ADVERTISEMENT

State College PIZZA

Speaking as a NYC pizza snob, there are only two places I'll eat pizza in State College, one being Hofbrau in Bellefonte, the other being 8 Mile on Pugh.

The next time you're in NYC, though, I can highly recommend a new place called L'industrie, which immediately moved to the top of all NYC by-the-slice pizza lists. Pic below related, that's a regular slice with buratta on top.

dKsYZjU.jpeg

Last edited:
Speaking as a NYC pizza snob, there are only two places I'll eat pizza in State College, one being Hofbrau in Bellefonte, the other being 8 Mile on Pugh.

The next time you're in NYC, though, I can highly recommend a new place called L'industrie, which immediately moved to the top of all NYC by-the-slice pizza lists. Pic below related, that's a regular slice with buratta on top.

dKsYZjU.jpeg
is Buratta on pizza considered being a SNOB - not my idea of SNOB? more like waster of good pizza! just load it up with pepperoni and feed your fancy green leaves to the backyard rabbits

dKsYZjU.jpeg
Whats the address Tikk?

John's is our current NYC fave. Artichoke is right up there as well.

Whats the address Tikk?

John's is our current NYC fave. Artichoke is right up there as well.
There's one in Brooklyn but this one is at 104 Christopher, which is a short walk from John's. It's not really a sit-down dining experience like John's is. If you want a nearby alternative to John's, try either Lombardi's on Spring St or Arturo's on Houston, both are better than John's in my opinion.

FWIW, the best sit-down pizza experience in NYC is Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint Brooklyn, and it's not even close.

Best by-the-slice is still probably Di Fara's in Midwood Brooklyn (which, unlike Greenpoint, is not easy to get to) but which also has a South Street Seaport location now, run by his kids I think. But I think L'industrie is right there with Di Fara's.

Also worth noting is newcomer Mama Too's in the West Village (less than a block from L'industrie), but which isn't really NYC pizza, mostly Sicilian. Excellent nonetheless, pic below.

434743126_10159847607695812_3585980909937847420_n.jpg

If you can't appreciate Burrata and basil on pizza, I don't know what to tell you. There's always Domino's...

1000s.jpg
@tikk10 : OT question: how are you imbedding your photos into your posts? They don't appear to be linked to off-site hosting. Thanks...

@tikk10 : OT question: how are you imbedding your photos into your posts? They don't appear to be linked to off-site hosting. Thanks...
I typically use Imgur but it's clunky and hit-or-miss. The Mama Too's photo I posted to myself on FB so I could grab the link, and the Domino's I found in a search and just right-clicked to grab the direct URL. Both off-site though.

Reactions: backdrft76
FWIW, the best sit-down pizza experience in NYC is Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint Brooklyn, and it's not even close.

Best by-the-slice is still probably Di Fara's in Midwood Brooklyn (which, unlike Greenpoint, is not easy to get to) but which also has a South Street Seaport location now, run by his kids I think. But I think L'industrie is right there with Di Fara's.

Also worth noting is newcomer Mama Too's in the West Village (less than a block from L'industrie), but which isn't really NYC pizza, mostly Sicilian. Excellent nonetheless, pic below.

434743126_10159847607695812_3585980909937847420_n.jpg
Thanks for great info Tikk. I'm a hand tossed guy so assuming those rectangle options aren't for me hahaha.

Reactions: tikk10
From my experience, there is no really good pizza in State College. An average pizza place from NEPA would make a killing in State College.
I'm pretty snotty about food myself but I really don't see how Faccia Luna isn't decent. Maybe not Hofbrau good but good. You guys are tough. 😂 Plus I always drink enough there to be happy.

Reactions: 12bflying
I'm pretty snotty about food myself but I really don't see how Faccia Luna isn't decent. Maybe not Hofbrau good but good. You guys are tough. 😂 Plus I always drink enough there to be happy.
Facial Luna is decent, probably the best I’ve had in SC. Admittedly, it’s been a number of years since I’ve tried to find a good slice in Happy Vslley, so maybe there is something stellar there now.

There's one in Brooklyn but this one is at 104 Christopher, which is a short walk from John's. It's not really a sit-down dining experience like John's is. If you want a nearby alternative to John's, try either Lombardi's on Spring St or Arturo's on Houston, both are better than John's in my opinion.
We ate at the one almost directly across the street from John's one time, (I think John's was closed)
It was too fancy for this guy, and wasn't that good either. The name eludes me.

Yeah, the pickings are slim but I would agree with Faccia Luna
They don't cook their pizza enough for me personally. You get any toppings on it besides plain cheese and it just gets soggy. I've been getting Little Mama's recently out in Pleasant Gap and it's decent. Overall we don't have a great pizza selection.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
IMO, best pizza in the State College area is at Mamma Lucrezia's in Bellefonte. If you don't want pizza their entree's are some of the best Italian I've had anywhere, including Italy. The place is BYOB, so fill a cooler and bring it in with you. They will provide wine glasses if needed.

Reactions: Hotshoe
They don't cook their pizza enough for me personally. You get any toppings on it besides plain cheese and it just gets soggy. I've been getting Little Mama's recently out in Pleasant Gap and it's decent. Overall we don't have a great pizza selection.
It's one of the main reasons I like 8 mile.. despite the thicker crust it is really crunchy and cooked well around the edges.. No soggy mess..

Reactions: Hazy_Davey
It's one of the main reasons I like 8 mile.. despite the thicker crust it is really crunchy and cooked well around the edges.. No soggy mess..
That's the appeal of Detroit style pizza, the caramelized cheese around the edges. Haven't been to 8 Mile but I plan to try it soon. Actually, I didn't even know it existed. Thank God for this board.

IMO, best pizza in the State College area is at Mamma Lucrezia's in Bellefonte. If you don't want pizza their entree's are some of the best Italian I've had anywhere, including Italy. The place is BYOB, so fill a cooler and bring it in with you. They will provide wine glasses if needed.

Is Mamma Lucrezia's even open anymore? It used to be pretty good, I agree, but didn't they close the restaurant and just start running a catering business or something? For what it's worth, Mamma Lucrezia's pizza was never as good as the Hofbrau.

Reactions: BOSCO2
Best in town…
Facia Luna
Margherita Pizza

Ville Billy in the Nittany Mall has the best wings in town and a decent pizza too.

Is Mamma Lucrezia's even open anymore? It used to be pretty good, I agree, but didn't they close the restaurant and just start running a catering business or something? For what it's worth, Mamma Lucrezia's pizza was never as good as the Hofbrau.
Yes it's open. For what it's worth I said IMO. You obviously have a different opinion.

Yes it's open. For what it's worth I said IMO. You obviously have a different opinion.

Yes, clearly we're all subject to our own opinions. I think Hofbrau is the best pizza in central PA and don't believe it's close. IMO. ;)

Stupid question, but how does a town like State College not have great pizza on every corner?

Reactions: Creek Side
Been a fan of 8 mile. Definitely a solid option.

Best in town…
Facia Luna
Margherita Pizza

Ville Billy in the Nittany Mall has the best wings in town and a decent pizza too.
Villie Billy's is another one we frequent. It helps that it's close to where I live. Haven't had their wings yet, but now I really want to try them. Better than the Hublersburg Inn?

They do. But as a not too far removed college student I can assure you it was always about quantity over quality.
I remember having pretty decent pizza in SC back in the 80's during the summers I was there. That said, while at Bloom, it was everywhere. Pizza and cosmos. We would get cheesesteaks or turkey cosmos for $2.50 delivered. Lived on turkey cosmos in college. Well, that and venison and trout.

They do. But as a not too far removed college student I can assure you it was always about quantity over quality.
Acme pizza was horrid but it was also like $1.50 for half of a pie. Staggering home at 2am it was definitely about quantity.

I'm not saying it's gone away completely, but the number of pizza joints in town has definitely shrunk. Still a handful--especially the late-night cheap as possible variety, but there are way more Sushi, Hibachi, Indian, Thai, Mexican, and "Bowl" type places these days.

Pizza and Stoney's was damn near free food back then, especially the Stoney's.

Reactions: nittinsc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT