ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci Interview -Olympics

zubrus1

Dec 10, 2016

Pretty clear the goal is an Olympic Gold Medal and not 5 NCAA titles

3:25 in for the question

I read that as he plans to wrestle a truncated folk schedule next year, win the Olympics then call it a day in wrestling. That's precisely what he said his plan was on his FloWrestling interview before the All Star dual. I think when he says "if I come back and wrestle", he meant about #5 (since he said he's going to win the Olympics then after that, college wrestling is too boring for him, especially if he has #4 already) but he definitely said he wants to be a 4 timer and chance to do it with AB I bet would be special for him. I can see why winning #5 wouldn't intrigue him though, it would be insanity but he's also the only one with a chance to do it so it might not add much to his legacy since nobody else got that chance.

Big balls as he says. He is so confident and speaks his mind come what may. I know what he says but it will be hard to pass up a shot at 5 unless he wins gold and he’ll have to thru Burroughs for that right?

Big balls as he says. He is so confident and speaks his mind come what may. I know what he says but it will be hard to pass up a shot at 5 unless he wins gold and he’ll have to thru Burroughs for that right?
He’ll have to go through Dake or Taylor. But, they’re all in the same room so he should have a good idea where he stands and how to close the gap between now and then.

Plans were made to change. Let's take it one season (and the Olympic cycle) at a time and see what happens. While it may seem like a step backward in Carter's eyes, winning 5 NCAA Championships cements a wrestling legacy that will likely never be matched and that's got to appeal to his ego at some point.

Still hoping to see Carter on the mat for two more PSU seasons even if in a limited capacity.

He’ll have to go through Dake or Taylor. But, they’re all in the same room so he should have a good idea where he stands and how to close the gap between now and then.
That’s probably why Cael brought Dake in. Nolf (Dake) and Starocci (Taylor) are their replacements for 2028. Wait your time grasshopper and learn from your graybeards.

So in the USA room are Gillman, RBY, NLee, Zain, Nolf, Dake, Taylor, Starocci, Brooks, McIntosh, Snyder, and Kerk.

Who am I missing?

That’s probably why Cael brought Dake in. Nolf (Dake) and Starocci (Taylor) are their replacements for 2028. Wait your time grasshopper and learn from your graybeards.

So in the USA room are Gillman, RBY, NLee, Zain, Nolf, Dake, Taylor, Starocci, Brooks, McIntosh, Snyder, and Kerk.

Who am I missing?
Sounds like he wants to be in MMF well before 28. 24 is his shot at the Olympics. If he doesn’t make it, then there’s a chance he’ll be back for #5.

Reactions: hlstone
Expect him to wrestle for PSU next year. NIL will be a factor in his decision to wrestle the year after the Olympics. If the $$ is there, I could see him putting MMA on hold a year. I don't think it has to be a dollar to dollar match but it will have to be significant.

Be interesting to see if Carter joins Bo’s training gym in SC. I would guess RBY heads back to AZ but no real insight. Would love it if State College is able to have a stable of top flight MMA guys at multiple weights similar to NLWC

I think he said previously on flow he plans to go 74kg for Olympics. I wonder how tough of a cut that will be. Seems like a lot

Who am I missing?
I don’t think anyone should ever have to “wait their time”, he will be learning and trying to beat him. As will Nolf. And don’t count out Nolf. He is close IMO.

Reactions: hlstone
Plans were made to change. Let's take it one season (and the Olympic cycle) at a time and see what happens. While it may seem like a step backward in Carter's eyes, winning 5 NCAA Championships cements a wrestling legacy that will likely never be matched and that's got to appeal to his ego at some point.

Still hoping to see Carter on the mat for two more PSU seasons even if in a limited capacity.
I don't really see any upside to going for 5. He'll only have done it because no one had the chance. Presumably Cael would have won 5, and any of the others might have also but they never got the chance. Huge downside though if you win the fourth but lose in the fifth. Nothing to gain IMO. Win your fourth and cement your legacy

Ego - what makes you think Carter has an ego?

I don't really see any upside to going for 5. He'll only have done it because no one had the chance. Presumably Cael would have won 5, and any of the others might have also but they never got the chance. Huge downside though if you win the fourth but lose in the fifth. Nothing to gain IMO. Win your fourth and cement your legacy
Technically that is not true, every freshman that wrestled in Carter’s first year had the opportunity, he was just the only Feshman to win a NC that year.

Carter said at the PSWC banquet last year that he was looking at 4 not 5. I know things can change, but those words came directly from Carter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT