But if Davonte Smith falls to six (possible!) how to the Eagles pass on him?
Eagles needs are WR, OT, CB AND LB in no random order...a lot of holes. The Eagles best linebacker this year was a CFL castoff, an overachiever, but in no way the difference maker that Micah is.

Yea looks like it will be a deep draft for OL so Pittsburgh should be able to get a pretty good one.
You have much more faith in Snell and McFarland than I do, I thought the McFarland pick was horrible and nothing has changed my mind since. I thought Snell would be better. But neither Snell or Conner are good starters. They are good role players.
I would do some serious checking into Sam Darnold and next year is the year Pittsburgh needs to decide what they are going to do with Mason.
I don't think Snell or McFarland are top-flight backs I was just saying that they can be a competent group if the offensive line is better. McFarland has some speed so I think he could probably bust a few long ones but you're right that neither is a top half starter in the league.
I think darnold would be real good in Pittsburgh so if the Jets do draft fields then Pittsburgh should at least kick the tires

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't think Snell or McFarland are top-flight backs I was just saying that they can be a competent group if the offensive line is better. McFarland has some speed so I think he could probably bust a few long ones but you're right that neither is a top half starter in the league.
I think darnold would be real good in Pittsburgh so if the Jets do draft fields then Pittsburgh should at least kick the tires

+1. The really odd thing with McFarland is that what he is really, really good at, catching passes out of the backfield I very rarely saw Pittsburgh use him like that. 🤷‍♂️

+1. The really odd thing with McFarland is that what he is really, really good at, catching passes out of the backfield I very rarely saw Pittsburgh use him like that. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly. When they drafted him I thought that he would be a good third-down back he could catch some screens or swing passes or maybe take a draw for 20+ yards a few times.

I am in that boat as well. Especially when JK went to Baltimore.
Just like last year, a lot of holes and depth questions for the Steelers-RB, OL-big, LB depth, and DB depth.
I agree with both points. I can see Claypool being a matchup problem for some time and filling a void with the Steelers, especially since they seem to have issues drafting TEs. I do see the need to add a speedier WR.
JK impressed me with his play against Penn State, but I tried to temper my opinion with the quality of his teammates and coaching. It does hurt when a player I thought would be a good pick and fit for the Steelers. JK and the TE Andrews especially come to mind. Baltimore seems to do consistently well in the draft and player development. Their ability to cope with OL losses during the year was amazing and they consistently develop DL and DBs-and pretty much their entire team. Why can't the Steelers draft a productive safety?...maybe they should hire a hacker to get Baltimore's college safety scouting. It does make the game more interesting.

Exactly. When they drafted him I thought that he would be a good third-down back he could catch some screens or swing passes or maybe take a draw for 20+ yards a few times.
I'm with you, not sure why they don't line him up to go deep if for nothing else to clear out some coverage.
Of course, Ben isn't holding the ball long enough for that to happen often enough.

Reactions: bison13
I just looked back to see the last time they went OL with the first pick. It was DeCastro in 2012. Since then they've only drafted 5 OL total in the last 8 drafts! It's unbelievable they've been as good as they have as long as they have with basically guys they drafted in the early 2010's mixed with draft day free agents and casts offs.

I think a top end RB would be great, a couple of OL (possibly a center that can play guard until Pounce is done), an ILB to compliment Bush down the road (Vince Williams is losing a step and that position is thin as we saw this year), then best available players.

Its true about the linemen- but they do have two young guys in the lineup now in Okafor and Dotson- and had Banner lined up to go. The weak links from what I've seen are the old guys Villaneuava, Pouncey, and Decastro has really dropped off too.

So with all that being said- usually in the lower part of round 1, the good Guards or Centers may still be there.

Its true about the linemen- but they do have two young guys in the lineup now in Okafor and Dotson- and had Banner lined up to go. The weak links from what I've seen are the old guys Villaneuava, Pouncey, and Decastro has really dropped off too.

So with all that being said- usually in the lower part of round 1, the good Guards or Centers may still be there.
They have to get Banner signed as he's a FA. They're probably waiting for medical clearance before a deal is made.

Reactions: bison13
Maybe because you asked..."Different opinions are what makes message boards so great. But I want to ask everyone:" 🤷‍♂️
yes sir, different opinions. however, that clown has constantly come at me with things that he believes I leave out on purpose.

You have never done that, you have always given your side and what you believe, etc....you are actually fun to speak with and talk to on his board. He is a clown. But like all good clowns he is now on ignore....

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT