ADVERTISEMENT

State by state breakdown

Anybody have the numbers?

tom hiddleston i had no choice GIF by BBC

Last edited:
There is one state for every state and sometimes one state for a person or more and no state for everyone except their state of mind which can change from time to time. I offer you the run on state of the state.

anybody want to go a step further and figure out how many of the freshman are from what states?
That’s in a long Matscouts article full of great stats posted this morning. Guessing it’s behind a paywall (I’m a subscriber), so I can’t share. But a ton of great stuff if you’re a subscriber or care to shell out the $15 to be one for a month.

Pa - 2 champs (Levi and Carter)

1 each for Az, NY, In, GA, OH,WI, MD and MN

1 M2 champ (club in existence about 6-7 years or so); no Sebolt champs
M2 = 55.0
Levi 26.0
Kasak = 19.0
Scott = 4.5
Duvall = 2.5
Swisher = 1.5
Urbas = 1.5
Pine = 0.0

M2 would've placed 11th at nationals, 1 pt behind OKST, and ahead of Missouri, NC State among others.

And more than 2x the score of All-Elite Rutger.

@mcpat - you gotta shake your head sometimes:

[IMG alt="TNTwrestle"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/iowa/data/avatars/m/8/8542.jpg?1484686219[/IMG]

TNTwrestle

HR MVP​

Why on earth would Carl move from Pennsylvania to Iowa? How could that be a move up for him? He’s on top of the world, dominating D1 while sitting in the middle of the best high school wrestling in the country.
Why is 2/3 or more of his line-up consistently from other states if PA kids are so great?

PA had the most all americans again with 10. Ohio had 7. Wisconsin, NJ and CA had 5. I do believe Iowa had the most per capita.
Beau Bartlett: Wyoming Seminary, PA
Tyler Kasak: Bethlehem Catholic, PA
Levi Haines: Biglerville High, PA
Carter Starocci: Erie Cathedral Prep, PA

85 points

2nd place Cornell: 72.5 points

38 PSU National Champions coached by Cael. Half are from PA. And the OP (on GIA) says why did Cael go to PA; our high school wrestling isn’t all that.
I kind of agree with GIA on this one. Looking at Iowa's national champions I don't see any from PA over the last 3 years and going back 7 years there's only one from PA. 🤷‍♀️

38 PSU National Champions coached by Cael. Half are from PA. And the OP (on GIA) says why did Cael go to PA; our high school wrestling isn’t all that.
Sports are cyclical. Cael is going more national right now in terms of roster composition, and why not? If the best guys in literally ALL OF AMERICA want to wrestle for us, uh, sign me up.

But the basis of Penn State's excellence will always be our central location amidst the best recruiting territory in the sport: the combined power of PA, NJ, and OH. Being a national recruiting power is great, but having a great base is crucial. Ask Oklahoma State. Oklahoma high school wrestling is a shadow of its past, which is a big problem for the Pokes.

And it wasn't that long ago we had national title teams with a majority Pennsylvania lineup anyway. Like Nico's senior year. 6/10 starters from PA that year.

Reactions: creamery freak
Sports are cyclical. Cael is going more national right now in terms of roster composition, and why not? If the best guys in literally ALL OF AMERICA want to wrestle for us, uh, sign me up.

But the basis of Penn State's excellence will always be our central location amidst the best recruiting territory in the sport: the combined power of PA, NJ, and OH. Being a national recruiting power is great, but having a great base is crucial. Ask Oklahoma State. Oklahoma high school wrestling is a shadow of its past, which is a big problem for the Pokes.

And it wasn't that long ago we had national title teams with a majority Pennsylvania lineup anyway. Like Nico's senior year. 6/10 starters from PA that year.
For whatever it's worth:

The best college football team ever was 1994 Penn State. They were every bit as good as 1971 Nebraska or 2001 Miami. 5/11 offensive starters - by far the best offense ever - were from Pennsylvania. I believe the defense was 5 or 6 for 11. I'd have to look. The rest came mostly from surrounding states. Cael is basically doing what Joe did. The foundation is Pennsylvania's best, the rest is the best of whatever we can get to join that awesome foundation.

Reactions: mcpat

You know I used to buy I to that recruiting in Pa stuff but I'm not so sure anymore. It seems Cael has moved recruiting nationwide. I mean we still have better high school wrestling but clubs are putting a dent in that. I'm amazed Rutgers doesn't do better new jersey has some seriously good wrestlers

You know I used to buy I to that recruiting in Pa stuff but I'm not so sure anymore. It seems Cael has moved recruiting nationwide. I mean we still have better high school wrestling but clubs are putting a dent in that. I'm amazed Rutgers doesn't do better new jersey has some seriously good wrestlers
Joe drew a 500-mi radius circle around State College and called that his primary recruiting region.

Of course he went outside that for the right kids. But that was the focus.

Cael has always been willing to go farther for the right kids -- Morgan McIntosh early on. But with PA, NJ, NY, and OH all being among the strongest states, he can build a formidable roster from nearby.

M2 and the other clubs help with that. As do the National Preps teams nearby -- Kingston is a lot closer than STL for recruiting Lilledahl.

Joe drew a 500-mi radius circle around State College and called that his primary recruiting region.

Of course he went outside that for the right kids. But that was the focus.

Cael has always been willing to go farther for the right kids -- Morgan McIntosh early on. But with PA, NJ, NY, and OH all being among the strongest states, he can build a formidable roster from nearby.

M2 and the other clubs help with that. As do the National Preps teams nearby -- Kingston is a lot closer than STL for recruiting Lilledahl.
Joe had a lot of VaBeach kids

But even this, our 4 starters from PA high schools alone outscored 2nd place Cornell by 12.5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT